Options

Sub 3:00 FLM 2005

Comments

• Options
    Thought i was close with 12 seconds till i saw the time of a club mate 2:59:59 - now that is cool...

Keep it going to all who didn't make it - it took me six mara's to get there (just!)

• Options
    Sorry to hear about your experience Monique and its very gracious of you to elevate me one spot - though I don't take any comfort from your misfortune or the fact that i wasn't alone with those bloody cramps!

If I can offer any consolation, I think dropping out was most definitely the correct thing to do - if i was a competitive/club runner - I'd like to think I'd have done the same and saved myself for another race in the near future - as it happens, I think I've probably got away with it from what the doc has said today...the knee problem is unrelated to the cramps and he says running as soon as I feel comfortable to do so is fine... so its a few days rest/easy jogs nd then back into the hard ork with a tentative view to Blackpool for June - or perhaps, as Venom has suggested, Cardiff later in the year - although it may be a bit too late for a qualifying time fro FLM 2006.
  • Options
    Venom - my sister did Rotterdam in 2:51:57. I didn't want to know her time until after I'd done FLM and it was a little disappointing to find that she's still a few minutes up on me. Especially when my 20 mile times suggest I should be able to do 2:48/9. Never mind. I'll try again next year. I'm doing 3 half-Ironmans this summer whilst she's going to continue with the run training for Berlin in Oct so, by next year, I'll probably have an even bigger gap to close! My first half-Ironman is not far away - June 6 - so I haven't been able to take a complete break (last time I did that, I put on too much weight) but I'm having a very easy week, swimming & light weights. I start running and cycling again at the weekend. My legs are feeling really good at the moment - wonder if I peaked too late!
  • Options
    3 half ironmans! That's certainly glutton for punishment. June 6 isn't far off, are you doing Bala or Weymouth? Got my first sprint triathlon in 4 weeks, that should be fun.

Congrats on your FLM result anyway, and to Imogen too. Fantastic times both of you!
  • Options
    Ooops, almost forgot - glad you're feeling better Monique. Sunday afternoon was a lot of fun! Did you hear my and M's news?
  • Options
    I did, congratulations both.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Zoe, if you're doing Weymouth I'll look out for you as I normally go to support, normally on the 2 lap run. I intend to do it myself one year, so I keep saying!:o)

Moniquie, sorry the foot didn't hold up for you. Hope it's not too long before it's ok to run on! Great to meet you btw and hope I didn't come across gormless-I was a bit awestruck by it all at that stage! I really enjoyed my champ experience though and look forward to next year.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sorry about the typo with your name there:o)
  • Options
    Yeah, finally got to meet you, it's good fun on that start, very relaxed and easy to get into race mode. I will be there again next year.
  • Options
    Venom, Hilly - I'll be doing Weymouth. Hope to see you there.
  • Options
    Venom, Rick, and all other sub 3 runners....

Having licked my wounds for a few days now I am wondering what I need to do differently next time...so am interested in what your training looked like...long runs, how often, how far, how fast/slow, weekly mileage, tempo runs, easy weeks, etc etc.
    I'm sure there are few readers who would be interested in this to compare with our own plans....
    Thanks
    BR
  • Options
    Bluerunner - I'm sure my training is quite different to most of the others. I only run 4x/week, sometimes less. One of those is a long run, the others are speed sessions. Speed sessions last 45 - 75 mins. In addition (if I manage to do all of my target sessions), I also do 2 bike sessions - 1 long (about 90 mins) & steady, 1 shorter with efforts - and a swim - again, with speed efforts. I have to say though that I probably only managed a 'full' training week 2 or 3 times in the 16 weeks before FLM. In the 6 weeks before FLM, I did 4 long races at race pace - of 15, 18 and 2 x 20 miles.

For next year, I'm going to look more carefully at my diet. I eat far too much fatty junk food and think that my carb intake is too low as a result. I'm also carrying about 7lbs of spare weight. (actually, it's more like 14lbs spare but I've never weighed that since I was 13!) I would also like to swap some of the speed sessions for hill reps as I prefer them and think that they will make my schedule more interesting. I found it very tedious this year and am not mentally strong enough to work through boredom. (Hence why I waited on Canary Wharf for the next runner to catch me up - I was desperate for some company.)

Sorry to waffle - interesting question.
  • Options
    I've just ventured along to my local running club with a view to some tougher training for Berlin, plus to attempt to cut a couple of minutes from my dated 10km time. There are 2:33 and a 2:41 runners so hoping I can tag along on their training runs.

First run since Sunday today - a couple of gentle miles on grass - feeling almost back to normal again.

Off for a 10km swim then - can't sleep without averaging 10 miles per day!
  • Options
    JEJ - no offence, but have you ever thought you might be overtraining? How do you find time to eat enough for a start?
  • Options
    Bluerunner- I don't really follow any set training routine. One thing i do 90% of the time when training is to ensure that i always run at sub 7 pace. You may think that this is a ridiculous pace but i'm a firm believer that my body is conditioned to run sub 7's naturally now. I find it quite comfortable maintaining this pace so don't find that it has any adverse effects on me. My training log has me as having done 555 miles this year so far at an average pace of 6:53.

