Options

Sub 4hr marathon,anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Hi everyone, read a few of the messages on this thread and thought I should join as it's my first FLM (first marathon) and hoping to go sub 4. Been out for a while due to shin splints but think I got it sorted now (thanks to a good podiatrist), just in time too as the road biking was getting a bit hard in the wind and rain (althought I still plan to commute throught the winter).
    Got a bond place with CLIC, already raised about £500 of the £1500 required, any advise would be welcome.
  • Options
    norm,glad to hear the boss is a fave.;i'm afriad that i do wear my walkman-brilliant machine btw,its the NW-MS70D -very small and lots of capacity-when i'm out and about-i don't really cross any roads though.
    my injury was a pulled groin muscle-the short adductor to be precise,which was a new one on me...i've had my fair share of 'newbie' stuff-i only started 2 years ago and would defo fall into the category of heavier runner at the mo-... like sore achilles and shin splints,but as the calf muscles toughened up they went away.also am now 40 so don't heal quite so quick as you youngsters.the other one to watch is overdoing speedwork if you're not properly warmed up,managed to give myself a thigh strain that way last autumn...
    just back from runners need with a lovely new pair of asics,so get ready to feel the earth shake as i hit the road....
  • Options
    valleyboy-best fundraising tip is to get a justgiving.com page and add the address to your email signature,that way you are asking everyone tyou email to support you without any intrusion.also get your company to do payroll giving-go to the charities aoid foundation website and look for details of the give as you earn sh=cheme.you will find that people find it easier to say yes out of gross income than net.it works even better if you have a generous employer-like mine ha ha who matches donations.that way for a £30 net hit i get giving power of £100.people who do this tend to be more generous cos they have the cash set aside abnd can't retreive it,and most of it isn't theirs.i tend to go round the office and get to my minimum in about 2 hours after sending the begging emails...
  • Options
    sorry doesn't seem to work
    try this

justgiving
  • Options
    I'm trying not to collect money for the FLM until the new year (think it's a bit soon), the £500 I've raise so far has been for other things, the best has been my current one which is to grow a tache for one month (original idea came from prostate cancer), got £300. I've also bought some football sctrach cards, 40 team, £1 a go and the winner gets £20 and I get £20, sold 5 already.
    Wish I had an employes like yours, don't think they'll do a matching scheme, worth a go though.
  • Options
    Hi,Lucrece. Hope your trainings going well. Re HRM - being a novice with it, I just set my aerobic/fat-burning limits as per instuctions [70-80% of maximum], and gave it a go. Spent the whole run over the limit [oh,well, early days!]. Better on the bike, but using advice from this website which said heart-rate should be average 10 beats per min.slower than when running, as body weight is being supported by the bike. Hooked on how good it is though, especially when recording recovery time.
    Already thinking of putting a more advanced model on my Christmas/birthday list!
  • Options
    Hi Valleyboy it's mt first marathon and I running for CLIC too. I too will wait until the next year to start my fund raising.

Stylish
  • Options
    Normski, just read your comments on your HRM, I use mine for running and biking and can send you a spreadsheet for working out your HR zones (note, it works out your working HR not percentage of max). Just type in your min and max HR and it calculates the zones from 50% to 100% in 5% intervals. I have too much time on my hands at work!!
    Anyone else want a copy then just post it on this forum.
  • Options
    <raises hand> i do, i do!!
  • Options
    I've just enabled my e-mail, so anyone who wants the excel file just send me a mail.
  • Options
    I know its quite selfish, but one of the deciding factors for me when it comes to choosing a charity to run for is what sort of reception they give at the finish.A litle bit of pampering to look forward to will make the last few miles that much more bearable. Plus, I want to know that my wife will have somewhere to wait/aim for.Our partners/family/friends deserve a little kindness too, after all the hours we are spending training,and away from them. Any reccomendations?
  • Options
    macmillan are fab,though i haven't managed to avail myself of their post race facilities people do love it...they are great supporters too!
  • Options
    norm, i just posted a thread about this!
  • Options
    kerboing

how are we all doing???

ran 16k last night in a leisurely (HR average of 139) 1:25 - nicely set up for cardiff 1/2 on Oct 3rd....
  • Options
    Hi FB,

I'm taking a few weeks off at the mo, did the Quicksand 15 on sunday and that was pretty hard going (longest I have run for and furthest distance) will be looking to start training when my leg pains have gone away.

