Options

The Thousand Mile Club - 2019

Comments

• Options
    Well done Cal, on the 1000 and also the 16!!

The heat beat me this morning. Only 3.58 miles

YTD 1136.47 

• Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Morning all,great running everyone.Been away on holiday to Morfa Nefyn,on the Llyn Penniusla,great trail runs.

Happy 60th birthday,Harmander.

Congrats on your wedding anniversary Dubai.10 days of peace quiet sounds great.

Well done on your 5k Hobie.Well done on passing 800 as well.

MrM2, you seem to be getting stronger and making a good recovery .

Well done on passing 1000 Cal.

28.07- 6.22
    29.07- 7
    30.07- 6.30
    31.07- 5.84
    1.08 - 6.25
    2.08- 5.31
    3.08 - 12
    YTD - 1011.15 miles

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    JD1...Thanks, and congrats on your consec. days running with the 12' taking you through 1000'!!
    Donnie2...Thanks, and see you are building up your longer runs.
    Cal...Nice 16', taking you through 1000'!

Easy 3' on grass yesterday, and feeling that my recovery is on a knife edge. Still not sure why some days are less comfortable than others. Too many stretches? Too many runs? There are some good signs, but not with a strong 'running pay-off'. Asking questions a dozen times a day, with no clear answers. Need to be patient.
    YTD:850'.
  • Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Thanks,MrM2,feels like a false summit though! Compare how you were a few weeks ago I feel you're making small steps in the right direction .
    5.08 - 9
    YTD - 1020.15
  • Options
    Congrats on the Anniversary Dubai Runner,
    Well done on the 1000 Cal & JD1, Hobie for the 800.
    MrM2 - you are just going through one of those spells, it will pass - trust me (am going through one myself with this 10:1 lark) Not being one for gadgets I tried the manual looking at my watch for the times to start running, stop running, start walking and stop walking and mucked it up on the last change over in the 22.07km (13.71 miler) and came home 122 seconds over - my son just installed one of those Apps on my phone now - will give it another go tomorrow.
    Since last posting I did:
    13.71 x 2 and a 10.19 making my 
    YTD = 1680.55 miles

Dubai Runner, you are right, although I don't get paid to be a pacer, the freebies are worth much more so I am going to perfect this version of Jeff Galloway method that Running Room want me to use. I know I can - because it is a challenge.
  • Options
    JD1 congrats on passing the 1000.

Harmander, I know you can do it. Enjoy the freebies. Although personally I don't agree with  pacers...

MrM2 small steps and patience - which is easy to say but I'm the most impatient person in the world!

Frustrated that I'm not getting any longer runs in. But the heat is pretty intense at the minute.

5.8 3.67
    6.8 4.52

YTD 1144.66

• Options
    Why don't you agree with pacers, Dubai?

7 miles today - a tempo sandwich with the middle 3 miles at roughly LT pace (why is it so hard to run three miles at the pace I was racing 10 miles at last weekend?) Achilles was grumpy. I guess I did have quite a heavy week last week.

YTD: 1022
  • Options
    It's OK Dubai Runner, 'Er Indoors never agrees with me.  I always have to agree with her - it keeps the peace and I don't breach it because I am Justice of The Peace lol
  • Options
    GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Hi all - it's a long time since I've visited this thread, so congratulations to everyone who has already reached the 1000-mile mark. I've been plagued with a mystery calf injury for several weeks, so I've barely done any running in June or July - but it finally seems to be getting better, probably because I got round to booking in with the doctor (on physio's advice) in the hope of getting a scan done - hoping to cancel that appointment now! I was lucky in that I could still hike (considering I had a hiking holiday last month) and do other things at the gym like cross-trainer/bike/stepper (weird that all these things were ok when I could barely struggle through even a very short run), but I still really missed the running.

I was trying out a new training plan that had me running 5 times a week rather than the 3 or occasionally 4 I usually do - with hindsight, it was stupid to rush straight into the plan without building up to it - I thought I'd be ok, seeing as the weekly mileage wasn't very different from what I was already doing, but my legs evidently thought otherwise and were not ready for the change of intensity. Lesson learned! Anyway,
    I managed a steady 4 miles on Sunday and 4.2 today, which is the most I've done in ages - hope I can now start gradually building things up again. 

Cal, agree with you about race pace. It's really weird how you can find that extra speed during a race that just seems totally impossible in training - I find the psychology quite fascinating.

MrM2, sorry to read of your injuries - it all sounds hugely frustrating, although it does seem as if you're well on the way to getting back out there finally. Patience is definitely the thing, but it's so much easier said than done! I think these days that feel like setbacks are not necessarily something to worry about too much - maybe the equivalent of a non-injured 'bad run' day (inevitably happens every now and again).

YTD 665 - and I hope to be adding to this sooner rather than later! 
  • Options
    Welcome back Gipfel, hopefully the calf will behave.

