Options

Sub 4hr marathon,anyone?

I know its early days, but the counter on the FLM website is ticking down relentlessly!!

Anyone else getting in the swing of things for next April already?
I'd appreciate some company in the long slow build-up, if anyone is up for it, either via this forum,or in person if you live in West Sussex. Currently aiming for the Brighton or Wimborne 10k in November, before the big push

Comments

• Options
    smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    Hi, I too am now training for the FLM. Having only recently taken up running though I have a long way to go.

I am determined to do sub 5hr, but my real goal is to be capable of sub 4hr (I already have some sponsors that will pay out more if I achieve my sub 4hr target).

Unfortunately I live in west yorkshire so can not accompany you in person but would love to have someone to discuss training etc with over the coming months.

I think I'm going to need all the encouragement I can get, and it would be great to be able to chat to someone who knows what I'm going through and vice versa.
  • Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Can I join in?

Stylish
  • Options
    smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    The more the merrier I should imagine!
  • Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Hi Normski, I think sub 4hrs is going to be beyond me and off course it all depends on how many breaks you're gonna take if you know what I mean LOL. If I can get an official time of under 4:30 I'll be well pleased.I'll sent you an e-mail to and we can have regular chats re progress etc if that's ok with you?

Stylish
  • Options
    me too, me too. it will be my first marathon. i am aiming for 4 hrs; under 4 would be amazing. my 10k time is currently 63 mins. problem is i keep getting foot injuries which makes me worried i won't be able to train properly. i'm seeing a sports masseuse tomorrow and hope he will have some advice.

i am in london and just joined a running club--i need all the help and support i can get!
  • Options
    Good afternoon,Peeps. Nice to see a few like-minded people. Managed to grind out 4x5 mins with 2 min recoveries yesterday, before being called into work unexpectedly!! Trying to stretch in a hospital ward is not the best environment!Still trying to find the best night duty/training regime. How goes it with you guys?

• Options
    Hi chaps and chapesess,

I too am aiming for a sub 4 hour marathon.

Its a long way off at the moment and I'm kinda worring about fitness over winter (short days and cold weather) but training hard at the moment, got the thanet half marathon comming up on the 5th september as a gauge as to how well I'm doing.

Would like to do that in less than 2 hours but will have to see

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    Ok, so what did everyone mark as their "anticipated finish time"? I put G (under 4:30) to be safe, but now wonder if I should tear it up and get another form and put F.

Yep, still haven't had the courage to send it off.
  • Options
    Get that form in,BBB, you KNOW it makes sense!!.
    I think I put down 3.50,[For a laugh!!], but not absolutely sure. Read in some mag that its best to have 3 targets ; the best you could hope for,what you'd be reasonably happy with, and your worst nightmare!!
    That way, you will definitely hit a target. Does that make sense?. Apologies if it doesn't,but I've just got in from a night duty!!
    Sleep now, training later. Have a good day, y'all. PS Anyone toying with the idea of staying in London over race weekend?
  • Options
    My form is all written, I have bequithed(SP?) my entrance fee and put down 4:00-4:15 as my estimated time. one question is what does it mean by affiliated club? I'm a member of the thanet roadrunners athletic club (TRAC) does that count?

I like the idea of a gift if you don't get in but a waterprooof jacket that says London marathon on it is a bit rubbish (IMHO) if you wear it out and about and people ask 'Oh did you run it then' and you didn't seems a bit daft

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    I'm trying to get my distance up, I'd previously not gone further than 5 miles but did 7 last night in 55 mins and felt very comfortable. With the amount of time left before the big day I'm starting to think 3.30 is possible. Woo
  • Options
    Morning all

Can I join in? I managed 4.40 last year but really believe that about 4 is achieveable this time round. Have not managed to do much recently but managed a 5-6 miler last week. Should be able to get cracking early September, which puts me well ahead of where I've been in the past!

And yes I will be staying in London over the race weekend as I have to travel from the Isle of Man.
  • Options
    smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean BBB, last year I got a watch which was good (but haven't actually used it all), I can't see me making the balot this year either so I'm sure I will end up with one of the jackets - will be really embarassing to wear that if I haven't run the marathon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a charity place though.

I think I put 4.30-4.45 on my form but I'm really hoping to do sub 4hr, I've already got people promising to sponsor me extra if I manage it in less than 4, an added incentive to keep me going on race day.

I'll definitely be staying in London as I'm from west yorkshire, and don't want a long trip down just before the race.

Does anyone know how far in advance it is best to book hotels? I assume those near the start get fully booked?
  • Options
    Well I'm in London, so I'd be happy to organize some post-race fun if people are staying over the weekend.
  • Options
    smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    Oooh, sounds good to me!!!
  • Options
    don't we all have to put the same anticipated finishing times in order to start around the same time? i heard something about separate pens.
  • Options
    [YAWN!]Afternoon all. Sports Tours International have details of their FLM 05 tours on their website. Did the staying in London thing a few years ago,and the early transport arranged to the start from the hotels is an absolute must. It gets you there good and early, giving ample time for stretching, chillin' out, and waiting for the off. Meeting at registration might be a good idea.What do you think. Early days though. 'Post race fun' sounds like a great idea, Lucrece.
  • Options
    Last couple of years I have stayed near to Euston station as its handy for trains etc, and also handy for connections the start on race day.

