Options

Sub 4hr marathon,anyone?

Comments

• Options
    georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Not really done much planning yet but the arrival of the acceptance letter has given me a kick up the a**e !!!

Plans so far ..
    Reindeer run xc 10K This sunday
    Merthyr Mawr 10K (up the biggest sand dunes in Europe !!! )19th Dec.
    Reading (every year !! )
    Maybe the Bramley 20.
  • Options
    Hi everyone

I have just received my asseptance...well yesterday on the second ballot. I did FLM last year and struggled through injury to get 4.16. This year I want to push that under 4hrs. I would welcome some mutual support and ideas re training. As far as races/organised runs are concerned I am doing the Watford 1/2 on the 6th Feb, the Richmond training run and probably the Finchley 20 (laps so not that interesting but very handy for west London as it actually takes place in Ruislip). I am hoping to do a 10k soon to see how I fare at that distance - anyone know a good one within easy reach of London in Dec/Jan? Mr Mammy is doing the FLM too so organising training will be interesting with two small children.
  • Options
    One acceptance envelope through the door, now on with the training (after the bruising on the top of the foot subsides!!)
  • Options
    hey George - welcome to the sub-4 team matey........
  • Options
    AA Tractor Boy/George - maybe see you at Bramley then. I've never done a 20 mile race before, so it will be a PB even if I do it at training pace. It seems like a good way to get one longer long run done - I get bored on runs over a couple of hours, but should be easier at an event.

Mammy - The Stubbington Green 10k is on 9th Jan - I've heard good reports about it, but not done it myself. I think it's South Coast/Portsmouth/Southampton way.
  • Options
    Mammy do you know the date of the Richmond run?
  • Options
    Hi all

This is my goal for a first marathon. I ran a 9-miler in Oct that took 80mins. I'm running at least 4 times a week (25+ miles) with 1 swim session as well. Am I being too ambitious? I felt great at the end of the 9 miles and had a sprint (well fast for me) finish. Hopefully, with the right training and dedication I plan to build up my long run distance at my current pace. Does this sound feasible or am I aiming too high?
  • Options
    looks fine based on 9 miles - but your best judge is a 1/2 marathon - anything between 1:45 and 1:55 should see you OK for a sub-4 but you still have to work at it........
  • Options
    FB thanks for the advice. I'm doing the Watford and Reading halves (although I've heard Watford's an undulating course and not good for fast times) I should know by then if I'm on target. Let's hope the dedication I've got now lasts throughout my training PLAN!!!
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

I've yet to here either way yet anyone else still waiting for a reply??

BBB
  • Options
    BBB

I'm still waiting for a reply either way. (Looking like a rain jacket now). I have a chance of a club place though and my last resort is my GB.
  • Options
    Yep, still waiting!

Hopefully might get in via club but must remember to get in touch otherwise it'll be GB.

Mustn't forget to start training as well!!!
  • Options
    haven't heard anything official yet.
  • Options
    great news from the latest email newsletter:
    One of the most familiar images of the London Marathon over the years has been runners heading across the cobbles by Tower Bridge. This will happen no more! As part of course changes announced last week the course has been altered around the Tower Thistle Hotel and that includes the carpeted cobbles, for years a part of the course dreaded by virtually everyone. Click here to view the course changes
  • Options
    course changes

nice to have a reversal of the route through te isle of dogs too-it looks like more crowd exposure at the middle of canary wharf.and we get to the urwfrc support area a tad sooner i think...
  • Options
    hi all.i'm still waiting for an official response from FLM,so i think i'm now allowed to phone them up....but i assuming that i am GB for macmillan.

got out for a nice long one at lunchtime today.11.2 miles round the Isle of dogs.felt much better than last time out when i shambled round battersea on sunday night,though toiday was 3 miles longer and 10s per mile quicker....funny old game.and if anyone is intersted in buying timex ironman/bodylink gear,i would highly recommend www.timexcentral.com....more on 'gear'
  • Options
    AP - I've still not heard anything official. Did FLM say to ring if heard nothing by XXX date?
  • Options
    Not in by the ballot :o(

The hunt for an entry continues!!
  • Options
    Hello,

Thought I might join you, am new to the website. Hoping to do London in 4hrs, but have now injured my achillies again ! thought it was healed had two weeks off, took things slowly as I came back, now it feels like I am back to square one & the 4hr marathon seems impossible. Loosing faith abit I'm afraid & worried that I will fall so far behind with the training.
  • Options
    Hi Judith,

dont worry, I've not done any training yet still loads of time.

Just make sure you give yourself time to heal

BBB
  • Options
    Hi,

Well, I do feel abit better I guess knowing that there are other people out there still to get going, have a physio appointment tomorrow. Will take his advice !
  • Options
    Hi All,

This may sound a little premature, but I am keen to establish my 'best marathon breakfast', and thought if I could get some ideas now I could try them out on my long runs.

My usual pre-race breccy is a Bagle with Honey, a Lucozade Sport and sometimes a Banana.

Any suggestions most welcome.

I normally eat at least 2 hours before racing.

PS - you are not seeing double - I posted this on Alex's sub 4 thread as well
  • Options
    porridge with honey and yoghurt
  • Options
    bagels with marmite...not too sweet.i then quaff sis lemon flour drink-go not psp22,and tropical flavour gel on the way round.though i have taken to making my own bread,soit'll probably be my own rather delicious wholemeal bread toasted with marmite....yum
    NB i have (generally) abandoned the other thread,it was last years, though people still go back there....
  • Options
    also,i rang flm yesterday and the recorded voice said that all mags would have been received by 13th.
  • Options
    Alex, thanks for that link, not too sure what I think about it yet though. I won't miss the cobles but we will miss out on St Catherines and the Tower of London. Also the URWFRC Support point is actually a mile further on at 19 miles instead of the usual 18. The doubling back at Canary Wharfe is to make up for avoiding St Catherines and the Tower.

Got my rejection on Monday so I'm pining my hopes on a club place.
  • Options
    Thanks Alex/Fat Buddha

• Options
    Still nothing in post. Rang FLM and they confirmed on phone that I was unsuccessful but couldn't tell me if anything had been sent yet or not. They also wouldn't send email to confirm rejection. Bah humbug. It's my club draw this Sunday 12/12 as well and still need that rejection letter.

Have GB already but was hoping to not have to use that. To make things worse, I've got a cold/sore throat and haven't run since Sunday. I need that release!
  • Options
    Good luck in the draw Jo 90 and get chewing the echinacea and vitamin C tablets to fight / stave off colds
  • Options
    Hi all

Have been rejected throught he ballot so i too am waiting to hear and pinning my hopes on a club place.

I did 2 sponsored races last year and really can't do a golden bond. There's only so many times you can ask people for money.

I ran London last year but had a niggling IT band which really flared up at mile 13. Managed 4:15 so i'm hopeful that with an extra years running under my belt, so to speak, i can manage a sub 4.