Options

Sub 4hr marathon,anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Look at it this way Bert.

You need to do a half at your 1:55 pace, walk for 10 minutes and then do a 1:57 or so half....

No problem!! :P
  • Options
    Good morning Peeps
    Used previously mentioned HRM for the first time this morning. Not for running, but on the bike.Although its only a basic model, it stopped me from being lazy and slowing down too much. Only hope it has the same effect when running with it!!
    Have a good day, y'all ;-}
  • Options
    BBB - don't take 1:55 and just double it to get sub-4 but the potential is there with more work - a marathon is a damn sight harder work than a 1/2

pre FLM03 I got my 1/2 down to just over 1:45 (not been there since either!) but didn't get my sub-4 due to the heat of the day

sub 4 is doable if you can get consistent 1:45 - 1:55 times
  • Options
    I should also say I went through FLM03 first half in 1:55 so was well chuffed but it all fell apart after Mile 20.....doh...
  • Options
    I have had a couple of months off but am getting back into running and have a half marathon in 9 weeks to aim at.

Aiming for around 1.45-1.50 so will know how I'm getting on after this....

It's hard after a few weeks off though isn't it.....that first few miles feel really tough!
  • Options
    Hi FB,

Don't think that just because I ran 1:55 in the 1/2 that I think I could run sub 4 hrs marathon at the moment. I was pretty much shag at the end, the last mile was probably the slowest and it really hurt I was so glad when the finish line appeared.

I doubt I could have run much more at that point, I was just wondering if that sort of pace for a 1/2 at this stage of training was ahead/behind or about right for a 4 hr marathon next april.

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    is about right BBB - my first half before FLM was in the previous October and I ran 1:53 so you are on about a par.

sounds like you may have gone off a bit quick if the last mile was that hard - it's always difficult to pace these long runs without a lot of experience, but keep at it and you'll get there. (says he who still makes the same mistake of going off too quick!!)
  • Options
    I think we can all identify with having to comeback after a lay-off. All that hard work down the drain.
    Isnt it a great feeling when that bit of elastic in your imagination stops pulling you back, and starts to pull you forward,though?!

I made the mistake once of getting a pb in the first half of FLM, and then completely bombing by mile 16. Summoning up the feelings and emotions of that day is a real motivation to not let it happen again.
  • Options

sorry - but little things...
  • Options
    FB - your right about going of quick, I did the first mile in about 9 mins, which considering the slow chug around the green at the start and all the people bustling about was v-quick.

The course itself was pretty hard with a fair few hills (one tough one at about mile 9-10), it was fairly hot as well.

I had aimed for running 9:15 miles but ended up running sub 9 miles (on average) all the way round, which was faster than I thought I could manage, I don't suppose my habit of powering up every hill helped my energy levels much either.

Also I have never run that distance before, most I have done previous was a 2hr run at slow pace (Heart rate 140-150) throught the race it was between 175-195.

I am definatly looking forward to running a marathon before FLM, would one in Dec/Jan be a good idea, with a time of 4:30-5:00 as a tester?

Bert Brown Bear

• Options
    Morning Guys, hows everyone today??
    I hate to be the bearer of doom but I was doing some calculations and basically to get sub 4 on the day one has to run 9 min miles this equates to 3.56.Now I don't know about you guys but I don't think 9 min miles are realistic for me at this present moment in time. And even with a hell of a lot of training it's gonna take some doing.

Stylish.
  • Options
    BBB - I would advise caution and suggest NO to a marathon pre FLM if you've never run one before....

a marathon takes a lot out of you and will take a good couple of weeks to recover from and many peeps lose the impetus after they do one........post marathon blues set in....so if your goal is FLM, stick with that - and don't be tempted.....

just keep building up your long distance stamina and mileage over winter and enter 2 or 3 1/2's in Jan, Feb or March (there aren't many 1/2's or marathons over winter anyway)...

the more time you spend on your feet running up to say 22 miles in training will help make a marathon in April so much easier - and stick with slow, comfortable runs - use the RW 4hr guide to help plan

I would also suggest your HR was too high for a first 1/2 as well which is why you flagged at the end
  • Options
    FB - your right about my heart rate being high, but it was the only way to run and get under 2 hours.

I have a 15 mile multi-terain in 2 weeks (Quicksand 15) and will definatly make sure my HR is lower than 175

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    Hey Bert,

Just read a Hal Higdon plan.

Its a 16 week one, which for the outset suggests you should be able to run a 1:50 half.
    ....so assuming you could take 4-5 minutes off your half time by Christmas, then you would be on target.....according to this!!

dan
  • Options
    Thanks everyone,

I just wanted to make sure that sub 4hrs was possible with that sort of 1/2 time at this stage of training and I wasn't deluding myself.

FB - Although my goal is to run sub 4hr FLM its only part of my aims, which include running in ultras, triathlons and completing a marathon in my medievil re-enactment kit (chainmail armour included) but these are v-long term goals

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    Hi Dan,

I just had a look at the Runners world Ultimate Marathon Schedual for sub 4:00 and it seems to imply that at the end of the training you should be able to run sub 4hr marathon and sub 1:50 for the 1/2 as apposed to a requirement for starting the training.