So many hotels in London to choose from though....The Thistle Tower Bridge is the main hotel for the marathon and therefore a bit more expensive. I stayed last year at the Thistle Euston which was fine.

I recommend getting to London and registering (picking up your numbers etc) on the Friday. The expo is great but if you spend all day saturday looking round there you won't have any energy for sunday. Friday is a bit less crowded and means you can stay off your feet on the Saturday.
  • Options
    smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    This is all great advice, I'm going to try to get my self sorted early so that I know I've no last minute panicking to do - other than 'why was I crazy enough to enter this!!!!'
  • Options
    I've sent off my application for under 4 hours. Started running last September - got my first half this Sunday in Glasgow (hoping for under 2 hours). Good Luck everyone on firstly getting in and secondly on the day!

Hopefully see some of you there (provided I get in!!)
  • Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    I got my copy of the "Marathon News" yesterday and got all emotional just reading the stories of people who have run it.

I have the same view as the others re wearing the rain jacket. I'd only wear it if I had done it. I already have a Bond place but still have to enter the ballot. In a funny sort of way I don't want to enter by ballot because I'm quite happy to raise money for charity this being my first attempt. But should I want to run it again then raising money my be hard and a ballot place would be good.

I'm going to put 4:30 on my entry. I also live in London so if anyone needs any help do not hesitate to ask.

Stylish
  • Options
    Hi,Stylish.
    I didnt get in a few years ago, and the ended up with 'the fleece of doom'!!
    Never wore it ,for the same reason as you, and ended up giving it to charity. Been out for my run today, but no energy. [lack of sleep!]
    I owe, I owe so its off to work I go.
    Looking forward to the athletics starting in Athens. What do you rate Paula Radcliffes chances in the marathon, and come to think of it, Tracy Morris?
  • Options
    Stylish, there's a London social on Aug 27th (check the URWFRC forum)--you should drop by! Sorry if you already added your name; my connection is too slow right now and I need to get to bed.
  • Options
    Hi All

Just a quick hint from last year`s sub-4 thread

Make sure you all put exactly the same predicted finish time on your ballot forms - then you all end up in the same start pen.

Enjoy the running

Hollywood
  • Options
    Hi All,
    reading your comments about accommodation, I can personally recommend the "County" hotel very near to Euston station.Its very reasonably priced,comfortable if not luxurious accomodation and they are more than happy to let you have a soak in the bath after the marathon, plus very easy to get to and from the start/finish via tube.
  • Options
    OK guys, count me in.

Started training for FLM04, only to be struck down by injury, due to overdoing the training too soon.

Hopefully will not make the same mistake this time. Gonna take things nice and slow, hoping to get up to half mara/15 miles by christmas, and then all being well, take things further from there.

4hrs is the goal,but being my first marathon I would just like to get round confortbaly, so going to be concerntrating on LSD runs.

Stylish, Always apply throught the ballot. If you get in you can still raise money for the same charity, but they can then give the bond place to another runner. Most charities insit you still apply through the ballot for this reason.

Best of luck to everyone, i'm sure well have fun ;)

Dan
  • Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Hi Normski,I watching the Olympics now and enjoying but can't wait until the track and field events start. Paula is obviously a very hot favourite and is meticulous in her planning but make no doubt about it she will have to be at her best to win. There are on or two who could give her a hard race. Tracy is also a very talented runner who has developed late I think a top six finish would be remarkable.

Thanks Lucrece I'll check out the thread if I can find it LOL. May have to give it a miss as I'm planning a party for the 29th and have lots to do.

Dan, your right my charity did ask me to apply via ballot and will do so. Hope you stay injury free this time.

Stylish
  • Options
    Presumably, most of us will be following training schedules from this,or other,websites. Most of the schedules I've seen run for 15-16 weeks. Working back from FLM day, thats New Years Day [approx]. In the past, I've done the EXCELLENT New Years Day 10k in Hyde Park. Any of you guys 'n' gals fancy meeting up for that?

I never thought the day would come when Iwould say this,but I'm off to watch the.......................................................Badminton!!!!
    Catch up later
  • Options
    Reading this thread makes me want to enter again this year! I have run FLM for the last 2 years (first time on a Golden Bond and last year from the ballot). I swore I wouldn't do it again this year because I'm going to be in my final year of uni and won't have the time to train!

GOOD LUCK with training. I trained hard for a sub 4 time, and with a few 21 mile runs under my belt in about 3 hrs and a half marathon time of 1:46 it should have been straight forward. Finished in 4:12. Bit disappointed, but looking back I am now VERY pround of myself! It will be one of the highlights of your life :)
  • Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Hey Meggles looking at your profile you're doing lots of running already, more than me. Go on send that application in you know you want to. LOL

Badminton - incredible fightback by the Brits. Hope they win.

Stylish