Options

New York Marathon 2002 The Original

Comments

• Options
    Oldbones - no luck with the moving picture then I guess
  • Options
    SY3 - a bit fast for me, I'm hoping to do 2 hours for Vyrnwy. See you at seven bridges then - I'll be the bloke about 3 miles behind you!

BK - yes its up now as you can see but not in its original animated form. Jason L did this for me (thanks Jason) its 2 frames from the file as that's all you can upload apparrently. Thanks for your help though and to Shattered Shins for supplying it in the first place. Sounds like an Oscar acceptance doesn't it?
  • Options
    It look excellent. Nice one Jason you're going to be much in demand I suspect
  • Options
    Sorry didn't mean to appear show-offy - rereading comment seems a bit OTT.
  • Options
    BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Oldbones... great 'photo'. Award winning stuff.
  • Options
    SY3 - didn't think that at all, just impressed!! The great thing about this forum is there is no jealousy or disrespect of other's abilities.

Barkles - I hadn't been very well and had lost a bit of weight then. Hope the recovery is going OK.
  • Options
    Glad you didn't take offence, Oldbones. Now, what about NY? Off for a l-o-n-g run tomorrow am - if I can drag myself out of bed that is - hoping to do 14 - 15 miles but right foot still a bit stiff so we shall see but new shoes are easing the black toenail problem. OB - I usually do a long run around Battlefield so if you're there tomorrow am the bloke in the blue is me.

SY3
  • Options
    SY3 - my weekend run is usually around Ryton/Baschurch now as I've started running with a couple from there. I did quite a lot of FLM training around Battlefield and Harlescot and Meole and Copthorne and well, there wasn't much within a 5 mile radius of town that I didn't cover. Hope the 14/15 went well. I did 7.5 today but am going for 12 tomorrow all being well. Re: New York - it depends on how much I really want the divorce!!!
  • Options
    Top NY Tips:

99 was v.cold - suggest couple of binbags and disposable hat / gloves for wait before start if it looks cold again.

Potentially long wait from drop off to start - make sure you stay warm / plan your fuelling carefully.

Aid stations are great - all sorts including many gels / flat Coke etc.

Potentially v.fast course, but winds can blow straight down the streets at you - so stick with it if you struggle for a mile or two here or there.

Fantastic course - it's like going to several different countries in one day. I found the people v friendly and warm, enjoyed the sights and sounds etc. I've run a good few marathons, but will always remember New York.

Enjoy it!

Gavin
  • Options
    Thanks Gavin -
    Caketin - how's the training?? Am going out running tonight for first time in a week since groin strain...here's hoping!
  • Options
    Hello all. My 14 went really well, right foot seems OK but blistered toe from new shoes. OB - I think it's very difficult to run 20 miles around Shrewsbury (by the way everyone it's pronounced 'Shoesberry', not 'Shrovesberry' - we don't pronounce the first 'r' and there's no justification for putting an 'ove' sound in the middle)without doubling back somewhere.

SY3
  • Options
    NR - how did the run go? Hope the strain didn't reappear. I am hoping that I will be back running steadily next week after a three week lay off with a broken toe. I have now found a podiatrist who is sympathetic to runners, New York looms large and my training is WELL behind schedule!
  • Options
    Hi Gnasher - Well, I did a little 3 miler and returned home with no pain at all - so am heading out after work tonight with the aim of doing 7 miles...Felt so good to be running again - though went very slowly indeed and was very conscious of my leg the whole time...if you know what I mean? We've still got some time - so dont panic about being "off" for 3 weeks...
  • Options
    SY3 - you're obviously a local pronouncing it "shoes..." I'm an outsider (but not posh) and call it "shrows... (as in "throw"). The other forumites don't realise how big an issue this is around here! Glad the 14 went well apart from the blistered toe. 14 is a bit far to try new shoes isn't it?

Many of my FLM long runs were from Fitness First then out of town doing the lanes around Upton Magna and Roden. Very pleasant.

I'm about 30% likely to do New York - the idea appeals but a lot of work is needed on Mrs OB first!!! I'd want to go on my own to just get involved with the whole marathon experience which is difficult to do if you're trying to please a partner. We both went to New York in April after FLM so have done the tourist thing together! Is that selfish?
  • Options
    Hi New Runner

Been off for a bit, clamp down on internet use at work! Training was going well up till the weekend, still no running but loads of cross training (between 1-2 hours a day). Shower at home is now mended and not the motivation to go to the gym first thing anymore.
    Will be venturing out for run tomorrow night - without a doubt. I'm itching to give it a try. I'll start with a nice scenic five miler - and shall report back on Friday!
    Glad to hear you're back on the road. Not long to go now!!
  • Options
    OB - you've found me out - I'm not local - I came here 7 years ago from Cornwall. Yes of course you're selfish but I don't see the harm in that.. NR, Caketin & Gnasher - when I went last year I didn't even know I was going till about this time and I hadn't even started training - so don't panic.