The main thing I have noticed about this schedual is the pace it is run at, slow, steady and easy seems to be the order of the day here. This is something my training lacks, most of my short runs are at a faster pace than they recomend 4miles in 33-35mins (they suggest 37-39) 8 miles in 70-75 (they suggest 74-80) this might well be the reason I feel pain after my runs.

Seems the leason is slow and steady.

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    slow and steady is the plan BBB, but mixed with some faster stuff as well.......most marathons for beginners are based on time on your feet rather than any speed......the speed will come.

temptation for many newbies is to run all distances at a similar speed which doesn't work
  • Options
    I have just been looking at the sub 4hr training guide which is 15 weeks long.

My question is if I start following that now I would be (hopefully)ready to run sub 4hrs by end of Dec/Jan which leaves 12+ weeks till FLM! So what would people suggest doing then?

Also why do so many people suggest loads of weeks of after the marathon (or any race) yet during training weeks you could run 19 miles one week folowed by 21 miles the next etc. Is it purely because your running at a faster pace? What if you just ran the marathon at same speed as say you normal training runs (providing they were long enough) could you then continue building miles? say for longer distances like 50K and 30Miles

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    bbb,you sound in good shape.the real idea is,as fb suggests, to spend lots of time on your feet-gradually lengthening your long runs until you can get to (well for me ) a couple of 20's.this winter my aspiration is to get in 2x20,3x 18 and 3x16 or so.if you go too fast too often too soon,you won't get to the start line,and-just to warn you-this is one of my boring mantras.the main point is to both enhance endurance,but also to 'practice' using your preferred drinks/gels/vests etc,believe me there will be lots of angst about that and you don't want to be trying things out on the day.and mentally you need to push towards where you might risk hitting the wall so you have some ability to either correct your pace or feeding/watering tactics,and then it won't happen in front of the urwfrc supporters at mudchute.basically i find that past about 18 or 19 miles,anything can happen to your head....

my 1/2 mara pb is 1.57 so i have some ground to cover,but hopefully the interim target would be to smash that with a 1.48 or so at say reading,with about 6 weeks to go.hopefully it won't be hailing stairrods like last year....

i like yasso 800's as a speedwork session,nice and straightforward to manage.theres lots about them in various places but try this
    yasso 800’s

physio now underway and i've been in the gym to get my adductors stretched-cross trainer or bike,no running yet....
  • Options
    bbb-time off Afterwards.i think the damage you do to yourself is much more severe after 26 than 20 or 18 regardless of speed...i reckon though i am no expert that the higdon idea of dropping back every 4 weeks isn't stupid to allow you recover better...eg 9 10 11 8 12 13 14 10 15 16 17 12 18 19 12 20 12 20 taper or something similar
  • Options
    and i'd use the extra time now to build up core strength and flexibility,get the base level of easy mileage up a bit and chill here....don't peak too soon,and you have time to build up slowly and thus both avoid injury or recover properly from it-which is why i'm not getting too worried yet despite a longish lay off.That will (yawn)get you to the start line in good shape...
  • Options
    Hello I have done one marathon in four hours thirty four in 2003 and now want to get a place running for GOSH for 2005-although i cant get their details, is anyone running for them. I would love to get below four hours, ideally three and a half, do you guys think this is feasible and if so how much should I be training a week do you think? Anyone know of any gd half marathons coming up near Kent? sorry too many qus!
    Kat
  • Options
    Knocking over an hour off your marathon time will be very tough, and depend on staying injury-free, the correct schedule, and umpteen other variants! But then, Tracy Morris did just that, and earned a GB place at the Olympics!

Setting yourself some targets that are not so ambitious, between now and April, will help you guage your chances of pulling it off, ie - equilavent half marathon time etc

Does East Sussex count in your search? Eastbourne in Feb, and Hastings in March
  • Options
    Email: communityevents@gosh.org
  • Options
    don't forget Paddock Wood in Kent in March
  • Options
    This thread caught my eye as my ultimate goal isa sub 4 hour marathon. I ran London in '93 and '94. both times, my knee blew up on 17 miles, it was agony. best I could do was 4hrs 40mins, I gave up and wnt back to football.
    Over the last couple of years I've got back to running. Torn hamstrings finished my football career. I entered the 2003 Fleet Half and got a PB of 1hr 45mins.
    Encouraged by this, I enterd the Windsor Half last September. Set a new PB of 1hr 39mins. I've kept this pace all year and on an 8 mile training run last night, set a new PB of 58min 30s. The secret to better speed is Hill Rep sessions.
    A triathlete friend told me about them. he told me that by doing constant long steady runs, I was training myself to run slowly. Hill reps really work. They also have the added bonus of being shorter and less time consuming. All those wishing to get fatser can easily do so by introducing these sessions. I'm well on course for a sub 4hr and have set a bonus target of 3hr 45m.

Give hill reps a go...Good Luck.
  • Options
    Hi Guys, how is everyone today and how's the running going. I did a shorter but faster run last night and ended up getting a stitch LOL. Then I did what one of the other runners on here does striding / jogging between lamp posts. It was a bit different to the usual stuff and I enjoyed it. Next run will be Sunday.

Stylish
  • Options
    wish me luck peeps

off to do the Vitruvian 1/2 ironman triathlon tomorrow - about 6hrs I guess - so if I am feeling OK after that, then FLM05 will be a doddle (not - probably!)
  • Options
    Good Luck

Bert Brown Bear

P.S full report on monday please