Options

New York Marathon 2002 The Original

Comments

• Options
    Nike van sounds like a good idea, I'll be there. Have no idea what I'll be wearing yet!
    I'm flying out 31st Oct - but can't remember exact flight details. Have just paid balance to Leisure pursuits, am broke but very excited!
  • Options
    I'm flying out on 31st too - BA flight from Heathrow...Not doing Windsor so guess I'll see you in NY (or at BB on SUnday or Bristol half in Sept!)
  • Options
    New runner
    Sounds like my flight! Might see you at the airport. Good luck on Sunday - let me know how you get on. Hope it's not too hot.
  • Options
    No doubt in 90 degree heat will get around in about 3 hours! Oh well...could be worse!(As for NY we should try and meet before - only 11 weeks to go!!) Will report back on Monday morning - have a good weekend!
  • Options
    Thanks to all you guys going on about it I´ve been inspired to sign up for NY again. Hope it will be the kick up the bum I need to start doing some proper training!
  • Options
    Two things I'd recommend are:

1. the revolving bar on the 46th (?) floor of The Marriott Hotel in Times Square - there's a cover charge for non-residents - the paper napkins have a "plan" of the buildings/sights you see as you go round.

2. A helicopter trip out to Staten Island to go around the Statue of Liberty - short and a bit pricey but worth it!

Enjoy NYC
  • Options
    I won a trip to NY last year in Running Fitness magazine. I couldn't believe it when the editor phoned me up to tell me. I was training for the Lake Vyrnwy Half at the time and had never run more than a half before. It was a great race, my first M, and I was very pleased with 3h 53m 42s. But as someone (sorry can't remember who) has said, it ain't flat!! Look out for the lengthy pull up the Queensboro bridge (not steep - just long), and there's a beast of a hill (well it was for me) between miles 22 - 24 (again, not that steep - just long), which is where I ground to a halt. But the crowd support is just terrific - they soon got me going again, knackered as I was - and New Yorkers are just great, especially once they know you're a Brit. Be sure to pin your name on your shirt/vest. Oh yes, the long run out of town on 1st Avenue is a bit like the repeating buildings in Batman - seems to go on forever. A water station attendant on 1st told me, 'you make me feel real proud' which really perked me up.

I sat on the plane next to someone called Sarah Robertson and she was aiming for 3.15. She did it too, I looked up the database when I got back. She also told me that M running was addictive - she had done quite a few. As I'm going back again this year, for Cancer Research, and am so-o-o-o excited, I think she's right. I won't be at the Windsor half but will be at Lake Vyrnwy, prob wearing my CR vest (and Grade 1 haircut!)

SY3
  • Options
    NYC marathon: i did my 1st ever race, in 1991. I ran for Whizz Kidz charity. It was and always will be my bestest ever race. It was FANTASTIC. I was a complete novice, didn't do any structured training, i just ran. None of todays stuff (hills,speedwork,tempo,fartlek,intervals; etc). I was 31 and felt it was a challenge. Doing my first ever charity thing and the run. The unknown. I worked out in the gym, cycled, ran, did Karate. Did my girlfriends aerobcis classes 3 times aweek. I was FIT. I ran on a high. I started somewhere in the pack. I estimated 3:45. Took me ages to get to the start line. That didn't mean a thing to me then, i was a novice. The fastest part of the marathon for me was the last 4 miles. I was "flying" along. The crowd were GREAT. I clocked 3:22 (net 3:13). I was on such a high after, i couldn't stop taliking about how great i felt. To this day, i say it was the best ever. I didn't race again until 1997. I guess i've now become a serious runner and plan things out, train with the appliance of science but that run in 1991 was the best. I've run NYC for the last 5 years (1997-2001). I liken to a MISTRESS, i cannot resist the challenge. The challenge been to beat the course. It's tough if you want it to be. It can also be FUN. There is lots to see and do in NY, but i try not before the race. You can spend at lot of time on your feet in NY without realising the effect it will have come race day. Best way is to walk about but be careful not to overdo it. The course was changed slightly last year on the approach to Central Park but apart from that its "in your face". I guess my advice would be to "enjoy it..the first ever marathon is always for fun...after that it can get serious". Things to do - Woodbury Common shopping outlet, bus ride from New York Port Authority. Give you a rough idea, i bought a pair of Rockport hiking boots for $49.99. Over hear you're looking at £100 +. Do it after the marathon. You'll need a whole day. Grap a lunch box from a Deli (there all over the place in NY), walk down to Central Park. Get to the ice rink, find a nice spot to eat, watch them skate, listen to classical music from the rink. GREAT !!. Have a meal at Rosie O'Gradys. Do your XMAS shopping..videos/dvd's/trainers+sports gear at Paragon Sports down Broadway. YUP don't you just love NYC.
    On a rather sad note.....visit a fire station while you're in NYC. They will welcome you with open arms and be very humble and gratifying. I was touched by one story told to me by a fire-fighter (as they are known) at a bar when i was there last November, post-marathon drinking beers. OK this is turning out to be something of a War & Peace, drop me a line if you'd like more gos' on NYC. Good luck to all running NYC - ENJOY and have FUN.
    ............................................post race goody bag at NYC IS A REAL GOODY BAG, unlike what you get given at FLM. You won't find razor blades, shampoo, pasta sauce, deodrant, ropey cheese sandwiches and the like.
  • Options
    Caketin etc - letting you know I completed my first half and loved it. Bring on NY! 10 weeks on Sunday and counting..! How was your running this weekend?
  • Options
    SY3 - if that's a postcode I'm SY4
  • Options
    New Runner
    Yaay - well done - I was wondering how you got on. Only 11 weeks to go, eek!
    Still off the running cos of knee, but have been doing lots of cardio at Gym. My shower at home is currently broken, cold water only, so I've been forced to go to the gym every morning for the last week, and for the foreseebale future!
    Going to venture out gently on Wed I think -and fingers crossed it will be OK.
    Congrats again - how are you feeling today?!
  • Options
    Am feeing utterly stiff! In serious pain and have to keep moving around a lot..but proud all the same!! If I can do a half, I can do a whole - right?! At least your shower problem is forcing you to the gym! I spoke to lots of "veteran" runners at the half and they all kept saying the same - dont try and overdo things now - so, go really carefully on your knee..!
  • Options
    Hello SY4 - yes SY3 is a postcode - I live in Meole Brace.

