Options

Sub 4hr marathon,anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Hainsey - thanks - that's certainly less time to get to the start than I would have expected :o)

There are several running calculators around. I use this one....

http://www.teamoregon.com/publications/wizard.php

which also gives predicted heart rate.

I reckon these gadgets usually predict a slightly faster marathon than most people would get, but I suppose it depends on the type of training you do.
  • Options
    It's usefull to know your mile times through out the marathon, in 2003 I used a wristband with all the mile times and also 5k, 10k etc follow this link to get your own

www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/pacebandcreator.cfm - 19k
  • Options
    blond dog - surely you are quicker than sub-4??? you certainly seemed quick at the Reading social last Xmas - or I was much slower!!

if you want a sub-4 on the clock, you will probably need to run at 3:45 pace as the first few miles are slow. in 2003 when I did FLM, I was tempted to go with the sub-4 pace group but learnt they would be going too fast as they used to go on clock time - I think they now go on chip time os ia bit more relaxed. they passed me at about 14 miles at a pace I would not have been able to keep up with at that stage of the FLM.

• Options
    Alex popplewell and david bennet I did the 4.34 flm and am aiming for under four too next yr, what's your training plans at the moment, would like to see if I am doing ok for the time. I did a ten k last week at in about 48 mins but that is only 10k! How far do you estimate I should be running per week? Has anybody got any training plans or tips which they'd like to share, I feel more ahead of schedule than 2003 when I only started my training 3 months before the actual marathon, but should I be aiming for halfs by now do you think? Any advice much appreciated as don't want to burn out like I have in the past! Thanx
  • Options
    i am not the technical consultant to talk too-i am recovering from a groin strain and currently at least a stione overweight.i am just trying to get miles on the clock,i did 2 20 mile weeks last two and this could be about the same-i have got up to about 11 1/2 as the long point and i'm doing yasso 800s in the gym to try and speed up-currently doing about 6 1/2 in 4 mins with full 4 min recoveries-i will get up to 10 and then start cutting the recovery.also doing qa bit of strengthening and flexibility stuff in the gym.but the priority for me is to lose the weight, get time on my feet,get mileage up and not worry aboiut speed too much for now...i am doing the nike 10k and if i go under an hour i'll be delighted!
    the biggest tip is get to the start line uninjured,don't overdo it,it is better to start the race slightly undertrained than slightly injured.lots of people here didn't get there last year though they were doing 20 milers before xmas...there is lots of time to go.my problem is that i find it hard to train more than 4 x per week because of family committments.

i try and do a "modified" 18 week schedule-4 outings a week,one long,one speedwork and nothing too easy. the rw plan is usually fairly well regarded,the problem is it doesn't come out till about 15 weeks before the race and so is seen by some as rather a steep finish and not enough tapering.i'd not panic about trying to do halfs,but then you sound like you are already quite speedy and looking for endurance,just add a mile a week to the long run.i would hope to try and get about 3 runs over 20,3 over 18 and 3 over 16 in before the race itself,that would be much more than last year-2x18 only,or the year before-2x18,2x20.
    nothing will ever quite go to plan though.just don't overdo it...much better to take a day off to recover than be forced to take 10 weeks off with an injury!!
  • Options
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?sp=&v=1&uan=1676

this is going to be quite helpful i think,in terms of calibrating the speed sessions-i was going toi use the rule of thumb of about 10 min miling=easy,9 = tempo/race pace and 8 = interval speedwork...not too far out,lookslike i can go slower on the long ones if i go quicker on the quick ones...i just plugged in 4 hour marathon rather than current ability....
  • Options
    Alex you're right, injury is the biggest danger, the only tips I can give our questioner Katreena is increase distance very gradually on the long runs, make sure you warm up before and cool down after and do stretches afterwards EVERY time.

I missed the 2003 marathon due to injury even though I was doing 20 miles in 3 hours
    so I pulled back on the training for the 2004, still got an injury but much less severe and recovered in time for the big one.

10k is fine at the moment, stillplenty of time, increase the long run GRADUALLY.
  • Options
    Hi FB - I'm only just sub-4 (3.56 at Abingdon as a PB a few weeks ago. Maybe I'll go for a chip time after all - no plans to increase miles per week between now and April.
    Hope everyone's training is going well.
  • Options
    ho hum - have a guaranteed GB place now so looks like I have my work cut out in 2005 with FLM and Ironman in July.......

KL - agree with the comments made, build up the miles gradually and I suggest if you don't have one get a Heart Rate monitor and work to that as it should stop you over-exercising and blowing yourself out. loads of advice around on RW and other sites about HR training.

yes - you can aim at some 1/2 as well but probably left until the New year now as there will be very few about between now and then anyway - so get the miles in and then a few 1/2 as a way of testing the training and establishing some times. if you want a sub-4, your 1/2's should be coming in at about 1:50 - and if you can do that time with gas left in the tank, you will be well on your way.

and yes to a good cool down after to get rid of the lactate in the muscles - you may find that a 20min slow jog with a few fast strides thrown in will help enormously - even if your body is saying no, do it!! (I learnt this on a tri-training camp recently - we were doing 3k warmdowns after only running for say 5 or 6k albeit at fast 800m reps)

hi BD - I thought you had a sub-4 time!
  • Options
    For people in the SW there are a couple of good training runs in the New Year - Feb Blackmore Vale Half in Bishops Caundle (Near Sturminster Newton North Dorset)- quite a hilly little number!! and then The Mad March Hare 20 - at Burton near Christchurch - flat and a good testing distance.
  • Options
    Any ideas where can i get more details and entry forms for these runs ?
  • Options
    Blackmore Vale Half:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=23547

March Hare - not up yet - if it doesn't appear by December email me and I will try and get details (I work in Christchurch)
  • Options
    just gone through £1k sponsorship....
  • Options
    Aaaah! So this is THE sub 4 thread...

