Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭

Black Squirrels - Fairfield Parish Council

The latest estimates show there could be as many as 25,000 in the east of England. Around Hitchin and Letchworth the black squirrels already outnumber greys and could be dominant throughout the...

Mick-I actually saw one while running a x-country race.

Still about having a read every so often.Sorry to hear about the health issues some are going through.For myself i am still running albeit a tad slower.Will be 72 in may so Johns excellent times are safe.

Regards Ray 

• Options
    Ray
    How the devil are you?  Good to see/hear from you again after all this time :)

Talking of time(s) you are catching Mick and I up - in age terms at least - but I imagine you are still out in front in running times.

Good info on the black squirrel population.  I had read somewhere that they drive out the greys but as they are essentially the same animal I can't see where they would get such dominance from.

do please stick around - it's not as though you can jet off to family in Australia any time soon!

• Options
    Mick
    17C -  B)!!
    It's a sign of something when you have to rest up for a training run :)

WP
    6 mile walk is not to be sniffed at :)
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good to see you Ray! Stick around! Would be good to be back at Hyde Park one day!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Ray - good to hear from you . . 

alehouse
    - good news re heart - enhanced by the confirmation that you are still a well trained athlete! 

WP - kudos for the walking - would be easy to let head drop at curtailed running, but you're still getting out there - decent distances too! Re walking poles - after finding walking on uneven terrain challenging (particularly if legs stiff from running - i.e. most of the time) :) , I obtained a single pole, and find it beneficial.

John - brilliant stuff with your 5K - irrespective of the wind;  to misquote Delia - "I'd be having it"  👍  

Mick - good to give the legs some air.  Agreed, we runners are poor at taking our own advice 

TS - don't be too hard on yourself, TS - but as with advice, so it often is with this too. Eg this afternoon did my 5K again;  early on was berating myself for being "unfit", and that it shouldn't feel such hard work, but I gave myself a talking to - because I also saw the feature on the ex-marine, so immediately felt ashamed of myself.  

Dave
  • Options
    Dave: Thanks for info and for boost to my confidence with walking:-) walking poles arrived yesterday just need the rubber tip to arrive and I am good to go.

6 miles walking again this morning very very windy and cold but nice to do something.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good jaunt again, WP!  

5 miles round trip this morn - dropping off Mothers Day card at care home, and books at my friend's.  Long sleeve top & gilet to ward off the wind - but my route was urban and fairly sheltered, so ended up getting a fair dab on !  

Dave
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Ray,
    Interesting stuff on the black squirrel. We obviously have lots of them here and they seem to exist ok with the greys but seem to stay mainly in urban areas. The red squirrels, which are a lot smaller, seem to prefer the rural areas. The black squirrels are much slower and there are a lot of predators around here so it is unusual to see them around my deck. We also see the occasional white squirrel which is a muted grey or black as they look exactly the same but white.

TS,
    My attitude to running has changed, I no longer train for anything. Each run is an event and my goal is to keep running and do whatever it takes to keep running. Our running days are numbered, I know that, I just want to enjoy each one.

Back to winter running. As I was driving to meet up with the boys I saw a young runner and he was in shorts. It was -5c with a windchill of -13c, not even in my youth!!
    7.7k done in pleasant conditions with lots of chatting. They were 4 of us and we were wearing the usual mix of colours and styles. This prompted a heckle from a group of women that we could at least wear colour coordinated outfits. Yes, I could just see the conference call before the run arguing about who was going to wear what.

Mick
  • Options
    Dave: That was a nice walk and combining Mum and and friend as well:-) You reminded me about my gilet must dig it out .

Mick: Honestly who cares what colours you chaps wear for your run;-)

I am overjoyed to announce I have run!! 3.5 miles on the cycle path as flatter all good could feel dull ache on the uphill part but all fine.Off for a walk later in a woodland. :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WP
    good to see you back running - just take it easy as running puts more strain through the back

Dave
    definitely need a wind break out there!  good bit of multi tasking on that run- hope the card and book didn't get too sweaty!

Mick
    I am with you on just getting out and enjoying it while I can.  75 in 10 days time so another year ticks by :/
    My attitude has changed so much recently that when someone passes me I don't even give them a hard time for a few seconds!  Does this mean I am losing my competitive streak?
    LOL to colour coordination amongst male runners!  At least that's all you got heckled for :)
    I would be outraged I say, outraged to be heckled by a group of women when out running.  Truly appalling sexist behaviour making the streets unsafe for male runners - time for a Twitter outrage ;)!!

Wild, cold blustery morning here and felt smug with my choice of a wind jacket over a base layer.
    Managed 4 miles in 40:40 so some slight improvement and not too weighed down with my refreshments whilst watching the rugby yesterday. 

Amazing result - all players stayed on the pitch and no controversial refereeing decisions!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - that was a run, not a walk !!   ;)   and no, TS - a rucsac (small enough to fold up and carry in my hand after deliveries complete) held the items, so no damage done!  

WP - great to hear you've had a run !  Woodland walk sounds appealing too - I have a walk scheduled with the former Mrs B tomorrow. 

