Options

New York Marathon 2002 The Original

Comments

• Options
    Hi folks will look at wokingham. Will be great to all meet up .Opened new branch in Durham yesterday, very busy.Waitrose is really going up north .
  • Options
    great news seaweed.will you ever return to the civilised bit of the country?

good luck with the house move T+T- it is supposed to be about the most stressful thing you can do ex health trouble....

Retirement?however will you spend your time george?
  • Options
    georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    The culmination of working HARD and very long hours for three quarters of my ( NOT so young -T&TM ! ) life and a bit of good fortune on the property market - and no wife or kids to spend it - I've decided to spend some time on myself while I'm young enough to enjoy myself.
    Just read .... the reward of the last eight years comes to roost with the retirement age rising to 67 !!!
    So lots of rest and lots of holidays starting with 12 or 13 days in Italy recovering from the Milan marathon.

T&T man, take courage from your first property purchase - it can only be a good thing !! and the first one is always the hardest !!!
  • Options
    Great to see everyone is back in touch. We've been away for two weeks so had no clue it was dragged back from the bowels of the forum.
    We've both just been checking our bank statements and bloody hell ! our cheques for FLM have been cashed and we did not bequeeth !! Mrs Bobolink has just got back up off the floor and is heading for the Baileys Irish Cream right now; any excuse to finish the bottle off eh ? So that's our winter nights taken care of and Radox's ( muscle soak )profits set to rise.
    It's not been a bad summer. Kate managed a veteran PB of 1:41 at the Amsterdam Half Marathon while I did an all time PB of 1:50 at Ashbourne ! not noted as a PB course I might add. Don't ask what happened at flat Amsterdam though or even the Great Langdale. Oh go on then ! Gt Langdale I sauntered in at 2:19 !! Well the scenery was just too good not to enjoy at a leisurely pace. Seriously though it was a hot day and it you want the toughest half in the country and the most scenic then this must surely be it, road anyway !
    Until tonights discovery re FLM we were moving towards Fell Running and considering the Anniversary Waltz and possibly the Edale Skyline but these will now be put on hold.
    George - great news on your retirement, deeply envious of course but our best wishes to you.
    OB - Got your email today and thanks. Good luck with that.
    T & T - congratulations on the house purchase and wishing you much happiness.
    Alex and Angie - good to hear you've not dropped off edge of world.
    Seaweed - Waitrose still eating everything in its path. My Mum and Dad swear by them !! and my Dad likes good food I can tell you.
  • Options
    thanks bobo and good luck to you both with FLM training!
  • Options
    Enjoy the well-deserved holidays, George! And good news about FLM Mr & Mrs Bobo - looks like I'll see you there. And thanks all for the good wishes on the hoose. Has made the last two years of us living together in a no-bedroom studio-flat worthwhile.

Great newsletter OB - v impressed! Will also pass it round to other peeps I know...
  • Options
    Thanks T&TM

Are you responsible for the new scary 'faces' link?

Whoever is needs therapy!!
  • Options
    george-nice work.largely as a result of the lack of 'no wife and kids' bit,i think i'm working on till i'm 167,by which time i will certainly need a life coach...
    bbl,best of luck with the milwall bits and hope you have more fun than 2004...i'm leaving flm well alone this time and heading for deutsche land.
    mind you mrs p was heard to mutter last night that there was probably no way that her sis would actually do the run in berlin,and didn't new york sound like a much better idea....looking forward to santa delivering the fell running book-feet in the clouds?-which i bought and tucked away in 'that drawer' in april...i think armchair fell running is probably the noblest exposition of the sport...
  • Options
    dull news-wokingham happens to be first w/e of half term which makes it tricky to obtain a pink ticket,but i will see what can be achieved with subtlety and diplomacy...now where can i find some..
    sorry ob- no offence intended ;-)

slightly over excited by prospect of big shooting day in scotland on saturday.

also watch out for popplewells on screen again.anna my niece,whom we don't see v much,is in this new narnia film.our little nellie was 8 yesterday and insisted on buying one of the horrible little plastic merchandising figures...out of her own pocket money,...bless.
  • Options
    Alex - Feet in the Clouds is an excellent read, you should really enjoy it ! So is the book about the London Marathon if you've not already done so.

