Options

Sub 4hr marathon,anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Can someone explain the protocol in reference to 'pacers' at London.

Will there be an experienced runner setting a 'sub 4'pace that I can follow and if there is, do they plan on a negative split or a even pace throughout?
  • Options
    Craig,

There will be runner in a particular start
    pen - you can find them as they will have a
    stick with 'RW 4 hour pacer' on the top.

You will find out which pen you are in and
    which pen will have the 4 hour pacer at the
    registration/exhibition. If you put 4 hours
    as your anticipated time - these should be
    about the same. . . If you are in a lower
    numbered pen you can go back to the pacer's
    pen - otherwise you will have to try to find them after the start.

The pacer will attempt to do a steady time
    mile by mile for the whole race; to do sub
    4 from the time that *they* cross the line.

It usually takes them a couple of miles or
    so to settle down onto thier pace time of
    about 9 min per mile . . .

OK ??

• Options
    i will join the sub 4hr thread
    waiting on a ballot place, done 2 marathons - FLM 2002 - 5HRS 13
    cARDIFF OCT 04 - 3 HRS 47

If I dont get into FLM 2005 I will do Paris
    something to aim for
    at the moment just knocking out 1 hr runs 2 or 3 times a week

my main aim is to do sub 4 and feel a bit comfy around 22

i tried to do about 9 minute miles in Cardiff - did a bit faster but ran in porridge for the last 4 miles,
  • Options
    Thanks very much natnif

- the only thing I will have to check is what my estimated time was - (I am on a defered entry from this year FLM due to breaking my ankle in Feb and I'm pretty sure that when I put in my time I was less ambitious than I am now - 4 -30 I think)

Do they actually run with the stick?
  • Options
    yes.and the marshalls can be sticky about letting you move forward pens-going back is fine...but the pacers as i recall tend to gather at the back of the pen where there is more space...at least they now run to chip time rater than gun time,ie the 4 hour guy used to do 3.50 or so to make sure that they got there before the clock said 4 hours...they are highly visible.one of our lot took over the stick last year when the pacer got injured....mucho respect to KITKAT!!
    there will also be rw pacers at other events and at a 15 mile training run in richmond park in feb/march-at least they did the last couple of years.
  • Options
    Thanks alex - some ducking and diving may be required!
  • Options
    absolutely.the other problem is in trying to stick to such a big group during the race,i've found it works best to run in a group of no more than 2-3...i speak as someone who got almost mown down by the sub 4 group 2 yrs ago,a vast herd moving through the pack like the elephants in the jungle book.many blobs of strawberry jam left round greenwich...not nice:-)
  • Options
    Agreed...bloody hell, we couldn't even keep a group of 4 together in 2003!!!!!
  • Options
    Does it settle down after 2/3 miles?
  • Options
    Think trying to run 'with' the pacers sounds like a good idea. I know from experience though how hard it is trying to keep with 1 person let alone a whole group!

What's a good flatish fairly fast pre-London 1/2 marathon???

All bar one of the 1/2's I've done has been
    'undulating' to say the least and I think I owe it to my legs to stick with a flatter course!

Any suggestions??

With not currently running I'm trying to loosely figure out my training plan from Jan and look at my diet etc. Well that was the plan!!
  • Options
    hebbie - If you wanted a very long race The Mad March Hare 20 near Christchurch Dorset is pretty flat
  • Options
    Hebbie,

I believe that Wokingham is pretty flat although I'm doing Reading as I like the atmosphere and I PB'd there this year!! :-)
  • Options
    london is so lovely and flat did it ist time last year all by my self and looks like im in this year .desperatley want under 4.30 but found i could not keep up with the pacer and yet usually run 10 min pace.the first 10 miles goes so quickly but watch out for lots of feet and people who stop suddenly.
  • Options
    thanks for the race suggestions, I was thinking of maybe running Reading. Will look into the other suggestions though too.

