Options

A 1000 miles in 2022?

Comments

• Options
    Congrats on reaching 1400 Cal, I'm hoping to be logging a few (very few to start with) miles again next week if Physio gives me the go ahead.
  • Options
    Burnage a week tomorrow, Cal?

Not found the last couple of weeks easy. Lots of energy spent on putting on a race: Uni relays for 148 teams. Then working most of this week. Has meant that most of the runs have been short and often off road in the dark with a headtorch. Safer than the pavements that are covered in leaves which in turn cover a multitude of hazards.

Just under 6 miles today was not the best of outings. 

YTD: 1151.7

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... Well done on passing 1400'. Me too for 'Where has the quality gone?!'

Alehouse...Life does get in the way! Me too for the last couple of weeks! But haven't resorted to 'off-road in the dark'. Think that would be the end of me!

A slow six miles for me yesterday. Nothing today!

YTD: 1658' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Away for 4 nights in South Wales. Considered Tenby parkrun today however weather put me off! 

Out on Wed and Thursday last week for 6.6 and 6.3

Talk of events in 2023. I've entered the Manchester and Yorkshire marathons although I'll try and defer Manchester if I'm unable to book a car parking space at uniteds ground. I'm travelling in on the morning which will take about an hour 45 plus allowing time for walking to the start and bag drop, so need some certainty at the Manchester end. 

Ytd: 1079.6
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal well done on the 1400. Alehouse that sounds like a lot of organisation! 

Three runs to report. Two on the TM, playing around with intervals and pyramids. 

This morning the OH nabbed our TM so it was outside because the gym does not open till 0830 on a Saturday. Cold but not icy and dry, which is amazing. Layer upon layer.......

Donnie you will understand my amazement at this but I somehow have a place in Snake Lane, Ferriby 10 and the Brass Monkey! 

YTD: 898.32 (less than 2 miles a day now!!)
    EG: 18643
  • Options
    alehouse - my friend has to work on Saturday so I've got to find my way to a parkrun on public transport. I was thinking Sale would be easiest as it's on the tram. Not sure how I'd get to Burnage.
    Anyway, hope you get some time to relax - sounds like a very busy time.

Donnie, it's hard to park close to the start/finish now - my mate did find a spot one stop away on the tram in a residential street so maybe you could do something like that. The trams are regular.

TT those all sound tough, just going by the names. :lol:

I was going to do Guildford parkrun today (with parkrunning friend Tunde, who has a car) but then discovered it's off because of fireworks. So we went to another one not too far away called Frimley Lodge. It rained the whole time though it was quite light, at least. Trail course - flat but not the easiest stuff to run on (a bit slippery in places) so I was quite cautious and came in just under 29 minutes.

YTD: 1405
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Afternoon run of 10 miles. Almost not raining...but quite windy. Desperate lack of quality!

YTD: 1668' .
  • Options
    I was going to suggest similar to Donnie, Cal! 

I wouldn't be doing Sale Water at this time of year, Cal, or certainly not with a race the next day. Will message you directions to Burnage during the week! 

TT: decent set of races! Obviously need to get a few longer runs in which will quickly bring up the thousand miles!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    alehouse - I guess it's pretty waterlogged, huh? (I have walked around it so I know the surface isn't nice). I am coming from Stretford Road near the big arch bridge.
    MrM2, I can relate. Do you do any speed work though? I think that may be my issue. I think we need it more as we get older.
    8 miles today - felt very sluggish again. Drizzly, though I don't mind that, but I didn't enjoy the run because of how I felt.

YTD: 1413
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    TT: well done on winning the brass monkey HM lottery. You must be been hovering over the keyboard at 11am on the appropriate Saturday morning. Enjoy the event. 

Cal and alehouse: I did Manchester in 2021 when it was a staggered start. I was in the 11am wave. Managed to park in the residential streets about 20 mins walk from OT. I'd risk this again but, being honest, I'd prefer to stay or have pre paid parking. I'll be on the road at 6-15am, methinks I'll have to think about my prep. 

Pre covid I was at the gym most days. Loads of treadmill running. First TM run today since March 20 when using the gym in the holiday property we're in for the weekend. 4.2 enjoyed it but prefer the outdoors. 

Ytrd: 1082.8
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... you asked about 'speedwork'...Good question! Apart from incorporating some efforts in my longer runs I've not found it easy to work on speed. Used to enjoy my track sessions in Bournemouth, and the Prom. and the local park, and even the mile road loop that was on my doorstep. Nothing like that around here. It will probably push me towards a weekly treadmill session.

7 miles yesterday.
    Another 7 miles today. (Starting to feel that I might be getting over my 'double cold'.)

YTD: 1682' .
  • Options
    Donnie, I had an entry into that but was very displeased by the late start. I wouldn't want to start a marathon at nearly midday. Anyway, I got injured so had to DNS regardless.
    Got a sore throat so no running today and likely not tomorrow either - need to be healthy for the weekend so I'm giving my body a chance to recover.
  • Options
    Out on Monday and Tuesday nights. Happy with Tuesday, started a bit quicker than usual and kept going. Did 7 miles at exactly 5 min per km. Bit blustery which strangely helped the run. 

Ytd: 1094.8
  • Options
    Cal: if I recall correctly, you're doing a HM this weekend? Good luck. 

