Options

The Fat Club

Comments

• Options
    Opps, sorry missed the other questions. I'm aiming to be 11s 7 by the time I do the GNR at the start of October at the earliest, but certainly by the end of October.
  • Options
    Indeed Caketin. Nice flash Nike ones. They're just good old cotton trackie bottoms with a flash label and a big price tag - but made me feel good!
  • Options
    She, I'll see you there then, hopefully a svelte (well, it's all relative!) 12 stone by then!!

So right with using kit as a reward - my running bud Dog Walker and I have a points system (this is for training rather than losing weight, tho could be used for anything) whereby points can be exchanged for kit!!! It works as we both are addicted to getting new sexy running kit!

Check out girlsruntoo.co.uk, they have some cool girly kit! (no, not a corporate ploy, RW, just a recommendation!)
  • Options
    I was having PE lesson flasbacks Big Navy Nylon Knickers - not nice!
    Well done on the weight loss AND smoking I've got about 1 and a half/2 stone to lose (hopefully at least 1 by NY marathon in Nov)and have managed to cut the fags down to practically zero during the week - and just a couple with a pint at the w/e.
    Feel like I've had a good week so far - and weigh in's tomorrow night - fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Lamb, thanks for the tips on gear, will check out the website. Wow, Caketin, NY marathon. I'm doing the GNR 'cos a mate challenged me, and now another mate is suggesting a marathon. I told them I'd see how I felt after the GNR and if I was to do one it would have to be NY! Good luck for tomorrow.
  • Options
    She, there should be some kind of forumite get-together before/after GNR so I might see you then! I bet you'll end up doing a marathon - we all get sucked in!!
  • Options
    Good luck with the weigh in Caketin

Nic
  • Options
    BTW how long is the GNR?

Nic
  • Options
    Ouch, Long way of for me, i haven't even done a 5K yet...

Nic
  • Options
    You'll be fine! How's the training going? Have you got a time target in mind?
    I've been following the RW half mara schedules, seems to be going OK, though I find the speed sessions tough (great fat burner tho!)
  • Options
    Yes, its going to be my first. Did a 10k to get in the mood, which is just under 1/2 way. I think its going to be sore, but fantastic. I understand that its got a long incline too ... ouch.
  • Options
    I am only on the RW 5k training schedule at the moment. But i was thinking of a local 10K in end septemberearly october.
    Is this too soon?

Nic
  • Options
    Lamb, am hoping for 2 hours 30. Which I reckon is reasonable. I haven't done any speed work, too much for me, but have been doing long swimming sessions to get the stamina up. Its hard now I'm into the what I up and until recently thought was 4 long runs a week. But I'm enjoying it - did 4 miles at lunchtime today in the heat and was feeling good afterwards.
  • Options
    Lamb
    What do you do for speed work - do you run on a track? At the moment I only have one speed and that's plodding! Have done a couple of hill rep sessions where I do 1.5 mile warm up and cool down with 5-6 bursts up a hill and walk back down. It's a great work out - and doesn't half make you sweat!
  • Options
    Nic, I'm not sure. I'm too much of a novice. But if you are feeling good and take it slowly, I'd say go for it.
  • Options
    She - missed your post!
    2.30 sounds more than reasonable. I did Newark half at the w/e in 2.24 and I walked at every drinks station for a couple of minutes. Plus dodgy knee from about mile 9 onwards slowed me down a great deal. I wasn't aiming for any less than 2.30 - so was quite chuffed. It was an incredibly flat course though.
  • Options
    Nic - go for it, it's something to aim for and will help get you motivated on those days you don't want to run! When I had just started (last year) I found that once I could run 20mins I could run further and further, and enjoyed the challenge of seeing what I could do...

• Options
    Hi Caketin - I do my speed on a treadmill as then you know you're putting in exactly the right effort for the right distance. I'm following the RW half mara schedules, where the speed sessions are intervals of 200m - 1k at certain speeds with recovery inbetween.

If you want something less structured, you could try fartlek or some longer intervals where you run for say 2-6minutes at a faster pace then a jog recovery...
  • Options
    But hill reps are great too - good on yer!
  • Options
    Thanx Lamb. I'm going to check out the schedule and see if I can work some in. I'm training to a schedule I got with the GNR - for couch potatoes - didn't want to be trying too hard. Now I can run over 30 minutes, I do feel like you than I can run for more and more. Did an hour last week when I only meant to do 45 minutes!
  • Options
    For the GNR, you'll need to start with week 7 (started on Saturday)... Best of luck, let us know how you get on. I think it's good to challenge what you think you can do every so often and you'll more than likely be surprised! I do find the speed session tough, but you feel fantastic when you finish them, a real sense of achievement...
  • Options
    Question for V-Rap: I'm finding that caffeine is affecting me a lot more since I've been on a diet, gives me a headache? Is it connected with the diet? Should I stay off the caffeine completely? I drink enough water so I don't think it's dehydrating me too much...
  • Options
    Lamb
    Treadmills suck - I don't understand their speeds! I work in minutes per mile (usually 10 - 11.5 min mile pace)- the treadmills at my gym are eurofriendly and only measure distance in km. The speed is just a number that goes up to go faster - and I don't understand it!
    I'll try upping the pace between lamp posts on my shorter runs instead!
  • Options
    I have a very sad conversion chart!!! I prefer being indoors for speedwork anyway, it's cooler, there's water on tap and i don't look such a complete idiot!!!
  • Options
    Lamb
    Is it translating the speed on a running machine to real life - or just miles to kms? If it's the first, may I have a copy?
  • Options
    It converts kph into miles per min... not sure what you mean by real life!!
  • Options
    Lamb
    Don't worry - I don't think I do either! A copy would be great though - could you possibly email it to me?
  • Options
    Could be that the combination of caffeine and calorie-cutting doesn't suit you, Lamb, in which case cutting the caffeine right back and substituting another form of fluid sounds a good idea.

I'm even taking the idea on board myself - I've only had two cups of coffee and several of hippy-tea today. Something to do with the fact that we have the most disgusting coffee at work and the boss has just decided he's a vegan (New Wife Syndrome) and is going to drink black coffee like I do, and I have an overwhelming desire to reduce the similarities between him and me to a minimum. So, orange and ginger it is.

Cheers, V-rap.