Options

Sub 4hr marathon,anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Normski,

As I live in Thanet and don't like to travel to races I intend to do the Deal 5 (just for fun) and the Thanet 10 and 20 miles for my warm ups before FLM. Currently I'm resting my sore legs before starting again

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    yup thats the one norm

there are a couple of variations but thats a good basic exercise to balance the ab work
  • Options
    or do the plank exercise for lower abs, crunches for upper abs.
  • Options
    DONT want to sound daft but,er,'plank exercise'?!!!
    BBB - any chance you may come down and do Hastings? Tough course, but brilliantly organised
  • Options
    When??? and how far???

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    Hasting 1/2 - good warm up for FLM - first 5 miles uphill, last 2 flat miles usually into a headwind - tough(ish) course but well organised and suppported (voted best 1/2 in UK by RW). 13th March.
  • Options
    Hi Guys, hows everyone doing. Well I haven't had a run for 10 days now due to tight ITBS's but will be going for a jog tonite to see how things go. Also got new stability shoes instead of the neutral ones I had before on the advice of the podi.I think it's called back to basics arrrghhhh.

Stylish
  • Options
    Hi, Stylish. Thanks for making me feel better--I've been taking it easy too due to continuing ball of foot pain. I'm having it checked out next week. Will go for 4.5 miler tonight though.
  • Options
    I just looked up the Hastings 1/2 and last year they had nearly 4000 entrants! and their max is 4000 so should I book early??

I used to holiday down in hastings with my family, caravan park caled Coombe Haven (SP?) I think.

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    Hi Lucrece, It's all highs and lows with this running lark isn't it? Stlli apprehensive about my new shoes. I bought a size 10 which is one size bigger than normal but have this doubt in my mind that maybe I should have gone for a 10 1/2. They felt a bit loose when I tried them.
    Anyway take it easy with the running especially if your foot problem isn't been sorted. I know it's hard but a week missed now is better than a month later down the line. We still have time on our side to sort things out but not when the new year comes around. So be careful not to over do it.

Stylish
  • Options
    <Bloody Computers>

Just wrote a whole load of stuff an PC crashed!!

Ok second try.

Hi Chaps, here is a list of pre FLM races I'm aiming to do.

(I'm cutting and pasting these so if its a bit wonky sorry)

Deal Castle 5 Miles Sunday 7 November 2004
    Thanet Coastal 10 Miles Sunday 5 December 2004
    Barrett’s Canterbury 10 Miles Sunday 30 January 2005
    Deal Tri Dover Mercury Half Marathon Sunday 20 February 2005
    Thanet 20 Miles Sunday 6 March 2005
    Hastings Lions Half-Marathon Sunday 13 March 2005

All coments welcome

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    Hi BBB, I don't know at what stage of your training your at but I would say this.

5 miles to 10 miles in 4 weeks may be too much?

13 miles to 20 miles in 2 weeks? As above.

Like I said you may be running 20-25 miles on your long run already but I'm just trying to alert you to the fact that it may need more time to do the respective distances.

I had a 10m planned for this coming week which I'm not doing because of injury. The next month may be just getting used to new shoes orthotics etc. I want to do a 10M, Half marathon and possibly a 20 miler before the FLM but that all depends on how it goes.

Stylish

• Options
    Hi Stylish,

Thanks for your concern, but your right I have already run most of these distances.

Did a 1/2 followed by 15m 2 weeks later and felt ok.

Just thought I'd post to see if anyone had any other suggestions for races that I could squeeze in.

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    Thanet followed by Hastings will be hard on the legs.......I did back to back 1/2's last year and the 2nd one was very hard.....maybe not a good idea to race a 20 and a 1/2 a week apart...

early this year I did Eastbourne/Hastings/Paddock Wood in succession which were 2 weeks apart and got quicker on each one.....but then I didn't do FLM this year

• Options
    Hi FB,

Good points will probably not run flat out on the hastings 1/2 just treat it as a long recovery run. In truth I will probably treat a lot of them as my long sunday runs slow and steady.

