Options

A 1000 miles in 2022?

Comments

• Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Gipfel: methinks you're being a bit hard on your self. Sounds like you hung on well especially so give the likely virus coursing though you. 

You asked if it was a pb or course best for me. Not quite. This was marathon number 8, with 3.47 at Boston uk in 2021 my best. 6 of the 8 have been at York 3.55 is my pb. 

Issue I have is that I'm a pacer for myself. I also always a sub 4 as the primary target, the run is always, first and foremost, about achieving that. I tend to make a decision about my fitness and run to achieve that time, but in all 8 marathons I've done the target has been 3.59.59. A pb or freakishly good time can never happen, it's not on my schdule. 

5 tonight, mild damp, dark and still. Perfect conditions. 

Ytd: 1034.7
  • Options
    Just popping in after about a week - having returned from completing the Toronto Waterfront Marathon. It is my second favourite marathon after London and I have run it 17 times in 20 years - missing years include the Covid break.
    Since 2019, I noticed some changes that include a slight alteration of the route after 19km which meant there was more of out and back on the second half.
    The number of participants were well down - a combined total from 25,000 to 16,000 covering the Marathon, Half Marathon and 5km. The Expo was much smaller and the biggest change was the lack of shuttle buses to and from the Expo. There was the inevitable increase in entry fee and a higher than expected cost of hotels. My favourite eatery was under new management that resulted in smaller portions combined with higher prices - I would still recommend it though (it is called Eggsmart on Bay Street. It was closer to my hotel (The Chelsea) - I normally stay at the race hotel (The Sheraton) which was about 0.8km from the start/finish line.
    I was about 2 minutes faster than my pace time.
    Oh, and I came first in my age category (a bit of a scam really as I was the only one in 60-64 category) at the nearest parkrun (Downsview) which was about 10 miles from the hotel - I was aiming for 36 minutes - did 35:55 - it is a tough course - will be prepared for it next time.

Sorry I have not commented on everyone's excellent efforts and achievements at this time.

14/10 - 5.05  (treadmill)
    15/10 - 8.10 (including parkrun)
    16/10 - 26.22 (the marathon)
    19/10 - 4.07
    20/10 - 5.25
    (48.69)

YTD = 1681.48 miles

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander... Welcome back, and congrats on your 17th time at Toronto Waterfront. (plus parkrun!)

Fairly pleased with my last run, two days ago. Ten miles with av.pace of 9:53/mile. (69% age grade)

Seem to be coming down with something 'flu-like''. Unfortunate on the best running day of the week, and on the day when we have family coming for a few days, from Germany!

YTD: 1619' .

• Options
    Harmander, that's great! Well done on the marathon and the parkrun.
    Hope you're OK, MrM2. I've felt not quite right this past week, without actually feeling ill. 

I took a couple of days off after Wednesday's hip twinge and CT scan mishap but I went to a parkrun today. Chose Gadebridge, in Hemel Hempstead, which was one I wanted to tick off as it's mostly grass and I knew it would get muddier if I left it much longer (it was quite slippy in places today). I opted to walk the two miles from the station as I got there early, but did a mile warm-up in the park and then ran the two miles back to the station for a total of 6. As for the parkrun, just not my sort of course - really lumpy, wet grass for the mostpart, and quite hilly, though not fun hilly like Alice Holt last week. I was constantly watching my step. Ran just under 31 minutes and my right hamstring was pretty unhappy (hip twinge seems to have gone, though).

YTD: 1341
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal Scarborough was good, I wanted anything under an hour, went out with the 55 min pacer, then we hit tail wind so I dropped him and came in just over 53 mins! Delighted. That is a hideous dental bill........

MrMr2 some really good running there, good pace and distance. 

Donnie well done at Yorkshire, it was a little windy but it is Yorkshire!!! Very impressive 10km splits. 

Gipfel sounds as if that big was lingering ready to strike! Glad you will come back to Yorkshire, running past the Minster is fabulous (and if people have not visited it is worth going in, the Roman ruins in the crypt are quite something). 

Harmander fabulous marathon there, well done. I do like it when pacers come in under target, and I really like it when about 200 meters from the end they shout go for it and almost push you over the line. 

Three runs, including PR this morning. Lots of dogs and prams. 

YTD: 857.6
    EG: 18188
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Parkrun in just under 24. Happy enough. 

