Options

A 1000 miles in 2022?

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the link MrM2.

Forgot to mention that I pace the 1.14km laps as if it was 1km - so adding a 11.4%  resistance into each lap.  This prepares me well for marathon pacing as any hills on the course have already been catered for in my training and some.
  • Options
    Just received an email informing me that all pacer appointments at the London will be decided in late June. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Managed to fit in a session on the track this morning. Only a light breeze.
    Could have prepared better for the 5k but happy with a time of 27:46, keeping the laps fairly even.
    Only a mile and a half to the track, so total run of 7 miles.

YTD: 772' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    5.3 to add. 

Must run more hills, actually must run some hills. Its pretty flat where I live. 

Ytd: 503.5
  • Options
    Donnie,

I had the honour/pleasure to run with the late great Ron Hill - sorry for the pun.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Interesting hill chat, this. I need to get back to hill sessions - I just have to watch those hammies. 
    Good luck with the pacer draw, Harmander.
    Another slow 6 miler today. 

YTD: 574
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Not much hill action for me tonight, I took out Friday run group out to have a crack at the planned parkrun route...made them work hard, everyone enjoyed it and the distance worked out perfectly.
    672 miles YTD 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Funny that you should mention Dr HillHarminder! A good friend of mine for nigh on fifty years! I met up with one of his sons the other day as we are pursuing various ways of recognising his achievements... And I am also an advocate of the benefits of hill training, although it is pretty flat near me. 

Have been ticking over reasonably well and am just approaching 100 miles for the fifth month in a row. 

YTD 524.84
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie... Interesting potential parkrun....Would you attract many runners? Where is the nearest parkrun?

Alehouse... Steady monthly figures.

Decided to join parkrun this morning, but only just made it to the start (with 3 mins to spare...)
    Happy to record my best time this year...28:18. (The age-grade of 70.97% placed me 3rd, but results are based on time, so I was 43rd out of 85)  One mile run there and back, so 5' to add.

YTD: 777' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Setting up a new parkrun is hard work, Hobie - good luck.
    Good parkrunning, MrM2 - is that Chipping Norton School?

A clubmate drove me to Bedgebury Pinetum yesterday (a conifer plantation in Kent - absolutely lovely but extremely hard to get to without a car so I jumped at the offer). Really scenic but quite tough - you start down a hill, then run up hill (this wasn't too bad at that stage in the course), round a loop, back down the hill, then back up the other hill to the finish. I was doing so well until I got to that last uphill and then I died. Still, got 28:49 so at least it was under 29 minutes!

Today was a lovely 10 mile run down to Battersea, along the river and then back through Wandsworth via parks and commons. Sunny but fresh - perfect.

YTD: 587
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... Busy week-end for you too. Sounds like a scenic parkrun, and always good to run by the river.

Yes, my parkrun was Chipping Norton School. (Only one mile away.)

Lovely morning for a run. Enjoyed 10 miles; first 6 at an easy pace, then pushed the last 4. 
    That makes it a 50 mile week. Must be a rest day tomorrow!

YTD: 787' . 
  • Options
    We had a heart murmer incident after the finish line at the parkrun I was at, a chap in two age groups above me, but thankfully it was all ok after a number of us tended to him.  Another had a fit at the parkrun the missus was at but that too ended well - must have been the heat.
    Cal, the Mile End parkrun is a bit like the one you ran.

28/05 - 8.25
    29/05 - 10.25
    (18.50)
    YTD = 781.76 miles.

You are pulling away MrM2
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    MrM2 our nearest parkrun is 20 miles away so I think one near here would be very popular...a bit scary for me.
    Glad that all worked out ok Harmander, ours might have those effect with a bit of a climb to the finish.
    10 miles of coast path today for me.
    682 miles 
    62,755ft elevation 
  • Options
    Hobie that is a cracking picture mate and setting up a Parkrun - go you !!
    How long until you think the 1st would be ? Would love to do an inaugural PR but a 2hr drive means planning ! There are 4 of us that do PR though so always possible...

Weekend I've managed easy 9k, easy 18k, Parkrun & Junior Parkrun which has boosted my mileage a fair whack just before the half year...

YTD 590.4
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    dangeroushamster, I'll give you a shout when we're getting near time for our parkrun to start...first one will be nerve wracking but I know that most people there appreciate that it's a voluntary thing.
  • Options
    My experiences from 6 or so PRs now is that it's very much appreciated where people put the effort in. It takes a fair amount of effort to set up during the day and tear everything down...

I suspect the atmosphere for that first run will be awesome !
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Done my final run for May. I'm aiming for 1200 in the year so on track although I'm away for 2 weeks in August when running is unlikely so need to stay ahead of the 100 miles per month curve. 

Hobie: hope Park run 1 goes well and you're not overly swamped by those who like to attend on run 1.

Mr mm: back to my park run times where I seem to out perform my other runs. Two things I've realised, we start and finish at different spots, we run down hill more than up. Not by a lot but there is an overall descent. I also suspect we shave a bit of each corner which all adds up! 

Ytd: 516.6
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Harmander, Bedgebury is a good bit tougher than Mile End (I've done Mile End three times). At least Mile End has a flat finish.
    Good job that fellow was OK - my friend Rob (who posts on the Shades thread) was at Westmill last week when there was a fatality. They tried CPR and defib but sadly he couldn't be revived. I guess these things happen but it's always awful when they do.
    Hobie, if the scenery is anything like that, it'll be very popular with tourists, too.

