Options

Sub 4hr marathon,anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Hi guys,

Its official I'm not in :(

Big disapointment on one hand kind of relieved on the other.

Been running for to long on pain killers, so this will give me the chance to rest and recover for a few months over the winter with plenty of gym work and cross training with the aim of doing a local marathon late next year.

Nice jacket by the way :)

BBB
  • Options
    Hi all

Managed to get a club place so I'm very pleased. Time to notch the training up a gear!
  • Options
    Arrrgh! Just found out I have sprained my medial collateral ligament, no 'running' for about 4 weeks. Have to do some swimming/low impact training to keep the old cardio-vasc system working. Hopefully get some physio in the near future (probably mid-Jan!!!!!!)
    Oh well, back to the ice pack!
    Hope the training is going well
    See you at the start line :-)
    Dave
  • Options
    Bad luck 2002 ATO - hope it gets sorted out okay.

Training is ticking along okay for me at the moment. Just feeling tired from running in the mornings in the dark
  • Options
    Thanks BD. Strange, but from seeing the doc this morning, and having been hobbling for the past 7 days, the knee feels a lot more stable this evening and the 'limp' has gone.

Maybe I'll be out running before too long (maybe re-assess in a week) :-)

Good to hear your training is going well, and in 6 days it'll start getting light again :-)
  • Options
    Hi Guys...I have a place in the marathon...very exciting but also very scary! Has anyone got any advice, I am currently running 13 miles for my long run and I am slowly increasing it. I have been seeing a physio for a knee problem but it is getting better but worried that if I increase mileage too much too soon I will be injured closer to the race....any advice would be fantastic!!
  • Options
    Hi Matt

Congrats on getting a place in the marathon. A couple of questions:
    a. What is wrong with your knee?
    b. What does the pyhsio think about you running 13 mile long runs?

regards
    Dave
  • Options
    Hi Dave...It is runners knee brought on by posture at work and my l5 vertabrae stffening up. My physio is quite happy with me doing long runs but she has expressed a concern about doing too many hills. I need to be concsious of my running technique when I do my long runs as when I get tired, I tend to lose posture.
  • Options
    2002ATO - yep, certainly looking forward to lighter mornings.

Matt - some random thoughts. 13 miles seems quite a lot for your long run - most schedules would hit this in mid to late Jan. Maybe alternate a long run of 10 miles one week with a slower longer one the next week. If you don't already, you could stop and stretch ITB and quads a couple of miles into the long run.
    I had some back problems about a year ago, which were sorted out by an osteopath, who recommended swimming (front crawl) as the rotation in the spine helps to keep things loose (er, I've yet to do this..)
  • Options
    hi folks - how's the training going??

Matt - I would agree with BD a bit about mixing your runs up but don't see why you should stop or even lengthen your long runs if you are OK at the end of them - I'd only change if you develop more problems but it seems the knee is getting easier so wouldn't worry unless it got worse

I feel it's best to be ahead of schedule and don't see any problem with keeping up the long runs - more time on your feet so your body becomes accustomed to it ......

I have done 15 milers on the last 2 Sundays both at a nice steady pace and not too quick (am running on HR to keep me in check). I may go up to 18miles over the Xmas break.......as I have FLM and an Ironman to contend with next year so have to get into the groove for both.........
  • Options
    Hey folks!! Thanks for your comments..BD I have been doing these long runs for quite a while now. It was only until I developed this knee problem I had to shorten my run to 10 miles but up until then I was doing 15/16, I have been building back up slowly and looking forward to getting back up to peak performance...I like the idea of stretching part way through. I am cross training at the moment also and I was swimming until our swimming pool closed!!!
  • Options
    hi all.back from new year trip to barbados,very pleasant but really hot and humid for running any later than about 6am.needless to say the mileage has dipped a bit.but it felt great getting out at lunchtime for a steady 6 miler and being able to breather.just concentrating on burning off the xmas flab and pushing up the mileage over the next few weeks;examining the training schedules-i'm loosely following the rw newsletter/ultimate one at the mo,though i want to do more mileage earlier than they do...and i have to have a rest day on a saturday so i can stay married....how's everyone else getting on?
  • Options
    also,what races are you doing-i will be at reading half,and possibly at the rw paced training run...
  • Options
    hi alex et all

training going well - had a couple of big runs over Xmas period including an 18miler (last 30mins were hard but had done loads in the 3days before!)

believe I am well ahead of where I was at this stage in 2003 - so pretty darned chuffed I must say.........hope I can keep it going!!
  • Options
    morning all.i see ms ratcliffe has signed up to pace us....
  • Options
    have to give her a bit of a race then eh???

another 18miler yesterday which was tougher than the last one but I blame a hard bike turbo session last Wednesday which nearly made me sick! but all heading in the right direction. off skiing next week so won't be running and then aim is a 20 miler when I get back.......but have Toughguy to do first on the 30th.....
  • Options
    morning all btw
  • Options
    Hey Fb

Do you reckon that skiing can be included in the plan as altitude training? ;o)

All that exertion, full leg workouts every day, lack of oxygen etc.....oh, and the fluid intake!

