Options

Sub 4hr marathon,anyone?

Comments

• Options
    You've got the right idea there Alex, nice and easy does it. I don't intend getting too serious with the training until the end of January when the RW marathon schedule kicks off. I'll just be starting from a base of 30-35 miles a week instead of 10-15.

In 2003 I used Yasso 800's in my schedule and found they worked quite well. Anyone else tried them?
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hi guys. I have place and I would like to do sub 4 (pb is 4.18) however......

have promised my mate to go round with her as she will be 50 next year and wants to equal her hubbies 3 marathons!

So unless she drops out I will have to put off sub 4 till another time, or maybe do a second one next year with training under my belt?
    Anyway will pop in from time to see what's going on!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    How's it going everyone?

I did a 5 mile cross country on Saturday and just did a slow 5 miles yesterday to shake the stiffness out but today my calves are still qite sore this morning. It was the 3 times up the bleedin steep hill that did it.

Back on track this week hopefully
  • Options
    Going for my 1st run this lunchtime following 'cold-like' symptoms that stopeed me training for 2 weeks.
    Nothing too serious, just a gentle 4 mile plod should do.
    Dave
  • Options
    Hope your run went ok Dave, I had the start of a cold myself a couple of weeks ago. I took encinacea (spelling) tablets and also vitamin C tablets and it abated after 3 days. I've tried this combination before an find it works if you start taking them at the first sign.
  • Options
    Thanks Jenks, run felt good (hoorah, back on the road again). I'll stock up on some Vit C and ecinacea (however it's spelt!)
    Dave
  • Options
    To Jenks. Re your comment on Yassoo's.
    The FLM this year at the ancient age of 61 was my first Marathon which I completed in 4hrs 22mins by running 10min miles for every mile. To improve I knew I had to incorporate some speed intervals into my training. For this I ran Yassoo 800's. i.e.800m in 4mins alternating with 600m in 4mins.with 6 to 8 repeats. This worked for me as I ran Dublin last week in 4hrs 7mins. Now the target for the 2005 FLM has to be under 4hrs.(before age catches up with me)so I will be continuing with Yassoo's perhaps building to 10 repeats and perhaps speeding up slightly to 3min 50secs. For me these are very strenuous sessions which I can only try once per week.
    After Dublin I am taking it easy for a few weeks maintaining about 20miles per week before commencing my build up For April 2005.
    I wish I had started running before I was 60!!
  • Options
    Hi ITC, well done on this years FLM time, that's pretty impressive if you've only recently started running.

My understanding of YASSO is that you should run 800 mtrs in a time relating to your planned marathon time. So if you plan to run say 3 hours 50 minutes then your 800's should all be at 3 minutes 50 seconds and the jog recoveries should be the same time. You build the number of reps in each session (one session per week) up to 10 a few weeks before the event. There is more info on the American RW site
  • Options
    Hi folks. I'm hoping to do sub-4 if I get in. The 'cheques cashed' thread has confused me, but I think I'm probably in.
    I was thinking I might try the Yasso idea too - mostly because it seems simple enough to remember. All I need to do now is head out in the middle of the night with a can of spray paint and vandalise the local roads and pavements :o)
  • Options
    Morning everybody,

happy chappy this morning, why you might ask
    well yesterday I did my first run in 6 weeks that was free of pain in my shins/lower legs. OK it was only a run up to the shops to buy sweets and chocolate but still it feels really good to run pain free again :)

Have a 5 miler (Deal) on Sunday so that will be the first test.

BBB
  • Options
    Hello! I'm hoping for sub-4 at London (or Paris if I don't get a London place). I've done a couple of half-marathons and some shorter races this year but this will be my first marathon. My best half-marathon time (1:50) and my most recent 10k (48mins) suggests that a sub-4 hour pace is within my capabilities but I would like to be able to do it comfortably, rather than passing out on the finish line!

What sort of training should I be focusing on at the moment? I'm running four times a week - 1 speed work, 1 longish run (8-10 miles) and 2 shorter runs (6 miles, although I sometimes swap one of those for hills).

Amy helpful hints and advice would be very much appreciated.
  • Options
    Hi all,
    Got a place in London 05, (deferred due to injury from this year).
    It will be my 3rd Marathon - and am aiming for a sub4

I am aiming to build to do the March Hare at Christchurch and then taper down for London.

My biggest problem is getting my pacing right - so that is the underlying focus to my training this winter, plus I did a lot of junk miles in my last build ups - intend to be far more focused on quality training - maybe use a monitor if I get one for Xmas!

Looking forward to it already!!
  • Options
    MisterW, I'd say your training is spot on for the moment, the serious stuff shouldn't kick in until the end of January.

