Options

A 1000 miles in 2022?

Comments

• Options
    TT - The weight loss streak is at a standstill but I cannot afford to rest on my laurels any longer - kickstarting a more intensive running from today. Am training some first timers for the Vitality Big Half and I am using the opportunity to become a bit more focused as pacing at the GNR the following week (and fingers crossed) the TCS London three weeks after the GNR.

14/05 - 7.25 
    15/05 - 10.25
    (17.50)

YTD = 700.42 miles
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    TT: thanks for the heads up about the humber bridge HM. Not sure. I'd like to do it but cricket occupies a lot of time in the summer, I'd reluctant to push family harmony by more time out. 

5 miles on Sunday after watching the puffins at Flamborough and Bempton cliffs. Great day out. Beautiful hipnotic birds. 

Ytd: 464.7
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on 600 TT & 700 Harmander very impressive.

Donnie, that sounds like a lovely day, great to see loads of wildlife out and about.

I have a confession....I'm not proud but I did a flat, road run at lunchtime today & I didn't hate it....there I've said it...feels good to free myself of that guilt....Hopefully I'll get over this with some trails, rivers & horse poo in the near future....there are a few places coming up in Man V Horse if anyone fancies this iconic race.

621 miles YTD
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie... Thanks, and well done for venturing into a flat run! (You'll get over it.)

TT... Thanks, and well done for passing 600'.

Harmander... Congrats on passing 700'.

Donnie... Puffins! Don't think I've ever seen a real, live one.

My 6' run, yesterday, included some repeated efforts over a 700m segment. Hard work.
    In contrast, today's run was a slow/steady 7', with rain.

YTD: 714' .
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Donnie2 Flamborough head is one of my favourite places, park at Seweby, catch the open top bus walk back to Brid for fish and chips then land train back to Seweby! Fabulous, food, scenery, wildlife and some exercise.

MrMr2 we have had the rain back again!

Hobie we understand........

Harmander when do you find out about London?

Out for a quick run before the first event of the day. Loads of runners out, and even had the shorts back on.......

YTD: 610.79
    EG: 11043

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    The only puffin I've ever seen has been on the spine of the books I read as a kid.

4 rubbish miles yesterday followed by 7 today. Stuff is still sore so I'm trying to get an appointment with my physio to see if he can sort it. 

YTD: 533
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Nice club run last night, started in the rain but cleared up nicely about half way through. Another newbie club runner joining as well. 7 miles through local wildlife park.
    628 miles YTD
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Five miler this morning - aside from it being humid and icky, it was a better run (at least for my hamstring which didn't hurt quite as much). Saw the phys anyway, and he loosened me up a bit.

YTD: 538
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Happy to be on the south coast again, for a few days. Got out for an 8 mile run before things got too busy.

YTD: 722' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    The puffins were wonderful. What a life, they're born in a tiny shelf of a chalk cliff on the North sea coast, leap from that cliff, fly off to the wide blue yonder, see no people or land for three years before returning to the same spot to lay a single egg. They were ungainly, with that familiar over sized beak and big orange feet but absolutely gorgeous. However, they live on sand eels, as the sea temperature rise, the eels die, the puffins have to travel further for the food their young need, therefore less young survive, less reach adulthood, its not good. But hey, rich people are making money, maintaining a bread and circus's world for the poor, whilst killing the plant. The day was beautiful but ended with me being very angry.

Out Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday for 5.2, 5.3 and 8.5

YTD: 483.7
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Another lovely morning for a seafront run. 15 miles, keeping it steady on the outward leg and introducing some speed-work on the return. Happy to average 9:58/mile pace, and go just over 70% A.G.

YTD: 737' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    How lovely, Donnie!
    That's a solid run, MrM2....I've not gone above 10 miles since Manchester. Need to rectify that.

Four miles today...Clapham Common parkrun (I was pacing...my first attempt at that and I came just outside the time I was supposed to do despite my watch thinking I was well on target. Not that anyone seemed to care) plus a mile warm-up.
    Hammy less grumpy.

YTD: 542
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Great running everyone, sounds perfect Donnie, impressive miles MrM2, nice pacing Cal, think I'd be nervous in case I got it wrong so nice work getting it right & thanks for comment on my run today on Strava...it was lovely (hilly & hot but lovely).
    647 miles YTD 
    59,107 ft elevation 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I guess we'll have to get used to the hot bit, Hobie...summer's almost here eh?

12 miles today. I was aiming for 10 but underestimated the route (not ideal as I'd not taken water and I was dehydrated by the end. Oops). Usual symphony of aches but aside from that I enjoyed it. Well, I enjoyed the first 9 miles anyway!
    Furthest I've run since Manchester.

YTD: 554
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Cal: well done on 'double figures' always an achievement. 

Parkrun yesterday. Just over 23 which I'm always happy with. 

Ytd: 486.8
  • Options
    Congrats on the 700 yourself MrM2. Good going for 15 miles.
    Seems we are all getting incrementally over our gremlins - hope that is true for Dubai too.
    TT - Are you asking about a pacer slot at the London?  - I think there will be an announcement soon and hope they give everyone a fair chance to apply - am sure they will as I have faith based on past experience.
    Decided to pace at parkrun two minutes faster than last week - and did it comfortably with four seconds to spare.

17/05 - 7.25
    18/05 - 7.25
    19/05 - 7.25
    21/05 - 8.25
    22/05 - 10.25
    (40)
    YTD = 740.42 miles
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... Well done for your pacing! And glad that you were good for 12 miles the next day!

Harmander... Thanks. We are not too far apart with our totals, but your runs look a lot more sensible than mine!