Cheers :)
  • Options
    try Paddock Wood in March - very flat

or Worthing 20 about the same time - also very flat
  • Options
    FB...what are your race plans???
  • Options
    plans??? are you supposed to have plans??

errrm - OK - lots of running sounds good. whaddya reckon??

seriously RB - I am doing FLM and and Ironman next year (July) so I have a very mixed bag of winter training involving swimming, biking and running but my running plans will probably involve less frequency of running but I plan to do at least one long run a week (1/2 marathon +) from January so come April, a marathon will be in the legs - my base fitness is good, I just need to get the long run miles in my legs.........I also need to do one long ride a week to get up to 5/6hrs on the bike around April time.....

as for races - nothing scheduled yet apart from Toughguy at the end of January (that's for fun though!) but will probably do at least Hastings & Paddock Wood 1/2's and maybe Worthing 20 if I feel I need it.......maybe also do Brighton 1/2 in Feb..

have you planned anything?
  • Options
    Well, so far I have :-

Dec - Beford half
    Jan - Helsby 4 Villages half
    Feb - Bramley 20 miler
    Mar - Reading half
    Apr - FLM...

After that then I'll probably find a few halves to keep the interest going and we'd like to do New Yoik mara...

All these races will be run at Jo's pace, which is a little slower than mine, so If I can keep the training going, I'm aiming to do Abingdon in sub 3:30...

Can't believe your going for Ironman...I wouldn't mind a try meself but my swimming is carp!!!
  • Options
    my swimming ain't great RB but it's strange - stick me in a wetsuit and into the sea and I will happily plod along for miles - the extra buoyancy helps. am working on my technique to get faster though.

I should also say I have Brighton 10k on Sunday, and Grim 8 and Mince Pie 10 in December.

after IMCH - I dunno, a well earned rest first I guess! see how it pans out then as I'm getting too old for this long distance stuff........
  • Options
    How much training do you need to do for IM?

What sort of times are you aiming for?
  • Options
    P.S. Sorry to hijack the thread...I'll get off shortly...
  • Options
    I'll answer and then get back to FLM stuff - e-mail if you need any more IM info - some FLM'ers may find it interesting though!

at the mo I'm not training heavily but mainly working on base fitness and technique (swimming mainly) and training to heart rate 'cos at the end of the day an IM is all about endurance........so training for me means mixing all 3 disciplines into a week......swimming 2 or 3 times a week, running similar with distances up to 10 miles, and on the bike when I can, although I also now have a turbo so if the weather's shite I can sit on that and spin the legs

my plan from now on is to get out and do a long ride on a Wednesday as an IM will mean about 7hrs on my arse so I need to get it conditioned!! and then a long run at the weekend as it would be stupid to do a long run and bike at a weekend - too much. I'm trying to work at about 30 beats below HRmax to build endurance but every few weeks will throw in a hard sesh at near max HR to build lactate tolerance and check speed.

as spring goes by, I will have to up the weekly training until it maxes in about mid-June and then start tapering for IM - too much too early will lead to burnout, injury, boredom etc.... I also need to practice nutrition strategy so I can feed prperly as I will be on the go for at least 14hrs I reckon (that's my target).

FLM in April will provide me with a good test of my endurance levels - maybe it's a bit heavy for a training schedule but doable...will also do a couple of tris in advance as checks as well.......

• Options
    FB. You have mail.
  • Options
    RB - you have a reply
  • Options
    morning all.bit knackered this morning ,but quite happy to have hit an intermediate goal in the nike 10k last night.i had hoped to go under an hour at this point,and made it in 59.14 on my watch.....
  • Options
    good stuff AP....

my training is going well - had a PB in Brighton 10k a week ago (47:28 - over a minute off) and did a nice easy 11 miler in 1:40hr yesterday.......

and got a ballot place confirmation letter on Saturday so can hand my GB back now......
  • Options
    My acceptance letter from FLM has arrived! I've got Stubbington Green 10k planned for January and Bath half in March. The Bramley 10/20 looks interesting as well. Anyone planning on doing any of these?

FB - FLM just a gentle warm-up for you then...
  • Options
    not doing those BD - too far away from Zuzzex but got others planned....

not sure if I would call FLM "gentle" - is still going to be hard work but hopefully, worth it for Ironman.......
  • Options
    Acceptance arrived friday,have nothing planned for december will probably carry on with my normal weekly training sessions and then start a training plan in january.
    normal week
    long run approx 10 miles easy.
    steady run about 7 miles with 2 or 3 5 min bursts thrown in.
    5 mile threshold run
    track session which will be some form of speework depending how i feel on the night.
  • Options
    BD, I am planning to do Bramley 20. I was only going to do the 10 but I got in to FLM.