Options

New York Marathon 2002 The Original

Comments

• Options
    Hi NR, my training hasnt gone too well lately. I had an enforced break and I am back running this week feeling really boosted. NY will be my first marathon so any time will be a PB. Just think about all the people out there who wouldn't entertain the idea of running 26 miles, you have! I have decided to try and get a union jack sewn on my running vest or shorts together with my name. I am not sure if the motivation behind this is the encouragement factor or the shame factor, either way I am hoping they will help keep me moving!
  • Options
    NR - don't get downhearted - just keep focussing on the fact that you're going to get there, and you'll be doing something that a whole pile of people wouldn't even think about. The last couple of weeks I've been finding motivation really hard to come by....it seems that while I've been training for a long time, there's still so long to go. Are you getting sponsored??? I find that's a great motivator...or trying to find someone else to run with (as a mostly lone runner myself I don't half miss company!)....most of all remember, don't think it's a bad thing to give yurself a break...do it and don't beat yourself up about it....it'll all be worth it in the end.
  • Options
    NR - how is it going now, any better? You're way ahead of me as I'm only up to 13 miles so far. You've blown nothing yet and have plenty of time to get all enthused again. Good suggestion from SY3 re. NY website!

SY3 - will probably arrive at Vyrnwy 12.15 ish. Shattered Shins was hoping to suss out a suitable place and time to meet. I'm no:53 and will be wearing forum vest.
  • Options
    Hi guys - well to be honest i haven't run at all since Friday. Am planning to run a few miles tonight, to work tomorrow (7 miles) do a few more on Thursday and i've found somebody to run (or attempt) 16 with me on Saturday...so we'll see.
    Thanks for all the support - it does help!
  • Options
    NR

Im running in the Kingston Festival on the 13th October , there are 3 different races on the same day , Im doing the 16 miler.
    The websites on URWFRC race page.
    Hope ur runs go well tonight & 2mrw , after the GSR my motivation is coming back , enjoyed a 5 miler 2day.
    I my next long run will be the Maidstone half ,
    Keep the Faith , NY is calling

• Options
    OB - in the hall at 12.15 - say by the stage. I haven't got a forum vest but I'll be in fave blue kit.

I've had a really stressful day - it was my rest day so I didn't bring my kit to work, but I really wish I had. NR - must be a lesson there, never be unprepared!

Hope all goes well, NR!

Regards

SY3
  • Options
    NR - did you go for that run? The evenings are lovely at the moment - it's not so muggy. This is my favourite time of the year...whether that will help me get off my butt more often am not sure though. What area-ish do you live?
    Romford Runner - I run around Upminster - do you ever run over this way?
  • Options
    NR - we're all waiting with breath held...
    (oh and can heartily recommend the Kingston runs - fast & flat. Just be sure to carry water, they ran out when I did it a few years ago)
  • Options
    Good morning one and all!
    Well...last night I did as I said I would and ran 3 miles (averaging 9.3 min miles which is v good for me) THis morning....I got up at 6:30 and ran 8 miles - physically it wasn't a problem at all (averaging 9.5min miles) mentally still a bit tough until I thought about the fact that we are going to NY and that it was a year ago today that we saw the utter devestation out there.A huge reality check and totally inspired me to just get on with it...so I did!
  • Options
    very glad to hear you pressed on.. sounds like you will be pacing the sub 2hr group..

• Options
    Well done NR - today and the memory of a year ago puts things into perspective doesn't it? When I went to New York in April the people were still trying to come to terms with what happened and we had so much positive feedback from them for going over. I expect it will be like that but even more so for a major international event on their doorstep. Keep positive and see you there!
  • Options
    Bouncer - anything under 5 hours and I will be the happiest girl in the world!
    OB - I was at ground zero a few months ago. There are no words and yes, it does and should make us reconsider what real problems are. Not feeling like doing a run one weekend pales into insignificance.
    I'm now very very excited...not long to go at all! 7 weeks from Sunday...!
  • Options
    NR -<I'm now very very excited> - great!!