Donnie... Well done on another decent parkrun. Do you go out with a particular time/pace in mind? Do you ever chase p.b. times?

Had the pleasure of running with a good Dutch friend this morning, who is in UK with his wife, visiting friends. (He is a speedy guy who loves chasing down Strava segments. Well, he didn't pick off any this morning!) 

Not feeling too strong this morning but happy to run 10 miles at average pace of 10:27/mile. (Decent cadence and low heart rate, so some positives.)

YTD: 747' .
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Oops...booked another race....not until October...Race To The Sea...32 miles with around 3500ft of climb across the Cambrian mountains. 
    Hill rep session for me tonight. 3 miles with 10 reps outside the house.
    650 miles YTD 

• Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Mr MM: Interesting question about parkrun. Significantly its the one time I never run with a watch on but in the last 6 weeks have recorded 6 times within 12 seconds of each other! I don't chase a PB and never set out to run quicker however......

Another runner has noticed we always finish very close to each other, the way we run our races does probably pull each other though to a faster time. He starts much quicker than me, I'd say by the half way point he's 150 metres ahead, he then dies away and I pull him back at about the 600 metre to go point, he then sprints to the final 150 (or so) and I mean sprint especially for someone pushing 70, as I jog home. Sometimes he overhauls me, sometimes I stay ahead. I don't mind and its all supportive but I dont want to start feeling I want to win.  This plus dry weather (its run mainly on grass) have made for quicker times.

YTD: unchanged at 486.8
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie... Looks like a good hill-rep session! And that event looks like it was made for you!!!

Donnie... Thanks for your answers. Great that you can analyse what is happening and not get sucked into a race. 
    Watches do tend to control what we do and how we behave. It is hard to not be influenced by the watch even when we say that it was only there for checking this or that...

(Outside of running I have had a policy, for many years, of not wearing my watch on Sundays, holidays and when I'm with friends.)

Hope Dubai is OK.....
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Got out early for an easy, steady 6 mile run. (6 laps of a one mile, road circuit) Kept to easy breathing and ended up with an av. pace of 9:59/mile. Happy.

YTD: 753' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I suppose I'm quite disciplined with my Garmin as I always wear it...if I'm doing an easy run I don't really look at it unless I'm checking my HR. 
    Yesterday was a 6 mile recovery plod and today I did a progressive 8 miler (from slow to moderate, going by feel). Hammy seems to be OK but I'm not entirely free of niggles as I've got a few troublesome spots here and there.

YTD: 568
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    MrM2, I like the sound of your watch policy...I quite like having a record of places I've run when not at home...I feel that my PB days are behind me so just like to keep an eye on distance and lately started checking on HR.
    I jibbed out of club handicap run tonight and did a long one to town and back.
    663 miles YTD 
    60,403 ft elevation 
  • Options
    6 days straight of running now including easys, intervals & a race. I'm in need of a rest day but mileage has gone up ! 

I need to get my backside into gear and run a few hill sessions. You use a particularly steep hill Hobie ?

YTD 568.9
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    dangeroushamster, one hill I use is just outside my front door so kind of handy...the bit I use is 0.3 of a mile long & 50ft elevation for each uphill...I tend to try 10 down & ups trying to increase the pace for each one.

The brutal hill rep is 0.8 mile long and nearly 300 ft of climb, I rarely manage more than 5 of those.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    7.2 (Monday)

The Killers and Blossons (Tues) 

5.2 (Wednesday) 

Ytd: 498.2
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Interesting talk on Hills. Not sure what the 'right' answer is, regards length, gradient and reps.. 
    My feeling is that there is little to be gained if you can't run them evenly, up to about 10 reps.. Then there is the question about how to tackle the down-hill.... For me it's down to what is available. (Outside the front door sounds great!)

Had a rest day yesterday after an hour with the Physio on the previous day!
    Happy to get out at 6 this morning, and enjoyed 12 miles..which included a couple of testing climbs. Did some speed-play on the return miles. Pleased with the o'all av. pace of 9:50/mile, and the 70%+ A.G.

YTD: 765' .
  • Options
    I have always loved hills - (uphill bits) , it is what I train others on because I believe it combines a number of elements in one go.  Our club  training and race course has 800m uphill, 800m downhill and 200m flat.  The shorter circuit across the road is 500m uphill, 500m flat and 140m downhill.
    Agree with MrM2, even pacing until it starts slowing down - recomment that one stops the session or it could lead to injury.
    The pyramid hill running described by Hobie is also used  on the longer course but for 15 minute bursts - a couple of runners will start at a fixed point (lamppost) and gently jog up to the second lamppost counting the steps and return to the first point as recovery, turn around immediately and repeat the uphill bit but aim to take one step less than the last one, repeat until the rest of the runners return after completing the 2km lap - the first two runners join the others while a fresh pair do the pyramid session.

24/05 - 7.25
    25/05 - 7.25
    26/05 - 8.25
    (22.75)

YTD = 763.17 miles

The GP I am training since last week managed a continuous run of a 2.54m lap in the park. It was a bit slower but she could only manage 210m bursts last week.  She was pleased with my training programme for her that she had to complete on her own during the week.
  • Options
    MrM2, Can you share the link you use for the AG please/
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander... Interesting thoughts on Hills.

I have copied the Age Grade address that I have used for a long time. There are various ones out there, and this may well be slightly out of date. However, it seems to tally quite closely with the parkrun grades that I have checked. (e.g. parkrun gave 67.36% and Howard Grubb gave me 67.34% for my 29:49)

http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup06.html

I usually get a warning that this is not secure but I've never had a problem.