Mick - I think it would be splendid to have a "colour co-ordinated run "  - maybe something like this ?  
    Still got it what happened to fitness superstar Mr Motivator  Fitness   The Guardian

TS - pleased you had an improved run. Must say though, given that we had very similar HM times at age 60, your pace now, at your age, is very impressive - I'm 66, and tend to be around that - as per today . . .   

12 miles to keep the now established habit going. Over to the lakes, but didn't fancy laps, so headed out on a trail which starts there.  9 miles in an out and back, then one lap to finish off the 12. Enjoyed the mostly firm dirt surface (just one or two v.muddy parts).

Purchased a brace of cold ones on the way home - they are still in the fridge; may have them as I watch Mick's team face the enemy in an hour or so :) 

Dave
  • Options
    Dave

uuuuggg - that picture put me off my hot choccie :)

Thank you for massaging my ego a bit - but you are doing 3 times the distance I can manage currently at the same pace!!
    Another good distance run there - 12 miles covers a lot of bases as far as aerobic development is concerned.

Beguiled by some early morning sunshine to venture out in base layer and tee shirt - regretted that when I turned into the wind!
    Anyway 3 and bit miles done without resorting to walking in 30:23 (10:05m/m) with avHR 127 and a max of 141 so just about within normal bounds for me.

Just had a Hash trail for tomorrow posted which will involve a mile to the trail route, 4 miles on footpaths and then a mile home - mmmmm
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Dave.: Sorry about confusion over your run! Well done on 12 miler you are really in a good place.I hope walk with the former Mrs D goes well.

Torque:Great job on the miles this morning it was warm here.Good luck tomorrow on Hash trail.

I woke up tired and achy with back so opted to walk 4 miles over the hills then 2 miles up village for supplies and drop in script and post parcel.

It maybe running will be every other day till back is ready to run every day!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    Thank you very much for the fashion tips but ...
    Canadians are not so PC as Brits and I would likely suffer some serious abuse if I turned up in that outfit, but don't let me stop you just make sure you post lots of pics.

WP,
    Making use of your miles I see.

Couldn't face the minus frigid winds today so back down to the man cave and 5k on the rower listening to rock and pop from the 70s and 80s. It is -21c with the windchill but rumour has it it will be +7c tomorrow.
    The dog doesn't mind so we will be off for our walk this afternoon hopefully it will be only -13c.

Mick
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Decent run yesterday, Birch. Indecent photo though. 

Enjoy the hash trail, TS. Remember, start off slowly and then ease off! Or ease off the post hash refreshments if it is early in the day!

Sorry to hear that your weather has taken a turn for the worse, Mick! A bit like Spurs' performance. Won't mention my team's win against the Blades. Disappointed that they didn't score more than five. 

So, medical bulletin. Had a bad few days with Friday night being particularly poor. Blood pressure ranged from 180/90 down to 91/60 and every point in between in a couple of hours!
    Went to the surgery today and had a blood pressure monitor fitted for 24 hours, plus had an armful of blood taken. Saw the GP and she is referring me to an immunologist next. And then perhaps a neurologist. 
    Tomorrow I see the oncologist post prostate treatment and the GP has written to him to see if he can shed a light on what is currently going on. 
    And I am to book an optician's appointment to see if that has any bearing on things. All fun and games and gives me something to occupy my time. 
    On a positive note I have been feeling quite a bit better today, and have managed three short walks...with two to the surgery as their new telephone system isn't working! Over 9000 steps, which is by far the highest for over a month. Progress!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    alehouse
    that is a most disturbing and unusual set of symptoms -are you aiming for a place in the unique record books?
    Blood pressure simply shouldn't vary like that unless it was dodgy equipment?
    Hope the 24 hour monitor shows a more positive set of results
    Amazed and delighted you feel somewhat better amongst all that - keep it up!

Mick
    wow - that is a big change yet again. Definitely not shorts weather :)

WP
    so 6 miles in all walking - just as well you are taking it easy :)

Tipping it down as I left the house this morning so sensibly clad in Gortex jacket.  Rain stopped after half a mile and sun came out - very warm +12C!

First mile was straight up to the highest point in town and where I could cut the trail and then. knowing the area very well, I cunningly ran it so that I took advantage of the lay of the land to spend much of it going downhill, only leaving myself with a similarly steep hill back up at the end.
    A bit shorter than I had guessed so only 4.9 miles some of which was on very muddy and watery trail - gave the knees a good working over!
  • Options
    Alehouse: Blimey I hope they can get to the bottom of the issues but glad you are feeling better.

Torque:Sound good use of the course but 4.9 miles you were not tempted to round  it up :)

Mick: WOW on your temps they are up and down like a yoyo.

I ran this morning 3.6 miles tried to run uphill back said no so cycle track  which felt okay.Then a 2.4 mile walk to make 6 for the day.We shall see how back behaves today.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    ...  not after that!!!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    alehouse, pleased you are positive amongst the catalogue of  issues-nice 9K steps, too . .