But will do it slightly different when I start up again low miles for a few weeks then build it up slow again

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    Hi FB & BBB I did a long run of about 9 miles on Sunday and have done my right knee in. From what I have been reading here and the symptoms in might be ITBS. I don't know why this has happened as have only been increasing my mileage very gradually. I'm going to see a Podiatrist tomorrow but I think running will be out for a wee while.
    I am scheduled to do the Wimbledon 10 on 3.10.04 but not sure whether I will be fit to do it or whether I should do it so soon after injury even if I recover. What do you reckon.

Stylish.
  • Options
    sf - if you think it's ITBS go see a physio/sports therapist first........they will check you out and if they detect a gait problem will suggest a pod. a pod won't necessarily be able to detect a ITBS problem...

have you posted the problem/sysmptoms in Injury? usually get some good advice in there
  • Options
    FB- This pod deals with gait analysis, biomechanics and sports injuries so hopefully he will be able to sort it out. But thanks anyway.

How are you fealing after your Vitruvian. Fully recovered? Sounds as if you have.

Stylish.
  • Options
    yeh - fully fine ta - was OK the following day surprisingly, if a little stiff.......onwards to the full IM.....

good luck with the pod

and if you do have ITBS physio - get something to bite on - it freakin well hurts and makes you want to scream........
  • Options
    hi all.back in the gym and even pottered out for a gentle 3 miler the other day,considering i hadn't run in anger for 10 weeks i was happy that my ponderous shuffle turned out to be 9 1/2 min miling,so maybe there's hope yet.27 weeks to go or something ludicrous like that,very important to get to the start line-i'm doing a lot of stretching and strengthening stuff at the mo....
  • Options
    Got to get the Great south Run and a 10k the week after out the way then i'm gonna start on a couple of months strength program before starting my actual training on 1st Jan.... scrap that, maybe jan 2nd ;o)
  • Options
    Hi AP glad to see you're back out running again. 10 weeks is a bloody long time! Hope you have a smooth run from here on in. What sort of strength work do you do. Is it for the legs or generally. I do squats for my legs but not that many. How regularly should we be doing strength work?

Hi Jon same question to you re strength work.

Stylish
  • Options
    Hi,y'all.
    Not been out for a couple of days, due to sniffles, or is that 'man-flu'!!?
    Methinks my favourite time of year is here - the crunch of leaves underfoot, the ever-so-slight nip in the air that makes the lungs burn just a bit more than usual, the relentless ticking of the FLM clock!!

Same question re. strength work. At the moment, just doing two sessions at home per week using light weights, plus almost daily sit-ups/press-ups. Is that ok?
  • Options
    I would love to do sub 4 hr, last year I did it in 4hr 27mins. Ran for Macmillan, good after run sarnie, cuppa and leg massage by a big scottish lassie at the macmillan place.
    Just started training and would appreciate any tips to get fit enough to dip under the 4hr.
  • Options
    Lower body strength work for me consists of squats, lunges, leg press, leg curls & leg extentions

Upper body varies depending on my goals at the time.

I would say twice a week is sufficient for strength work IMO, I also think that upper body strength, especially shoulders is just as important as lower due to arms helping the natural momentum of the body.

Normski - Daily situps?! I would suggest every other day would be sufficient as muscles need a rest so they can grow. doing them everyday is probably un-neccessary IMO
  • Options
    Thanks, John. Will take your advice. Doing them every day also gives me a bit of a sore back.
    Welcome to the thread, LB. Stick with this thread,and you wont go far wrong! There's numerous schedules attached to this website. One of them is bound to suit you, and help you towards your target. As the new magazine is out, has anyone begun to think about some pre-FLM races ?
  • Options
    Norm - if your getting a sore back, maybe a good idea to do some back hyper extentions, the lower back muscles are very important in posture and core balance as well.
  • Options
    Is that the laying on your tummy, hands behind the ears exercise? The opposite of a sit-up! If so, will do [puff,pant, even as we speak!]