Just been looking at the Leeds marathon which is April 23. I never monitor elevation so I'm not sure what this amounts to. On the proposed course, there is a clumb of 500 ft in three miles from roughly 16 miles to 19. Will that feel like a tough pull up hill or more of a bit of a drag? 

Ytd: 1037.8
  • Options
    Well done TT, that's excellent!
    Nice one Donnie. That does seem a brute of an uphill section, at that stage in the race. I couldn't say how steep that might be but 500 foot in three miles is not messing around. To compare, Strava makes Church Mead parkrun, which I ran a couple of weeks ago and is the hilliest parkrun I've done, 476 feet, but that's a two lap up/down/up/down. If there are no down bits in Leeds then it'll be a more gradual climb but relentless.

11 miles today - a bit wet but warm enough to be back in shorts again. Hamstring was a little grumpy but better than yesterday, at least.

YTD: 1352
  • Options
    A dark 5 miles today. Glad the clocks are going back next weekend - will have lighter mornings for a little while longer.

YTD: 1357
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Two runs to report. 5 on Monday and 6.3 on Tuesday. 

Running really is a strange beast. Last night I was running 10k plus a little bit. My 10k was a few seconds under 52 mins. Last weekend I run the 10k between 30 and 40 km in the Yorkshire marathon in 54.32. At the end of the marathon I felt relatively OK, last night I was nearly sick, although trying to sprint on the uphill finish didn't help. 

Ytd: 1049.1
  • Options
    Racing is like some kind of voodoo - I can be quite comfortable at a pace I would be puffing and panting at in training. I have no idea why. Some people seem to think it's because you taper and so on but I've done races where I've not tapered much (eg a half in the run-up to a marathon) and it still holds true. 
    Uphill finish will do it, though, Donnie - I've done a couple of parkruns this year with an uphill finish - one I nearly puked in the funnel and the other one made me feel like I was going to die.

8 miles this morning. Very warm.

YTD: 1365
  • Options
    Just popping by to see all of your amazing achievements, well done everyone.

I'm still restricted to swimming, biking and gym to rehab this knee, I should be racing 50k over the Cambrian Mountains in mid Wales this weekend but I've deferred until next year. Also Marathon Eryri is on this weekend, Cal, just for you it has a downhill finish....only thing is that the downhill is a mile long and mostly trail.

Next race booked is a 10k night trail race on the 3rd December with a 10k road race the day after & Winter Trail Half in January...so I need to get myself fixed.
  • Options
    I was watching footage of it a couple of years back and there was a downhill on grass...is that it? It was hilarious watching all the guys in Vaporflys come sliding down (not always on their feet).
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone, for keeping the thread turning over!
    Sorry to say that I've not run for a whole week! 
    Hobie...I know that's as nothing to what you are experiencing! Get well soon.

So, my 'flu' feelings were just that...or at least a grotty cold. And we did have our visitors from Germany!
    Now Mrs M is asking why she has a drippy nose(!)
    Had been looking forward to going down to the coast for a week but now that needs to be reviewed!
    Hoping that I might feel well enough to fit in a run tomorrow.
    No races booked, but considering the Milton Keynes marathon on 1st May 2023. (Have lost out, financially, on three marathons this year, and I'm not ready to throw any more away.....)

Happy running All.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you're feeling poorly MrM2, I'm sure a weeks rest wont hurt...I've been out since end of August, biking, swimming and gym work keeping me sane and toying with a Tri again.

Cal, yeah muddy 20% downhill for the last mile of a marathon is brilliant...it's being shown on S4C on Sunday...hunt it on Freeview...commentary is in Welsh.
  • Options
    I'd have to walk that, Hobie...I remember noping out of an 18% downhill (on pavement, mind) during one run and just walking it. And I slow down a lot even at 5%.
    Hope you're feeling a bit better now, MrM2. 
    Just 4 miles recovery today...had my Covid booster on Wednesday and one of the side effects was killer low back ache (around my troublesome SI joint) but fortunately it had returned to a normal level of bothersomeness today.

YTD: 1369
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    6.4 in the gloom of late afternoon. 

Hobie: you might have seen me asking about a climb of 500ft between miles 16 to 19 on the Leeds marathon course. Love your opinion on that, how tough will that be?

Ytd: 1055.5
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Hobie and Cal...Sounds like you are both heading in the right direction, even though it's a long haul for you, Hobie.

