Options

Staying Healthy

Comments

• Options
    Hi Cath
    Can't believe the strife you're facing at the moment. Hang on to the good news when it comes and try to keep your level perspective, but its ok to be scared and nervous. Worrying if you weren't.
    Got another bust day tomorrow, but I'll be thinking of you.
    Keep going, you will win in the end.
  • Options
    Hiya Cath,
    Sorry to hear the news about your uncle.. and I can understand how that would make you feel. But look Cath, as has been said, you do not have the same as your Uncle - he was an old man - you are a young, vibrant, healthy woman - with so, so much to live for and to fight for. Of course, you're going to be scared - God, who wouldn't be?! But, you have everything on your side. For every horror story you hear about someone dying of this dreadful disease - you hear a 100 more fantastic stories of complete recovery and I'm sure everyone on this forum could name someone in their family or one of their friends who fought this and won! My mum for instance - 20 years cancer free now! Cath, you are going to beat this thing my love - the cancer is out of you now - it's gone - you do not have cancer anymore.. the chemo will get rid of any remaining cells that are lurking about and your young, fit body is the best weapon you have of fighting and winning this battle. You are going to have days like this, of course you are and that is fine Cath. Cry if you want to darlin, cry for the unfairness of the bloody situation, but then, after the tears have gone Cath - get back in your fantastic positive frame of mind and know that this will be over soon and life will be back to normal. There are ups and downs in life aren't there - this is your 'down' Cath and the only way you can go is UP! Be strong my friend, keep doing what you're doing and be kind to yourself. Whenever you need a friend - we're here, you just remember that missy! Take care sweetheart and get a good night sleep if you can.
    All my love - Michelle x
  • Options
    oh guys, thankyou so much.

Mr is home, Michelle he said the same as you - yes, it's the same name but not the same type and I know that, just when my Mum rang and said it - it was all I could think.

Anyway, the mr made dinner and I'm going to bed now because I'm shattered. See youall tomorrow.
  • Options
    Night-night Cath.. hope you have a lovely restful sleep. Sweet dreams xx.
    Michelle x
  • Options
    Hi Cath, I haven't been online much today, or yesterday as it's now a new today and I can't sleep. I have caught up with the latest postings and whilst I can't add anything new I wanted to add my name to the list of people who have already said what's on my mind. I hope you sleep well and feel rested in the morning (the proper one, not the one my body insists on me waking up to). Jeanette.
  • Options
    Hi Guys...

Well it's a new day and I've decided I'm going to put myself out of reach of the phone and email and PC for a couple of hours this morning. I'm going to drive to Liverpool to the gym. I'm going to use the pool and jacuzzi and I'm going to go in the gym for a little while. I promise I won't overdo things (I can't because I have to drive home again) but I think it might help. Then this afternoon I have another doggie walk planned and not much else really :) and for those wondering, I did sleep really well.

See you all later
  • Options
    Hi Cath, I'm really sorry to hear that your great-uncle died and I wanted to add my name to the others who are all thinking of you. I'm not a medic, but my husband works as an immunologist in cancer research and I know that cancer is only one name for hundreds of different types. Of course you're scared...who wouldn't be? But one of the reasons we have screening for breast cancer is because they CAN do something about it and it is very different from other types of cancer. As the others have said, you are also very young and healthy and basically all the good things are on your side.

It's okay to feel scared and to express it. I was beginning to get worried that you hadn't said you were scared in any of your previous posts!! But carrying on as normal will help you to deal with the fear...there is a lot of comfort in just doing the everyday stuff. And of course we are all here for you any time that you want to express your fear.

LOL RR
  • Options
    Morning Cath,
    Hope you have a lovely morning over the gym - and a nice bit of relaxation in the jacuzzi and pool. Take care!
    Love Michelle x
  • Options
    Cath,
    Sorry to hear about your uncle.

I just wanted to say that every day I wonder how you are, how you are feeling. It's quite amazing this little community we have here, of people that have never actually met. And it's not just me, my husband and family ask after you as well!

My mother had breast cancer in 1984, she had a mastectomy, and is still going strong!

Take care,
    Karen.
  • Options
    Cathers
    How's it going today?
  • Options
    Cath,

That's right - pamper yourself today a bit - you certainly deserve it.

Whenever you're having a lousy day /hour/ minute - remember that we're all rooting for you - and you can come to us for a moan.

Thinking of you,
    Jo. xx
  • Options
    Cath,
    have just read all 280+ messages and would just like to add, like so many others that my thoughts are with you. you've been so strong and brave in the face of what will be a long and hard journey..you're really an inspiration!
    Take care Cath,
    Love Susan
  • Options
    Hi Cath - I have caught up with this thread today. Hope you enjoyed the gym and didn't do too much. Hang on in there - you will get through this.