Cal, I feel running is the simplest of sports, and as close as I get to religion! It's about oneself against the elements/ distance/ oneself. Pacers whether for elites or people trying to get round a marathon in 7 hours (really!!??), is not for me, simple as that. Everyone has their own opinion and I respect Harmander for the work he does for community/ getting people into running and achieving their goals. 

Second run of the day, just 3.15 miles before working night shift.

YTD 1147.81 miles

• Options
    Welcome back, Gipfel? Was it a small tear? I had a grade 1 tear a few years ago and it knocked me out for about 6-7 weeks. Very painful initially but I was able to walk around on it after a few days - just no running. Anyway, hope you have no further problems.

Dubai - fair enough. I've used pacers in marathons a couple of times but not for the full race. The first time I was trying to see how long I could hang with the 4:15 pacer (about 18 miles, it turns out, which was more than I expected) as I had a best of 4:29. Managed to take 11 minutes off it.
    The second time I was hoping to stick with the 4:15 pacer the whole way but ended up going past him at around 7 miles or so and that's when I got my PB at 4:10:42.
    I am quite happy running on my own but I do think they can help (although the pace bus can be crowded, which means using additional energy to avoid kicking or treading on people - my main reason for going past the pacer at Chester!)

Anyway, 8 recovery done this morning. Lovely out.

YTD: 1030
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Ytd: 640.9 + 3.1 (parkrun) 6.2 + 6.2 = 656.4

Set of yesterday for my weekly longer run, 10 mile got to get some marathon miles in, it started to rain. Call me weak but not prepared for it and not much enjoyment to be had , so as the course included several laps of a lake, I headed home at 10k!!

I think pacers are great to encourage the newbie runner, but I tend to side with dubai on this debate. 
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 1000s up JD1 and Cal, and to everyone else plus commiserations to the injured, MrM2, its all a rollercoaster, ups and downs but we keep going!

The pacer thing; I have run London with the 4:15 pacer in 2015 (we might have actually run together Cal, who knows) and had the easiest marathon I've ever run, but that was probably because I was in 4hour fit and taking it easy. So I would recommend them and have every admiration for how they can get you round within seconds of their/your targets - Well done Harmander.

How Harmanders going to cope with running a Galloway race I'm not sure. If you're used to running at a set pace to get you round in a given time its just an added complication if you've got to walk every 10 minutes, but I suppose if your set target is 5 1/2 hours? then you may have to allow for walkers.

I do actually own a Galloway timer which I've used for ultras, although I prefer 5:2, but can recommend getting one, Harmander, but that's because I don't like carrying a phone, and find a little pager clipped to my shorts thats buzzes every so often is more convenient.

• Options

Well done everyone, too many great miles being logged for me to keep up with.

I was sweeper for our club 5k race on the beach last night, we had 129 kids (2k race)and 107 in the 5k adult race...I only misplaced 1 kid who apparently decided that sandcastles were more fun than running.

Quickest on the night was a 16 minute 21sec 5k...scary fast.

823 miles YTD

• Options
    Doubtful, senidM, as I've never managed to get into London! I've done Manchester 3 times, Liverpool 3 times, Chester once and Vienna once. Yorkshire is next.
  • Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the congrats on passing 1000.

Don't have a problem with pacers on the whole,but 7 hours pacers I do.

Well back gipfel,glad you're getting back out again.Calf injuries can be awful and take ages to heal.

Dubai,the heat must be really intense for you to keep your runs short.

6.08 - 10.07
    7.08 - 5.35
    YTD - 1035.57 miles 

• Options
    JD - I know? That's walking the whole way, and not particularly fast.

10 miles this morning. Felt tired to start with - cumulative fatigue and all that. Hopefully a rest day will sort me out for my mad Saturday.

YTD: 1040
  • Options
    JD1, 46 degrees with a heat index of 53 degrees. But did manage a stagger of 4.06 miles

YTD 1151.87

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Greetings All; great to read of so much good running going on...even with crazy temps. Dubai. You are going to need a few more long holidays in Thailand if you want to prepare for Comrades!?
    Good to have Gipfel and senidM popping in again. Gipfel... looks like we are both on a similar 'return'; with a very gradual build-up. All the best.
    Harmander....'old dog and new tricks' comes to mind as you work on a 'new' scheme. Also for me as I work on a Walk/Run approach for a little longer!
    Hobie...you only lost one; that's relatively successful?! Some days I also feel that 'sandcastles' might be a better option!!

Had a session with a different physio yesterday. Wanted to see if there was something missing in my recovery which seems to be a bit 'hit and miss'. Well, I was introduced to 'dermatomes' and dry-needles....(I felt very 'fringe' to say the least) Anybody worked with similar? However, it was all very convincing. He put me on a treadmill to check my running form; there wasn't much right but that might have been due to the fact that he set the belt off too fast, and I could barely stay on my feet!! But he made a few valid points about foot-strike, etc.....So, today: 5k with alternate 5 mins run/walk, and a focus on more of a fore-foot strike. Always something to learn! YTD:853'.
  • Options
    GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the welcome backs - Cal, yes, I do think it was probably a small tear - the timescales you mention for yourself sound quite similar to what I've experienced.  I'm hoping I'm over the worst of it now, but I'm being careful! Did another 5 miles yesterday - all seems to be ok, fingers crossed (for a supposedly non-superstitious person, I'm touching a lot of wood at the moment).