I was out Wednesday evening and went a little bit further than intended to push my total passed a round figure. 

Ytd:1100.4
  • Options
    Alton Towers, Donnie, so yes, and thanks, I'll need it. Congrats on the 1100.
    I've not run since Sunday so popped out for a slow and snotty 3 miles. Aside from the snot, it wasn't too bad.

YTD: 1416
  • Options
    Congrats on 1100 Donnie, nice work. 
    Have a great race Cal, no time to stop for a ride.
    Nice Mr Physio said I can try a run again...scarily warm out today so off to give it a go...wish me well.
  • Options
    Hobie, rides are open after the race is finished. :)
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal I think you and I have the same cold!

Well done on 1100 Donnie. 

Hobie how did the run go?

Two runs, one out side, in the fog and dark before uni all day then one TM, with three days in bed in-between!

YTD: 908.45
    EG: 18715
    50 days to the end of the year......
  • Options
    Burnage parkrun so saw alehouse. First parkrun I've done that features steps (twice). HR a bit on the high side, probably due to the cold, but got 28:35 which isn't bad under the circumstances.

YTD: 1419
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie...Good to see that you are getting back!

TT...Congrats on passing 900'.

My 'starting to feel better' didn't last for long.
    Drove down to the south coast on Wed. then had 2 or 3 days feeling more dead than alive.
    Could only manage a 'walk/run' slow six miles on Fri. but today's 6 miles only included three short walks in the first half. Hopefully going to manage a decent run before heading back to Oxford later in the week.

YTD: 1694' .
  • Options
    Alton Towers half yesterday - got it done but a little slower than last year (just under 2:08). Slowed down on the second lap and it did feel a lot tougher than last year. I'll put that down to the cold. HR was pretty high.

YTD: 1432
  • Options
    Cal: well done on yesterday. Hope the after run rides were enjoyed. 

Hobie: great to see you back on the road. Onwards and upwards. 

Mr MM: sounds like it's quite tough at the minute. Well done on keeping going. 

I've been out Friday (6.5), Saturday at parkrun (3.1) and a rather tired Sunday evening (5).

Amazingly I've all done one paid event this year (Yorkshire marathon) although I've just entered the Doncaster10k which is Sun 27th Nov. 

Ytd: 1115.0
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... 'got it done' sounds like you've enjoyed better runs. But I know you weren't in top condition. So congrats on another busy and successful week-end!

Donnie... Thanks. Yes, it isn't always an easy move from one run to the next, with everything going like clockwork. More like limping and lurching from one effort to the next, sometimes.

Your 10k is only two weeks away! Guess you're always '10k-ready' ; just a matter of how hard you want to make it. So will you be 'competing' or 'participating'?

Enjoyed 8 miles of running in Poole Pk. this afternoon; mainly paved pathways, and almost 'traffic-free'.

YTD: 1702' .
  • Options
    Still more than a little jealous of all these good runs going on.
    I went out for a nice little 4ish miles the other day while visiting daughter in Birmingham, knee felt ok for that so Stopped before it got painful...gym today, might try another run on Friday.
    1024 miles YTD
  • Options
    Mr MM: good question about competing and participating. I'll be participating but competing with myself. I should dip under 50 mins for the doncaster 10k. I did the same event last year and, from memory, think I just edged under 48. However I run 10k  last night, some of which overlapped with the event course in 51.30 and I was putting a fair amount of effort in. My typical park run time is 23:45 so on flat and closed roads, and in adrenalin of a 'proper' event, I'd hope to be able to hold on to that pace for another 5k!

Ytd: 1121.3
  • Options
    Wed night was 7.2 - dark, damp and still. 

YTD: 1228.5
  • Options
    Finally back out for three today...still not feeling great so took it very easy.

YTD: 1435
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie... Thanks for that; not too different from my own approach. Guess the weather will be of interest; could be almost anything at end of Nov....(You'd do well to hang on to 'parkrun pace' for 10km but not unheard of!)  All the best!

Cal... Sorry that you too are in the 'groggy' camp. As I write I'm waiting for a 'phone-consultation' with a GP. Haven't run since Monday due to serious(?) coughing.
    To put it in context...can't remember the last time I bought cough-medicine at the pharmacy. It might have been for one of the children, more than 30 years ago!

(Anyone seen Harmander?) 

Hobie... Hope the recovery is going well.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    It reads as if we all have the same thing! I know it's going round my town, we all keep blaming each other. I spent two days on the sofa and managed a run today, first one in a week!

Donnie totally understand the competing or participating. I was meant to be doing the Gainsborough 10km on Sunday, will not even be participating. 

Cal I hope you enjoyed the rides at Alton Towers, do you ever do the big parks in America?

Out before dawn, back before dawn, almost full winter kit ❄️❄️❄️

YTD: 914.71 (85.29 to go.... in 42 days)
    EG: 19013 
  • Options
    MrM2, I hope you don't have covid. A friend of mine had it (after all the vax) and coughed constantly. I've not coughed at all with this last cold (I did an LFT though which was negative).
    TT - I would've enjoyed it more if I hadn't been so wiped out. I bounced back better the previous year. I guess that's what happens when you try to do a race with a cold, even a mild one. But yes, I've done most of the major parks in the US though I've not been since 2012. Right now I barely have funds to travel to parkruns let alone abroad!