Hoping for this but long way to go yet...(plus 26.2 miles)....

Hello Alex...
  • Options
    Morning Alex, and well done.

Morning RB, hope the training is going well.
  • Options
    Hello 2002...

Training going v. well thanks [touch wood]...without wishing to sound overconfident, I think sub 4 is well within my scope now but I'll be running to Mrs RB's pace so the aim is to get that up a bit. Currently 10 min miles comfortable..

Will know more after Bedford half...
  • Options
    hi rb

so you doing this as well eh?? join the sub-4 club
  • Options
    Hello fb...well both Jo and I are doing FLM but the sub 4 hr thing depends very much on Jo.

Really hoping to get her pace to 9 min miles but time will tell...
  • Options
    ratbag,hi there,hope you have a better race than 2003...

if anyone wants a Macmillan gold bond place APPLICATION FORM-don't get too excited-i have an electronic copy and if you send me your email-just click above for me-I will email you one...

v tired today,went to the gym with the intention of doing 4x1 mile tempo at about 8.30 miling.did 800 metres and decided that felt like a long enough interval so did 5 of those with 200 recoveries....not v impressive.need a couple of days non running and then it'll be a long run home on monday.
    10-10.15 comfortable easy running at te moment,not sure how much i will be able to gear up over the nike 10k,though maybe paula will inspire me....
  • Options
    Hiya - I am trying to get into the gear of it is difficult in this weather though! Might attempt the Bexhill half on Sunday, there is entrance on the day apparently which is good! Have bid for a place on ebay for the Nike 10k as it was fully booked - suggest people look it up as there are a few if you wanted a ticket! Although don't out bid me :o)
    Hope all the training's are going well! What speed should you tempo train at and what sort of distance, have never really grasped the speed training! just seem to go one pace all the time about 9 min mile.
  • Options
    Hello Alex,

No chance of a 2003 repeat... 9 min miles feel pretty easy at the moment...been doing some long term Base Training...up to about 50 mpw at the moment...although given time contraints, I don't see me getting much more..maybe 60 mpw...

Katreena...9 min miles are exactly right as I'm sure you know.

You don't need to faster, just further. Maybe that is where you should concentrate your training.
  • Options
    Hi everyone!

back again for sub 4 this year - managed a
    new PB of 1.48ish at stevenage last sunday
    so it does look possible . . .

planning to do Rome in march as a warm up
    for london . . .
  • Options
    Hi all,

Just done Cheddar Half - 1hr 44mins - so hopefully sub 4 is (technically) attainable......at least I think I can do it now!!

Mantra ; 9min miling, 9 min miling on on!
  • Options
    I'm new to this forum thing, don't normally have the time around work and training but seeing I'm injured........

I'll be doing my first marathon at London and am hoping to get under 4hrs even if only by a few seconds. My worry is actually running at the moment as I haven't run since the GNR because of a foot injury. Hopefully the ortotics I'm getting in about 2 weeks should help out but I'm soooo bored with gym work and swimming!

Is anyone in the Hereford area in need of a training partner for long runs (probably starting in the New Year)?????

• Options
    Hey CW, I think we're in the same neck of the woods, I live in Bournemouth.
    Just done a 6 Mile training run with a couple of hills for good measure in 55 mins, is that any good ?
  • Options
    Hi Hebbie
    What's wrong with the foot?
    Hope it gets better soon
    good luck with the training
    Dave
  • Options
    Got awful pain down the side of my left foot after I finished the GNR which only started once I'd stopped running!

I was then really stupid and taped the foot to run the Cardiff 1/2 the following sunday, oops! (got a pb though so it was worth it, and the foot was fine).

Since then I've been getting the pain when walking whatever shoes I wear and it aches in the evening if I've walked much.

I decided to visit a podiatrist last week and discovered I've got biomechanical problems and as I walk/run at 10to2 instead of 12o'clock so he recommended orthotics. I just hope they work!!! I hate this not running lark.

And my best friend has realised she's just got a place in London and I've got to beat her!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    hebbie,best of luck getting it sorted....

LB,55 mins for a hilly six miler sounds fine too...

natnif, you sound like sub 4 should be a formality.bit like paula in athens!!

ratbag-sounds like you will be sub 3 with all that distance under your belt...

long run home tonight,10 miles,then a good kip.....
  • Options
    Alex,

Sub 3 would be a dream but I fear one not to be realised...however, I am thinking of sub 3:30 at Abingdon next year...

Just need to get sub 4 first..;-)
  • Options
    Hi L Baker - I am based in North Dorset - run with the Dorset Doddlers - work in Christchurch.

Are you aiming to do the Blackmore Vale Half and March Hare as part of your build up?