Hobie, the beach 5k sounds fun - I can't believe that quickest time - fast enough on a road race, let alone on the sand!

MrM2, good to see you back after your frustrating last run - all sounds very interesting with the new physio. Keep us posted on how things go.

Hope everyone has a great weekend's running. I'm looking forward to getting out on Sunday, even if it is in galeforce winds and torrential rain (seems to be a good chance of that) - it's rather difficult to imagine Dubai at the moment!

YTD 670
  • Options
    Evening all, MrM2 Comrades is next June so I have the perfect Dubai winter to train. Booked my hotel in Durban so hopefully it will all come together.

Trying out new shoes today, Adidas Pureboost since Saucony have pulled out of the Middle East. Not sure what I think of them yet.

9.8 3.16
    10.8 am 4.16/ pm 3.65

YTD 1162.84 miles

• Options
    Absolutely knackered after a full-on day. I equalled my all time parkrun PB at Hackney Marshes (24:39) which surprised me as I wasn't feeling well yesterday and it was rather windy, but the wind really picked up during the Pride 10K afterwards so I was pleased just to run my third fastest 10K there. Nice medal and goody bag, and a great atmosphere, so I would do this event again.
    My club's sports day (a fun event) was another matter - I did have a go at the shot put, which I'm rubbish at (I'm strong, but have no technique) and the 100m (legs didn't want to work, which isn't surprising) and the egg and spoon, but left the other events alone.
    Very tired now. I'm claiming 10 miles for the day as I did some warm up jogging around, and since I pretty much always round down, I figure it's only fair.

YTD: 1050
  • Options
    And out for an easy 10 today. I say easy, because it felt like the last 10 miles of a marathon (though that was sort of the point!)

YTD 1060
  • Options
    Sounds like an interesting Saturday Cal. Why don't you just count what you actually run, if you round down by 0.5 a day that would make a huge difference over the year.

I'm envious of the longer runs taking place. Had to drive down to Abu Dhabi this morning to pick up the family. Was home for 0900 and went out for a run but was already 43 degrees, I only managed 2.55 miles - I'm taking that 5/100th Cal, it was hard earned!! Roll on the winter.

YTD 1165.39 miles

• Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Evening all

Dubai, looks like you've definitely made your mind up about doing Comrades,something to get stuck into over winter.Been reading up about it and it sounds like a very tough race.

8.08 - 8.08
    11.08 - 6.2 - 10k Tatton park race,finished with a time of 42:52,not my best race,on to the next!
    YTD - 1049.85 miles

• Options
    Easier to add up, JD!

• Options
    Sorry for the lateness of my weekly input.
    Great to see the return of those who were temporarily missing - excellent performances by others and the miles just keep on growing.
    I have been practicing that 10:1 run/walk pattern but frankly I keep on getting it muddled up manually, so tried to use the Tabata App on my mobile (as recommended by a colleague at the Court no less) - I was all set to go and even managed to set it up with a ten second prep before crossing the start line at the Thames Meander marathon on Saturday. Heard the start ring, heard the stop running ring ten minutes into the run and waited to hear the start ring again but it just didn't happen - I got chatting to a lovely lady (roughly my age) who had just taken up marathon running with her husband who was also taking part but was a little faster than her. We both just meandered the course reminiscing about the bygone days and how we would put the world to rights. It was my slowest Thames Meander marathon ever but a thoroughly enjoyable one.
    Anyways, since my last posting I have run 13.71 miles twice and the marathon on Saturday making my 
    YTD = 1734.20 miles

Just been told about GymBoss interval bleeper - does anyone know about it?
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Yes Harmander, its the same product as a Galloway timer I mentioned in my earlier post, very useful little gadget, very simple, just bleeps/buzzes at given intervals, in your case 10:1. But that's all it does, what speed or how far is another story. Available on Amazon for about £18

Forgot to post my own YTD which is 612M, so on target for the year, just had my usual summer hiatus, but should be back on track by this weekend. Starting a series of Halves in the Isle of Wight this weekend and then got another 7 between now and Bedford in December plus various other races - should see me over the line by then I hope.

• Options
    Thank you senidM,
    That is all I need it to do - just wanted to know how long the battery life is and how it fares in wet weather?
    I control my speed (or my training does actually) but I just need an independent ' regular reminder' of when to vary my ace instead of having to work it out by constantly looking at my cheapo watch.
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Battery life is good, should think it would cope with about 10 marathons before needing replacing, but easy to carry an aa spare just in case! As far as I know its fine in wet weather, not sure if it would cope with a Tri, but don't think any of your runs go underwater, not intentionally anyway.