20 miles should be a doddle on your return!
  • Options
    would love to include it as a plan but don't think a week makes much difference - but I have noticed in the past that 1st run after coming back from skiing does feel easier - shame it doesn't last :O((
  • Options
    I had noticed the same thing.

Makes you understand the advantage of training full time at altitude, e.g. Kenyans, and Paula living in the Pyrenees.

• Options
    you can always spend a shedload of dosh and buy one of those altitude tents for home use.............

best training for running has been ski touring as you are also exercising very hard at altitude..........better muscle use than straight downhill skiing as well.......and great fun
  • Options
    Hiya folks.

Just been away for the weekend on 'Marathon Camp' and am back brimming with enthusiasm and motivation but it's a rest day ....Bu@@er

Did a 2 hour long run at camp yesterday so at least 12 miles i reckon.

The great mileage notch up starts now :o)

I did an 18 miler about 2 weeks brfoer christmas though so it shouldn't be too difficult.
  • Options
    Morning all, and Happy New Year.

Injury free again and starting to up the mileage (slowly).
  • Options
    Hello,

Happy New Year all, I have been going to the physio since 9th Dec & he has now said that I can start running again, mind you just 200m, then 300m & then so on, thank goodness it seems so long ! I even thought about pulling out of London, but can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully I will be able to catch up on the training have been going to the gym, so hopefully I will be able to get back ok.
    Taking things really slowly first though.
    Sounds like you are all doing well.
    Jx
  • Options
    hi all.just got the first serious threshold run done-i am vaguely following the schedule in this months mag-though i don't know if i'll be able to do 'kenyan hills',and might settle for yasso 800's instead.

one thing i'd love to do is running with fellow forumites before the big day,if anyone fancies that-where are you all based-i am wandsworth and work in the city-happy to run at lunchtimes in the city/evenings in south london/home from work.i will certainly be doing reading half,and probably the rw 15 miler in richmond park...
  • Options
    hi alex,

sent you a mail re training during week , also work in city....
    Its been a while since NY02

laters

RR
  • Options
    Anyone doing yasso 800s - if so what is the amount you need to train to to do the sub 4 hour.
    I am currently doing 6 x 800 at the gym running at 12k with a 4 min jog in between
    am still not sure how it's supposed to work.
    All I know that after 6 I am knackered ...so hopefully I am on the right lines?
  • Options
    lunny - the theory with yasso 800's is that your 800m time in mins, should equate to your marathon time in hours........so for a 4hr marathon, you should be knocking out 4min 800's with an equal time i.e.4mins between each 800 at jog pace............

when I did FLM in 2003 I managed to get up to 10x800 at a speed of 13kph on the treadmill which eqauted to about a 3:45 800m............theoretically I should have had a 3:45hr marathon in me, but the very hot day ruined that and I came in at 4:07 so I have a score to settle this year!!!
  • Options
    cheers fat bhudda - so you reckon if I can get to 10 x 800 at 12k that should be reasonable.
    What speed does the jog need to be - or does that not matter and how regularly do you need to incorporate into your training

Can I sue Yasso if I fail miserably

Did FLM in 4h 41m last year - first marathon and only- am really going to go for 4h this year.

Apart from yassos or however they are spelt what about long runs - last 2 have been 13 and 11
  • Options
    I'd personally try to go a little quicker - maybe 12.5kph......as your aim is sub-4 not exactly 4!!

jog speed maybe at 8/9kph

your yasso set should only be done once in the build up period to FLM - plan it such that you get the 10 rep one in about 3weeks before FLM as that will at the end of your peak training period so it will be a good check of your status.......

your long runs should be getting progressively longer week by week.......not shorter........building up to at least 3 20 milers pre FLM........I am up to 18 miles already but I am coming off a good autumn base of training and am aiming to get up to 22 miles at least 5 times pre FLM........you have to get your legs used to the distance involved.......and I am also in training for an Ironman in July so my training is more intense than just FLM so don't follow my plan!!

and do a couple of 1/2 marathons in as a speed test........aim for 1:45 to 1:50 as this should mean you are on track for a sub-4