Sub 4hr marathon,anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Good luck Fat Budha.

Stylish
  • Options
    Only a half fb,

thought you would have the IM tatto in time for FLM ;P

Best of luck to you, braver man than me!
  • Options
    hi guys

all done and dusted - if you are interested there's a big Vitruvian thread in Tri with reports from most forumites who did it...

finished in 5:54 which I was chuffed with as was after a sub-6. the 1/2 was very tough at the end of the bike - did it in 2:08 which is a 2nd worst 1/2 for me but in context not bad. lots of wind on the bike/run which didn't help.

at the end vowed not to a full IM but after sleeping on it overnight I thought - bugger it - you only live once!!! I probably "raced" the V a bit too much to get the sub-6 but for a full it will be a case of less haste so as just to finish - aim will be a sub-14hr full.

now - onto FLM05............
  • Options
    well done FB

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    Well done FB. Sub 14hrs you must be mad ;0)

Stylish
  • Options
    mad - yep.......
  • Options
    what a great achievement,just to push yourself for that long.not worthy,not worthy....well done fb.

physio seems to be paying off and i'm now back into no impact work in the gym,lots of stretching.hopefully will be back on the road in a week or two,but feeling much more positive if slightly chubby
  • Options
    The dreaded calf injury has loomed again. I've always been susceptible to them, but they are damned frustrating all the same!
    Any advice on preventative measures/cures gratefully received. I stretch quite thoroughly before and after runs, and they always surface towards the end of a session.

Very well done,FB, you nutter!!
  • Options
    Hi Normski,

Have tight calfs too.

I find i have too stretch even when not running.

I try to stretch calfs/hammies and quads ever evening and morning. Not for a massive amount of time, maybe hold a stretch for 45 seconds...but it does help keep me loose. I really suffer from tight muscles.

Hope it doesn't affect your training too much

Dan
  • Options
    looks like you need sonme of those tight sock thingies as worn by paula....
  • Options
    Its funny you should mention that, but......I've suffered with poor circulation in my legs for ages, and the doc's gave me some 'support socks' to wear, which are similar to PR's. Any ideas where I can buy some that are a little less 'old granny'looking?
  • Options
    normski - have you been to see a physio about the calf problem?? if it is recurring it probably means you have a fundamental injury which needs sorting..........a physio should give you appropriate exercises.........maybe you need an orthotic to help??? just thoughts
  • Options
    This thread is becoming dormant so I thought I'd better post something to get it back to "visible" area. How is everyone? All injury free and putting in lots of miles I hope.I did a gentle 4 miles on Tuesday but now going to have a few days rest. Will run on Saturday and/or Sunday.

Stylish
  • Options
    did a 14k run home last night at an average HR of 150 - and did it in about 1:08 (my HRM stopped for a couple of mins for some peculiar reason so not entirely sure of the exact time) which is about my PB for that run.......nice cool evening for a run and no wind for a change..........first exercise since last Saturday.....

probably do a 20k or so at the weekend as want to be up to a comfy 30k pre-Xmas.........
  • Options
    Hi Stylish,

got the quicksand 15 on the weekend, then its a long rest for me (from running) as I need to take serious pain killers to be able to run at the mo. Nasty pain running all along both my legs (below the knee) might be shin splints but not sure.

Am looking to see a sports doctor if I can.

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    thanks, stylish. did 4.5 miles last night with the club (44 mins), but still have nagging ball of foot pain. also have started reading parker's book re: heart monitor training so will be stepping back a bit on intensity.

still need to post my application (i know!) and decide which charities to apply for. is everyone already in on a gold bond place? how behind am i?
  • Options
    hi guys.the thread does tend to go a bit dormant as we wait to see who's defo in and who's not.then a whole lot of new guys pitch up....
    noew getting excited about getting back to running.have just had my last physio/ultrasound session and have been told to go and get my gait analysed and some new shoes,so that's tomorrow.have a whole ne series of stretches and strengthening exercises to do,and am now starting to make resolutions as to how to get fit and fast without going straight back to injured.most important to get to the start line...eg am determined to improve core stability and flexibility,want to get more hills and speedwork into the mix,am planning to make long runs a monday night home from the office routine and so on.
  • Options
    lucrece,i am in the ballot but have also applied for a gb place with macmillan.i have done three marathons with them before,and luckily have managed to raise over £15k (in total),so i'm hoping they will say yes-would be gutted if they don't...put it this way i'm not going to defer getting back into good shape until i know for certain at the end of november...
  • Options
    alex, i just received mcmillan's application packet. have you already shared your fundraising techniques on the forum? on the application they ask for specific examples of how you plan to raise the money. i've never had to raise so much before.
  • Options
    Hi Guys. I got a Bond place a while ago because I wanted to make sure that I didn't do all the training for nothing.I'm running for CLIC (Cancer & Leukaemia in Children)but have to raise £1500. They were the first ones to offer me a place and I'm quite confident that I can raise the money.I'm not going to start my fund raising until the new year though but before that I'm going to list every tom dick and harry that I know so that I don't forget anyone to call on.I'm having a small problem with my left foot and am in two minds as to whether to get orthotics now or just see how it goes. There's a small bone under the ankle which hurts for a few days after a long run but usually ok in time for the next one. I'll see how it goes a little longer and then make a decision.

Stylish
  • Options
    Alex are these new problems/injuries that you've picked as having done 3 marathons I would have thought those would have been behind you.Any idea how you got them?

Stylish
  • Options
    Well,thats the 'feeling sorry for myself because Im injured' day out of the way!!

Right calf still very sore, but am determined to maintain fitness, and lose a bit of weight in preparation for FLM training.
    Picked up some useful HRM cross-training tips from this site.20 mile cycle ride today, staying in the 70-80% zone.Felt really good at the finish.

Quick survey - How many of you guys 'n' gals are definitely in, and how many are still hopeful/undecided?
  • Options
    You dont know me as i am a newbie but i am definetely in running for victa.Marathon no3 e.t.a sub 4
  • Options
    Well I'm in as long as I get in, if you get my drift :-)

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    I'm in if I get through the ballot, If not will definetly be running, just need to pick a charity.....

Will probably try for cancer research tho
  • Options
    waiting to hear on a GB place (should be OK as done it with them before and got a positive vibe mail from them yesterday) but also going for a ballot one as well........

personally, I'd rather run it just for myself than have to raise funds
  • Options
    First week in December can't come quick enough then? Welcome to the thread Funnelli. The journey towards April may be a long one, but it's worth it!!
    No ill effects from the bike, and the calf feels better. Here's hoping!
    Any of you guys wear personal stereos when you run?
    I used to, when Windsor Great Park was my stamping ground, but there's not enough traffic-free routes around here to wear one safely. Latest music, when I do wear one, is the new album from 'The Scissor Sisters'
    Punky/funk/disco vibes really get the legs going
  • Options
    love that album, normski, but don't wear a stereo outside for safety reasons. on the treadmill i do.
  • Options
    The only difficult thing is trying to stop your legs keeping up with the beat. First time I played it, nearly gave myself a coronary, playing it loud and heard that noise before the extra tracks came on!!
    What IS that? People screaming? Other faves
    [sad I know!] are AC/DC, Status Quo, Bruce Springsteen, and Delirious.
    How many albums WILL it take to complete FLM?!
  • Options
    norm, how are you doing with the heart monitor? i am dedicating a block of time tomorrow to figuring the thing out and doing the first recovery run parker recommends.