Options

Sub 4hr marathon,anyone?

Comments

• Options
    lkol I don't have much choice around here! I live in the chilterns so flat land is a bit scarce!

• Options
    hi LB the race is on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:.)

GD
  • Options
    Last one to the finish gets the beers in!!
    Similar problem re. hills around here in West Sussex. The flattest bit around here is the banks of the River Adur, and that can get quite muddy, particularly at this time of year
    Anybody know of a good downloadable [preferably freebie!] training log for a pc. My lovely employers are giving me a laptop, and I want to put it to good use!!
  • Options
    Mines a Fosters.
    You lucky bugger Normski

I don't know of a free running log, I use the freebie CD that came With Runners World mag a while back, hopefully they'll do it again for 2005.

So Georgia's dad is this a challenge ?
  • Options
    why not if I get in and the new house doesn't take up to much time.
  • Options
    Hey alex, my p.b is 4.27 also and looking for sub 4, (secretly 3.30 but dont tell anyone)good luck!
  • Options
    just got back from my 12 mile training run so its

slim fast
    and then pasta n sauce

GD
  • Options
    Hi. I'm Dave and very new to all this e mailing thing.... i did the FLM last year in 4.34, managed to raise £2000 for wessex cancer trust. It was my frist marathon of anykind. I am aiming to go sub 3.45 in april, but training on my own can be very boaring and lonely, none of my friends are mad enough to train with me....... i wonder why?
  • Options
    db join a club you should find someone to train with.
  • Options
    LB - I've got a copy of that free log, and if you try to print any ofit off, the majority of it is black!! Will have another go withot when the laptop is up and running.

DB - Welcome to the thread. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone mad enough to train with. We're all like-minded here!

Hope you all had a good weekend. Fitness level is getting to be such that a pre- Christmas race may be in order. Possibly the Victory 5 in Portsmouth. Any takers?
  • Options
    morning all

did Cardiff 1/2 yesterday in 1:52:35 - not bad seeing as I had a stinking cold and hacking cough all week. Is very difficult trying to hack a big cough up when running......legs go all over the place!!

.......lovely flat course set up for PB's but not for me yesterday....

• Options
    nice work to get that sort of time feeling deadful at this point though fb,looks like you have a good base in place for the assaut on 3.59.59
  • Options
    Any of you guys entering the Hastings half marathon?
  • Options
    if I'm about - may be skiing that weekend.........but if not, yes......
  • Options
    Funnelli,

I'm going to do the Hastings 1/2 all being well. Better get my form in soon.

I have a question on getting sub 4 hrs.

Do we mean an offical time or a personal time? Isn't there like 20 mins before us sub 4 hrs guys get to the actuall start line (so I read) because there is so many people infront and how, if its true is that factored into the running times?

BBB
  • Options
    Morning

I am hoping for sub 3.45 again at a spring marathon have entered again but if dont get in will find an alternative marathon to do:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BBB - FLM use timing chips which register when you cross the start line and the finish line (and intervals at 10k, 20k, 30k) so you will get an accurate marathon time....

BUT - it usually takes FLM a while to sort all the start readings out due to sheer volume of runners crossing the timing mats so what the put up as results initially is time from when the start gun goes to when you cross the finish line......

and these are quite clearly going to be out depending on how long it took you to get across the start......

if you want a good estimate of your own time, use a good stopwatch and start it as you cross the start and stop when you finish - likely to be only a few seconds out with chip time......
  • Options
    Hastings is on my list! Hoping to do at least one other race in Feb, and maybe, just maybe, either the Kingston 16 or a local 20.
  • Options
    Thanks FB,

That make a lot of sense.

BBB
  • Options
    When you say sub 4 hrs, exactly what time are you aiming for ?

Last year I did Bournemouth Bay (half marathon) 1:52:56 then the FLM in 4:27:54
    Both where my first. Bournemouth Bay was a bugger (severe headwind and a steep chine climb after 1 mile. Excellent prep race for the big one though. I hope to do FLM in about 3:45 - 3:50
  • Options
    Er.... Less than 4 hours!

Anything else is a bonus, I'm pretty confident that I could run the 26.2 miles but finishing in less than 4 hours would mean so much more to me in an achievement sense.

BBB
  • Options
    Hi all, I'll pitch in with this thread if I may, I've entered the ballot and also have been promised a club place so fairly confident of getting in.

I ran it for the 1st time in 2002 in 4.47and in 2003 in 4.27. Gave it a miss this year but would really like to beat 4 hours next year.

• Options
    jenks,that makes about 4 of us,trying to go 4.27 to 3.59.
    i just entered the nike 10k as a good milestone to judge where i'll be in 6 weeks or so,kind of the start of serious training for april..i'm back in the gym but haven't put asics to tarmac in anger for a while now,looking at a few miles tomorrow....anyone else doing it?
  • Options
    Isn't there more than 4 of us, Alex? Or am I just losing it?!
    Eastbourne had their first half this year, but no mention of it for 2005, as yet. When is the Bournemouth half?

Welcome to the thread, Jenks. Nice progression in times!
  • Options
    normski - Eastbourne is planned for 2005 (I am going to be helping the organisers) but there are a few hitches with the council at the mo which is delaying getting things started........keep watching, will let you know when I know...........
  • Options
    Wow, bit spooky all these 4hr 27minuters all looking to dip under the big 4. I'm not alone after all.

The Bournemouth Bay run last year was exactly 2 weeks before F L M.

I wouldn't mind doing a 10k sort of January/feb' time,havn't done one yet.
  • Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Hi Guys, how is everyone? I went out last night and did about 5 miles at an easy pace. I now feel the ITB in my right knee as I come towards the end of the distance but it's not a problem the next day if I've done the stretching. Hopefully the more stretching I do the longer I'll be able to run without any problems.The stability shoes have made a difference to my running and I don't get the pain in my left foot that I used to get before.

Hi Alex, I'm also doing the Nike 10K more for the fun of it and also because part of the route is the same as that of the FLM?
    Looks like there be a big turnout from the forumites.

A question to the guys that have done it before. Will we have to walk a lot of the course , weave in / out of runners because of the congestion or is a decent run without too much hinderence.A guy i was speaking to yesterday hinted at a lot of congestion.

Stylish
  • Options
    lots of congestion at the start as you would expect but it all settles down after about 5 miles or so........but you can expect to do a fair bit of weaving in and out all the same but as the roads are wide then it is no major hassle......

best advice is to run at your pace and don't be tempted to follow others.......and pace comes with miles of training.......

as for walking - all depends on the day and how your run goes.........but lots do so don't panic about it..........
  • Options
    Is there not the temptation to put a faster time on your form to get further up the field to avoid all the congestion?

I guess that what should happen is, technically you never over take people as everyone in front is going to be faster than you.

BBB
  • Options
    yes BBB - that temptation is there...and you will also find many FLM'ers trying to get into the faster sections on the day so they can get ahead of the pack...........but over 26miles it is of little benefit...........

in some ways a slower start is better as it may stop you flagging later on and if you can run negative splits for the 1/2's then it should help............but negative splits over a marathon distance is very hard for us amateurs as we are just not used to the sheer distance and maintaining a faster pace in the 2nd 1/2....