I feel i should have ran quicker in London than i did due to the fact that i did a 10 miler 3 weeks before in 1:00:45.

I agree with Zoe about the fact that i prefer to run with somebody, once the doubts set in it becomes a struggle.

I apologise if this is of no use to you, but it's how i train.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have minded catching up with you on Canary Wharf Zoe!:o) I'll look out for you at Weymouth on the run section. Do you know your number?
  • Options
    Zoe, did you really wait at Canary Wharf? How long for? It does look a bit dismal for the championship women out on their own, I wouldn't fancy that at all.

Typical training week for me was running 4 or 5 times, one of those long, one at marathon pace, the rest easy. On top of that I did a bike turbo session and a swim session (both quite hard, with the tri club). For the first 6 weeks of the year I did an extra swim session a week, and did a longer bike ride about once a fortnight in Jan and Feb. Also did two hill sessions (would like to have done more of those), but pretty much no speedwork or tempo running. Longest runs at marathon pace were 20m, 12m, 10m, 9m, longest runs overall were 23m, 21m, 21m, 20m, 19m.

So a very different approach to both Zoe and Rick there. Seemed to work well for me though...
  • Options
    Rick, only just noticed that 10 mile time of yours, most impressive. My 10m PB is almost 18 months old now (64:29), breaking the hour is a major ambition.

Should have said too that I raced a bit this year. Did a 10 miler at the end of Jan (1:05:31 - shows how unfit I was then!), a 30k in Feb (at training run pace), a half (1:23:06) and a 20 miler (at marathon pace) in March, and a 10k (37:06) 2 weeks ago. I could definitely run a half significantly faster than that now, need to start lining up some summer races.
  • Options
    blue-runner, like Zoe T I was only running 4/5 times per week.

Three of these runs were pretty much always a speed session, a hills session and a long run.

I also trained with a group of runners to a similar ability for the first time. In previous years I had done virtually all my training on my own.

Two things in the longer runs I found worked were
    - Running once for the same amount of time in the marathon. This was a slower run of about 22 miles taking in the hills and terrain (some beach) of the Purbecks
    - Pushing myself as hard as I could for the last twenty minutes or so once I'd reached 2hrs 15.

I also did a competitive 20 mile race and used this and how I felt at stages towards the end to decide what pace to go off at in London. I learned more from that than in any of my longer training runs.
  • Options
    forgot to add - the lower mileage was more of an injury prevention measure than a specific training tactic.

I had to pull out last year due to a knee injury that I'm almost certain was down to doing more miles than I could cope with.

It either worked or I was extremely lucky not to miss any training time due to niggles and minor knocks like I read a lot of on here especially in March.
  • Options
    I'm lke you Rick d - I personally beleive that training at or near to race pace AT ALL TIMES makes for a lot more sense... Back in the days when i was running sub 78 for half and sub 36 for 10K, I rarely ventured above 6 miles for training runs - I ran EVERY day and EVERY time my motivation was to run faster than my fastest ever time. Every day was a race for me. Like you say, I genuinely feel that conditioning my body to the necessary pace was key to my performances.

This year is the first time I have followed consciously tried to run at slow paces - i.e. 7min30s - and I found it very, very, very hard to do and I question whether I gained anything from it.

I am also quite surprised to read how infrequently some of you faster runners train and my initial reaction is to say that you must be "naturals"?

I train between 6 and 7 dyas of the week... and i train atleast twice a day - NOT always running - but weighs, circuit training, CV machines (rowing machine and cross trainers) and the odd couple of hour rides out on the bike... but generally it's mostly running and sometimes 2 runs per day...

I'm definitely throwing myself into Blackpool on June 19th in the hope of posting my sub 3. If I fail there it will be Nottingham in September - hopefully I will have posted a time good enough to get me to London 2006!

Will I change my training over the next 8-9 weeks??? Probably... I will train to a distance closer to or in excess of 26.2 and I will run the vast majority - including those up to around 20miles at 6min50 pace... Will I train as OFTEN? Probably not.. I will take more rest days - particualrly after the long runs run at or close to race pace.
  • Options
    Bluerunner – You have to remember when reading these threads that everyone’s body responds differently to training. I usually run 6 days a week (some doubles) and certainly couldn’t handle training hard every day, I know I would spend too much time out injured if I tried it. My philosophy is that if you want to run like the top guys, then you need to train like them. I’m not aware of too many top runners that train hard every day (except Paula of course!).

I tend to use the Advanced Marathoning book (Pfitzinger/Douglas) that was mentioned earlier in the thread. I don’t stick to it like glue, but try to build a similar type of plan. They stress the importance of the mid-week medium long run, to reinforce the benefits of your weekend long run. I think this really worked for me.