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    Ok, who's going to design the banner, so we can all meet up for an orange juice/lager after Hastings?! Another race suggestion - is the old Canterbury 10 still going? Traditionally, I used to do that as the first race of the year in my, ahem,'hey-day'!!
    Still haven't completely dismissed the idea of the New Years Day 10k in Hyde Park, but will probably chicken out and do the Stubbington Green 10k a week later. Oh, well, time for work. Nite nite Peeps. Gosh,I hate doing nights!!
  • Options
    Hi folks,
    Thanks for the tips,
    I live in Bournemouth and they've moved the Bay run back to 2 weeks befre the F L M, Ifound that a good one.
    Stylish fella, if you're suffering from I T B there's only one answer - Physio. It hurts but it's worth it and mine wasn't due to shoes, it's just some people are prone to it. You should find a stretch on this website that'll help.
  • Options
    Oooo !!!

200 posts

Do I get a prize???

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    Thanks L Baker, Yes I had a physio session on Tuesday and I know that one is not going to sort out the problem, but for what he did and what he charged, I could have done it myself. He did mention that my tendons and muscles were unusually tight and streching was the answer but it's a difficult thing to stretch.I've seen all the exercises and will probably start doing them daily.
    I went out for my first jog for 10 days last night and could feel the ITB coming on quite quickly. It didn't trouble me unduly but I knew it was there. Plus I was in my new trainers so I only did about three miles. It's also a bugger running in the dark and you find that you have to take some unexpected jolts because of unevenness. Anyway will do another run on Friday and hopefully it will be longer and pain free.
  • Options
    I don't know what your chap did but the treatment I had to have consisted on my physio leaninfg into my upper leg and pushing down along the band, then some deep massage on the point of pain on the side of my knee, then a spot of ultra sound. I had to have approx 3 sessions and also stretching.
    There's really only one stretch with a coule of slight variations but it works as long as you keep it up. Best to incorporate into post run stretches.
    Hope that helps, meanwhile I've only just started back easing in with some 2-3 milers
    Who did more than 4 hrs last year and now wants to beat it 2005?
  • Options
    I had ITBS for this years FLM pain from mile 2.

Reated for 2 months then some light jogging.

Now upto 30 miles in a week.

Hope to stay that way.

GD
  • Options
    I did 4h 27 last time, do you thing sub 4 is realistic this time?
  • Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Hi LB, thanks for the info.It's definitely a bugger to stretch the ITB and will now probably become a daily thing. Anyway I'm going for a run tonight hopefully a bit longer than before and with no reaction.If I can do 4.27 for my first time I'll be well chuffed.There's no reason why you can't do sub 4 as long as you remain injury free as there is plenty of time to get the training in.

Georgia's dad

"I had ITBS for this years FLM pain from mile 2"

How did you manage to complete it then. Did you keep on stopping to stretch it? You did well to finish it anyway.

Stylish
  • Options
    HI no I just kept thinking of the pain my daughter had been through and kept going

Maybe not a good Idea but going for sub 4 and getting 4hr 27mins 10 secs was OK.

GD
  • Options
    Hey Geogias dad, you beat me by 44 secs. Wonder what the story will be next time?

Stylish fella, yes I agree, the biggest challenge for me will be to avoid injury, unfortunatly I am prone. I'm thinking of trying some strength building exercises but which ones. Anyone got any suggestions ?
  • Options
    hi LB,i am trying to turn 4.27 pb flm 2003 into sub 4.its just gotta be done.
  • Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    LB,

check out this site.there's plenty of exercises for the whole body.

http://www.tinajuanfitness.info/exercises/lbstrength1.html
  • Options
    I thought i'd try hill reps this year too, supposed to be a leg strengthener.
    Just got to go under the 4hr.