That's mgood news BBB, hope you stay pain free, don't over do it and keep up with the icing.
  • Options
    great news bbb.

i have got myself back into the swing of things over the last couple of eweeks with 4 long slow runs of about 10/11 miles around the docklands isle of dogs area,not trying to get any serious exertion done,sticking at 10 min to 10 1/2 min miling,but just to spend time on my feet and start to rebuild stamina.another week of 2x10 mile and i should be able to get the speedwork started for real and try and sharpen up for the nike 10k on 28th.at least the weight has started to come off a bit and that puts less strain on the joints which is also welcome!that should give some indication of how to set about the necessary speeding up and lengthening out of the training for the new year...

but it feels great to be back out there!next stop to find out whether i can start fundraising yet...
  • Options
    and on yasso's,i found last year that i had a compressed programme because of injury and i did get insufficient long slow distance done,but i did get a full set of proper yassos done twice before the race,I still only managed 4.45.i think the recovery is quite generous,so this year i will use them,but perhaps cut the recovery to 3-3.30 mins between 4 min 800's or try and get to 3.45 intervals to build in a margin.either way its still a great session and dead easy to remember...
  • Options
    I really want to do sub 3.45 for FLA but I have a nagging problem just above my right knee, it is even tender when walking. It is worse when I am going round corners, I ran the Amsterdam half could hardly run to start, however, once I was warmed up the pain went. Next day could hardly walk again. I have currently rested for a week and still no great improvement. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    and normski-don't know the notting hill/shepherds bush area very well for running,i tend to be around the wandsworth area south of the river or in the city at lunchtimes.you could do a lot worse than get a tube/drive down to putney and run along the river...its better in june,but i'm sure you are made of stern stuff...either that or run around holland park,it should be quite safe at nights.
  • Options
    where are you coming from?
  • Options
    Jan
    When you said 'rested', did you do RICE? Have you considered going to a physiotherapist/sports massage practitioner?
    Where abouts 'above' the knee? When going round corners, does the pain 'move' to the outer/inner side of the knee? When did you first notice the pain? Is the area 'sore' to press? Does it affect you during normal daily activities (walking, cycling, etc)?
    Dave
  • Options
    No I just have not run, I have been seeing a sports massage guy (very painful) but it has not improved, he has recommended going to an osteopath to check out my back. It is on the inside of my leg just above my knee (lower quadricep), it hurts when I try to drive my leg forward walking or running, as if the act of putting my leg forward is pulling on something, but sometimes worse than others. When I said about going round corners, I was doing fatigues last week and we had to do sprints up and down the hall and when I was going round the corner the pain was worse.It is not sore to press. It is more above the knee than on it, it is just a pain and damn nuisance.
  • Options
    Hi - FLM 05 will be my first arathon if I get in - like so many others I bequeathed and had my cheque cashed on the 29th Oct. - so may be in - but can't say for sure until December I guess.
    Have been doing lots of training - did my first halfmarathon( Barns Green)1in 1.55 last sunday- so hopefully not too far off track for aiming for a sub 4 FLM- I know there is a lot of hard work ahead though
    Is anyone /has anyone used the RW training schedules for the marathon are they any good?

Jan - that injury sounds nasty - hope you find out what it is and get it sorted asap
  • Options
    Morning all,

did the Deal 5 miler yesterday, ran it with a friend who was slower than me so took it nice and easy for the first 4 miles then with a mile to go I left her and powered through to the finish doing the last mile in 7 mins!!! thats the fastest mile I've ever done finished with a time of around 42 mins. No pain in legs (shins) this morning so looks like <touches wood> I'm back on track :)

Hope that all your injuries fade away and your times go down

BBB
  • Options
    Hi

I too am hoping to improve on last years 4h 20mins and duck under the magic 4 hour barrier. I bequeathed and had cheque cashed on 29th so guess its just wait and see for me as well!

Diana - I trained using the schedules, basically tried to stick to the sub 4 hour but ended up mixing it with the sub 4 30 depending on what work allowed. I did find them very helpful indeed and certainly aimed at the right level.

Last year I did a half marathon in 1h 50 as part of my build up and was cruising at half way with the pacers at 2 hours but just ran out of puff, hoping that sticking religiously to the 4 hour schedule and putting in a bit more effort this year will see me through...

Good Luck to everyone firstly for getting in and then for getting through it. Hopefully see y'all under the '4 hour' banner come April!
  • Options
    Sub 4 is my target did just under 4.30 in 2003 which was my only outing over the marathon distance,i didn't put enough training in and finished well short of my target.I intend to follow a trainig plan and hopefully duck under 4hrs then retire gracefully from marathons and stick to the more sensible 13.1 miles.
  • Options
    Hi folks, me again. Question. What minute miling should we do to get below the big 4 on the day?
    Started a little hill work a week or so ago and I can feel the difference again already.
  • Options
    Hi L Baker,

I think sub 9 min miles will be sufficient for a sub 4 hrs marathon

<does some quick calculations in head>

Thats a kinda rough guide, when I say sub 9 mins I mean 8:59 miles

BBB
  • Options
    Using the 9 min/mile pace also should bring you to 10 miles at 1hr30 and 20 miles at 3hr. Maintaining 9 min miles would bring you in at 3hr56 (chip time).

I would really like to finish with sub-4 on the finish clock. Does anyone know roughly how long it will take to get to the start line, and how much you are slowed down in the first few miles?

<makes mental note to bring along a calculator>
  • Options
    Morning all,

Think I've just been guaranteed a place for next year's marathon and want to duck under four hours so I guess this is the thread for me. Finished this year in 4h14m and it was my first marathon so quite optomistic. Best half marathon time beforehand was 1h54m so think I'll need to improve on that to get below the magic four hours.

blond dog, i started in pen 5 this year (about half way back) from the blue start and it took me 4m30s to get across the start line, thought that was pretty good.

I've heard that to get a true estimate of a marathon time given your half marathon time you should double it and add 10%? This worked out exactly for my FLM 2004 time. Question is, what about 10k times as well? I've got my 10k down to 48m50s and was just wondering how this fits with a sub 4hr marathon. Anyone got any clues??