Decided to get out for a run this afternoon. Kept it very easy (Av. pace was 11:00min/mile over 7 miles)
    Very wet with lots of leaves, but the sun was out and it didn't feel like end of October!

Have been keeping one eye on the 2022' distance for this year. I was only 4 miles adrift when I ran 8 days ago. Now it will be about 40 !

YTD: 1626' .
  • Options
    You're still packing them in, though, MrM2.
    New London parkrun today - Lordship Rec (near Tottenham) - nice three and a half lapper on hard path. Potentially fast course although I wasn't able to make the most of it - maybe the warmer weather, maybe the Covid jab I got on Wednesday, or maybe I'm just crap now. Anyway, 27:27. I'll go back and give it another punt next year.

YTD: 1372
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Warm weather Cal! I am on the TM again, did do a run today in the back end of York but it was chucking it down.

Hopefully all those niggles, colds, and injection reactions clear up soon.

Three runs, trying a bit of speed work now I am back on the TM, it's quite good fun trying not to fall off the back. 

YTD: 876.77
    EG: 18322
  • Options
    I did a rainy half today, too (training that is - I'm running Alton Towers half in two weeks). I would rather get wet than suffer the treadmill, personally. 

YTD: 1385
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Yesterday I repeated the previous day's 7 mile route, (wearing different shoes) and the pace improved to 10:40/mile while keeping to my slower pace with 3-3 breathing.
    Today I extended the 3-3 experiment to a run of 14 miles. Knew it would be slow but hoped for a bit faster than 11:17/mile!!!
    YTD:  1647' .
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Just a five mile run today. Hoped to inject a bit of pace for the middle miles but legs weren't interested!

YTD: 1652' .
  • Options
    Well you did do 14 miles yesterday, MrM2...I'd expect a rest day or at least an easy day after that.
  • Options
    What Cal says, MrM2!

Good progress TT: still only need two miles a day!

Last two weeks have seen less volume due to holiday in Valencia and then organising cross country relays. Valencia coincided with the Valencia half: in all my years of running I have never seen so many fast runners, with 7 under an hour for the half. Different sport!

YTD: 1138 miles. 

For the tenth month this year have managed over a hundred miles. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Consistency, alehouse. :)

5 miles recovery today. Slept poorly, so went slowly.

YTD: 1390
  • Options
    Cal: disrupted sleep is a real pain. Well done getting out there. 

Mr MM: methinks you're being a bit to hard on yourself. From this distance, you're doing great. 

Saturday was Ipswich Park run as visiting family in the area. 2.5k there, parkrun and 2.5k home. Thinks its the course, but I'm always disproportionately slow there! 

Sunday, back home for a steady 5 miles. 

Ytd: 1066.7
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal, Alehouse...Of course you are both right. Trouble is that the old boy is a 'slow learner' and now I seem to forget what I have learned!

Donnie... another perspective; but I'm always up for a challenge.

Alehouse...Just the mention of Valencia makes my mouth water! I was so impressed with the running-friendliness/ethos of the city. We were there for the marathon in Nov.2017. 
    With my 4hrs12mins I was 9th M70+ out of 30! It does attract quality, as you say!

Went ahead and booked my place in the Milton Keynes Marathon (!st.May,2023) together with my daughter. Six months to get it right!

Rest day today.
  • Options
    Donnie2 said:
    6.4 in the gloom of late afternoon. 

Hobie: you might have seen me asking about a climb of 500ft between miles 16 to 19 on the Leeds marathon course. Love your opinion on that, how tough will that be?

Ytd: 1055.5
    Hi Donnie, sorry didn't get back sooner, been a bit absent while trying to get this knee fixed (nearly there hopefully). Just had a look at Leeds Marathon profile, that looks great. 500ft at a tough point in a marathon is a great challenge...it's probably more mental than physical (assuming you've put the work in). If you can find a good hill locally to train on I'd practice running it but keep in mind that on the day power walking it might be a better option so practice that as well...I walk as hard as I can up the really steep hills & find that compared to people trying to run the difference up is very little but the returns later in a race are very noticeable...you'll finish stronger. 
  • Options
    8 miles today. Rather cooler than it has been...had to get the leggings and sleeves back out.

YTD: 1398
  • Options
    Ugh, should have taken a rest day today - legs were like lead. No idea why, not like I've been pushing myself hard. 4 miles.

YTD: 1402