Options

New York Marathon 2002 The Original

Comments

• Options
    Hey Caketin - that's great! I'm doing ok - managed 15 miles without collapsing on saturday - v slow but at least I'm clocking up the mileage. honestly - given up on time just want to have the most amount of fun, raise loads for charity and finish!
  • Options
    Caketin - great news - reread your last posting, you sounded so miserable and pi**sed off, and now you sound so much happier. Will look out for you in the bus queue amongst the 30K there!! OB - I didn't even start trg until after Lake Vyrnwy - and allowed for a taper - so yes of course there's still time. You're a fit git anyway!

SY3
  • Options
    Union Jack ????? Slaphead, if anything, I will be waving a Welsh Dragon !!!!!!!!

Oldbones, Why not start with a longer run this weekend? A couple of extra miles over thirteen won't harm your half marathon training and give you an earlier start for New York.
  • Options
    George

Now that will confuse them!!
  • Options
    Could not feel worse this morning. Went running last night and was so slow I might as well as have been going backwards. Everything seemed to hurt, I was in a foul mood and I kept stopping and starting -it was utterly rubbish. How the hell am I gonna get round NY at this rate?! Why cant I be consistent???
  • Options
    SY3/George - no more excuses then, I'll have to do it!! I'm double booked for that time so have to do some shifting around before I can commit, but will probably do it through Sports Tours and go BA from Manchester on Nov 1 and stay at either The Holiday Inn, The Mayflower or the Wellington. Anyone else doing any of the above?
  • Options
    New Runner - sounds like my run yesterday! Just remember the positive 15 miler.
  • Options
    trying - but you know how it goes - just feel uselss. BTW - am staying at Holiday Inn Midtown...
  • Options
    NR - if training for and running a marathon was easy, then anyone could do it. It isn't and they can't! Sod's law will mean you could sail around the next run. See you in NYC.
  • Options
    I'm going Virgin from Heathrow, staying at Crowne Plaza. Sharing with God know's who!! Caketin - don't be despondent - think positively - I bet you feel a lot different after the next outing. You really can do it.

SY3
  • Options
    N.R. think positively ... you did fantastically in your '15' so back off, treat yourself to a couple more days rest your enthusiasm will return much quicker than you realise and your progression will rocket!!!
    And I'm still thinking about that threesome - Caketin, progress report please
  • Options
    Just watched In Memoriam: New York city .....
    Saddened, Humbled , ....

Anyone want to get together to go to Ground Zero ??
  • Options
    I treated myself to a trip to NY after FLM and the dilemna was "how to deal with Ground Zero". Wanted to show respect without being voyeuristic. In the end the decision was taken from us. We did a river cruise which went past the site and a minute silence was held. We did a city bus tour which went past again and we were asked not to take photos, and lastly a helicopter ride which went over it. We felt that was enough without actually visiting it.
  • Options
    oops - I'm hogging this a bit aren't I?

SY3 - longshot this but were you running either down The Mount or in Longden Coleham this morning?
  • Options
    Hi everyone -
    Sorry I've been away for a bit! Thanks for all the encouragent - am feeling a lot more positive at the mo. Still haven't run for a bit but keeping up with the cross training. Have pared down training schedule quite a bit for when I do start up again - cut out one run a week entirely and swapped for cross traing - and will only attempt on 20 miler before NY instead of 2. Hoping to be OK for Windsor half at the end of the month.

NR - Hope your bad run is long forgotten - eclipsed by a much better one I hope.

Happy running to you all - I'll be back next week with (hopefully) news of my successful jog round the park!
  • Options
    Hi All , just read through the previous posts , Im also running the NY Marathon , after completing this years FLM , have only just started training properly , Im flying out on the 31st via Virgin.
    Hope to meet some of you b4 hand , New Runner , I work in Wimbledon and could me u for a run after work over the next few weeks
  • Options
    Not logged on for a few days because of business trip to sunny Bromsgrove and thenwedding anniversary.

Nope it wasn't me I'm afraid OB.

I struggled to complete the targeted 20 today - on the way back felt really tired. OB - was the usual route around the north side of town, Ellesmere Road then Welsh Bridge & out to Bicton Church & home through Radbrook.

Thought of another 6 miles is scary!