My marathon prep leading up to breaking 3 hrs was……

4 @ 20 - 22 miles
    6 @ 16 - 18 miles

Plus a few shorter runs/races to break it up a bit and a mid-week run of 10-14 miles.

http://www.pfitzinger.com/
  • Options
    rick d

I find it difficult to believe that you were even running your long Sunday runs at sub 7 pace. not seen that in any training manual.

My only race pace sessions were on Weds when I would do 8 miles at about 6.45 pace, with perhaps another fast one at the Club on Sat.

But then again I failed to break the 3.

Bluerunner having seen you breeze past me at Finchley, I would say it is only a question of time before you crack the three. With better weather and no injury I'm sure you'll do it.

It seems that I'll be the next on here doing a marathon, as I am hitting Vienna for May 22nd.

I'm going to drop the mileage, raise the pace, shed some weight, pray for cool weather, and see what happens. I'll report back on how I get on.

5 marathons and 5 PB's so far. Even if I don't break 3 another PB would be nice.
  • Options
    Oh and the majority of my long runs were done at around 7:30 pace.
  • Options
    How many people trained with a garmin Forerunner???

I have never been a memebr of a running club - even in the days when i was representing the GB Fire Services all of my running was done solo, all of my training overseen only by myself... I don't struggle with motivation but I wonder about the benefits of using a "virtual" partner such as the garmin and would be interested in hearing other peoples thoughts.
  • Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    Listening to how you trained is making me realise where I went wrong.
    Long stuff (up to 23 miles off-road) was done at 8-8:30 pace. I did hills and speed but not enough at mar pace. Infact only long run at mar pace was a 14 miler of which 10 was at 6:45 pace. I have looked at the pfitzinger schedule and will follow this next year (well this year actually, it is a 18 week schedule).
    I feel that the cramps I suffered were mainly because I wasn't used to running at 6:45 pace for long enough. Having said that this year was my best effort even though my 3:07 was 4 mins slower than my PB 2 years ago, because this was the first time I have got to 20 miles on schedule (2:17) knowing that I felt ok to keep going at or around 7 min pace. So next year will be sub-3 at my 7th London attempt!
    1997 3:06:10
    1998 3:05:14
    1999 3:08 (Shakespeare mar)
    2002 3:05:10
    2003 3:03:56
    2004 3:09:43
    2005 3:07:55

So there you have it.... my life story.

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    Must admit I am tempted by the Garmin.
    Met somebody running on the canal who was using one.
    Best thing since sliced bread I hear.
  • Options
    Th reason I am tempted but the garmin is that i am a SHOCKING judge of pace! I'll set off ona run consciously trying to keep my pace at about 7min30s - yet when I reach the first marked mile I find I'm running at sub 7 when i feel as though I'm running slow... Its not util i get home and do the maths that I can establish the pace i have run at... All my runs tend to be at roughly the same pace except when I'm doing a 6 mile tempo run at about 6min10s pace when I can feel the pace in my legs, my heart and my lungs...

My longest run above race pace was a half marathon... my longest run AT race pace was 15miles. All my runs in the last 3 weeks or so were at race pace or faster - except for my 21.5 mile run 3 weeks beofre the race which was at 7min48s pace - I atually intended and thought i was running substantially slower...

I think I'm talking myself into my belated birthday present!!!
  • Options
    I can def recommend the Garmin. I even found it useful during the marathon, although it really demoralised me when it lost satalite contact in Canary Wharf and showed 18.6 miles for what seemed like forever, before jumping to 20 and claiming I'd run a sub-4 minute mile.

It's really useful on longer runs though - it helps to remind me to pick up the pace.

If anybody wants to view the log of my FLM, I've shared it as an 'Internet race' on www.sportsim.com

• Options
    Just as a bit of a general training tip..

I was lucky enough to bump into a former member of our club last summer who was running London for.
    the 15th consecutive time this year.

He now runs for a club in Yorkshire, and has never run over three hours for the London marathon. He is now 58

His advice to me was to race as many 10 mile races as you can, so your body gets used
    to the faster pace.Then when you do the marathon 6.50 pace seems like a breeze.
    I think he says 10 miles because anything longer tends to take too much out of your body, so
    half marathons and above are not recommended. Anything less doesn't test endurance.
    I asked him his weekly mileage, and he told me 30-40, and he hasn't changed it since he started running.

This year yet again he went sub 3.

Now I don't dispute there must be some great natural ability there, but the fact he has made the start line
    for 15 years let alone run sub 3 so consistently, indicates there might be more then a grain of truth
    in his training advice.

As for his build he was 5ft 5" and weighed 133lbs, this would give him a body mass of around 22.

I don't follow his advice because if I ran such low mileage I would put on weight, but you younger
    runners who don't put on weight as easy as I do might want to talke on board what he says.