Options

Comrades 2021

Comments

• Options
    I believe the charities had to pay for the virtual places, same rate as the public, but they had a chance to buy them before we did. I guess it’s up to them if they then charge for them, or simply ask for minimum fund raising. 
  • Options
    Yep in both our cases the charity paid the £20 virtual entry fee but we have donated that back to them. Both charities asked what we thought we could bring in rather than dictating a minimum price. I am lucky in having a vast number of previous campaigns I can refer to online as evidence of what I can typically achieve, plus, if I get through the ethical approval hurdles my company will double donate what I collect up to a maximum of 5k USD. I've already brought in 7k GBP for them and haven't put a foot over the London start line, that still won't happen until 3rd Oct 2021! So I have brought in way over the 1.5k GBP I conservatively suggested to them was a realistic target in my original application... bear in mind too that I have been working with them for several years now, I typically collect for them too if I am successful in the London ballot and when I run other marathons.
    For my son we went to a charity that my wife supported and commited to raise £250 I have raised way more than that for them in the past too. I also said that whether they released a place or not we would continue to support them anyway. Great to see them provide a place, I thought I pitched the figure about right given it is "only" a virtual event, over the course of a year I would easily make personal donations at that mark anyway, just donated that total onto my son's justgiving page, so I don't feel "put out" at all by doing that; it's money I would have given anyway and now he can continue trying to bring a few more quid in for them without the worry of needing to hit the pledge we made.
    Yep SS I am doing my physio, but, it doesn't seem to be improving things much. Part of the reason you haven't seen anything on Strava from me in a while; running kinda aggravates the situation. I've had no physio guidance since covid hit, have been doing various additional exercises based on my own best guess as to where they were headed. Finally got off my arse today and ran 4 miles. Side is definitely reacting to that post run. I'll just continue with a bit of a build up towards 4th Oct and see how it goes. Have you sorted your 26 miles for the big day?
    Have you entered too McH?
  • Options
    Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Glad to see you're still doing the physio Lowrez. Surely they are open now so you can get a more personalised plan?

No route sorted for London. Guess I'll just go out the door and run for 26 miles.

Mc H - which Endurancelife events are you doing? I entered the Gower peninsular marathon last week. Wanted to do Suffolk but we have the grandchildren. Might enter Dorset in December too.
  • Options
    I am officially discharged SS, I think a lot of that went on when they were girding their loins for the covid tsunami. I am not complaining, they gave me choices and I was improving well at the time on a high having survived 777. Comrades hadn't been cancelled yet etc. The wave of event cancellations did have me easing off everything so I wonder if I had been more rigorous if I would be in a better position now. We'll see in these next few weeks. I've seen way worse. Chemo was suspended for some cancer patients; a local running club formed a socially distant guard of honourn a couple of months back as one of their number succumbed to a brain tumor... I think their diagnosis was terminal in any case, but they went earlier than expected due to the absence of treatment...
    I could always wander down the quacks and get a new referral but with covid slightly up on The Wirral I don't fancy sitting around in a waiting room full of sick people and then going back to physio for further regular risks of exposure.
    I love how most of us can just pop out for a marathon no problem :)

• Options
    Yes it's a bit weird. Going to endurancelife Gower I said to Mr SS "do you mind if I just do the marathon on the Saturday"  :) I moved a doggy holiday from Suffolk to Wales and it all just happened to coincide  :):)
  • Options
    Snail: yes, we did just get an email from Comrades. They are stuffing the goody bags for the South Africans, Bidolphs having stored them to this point and now transported them from Durban to Pietermaritzburg. It also mentioned Bonitas leaving (well, it thanked them for all their years of sponsorship).
    Lowrez: re. "I love how most of us can just pop out for a marathon no problem", I keep trying to explain to other runners in my club that it's easier to maintain a level of fitness where you can run a marathon or two any weekend than to reach that level of fitness. But most of them still train for a run a spring marathon then drop the long runs right back  down and let their endurance fade. A few are starting to understand what I mean.
    I double-marked 24 miles (Windsow to Henley) of the TP100 route yesterday (that is, I started a couple of hours after then main routemarkers did, added bits of barrier tape where I thought the distance between was too long, replaced the tape in a few places where people had torn it down, and added tape and arrows at the few places where I dithered despite the markings and .gpx route. And this morning I lead a group from my running club on a pleasant hour on trail at a moderate pace and my legs were fine.

• Options
    Snail, I love it! So glad I'm not the only one doing things like that.
  • Options
    Afternoon all, is anyone else thinking of deferring to 2022? I need to put next years leave in before the end of September (If I want priority), and I can’t see at the minute how Comrades will go ahead 13 June 2021. As I work in aviation, I’m just hoping to have a job by then!!
  • Options
    Debra: I agree, I prefer to just maintain a high level of fitness rather than the alternative up and down, was in Windermere for a couple of weeks and did the route of the Windermere marathon on Sunday just for fun I guess.  