Mick - sadly :) I don't have a smartphone, so I'll have to disappoint re the fashion pics . . .  good "rock and row" session  . . .   

W.Poppy -  good work - 12 miles on your feet in 2 days not to be sniffed at . . .   

TS - good couple of days for you also - (I think we can allow 8 miles for the 4.9 + "3 and a bit")  :)    that pic could have been taken on my walk yesterday -3 and a bit hours - no idea how far, but first and last mile (approx) on tarmac, the rest on trails and muddy fields . .    I thought this would be therapeutic for my legs, after Sunday's 12 miler, but today they are feeling really quite tired and stiff (and some soreness in left hamstring)!   I've therefore taken a rest day (have hoovered carpets and cleaned bathroom floor, though) 😇 

Dave
  • Options
    I was just looking to see if the photo had posted from my phone.

From a sartorial point I was dressed in black leggings, black base layer and black Gortex jacket - very Beau Brummell :)  
    My socks were also black when I finished.................

Dave
    it is hard work walking on that stuff isn't it.  Never feel quite secure and 3+ hours on it was a lot more than I was out for.
    Good xtraining on the floors :)
    Cricket over?
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS, Dave,
    Do you really run on that, no wonder you need waterproof socks? How do you stop the splash from one foot soaking the other or is that a national secret?

Alehouse,
    Things are getting very complicated but I guess it does demonstrate that your brain is still working just keeping track of it all. Good luck with all the appointments and tests.

Only -3c, -7c with the windchill so I went for a 6.5k around the village. At least the wind dries up all the wet so no need for sealskinzs. A run with the boys scheduled for tomorrow when we are supposed to see +7c.

Mick

• Options
    Mick

another hasher who ran the trail a little later described it as a wide legged Pilates exercise as one planted a foot on either side of the mud/water where there was some green stuff.
    Trouble is, since lockdown, all the paths nearby have been taking a hammering as folk exercise.  I used to run that trail regularly some years ago as part of a longer run, it was always grass covered, and I never saw a soul on it.  Must have passed 8-10 people yesterday before 0800!!
    It got to 16C yesterday afternoon!

Legs, surprisingly, didn't feel too bad this morning, although I ached in other places, and managed my 3 and a bit miles in 30:27 (10:06m/m) with avHR 126 and a max of 142

Do I detect a slight improvement in my physiological state from its recent lows?
    Wait and see................
  • Options
    Dave: Great workout on the domestic's and that walk in those conditions!!

Mick enjoy the jaunt with the boys:-)

TOrque: Nice improvement and hope it continues.
    We have same problem too many people out early , late anytime will be glad to get my routes back to normal just me and an odd cyclist or runner.

Well this morning was surprising 4.35 miles running that is two days on the bounce and a 2 mile walk for supplies.The run was a wee bit faster.

Bodyfat news I have dropped 2% BF from 38.5 to 35.4% long may it continue.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WP
    good run and good news on the BF reduction.  How do you measure that?

well it was schoolkids blocking up pavements this morning as they appear to have finished the staggered start.  Fortunately I seem to have little difficulty in clearing a way through them - that's what happens when you have my mass :)

4 miles done in 40:37 (10:12m/m) with avHR 128 and a max of 144 on a pleasant, dry and chilled morning.
    That was okish - still a long way from the more fluid style of running I am used to but an upward tick
  • Options
    'allo, 'allo - where is everyone?

My photosensitive cells told me it was daylight at 0600 so the day has been going for quite a while. Not sure how the light managed to penetrate blackout blinds and curtains as it was misty outside but it's another sign that the year is moving on quite rapidly.

Back to the 3 mile stint this morning in 30:37 (10:11m/m) which felt enough.

Big mileage week - by Sunday I may have done 20+ miles!
  • Options
    20 + miles well done Torque a nice week.

Sadly after me carrying milk in rucsac my back was back to being a royal pain so I walked 6 miles yesterday with walking poles.Today 6 miles without and back does not ease till 3 miles in .I imagine back running by Monday!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Still jealous of your running and/or walking everyone! Seems a long way off for me! Last ran over 6 weeks ago and I am now at the stage where I must be rapidly losing fitness. 

Medical bulletin, day 43...Long telephone conversation with a consultant this morning: next step is an MRI scan of my head and neck plus yet more blood tests. Feeling marginally better today...but nowhere near how I should be feeling! Still light headed and generally unsteady, with a dull head ache: and that is when I am at my current best! All the medical people think that it is viral but not Covid and that it will pass in time...but we don't know how long! 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    concerning times, alehouse - here's hoping that the time it ( whatever "it" is) takes  to pass  will indeed be at the shorter end of the scale.  Best Wishes from here, anyway 👍 
  • Options
    WP
    rucksack on your back?!!
    Not a good idea when trying to get over a bad back.  The neural messages take a long while to recover from a spasm in the muscles and get back to normal as they literally burn out and need retraining on how to function properly

alehouse
    that is a depressing read indeed and it has been going on for a long time now.  I do hope you get some relief soon and a rapid improvement.

Dave
    what have you been up to - or had that long muddy walk done for you as well?