We thought it was your niece in the Narnia film. Was there not a from page shot in one of the Sunday Times magazines the other week ?

Don't forget shooting in Scotland must be preceded by a large single malt !!
  • Options
    T & TM - also look forward to seeing you at FLM.
  • Options
    bbl-yes but it wasn't about her-it was just illustrating the story of cs lewis and family.bit startling over the cornflakes though...
  • Options
    georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Had my FLM rejection this morning !!! Might still get in with a club place but thinking .....
    Rotterdam (because I can fly out from Cardiff )
    or Zurich !!!
    Milan marathon on Sunday .....back in a fortnight .
  • Options
    Come and join the Seaweed/OB team in Zurich george and while your at it you can get WP to get off the fence and sign up! She knows she wants to.
  • Options
    Good luck with Milano, Georgio!
  • Options
    welcome back george-how did it go?
    have now definitely got my slot in the bath half,have roped in a couple of mates one of whom is swift and one a plodder like me.went out for a 7 mile run at lunchtime and decided that i have to lose several stone starting right now...
  • Options
    Good stuff Alex - might just be there on the sidelines shouting you on!
  • Options
    not a good time to start losing weight Alex but I wish you well!

T&TM - I see the BBC's 'faces' ad for Digital tv is being ditched. You never accepted responsibility for it when I asked before :)
  • Options
    Hello OB - not guilty M'lud! Absolutely *terrible* piece of communication. Read one complaint from a viewer about her dismay at seeing "these disgusting, scrofulous heads" on her telly. Couldn't stop laughing! T'is written by an external ad agency...
  • Options
    scrofulous is an underused word these days so well done to her :)
  • Options
    georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    got back from a freezing cold Milan marathon with exhaustion - not just from the running but from the 3 days skiing, food poisoning ( dodgy shellfish ! )and 3,500 miles of driving. Ran the race at long run pace , finished in good condition in 4hrs 27 minutes.

Have a great xmas everyone, see you next year.
  • Options
    well done george and welcome back.

And I'll add to george's Christmas wishes as well
  • Options
    well happy new year y'all.i'm back in training for the bath half and then onto berlin.sis in law in deutschland is defo on for it and so i'm getting some miles in...some of the xmas xtra has started to slide off and i've managed 4 quite comfortable 7 milers or so in the last 10 days without a hitch.i have struggled with the threshold running though,hope it come s back soon....what are you lot all up to?
  • Options
    Happy new year guys hope we are all well . I have started training again, ready for Zurich with OB. Have also booked a hol in 5 weeks to NEWYORK so cant wait to run in central park again . Ta Seaweed
  • Options
    georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Training started for FLM ...

But .... Not all plain sailing !!!

With back problems from last December's Milan Marathon still not properly sorted, This morning I went for a 12 mile / 2 hour long run .
    After 1 hour 40 minutes, found myself up on the very top of a mountain with no more water, because I am trying to lose weight - no energy stuff, getting cold and wet AND, at a guess, still at least five miles away from my car !!!!
    tried taking a short cut through a quagmire in which at times I was up to my hips in mud, then lost my shoe !!!
    Pulled my back out retrieving said lost shoe !!!

And still five miles from car !!!!

Obviously managed to get back to car (after 3.5 hours !!! ) and got to see an osteopath too, but I'm not looking forward to seeing how stiff I will be in the morning !!!

keep well everyone .

• Options
    sounds bad George.Hope you get it sorted.

I am in flm as well, my training still not got off the ground, my back is still not right, maybe we could swop notes.
    I am going back to new york in 4 weeks with family, will have to run /jog in central park again. Cant wait. keep in touch

Ta Chris
  • Options
    The Bobolinks also in training for FLM. So far so good !
  • Options
    could be a reunion at flm.
    How are you bobo
  • Options
    Blimey, George - that's a bit of a nightmare! Hope it went ok with the osteo. Hello Seaweed and Mr & Mrs Bobolink! I'm an FLM'er again this year, so hope to see you all there. Off out for run now... bit late, but needs must!