I have also started entering a few more races, thanks to guidance from some of you on here.  Also Outlaw X (half IM distance tri) at the end of the month is still on.  Fingers crossed.

Dubai: I am a glass half full ... Im going for 2021 for now, but I do accept it could be later in the year.  Back in the old days we would have entered by 1 September.
  • Options
    Dubai, Peter R: It's frustrating - Centurion's SDW100 entries open in just over a week. I want to run Comrades if it's on. But if Comrades doesn't go ahead, or is postponed to later, I'll be frustrated that I'm not entered for SDW100. So do I enter SDW100, knowing I might be throwing away the money (can get partial refund) AND possibly taking a place from someone for whom it would be their goal race for the year???
  • Options
    Debra - I have the same dilemma. I’m planning to enter SDW100 as I think that will go ahead, whereas I’m not convinced that Comrades will take place in June - even if it does foreigners might not be allowed in - and we may still have to quarantine back in the UK...
  • Options
    It's definitely frustrating not knowing what's going on. Then there's local lockdowns which can obviously change everything too. It would probably be easier if Comrades announced now that they were going for September next year. Gives everything an extra 3 months instead of keep changing things. I"m planning on entering NDW100 again although it would have been pretty cool to see some of you at the SDW100

Peter - I did the inaugural Outlaw half. Glad its going ahead. Thanks for the thumbs up on sporting events allowing more than 6 people. It's all a bit confusing
  • Options
    Slow Duck: I might go ahead and enter as well. If Centurion end up with some of my money despite my not running it that's fine - it's been a difficult year for them and they've done marvels to get the races going ahead recently.
  • Options
    I’ve got to the stage where I’m quite chilled about not having any plans and no idea what events I might do next year. I’ve entered a few of the endurance life events, including Gower and Dorset(half). Had entered the Pembrokeshire one in a weeks time, but that got cancelled about 10 days ago...bit surprised as typically when I do them I’m lucky if there is another person in sight! But I guess they need some type of approval from local authorities or land owners. I’m doing the virtual London, I’m making an assumption I can just go out and do a leisurely 26 miles without any real training:-)
  • Options
    ... and you can follow me at https://tracking.racedirector.co.uk/event/5f588553a7f5c97933789e55#11.81/51.56129/-1.01166 if you're interested for CW50 tomorrow (and https://www.centurionrunning.com/live for going through the aid stations).

• Options
  • Options
    Mc Hilly - which distance are you doing at Gower? Is that the half for both Gower and Dorset? I've entered the marathon. Haven't broached Dorset yet with Mr SS but to be fair they are the only "holidays" we're getting at the moment so he shouldn't complain ;)
  • Options
    There was a post a few days ago in the UK and Ireland Facebook Comrades group of an SAA document listing Comrades happening on 26th September next year, but after a few comments it was declared as a typo? That's a very big typo!
  • Options
    debra good luck tomorrow 
  • Options
    Snail: thanks. I'm aiming to start 0715-0730. Heading for bed now!
  • Options
    Dubairunner, Peter R, I'm still unsure about 2021. I tend to think they'll do everything they can for it to go ahead, as it's the 100th anniversary, but that might mean postponing until September. So perhaps, 1owrez, that 'typo' was an insight into the back up plan.
    Debra, Slow Duck and SS, I've been thinking about SDW100 as well, but I'm hoping to put off having to decide for a bit longer by volunteering on this year's SDW100 in November, and so having the option of a volunteer's place. May still not know more about Comrades then, but it gives me another couple of months to decide. Always assuming things don't get so bad that this year's SDW100 gets cancelled.
    Debra, looking forward to following the tracker tomorrow. Looks like great weather for it. I've got a 10K round Kew Gardens on Sunday, but I shall be taking it easy to avoid injury and enjoying the view.
  • Options
    Debra, have a great run tomorrow. SS fairly sure I’ve entered the marathon at Gower and half at Dorset
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    McH how laid back indeed! "Yeah I might be in some races somewhere, sometime" :D
    Good luck tomorrow Debra, by the time I surface you could well be finished :D 
  • Options
    If it’s September that won’t work for me, 45 degrees here today. Not doing much running at the minute, plenty of swimming though..
  • Options
    Debra can't be far off finished. She's gone through the last aid station in 8 hours with 10 miles to go. In 2nd position for her age

• Options
    Tracker is showing just over 2 miles to go. Home in time for tea! She looks to have managed it really well again, slowly moving up through the field.
  • Options
    All done in just under 10 hours. Well done Debra
  • Options
    Another awesome achievement for Debra, an inspiration to all of us!
  • Options
    Super result well done Debra :)
  • Options
    Top work Debra. You have done the forum proud yet again :)