Alas no log run this wekend as I've crocked my right foot/ankle - need to leave it a few days... worried about getting behind....
  • Options
    georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Come on New Runner, you can't just tell us that you completed a half. You gotta tell us. What time did you do ???
  • Options
    Am panicking now! I am 'doing' the NY but broke a toe ten days ago and am unable to run at the moment. The furthest I have run so far is 15 miles which felt fine but I am worried that with only a few weeks to go I wont have the chance to re-build my mileage up as per my schedule. I train at the gym at least three times weekly with a trainer; swim and do Pilates....but no running.....it will be my first marathon so whatever time I manage will be a PB but...
  • Options
    Don't Panic Gnasher, if you are with a trainer and you are doing the Cross Training that he is suggesting then you will make it.

It is your first marathon, so don't worry about the time. As you rightly say it will be a pb. Go to the USA have a great time and enjoy your race.

PS hope the toe gets better soon.
  • Options
    George - it's not about times it's about finishing !! But did it in 2:20 which I was perfectly happy with so please don't laugh!
  • Options
    New runner

Congrats again, 2.20's fab. After reading all the postings about hills and things I am not out to break any records at NY. I want to get round and enjoy it as much as possible. If that means 5hrs + well then I'll be getting full value out of the £70 entry charge!

• Options
    We are going to LOVE every minute of it! Can't wait! Are you in the London are? Weould be good to meet and run (slowly!) together...
  • Options
    No - Birmingham.
    But shall be coming your way end Sept (my brother lives in Streatham). Will let you know when I have confirmed dates and we can def meet up for a light jog!
  • Options
    Sounds good to me! Gentle jog to the pub maybe?
  • Options
    SY3 - I'm near Bomere Heath. At the time of London I think there was just myself and SallyB (where are you SallyB) from Shropshire. Now there's you and a guy from North Shropshire and Mij is it who is from the far West Midlands 6 miles from the Welsh Border which sounds like Shropshire to me! We're taking over the World!!
  • Options
    georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    New Runner , Why would I laugh ????? The beauty of this forum is not about times , we are all equally addicted to running whatever our ability and this forum allows us to share it and respect all and everyone for their commitment at whatever standard whether you are a seven hour or a sub three hour runner.

Besides, my personal, set last year, is only 8 minutes quicker than you!!.
  • Options
    Well said George! - couldn't agree more. God my knee hurts.
  • Options
    New runner

My kind of thinking! How are you now, still stiff? I still haven't ventured out on the knee yet. Made it worse today by cracking it into the corner of a table - ouch! Am enjoying all the cross training - and will be going out to buy a bike v soon, but still dying to get back out there, even if it's just a lap of the block.
  • Options
    hey Caketin! Haven't run again yet - went swimming which was fine - but hate not being up to running..! Think the groin really took the half marathon quite badly - so am taking a full week off before I get back into it...and then there will be what 9 or 10 weeks left!!
    George - I thank you!
  • Options
    New Runner, 2:20 ain't bad for a very first half! You've done it and that's what really matters! You should feel very proud - how many other people do you know who've run a half marathon? I'm back on the tarmac after an enforced week off because of my crocked ankle - did a really slow jog today and it held up OK, don't know if the bone man (a chiropractor at Wellington (that's in Shropshire to everyone save for Oldbones, who will know where it is)) will be too pleased.

Read a comment about someone being scared about 'all the hills' in NY - relax, it's not that they're steep, they just go on for a bit. There are some good downhills too!! - particularly through Brooklyn and then down the Q bridge into Manhattan. Do some hillwork at the end of your normal session and you'll be fine, particularly as you'll find that it's on the hills that you overtake all the people who weren't expecting them and get completely caught out. There'll be a helluva lot of 'em.

Oldbones - would you like a run any weekend?

SY3

• Options
    SY3 - are you doing Vrynwy? I'll size you up for speed and ability first!!!
  • Options
    SY3 - I'm just signing up for the Shrewsbury Seven Bridges 10K which is the sunday after Vrynwy, are you doing that too?

Sorry - this is a New York marathon thread isn't it?
  • Options
    Don't think I can do Vyrnwy sadly after all but yes probably doing the 10K. Speed - half PB is 1:39, 10K 41m. The chiropractor says my foot's OK to run on so great to be back in business! I'm sure I heard 'overtraining' muttered... are you reading this Caketin...don't go back too soon

SY3