Did a 5 mile recovery run today - tried to run by HR (I have a high running HR so keeping it under 150 is an effort, let alone any lower) but it was awful. I think I'll just go by feel in future as constantly monitoring my watch takes away any enjoyment I might get from being outdoors. 

YTD: 592
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Easy 5 miles for me today, gave blood last night so probably not a great idea but too nice not to.
    Cal, sorry to hear about the fatality, yeah I guess these things do happen, but they can happen anywhere at least if you're at a running event, statistically, there will be someone there that can give you the help you need.
    Our parkrun will have a cheeky uphill finish so I'm expecting a lot of foul language in my direction at the finish...but there is a cafe for cake & scenery is pretty good (wildlife centre and river).
    Donnie, yeah I've been told by regional organises guy not to advertise parkrun #1 too much as it could be a bit busy...I will use my usual race organising tactful method "Don't be a dick, it's a bit of fun".
    687 miles YTD
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie... Thanks. Parkruns are so variable, and I'm not sure how accurately they are measured. (As Hobie says, 'it's a bit of fun'...)

The rain showers extended further and further into the day, so I was quite late getting out for my run.
    The roadside footpaths are really overgrown with weeds; they have enjoyed the rain!

14 miles this evening but even after a rest day I didn't feel totally comfortable. (Ave pace: 10min/mile)

YTD: 801' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hobie, I did Hockley Woods a few weeks ago which has a short, steep climb just before the finish (Bedgebury's is more of a long drag). Nearly puked in the funnel. :lol:

Three mile shakeout this morning - two miles very slow and then injected some faster bits into the last mile to open up the stride. Hope my legs behave tonight.

YTD: 595
  • Options
    MrM2, you are right to question the consistency/accuracy of the length of some parkruns.  My local is Valentines, a few years ago the start/finish and a section of the course was altered altogether (for the better in my opinion) as the original route was allegedly a little short of the 5km.  Even Barking (where I have run most), while accurate overall, the 2km marker is (still) about 20m further away than it should be - making the 3rd km shorter. The course was measured using the proper wheel I am told.  I maintain my view about the positioning of the 2km marker because there is no way I can consistently be 6-9 seconds slower over it and faster by a similar amount over the third km. The course is all asphalt so there should not really be any discrepancy that could arise on grass or trail routes.

Decided not to take the rest day on Monday.

30/05 - 5.65
    31/05 - 7.25
    (12.90)

YTD = 794.66 miles

Still a bit behind daily average to reach 2000 for the year so got plans to run through the week to catch up.
  • Options
    Good afternoon all
    It's been a while and unfortunately one issue has lead to another. Started with a groin strain, lead to tight hips. Went for a sports massage and the next morning my entire back and hips had seized up. So now been working on stretching and reducing the Brufen intake. Managed 2 miles on the treadmill this morning, well it was 43 degrees outside! Stretched and will swim later when it cools down.

YTD 642.06 miles - well behind were I should be
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I sympathise, Dubai - had a lot of groin trouble myself, and tight hips. Not fun. But glad you're working your way back. Definitely sensible to stay indoors in that heat.
    Harmander, I generally view distance markers with suspicion. As long as the total course distance is correct, that's the main thing.

5 mile trail race this evening (second of three). A minute slower than last month, largely thanks to it being a lot muddier in places. Still, good workout, at least.

YTD: 600  :)
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Good to have you back Dubai, sorry to hear of pains, hope you're recovery goes well.
    Cal, congrats on 600 miles, nice trail run, missing mud over here, been kind of dry lately.
    Harmander, I'll be very careful to make sure I put the distance markers in the right places.😁
    7 mile club run tonight, bit of road, bit of trail.
    694 miles YTD 
    63,392 ft elevation 

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Dubai... Good to have you around again. Sorry about the 'issues'. Hope everything improves soon.

Cal... Well done on your trail race AND notching up 600'.

Hobie... All the best with the parkrun 'set-up'. Your club run brings you close to 700'.

Testing the body this week (Can I make it a 70' wk.?) so repeated yesterday's 14' run.  Only the pace was different; Slower, of course! by 15secs/mile. (Yesterday's time gave me 69.9% age grading.)

YTD: 815' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    My longest run for a while. 8.2. OH has gone to visit mother so chances of a similar effort later today are good. 

Enjoy the holiday although I realise lots of people have working patterns where they'll be required to carry on as normal. 

Ytd: 524.8
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Nice to have quieter roads (Bank Holiday) this morning. Just 7 miles. Possibly going to add another 7 this evening.
    YTD: 822' .
  • Options
    Good to hear from you Dubai.
    Cal, you are right, but as a pacer even 20m difference per km can throw one off the pace and would make it harder if it was near the end - particularly if one was struggling lol. Congrats on the 600.

01/06 - 7.25
    02/06 - 8.25
    (15.50)

YTD = 810.16 miles

Excellent MrM2, am determined to make sure you are within sight. You are my virtual pacer it seems (lets not talk about the actual pace as it would be embarrassing).
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Harmander...tbh I have got one eye on the 2000/2022 mile challenge myself (Need to average about 40' per week from now.) But my main priority is to try and stay free of injuries! Then, I ought to be doing some shorter/faster runs.
    After this (unusual ) week in which I'm attempting 70 miles, in celebration of the Queen's 70 years, I plan to resume a more sensible mix, and try to pick up a bit of pace.

So, I did get out for another7 miles this evening, all 'roadside'.
    Let's see what the body can handle tomorrow?

YTD: 829' .