SY3
  • Options
    Sythree, that gives me hope, there's the tiniest niggle of self-doubt pinging around inside my head. It needs locking up!
  • Options
    Gnasher, the broken toe sounds dead nasty. Hope it's well on the mend. When I found out I was going to NY I was training for the Lake Vyrnwy half, and didn't want to throw that, so I didn't even start longer runs until mid Sept. I'm sure you'll be fine - the atmosphere will really lift you, with kids along the route wanting high 5s, and before you know it you're at the half way stage, which is just such a great feeling. And then the crowd just gets better and better - the blurb says you emerge into Manhattan to a stadium like crowd & roar - well it's true, so be ready for it, and you just have to keep going and going cos they won't let you stop!! Especially if they know you're a Brit, so advertise the fact!! - put something on your vest - a Union Jack flag (laminated else it gets sweaty!), anything. I think the longest training run I managed was about 19 - 20 miles (and only did one of that length - ran out of time). At 20 miles I remember thinking 'well, this is virgin territory!' but as I said the crowd just gets better and better, particularly when you start getting near Central Park.

Have you looked at the NYCM website - there are some really good trg tips on it from Bob and Shelley Glover - at www.nycmarathon.org.

See you in NY!

SY3

PS Self-doubt - banish it now!!
  • Options
    SY3, Thanks for that...I have been looking at some new kit to cheer myself up so perhaps I will look at something with a union jack theme....and now I am off to have a peek at the NYCM website.
  • Options
    Hi guys - thanks for all the support, but after last nights run I really think I'm going to be walking in NY! Knee is v sore, only managed a mile before I decided to turn back and limp home. Have made Drs appointment - and am feeling more than a little deflated. Fingers crossed I'll be ship shape by Nov.
  • Options
    Seaweed,
    Newyork is the best city in the world. I regulary visit family over there and am planning on moving out there permantley. You & family will fall in love with the place. Central Park (as already mentioned) really is a must. There is always fun and games going on. For a good meal out check out 'Nanni' at 146 east 46th street, it's excellent. Your Kids would will enjoy 'The Children's Museum of Manhattan' at 212 west 83rd Street (just off Broadway) All museums however have something for the kids.
  • Options
    georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Anyone know what's involved with the International friendship run on the saturday morning ?
  • Options
    HI everyone. I will be running my first marathon in New York this year.
    I started my training back in May and it was going really well until three weeks ago when I started suffering from pain in what I thought was my achilles. I have been seeing an osteopath and podiatrist and have been fitted with orthotics. I cannot run until Saturday when I see the podiatrist again although I have been keeping up the cardiovascualr work. I have resigned myself to just getting round now but I was hoping to run in about four to four and half hours before. As I am runnign for charity I can't back out so I have decided to sit back and just enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    Jane, that's a healthy attitude to have. If you read back on some of the thread history there are a couple of us carrying injuries and getting a little nervous about NY.
    Caketin - perhaps we ought to meet up at the New York start, I will pep talk your knee if you convince me that my toe doesn't hurt!
  • Options
    George

I think last year the frienship run was from UN Plaza to Central Park. I didn't do it as I was getting over the flight and was also terrified of getting a stupid last minute injury. My friends did it and said it was worthwhile, partly to take a look at the marathon finish. However, there were an awful lot of worthy speeches!

Neil
  • Options
    Hi there! I'm also running my first marathon in NY this year. How shocked was I to get accepted through the lottery!! So now the training is half way there (I'm following the "casual marathoner" training plan from the website) and yesterday was an 18 miler which saw me suffer a sunburned back (despite the factor 30), very blistered toes and generally suffering sore legs. It's been great reading back through this thread, sometimes you forget that you're not the only one mad enough to do these things. I've been doing most of my runs before work in the mornings which is getting harder now that the sun doesn't come up so early! anyway - now to book that massage!
  • Options
    Did 17 on Saturday, right foot still feels 'funny' even though not sore. Nearly run over by an absolute lunatic on bit of road with no pavement, the ba***rd didn't move out at all, just an inch or two more and I'd have been squashed. Some drivers are so inconsiderate.

SY3
  • Options
    George

I ran the friendship on my visit in 98. Well worth the effort, its just a gentle jog from the UN building to Central Park and is only open to those entrants from outside the US. I even persuaded my non-running wife to enter and she really enjoyed it. Lots of flag waving and cheering - dont forget the Union Jack!

Cheers
  • Options
    Have I still got time to train for NYC? I've been training for Lake Vyrnwy half on Sept. 15th and did 13 last saturday and will do similar this weekend. The following weekend will be the race itself which leaves just 7 weeks before New York. Allowing 3 weeks for the taper, I will then have just 4 weeks to get the long runs in. I would aim to do 15, 17, 19 then 21. Is this enough?
  • Options
    Hi all

Good new(ish) about my knee. Two weeks on anti imflammitaries and a strong knee support should sort things out as my Doc says I have a bruised ligament. will be running gently next week and should be back ontrack in a week or two.
    Gnasher - sure, we can limp around together.
    New runner - How are you doing? Looks like I'll be lucky to get round in 5 hours now!