SY3 - see "Events - Lake Vyrnwy"
  • Options
    Meant to post this yeaterday - someone asked about chairty? I'm proud to say that (mainly through work) I've now been sponsored c£4500 for Great Ormond Street - that too has got me back to running!

Gnasher - I live in North London. If anyone fancies teaming up for the dreaded 20 miles in a few weeks - I'd love too...
  • Options
    £4500!!! from work!? where do you work!?
  • Options
    £4500 - that's amazing!!! I got £2750 for a local children's hospice for FLM and will expect much less for NY as I can't hit the same people again so soon. GOSH will be so pleased with your fantastic effort.
  • Options
    NR, I live in NE London and am looking to do the dreaded 20 miles in a few weeks too. Send me an email if you're interested.

Jason L
  • Options
    Gnasher

I have yet to venture into Upminster , one of my routes takes me along Wyketyle Lane and then across Hacton Lane.
    Its always good to run somewhere different so let me know when your schedule and will meet up for a run.
  • Options
    NR - £4.5k - that's got to get you running - I'm in complete and total awe! Good to hear you sounding more upbeat about the whole thing....keep it going!
    Last year I was in early October and remember coming up out of the subway at Brooklyn Bridge with the air so full of dust you could hardly breath. I grew up in Northern Ireland and have witnessed the aftermath of a few blasts, but this was on such a whole different level that it was very upsetting...the physical destruction along with the lives lost and shattered was just too much. Don't think I want to go near ground zero when I'm there this time.
    Can't believe it's only 7 weeks on Sunday....anyone doing the GNR or am I the only Northerner on this thread?!
  • Options
    Bouncer - from clients, suppliers, friends and family...all adds up!
    Oldbones - thank you!
    Jason - will def email you nearer the time - have two freinds doing NY so they'll run too - but i might be too slow for you..?
  • Options
    New Runner - I run between 9.30 - 10 mins per mile at my marathon pace. I don't think you'd be too slow for me. Let me know.

Thanks

Jason L
  • Options
    Just checked the website and I (and therefore I assume all of us entered via tour operators) am listed now in the entrants database! More reasons to get motivated! It's all official!

http://www.nyrrc.org/nyrrc/marathon/entrantinfo/index.html#
  • Options
    NR & JL

Would also like to join in run , will travel.

NR

I also checked the website and Im also in after my lottery failure Im travelling with LPG , my company have paid for flight & hotel , but have to work 3 days whilst Im there.
  • Options
    NR - well done on the cash front! I'm GOSHing as well but won't get anywhere near your total. Travelling on the 31st with Virgin - how 'bout you?
  • Options
    LF -Im flying with Virgin on the 31st , what times ur flight? , Im running for the NSPCC
  • Options
    RR - haven't got the flight times to hand but about 1600 depart LHR rings a bell
  • Options
    Little Feat -I'm going BA on 31st from Heathrow..raising for GOSH but booked independently...
    Romford Runner - no problem at all - we'll organise in a few weeks time. Cant belive you have to work while you are there?!

Just been watchng ground zero...no words.
  • Options
    NR - Raised alot of money for FLM 2002 , have already had more than enought holidays this year , it was the only way I could get to NY for free , so its a small price to pay. Will try not to work to hard.

LF - I dont have details either will check and get back to you
  • Options
    It will be our fist Marathon ( the wife and I ). Flying out on 31st from Manchester and raising money for local hospice.
    Getting excited nervous now.
  • Options
    some v bright spark should go through this thread, work out who is going - where they are staying and what time they filled in as expected finishing time..and maybe even a meet up pre-race? Would be good for us all to have a list

For the sake of helping that person ( i would do it, but I'll do it all wrong - I know I will)
    Going 31st-4th B.A Heathrow
    New Runner (Nicky) Holiday Inn Midtown 4.30

PS Caketin - where have you gone???