SY3
  • Options
    Sy 3, if its any consolation I struggled to do a three hour steady run today and only did about 15/16 miles. My feet are killing me !! Off to Italy tomorrow for four days R and R ... maybe some warm weather training too !!
  • Options
    Hope you have a happy hols!! Me? I've been demolishing the garden - legs too tired! 6 miles planned for tomorrow - aaaargh
  • Options
    SY3 - I know those roads pretty well having trudged around them pre FLM. Well done on the 20 - just don't think of the extra 6!! I'm spending too much time on very hilly routes at present so could do with getting back to the slightly flatter roads around town.

You've done NY before, so what's the energy drink supplied en route, if there is one that is?
  • Options
    OK - so I've just checked my travel insurance and it won't cover me to run the marathon. Anyone have a policy which covers then that they could recommend?
  • Options
    Hi CM

I took out a annual multi trip policy with Preferential who canter for marathon running.
    websites www.preferential.co.uk

• Options
    Ran New York as my first every Marathon last year.
    Atmosphere was fantastic - the noise as you run off the bridge onto First Aveneue hits you like a wall.
    Two pieces of advice
    1. Walk the final miles in Central Park before the race. I did and got massive lift once I arrived at this familiar section as I then knew how far was left and that I was going to make it.
    2. If you enjoy encouragement from the crowd write your name on your vest/shirt or carry a small flag - you will get a lot of "Go England!" and "Great Job Steve" shouts
    Enjoy!!
  • Options
    Cheeky Monkey - The thing you need to check is that a policy covers cancellation costs if you have to cancel your trip because you are unfit to take part in the marathon even though you may still be fit to travel. Some policies cover marathon running as an activity (i.e medical costs if injured during the race) but would only pay cancellation costs if you were unfit to travel. I arrange the travel insurance for Sports Tours International and their policy covers this eventuality.
  • Options
    Help - the motivation hasn't picked up and there are only 7 or 8 long run weekends left! I've hit the "I'll never do it" wall. Attempted to run over the weekend and it was a total disaster. Ended up walking more then running so recorded a snails pace. What should I do?
  • Options
    I was in the same position , I have felt unmotivated and have only just started my training completed the GSR.
    Hopefully my motivation will kick in ,
    Whats the longest distance you have run so far?

• Options
    Hi NR.
    my suggestion - take a weekend off. I know that this may not be "by the book", but from some of your recent postings you sound like you are a touch jaded. The break might help your motivation. Pretend you're ill - you couldn't possibly run with a cold now could you.

Option 2, not sure if you tend to run alone or not, but if you can find a running partner, they might help take your mind off things - when I was training for FLM a few years back I was really struggling to get through an 18 miler - I joined up with another random runner and chatted the last 3 miles away.

Option 3, drop back a bit on one weekend - having run your 15 (+?) miles, 13 should be relatively easy for you. Running a faster half can make you feel a whole lot better. (perhaps you can be the sub 2hr pacer for me at bristol?)

I do hope you get through this period - in 3 months it'll all be over and you'll have some fantastic memories of NY (I'm green with jealousy) - you might not be able to run all the way round, I wasn't in FLM (I got up to 20 miles pre race but pursued the tapering a bit too aggressively!!), but believe me, with the sense of acheivement you'll feel at the end it, it wont matter if you skipped a week.
  • Options
    New Runner

I'm Running the Dublin Marathon, meaning I have one long run weekend less than you. I haven't managed a long since Burnham Beeches. I have to admit I am starting to get a little worried now.

I managed FLM this year with a late surge in my training (last 4 weeks, 4 long runs 13, 15, 18 & 20) and finsihed in a new PB.

Bouncer is right. Take some time off.
    It really works. Worrying about it will only make you worse (I should know).

You'll do fine.

Jason L
  • Options
    Thanks guys - I mean it.
  • Options
    Hello NR - do look at the NYCM website - at www.nycmarathon.org - it's full of tips and ideas, and you can't help but get enthused. Please don't get despondent - it's so exciting out there, you'll have such a great time - I promise!!

The running expo at the Jacob Javits Centre is just huge - loads to do and see - and lots of freebies.

Incidentally previous posts have commented on the 3 hour wait at Staten Island - well there are things to do - there's a band, breakfast, running kit displays, lots of people to talk to, a Christian service - I went to it last year and it was great. There was a very funny baptist minister from Mobile, Alabama - 'where the homes are mobile but the cars are not; at least we're not Missisippi; etc. Plus God Save America and the Star Spangled Banner - loads to get you feeling 'I can do this...'

Oldbones - my weekend up in the Lakes has been cancelled so I've signed up for Lake Vyrnwy instead of the Great Cumbrian. As I've applied late I have to collect my number in the school hall - I'll be there about 12 I think. Greatly looking forward to it.

SY3