Best wishes
    Amanda
  • Options
    Hi Cath,
    I knew from other threads something was going on, but have only just found this one - sorry to be SO late - and I am totally stunned at how you are coping. I have sat and read through the whole thread and suddenly everything I have ever moaned about seems extremely petty. You are entitled to have bad days and scary times, don't hold it in, because your feelings need airing and that is what everyone is here for.
    I know what I've typed doesn't sound as eloquent as some, but what I mean is - go with how you feel - only you know what that is and only you can decide what you can face - if that is a walk with Oscar, great, if its a duvet day, thats great too. There are no rules here Cath, so you don't have to follow any.
    I'm stunned at your strength, and will be thinking of you.
    Much love, Liz XXX
  • Options
    Sorry - forgot to add that I too am 32, so I feel a certain affinity with you Cath. Mr Stumpy and I can't have children, which was hard to cope with and took us a couple of years to come to terms with, bearing in mind we had palnned our lives around it, but things change, and that is how this life-thing works.

By the way - just going bak to the short hair thing - I'm with V-rap - the less hair you have, the longer you can spend in bed in the morning - hoorah!

Hope you are all having a good day, and give yourselves all a tremendous pat on the back - who said that people don't care any more? The support here has restored my faith in us humans!
  • Options
    Hi Cath,

Just wanted to say hi again and was so glad to hear you had a better night's sleep. Hope the gym went okay and that you enjoyed the walk with Oscar. I don't think there's anything quite so good as taking your dog for a nice long walkies, letting them off the lead and just watching their excitement as they snuffle around at anything and everything. Hopefully you're having a better day today - look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Keep strong. Thinking of you.

DW
  • Options
    Hi Cath, sorry I haven't been around. Mike's uncle was admitted to hospital last night following a massive heart attack from which he is not expected to recover. This is hot on the heels of my own news and the fact that Mike's dad has only just been released from Liverpool General having collapsed after an asthma attack gave rise to an excess of alcohol consumption in our house last night!

I am really sorry to hear about your uncle and am not surprised that you were so upset by it. Cancer is a very scary word and the reality is even more scary. As everyone before me has said, your case is very different and you are still a young woman and you WILL conquer this disease. Your body is going to fight back and all your friends will support you through your recovery.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, especially your mum who grieves for her father and worries for her daughter.

Take care of yourself.

Love Susie
  • Options
    Susie, Cath
    My best wishes to you both
    We all have our problems, and ups and downs, but both of you are coping SO much better than I ever would
    I admire you both, wish i had the same mental strength--
    Love to you bothxxxx
  • Options
    Thanks Guys for all the messages, I really appreciate it and look what you guys did with your motivation and encouragement I not only had a good day today, I had a GREAT day today. Yep, I'm still sad over my Great-Uncle and I'm sad for my Mum but I'm fighting too and the living have to go on doing just that, living.

So I went to the gym. Remember how on 1st September (day before I went for surgery) I ran 5Km in 36 mins and 20 secs...? Well not only did I run 5Km today but I also knocked a full 50 seconds off of my time - I ran it in 35 mins and 30 secs!!! Also, I didn't push myself... all through it I was saying to myself "I'll just see how it goes" and "maybe a little longer" and before I knew it it was done! I also used the stepper for 10mins and I cycled 5Km and I did some leg weights and then I went in the pool and swam 25 lengths (only an 18m pool though) for the upper body stuff and I finish off at the gym by sitting in the "Spa Pool" for 20 mins aka Jacuzzi. Finally rounded the day off with a walk with Oscar around the park - which also equated to 2 miles.

I don't feel sleepy tired. I feel like physically I have done a work out but I feel much better for it. After the gym I felt so much more energised.

Redhead --- sorry to hear about your Father-in-law. There isn't a great deal I can say that will make things better. Just know I'm thinking about you.

Liz --- thanks for your messages. I was really moved about how you could tell me about the fertility thing. It is hard but I'm sure we'll get through it.
  • Options
    WOW Cath, thats great
    Keep it up girl xx
  • Options
    Thanks Ruth :) I feel more positive now about the chemo side effects. I felt strong and healthy today - something I hadn't felt for the last 2 and a half weeks. So hopefully my "strong and healthy" body will cope okay with what the docs decide to throw at it!!
  • Options
    Well done with your new 5K PB! Glad to hear that you've had a good day today.
    Take care,
    Hild
  • Options
    Goodness Cath, I've had to have a lie-down after reading what you've been up to today!! You go girl!! Absolutely fantastic that you've got all this energy and as for the PB - well, what can I say!! Well done!!! It just proves how amazing the human body is..and shows you how strong and fit you are Cath!! So glad today has been a good one for you! Take care.
    Lots of Love, Michelle x
  • Options
    Morning Cath,
    Haven't been around much the last couple of days just caught up with the thread this morning. Sorry to hear about your Great Uncle, glad you had such a good day yesterday though. You made me feel positively lazy, fantastic on the 5K time. But to do all that the a 2 miler with Oscar amazing. Hope you slept well after all exercise and fresh air.

Susie - sounds like your going through the mill just now too. Take Care

• Options
    Morning Cath
    Which smoothie is it today?
    You'll have to write a book of recipes, if its good enough for Nigel Slater--
  • Options
    Thata girl Cath, its marvellous what exercise does for you, the feel good factor when the hormones kick in after a really good workout. And yes what smoothie is it today, you've got me on them now, today its fresh mango, yoghurt and semi skimmed.
  • Options
    Redhead, it must seem that everything is against you at the moment, and why me, what have I done to deserve this goes thru your mind, just take each day as it comes and use your new found friends here on the Forums to have a good moan, or if you fancy a laugh, go have a look on UFRC, its always got something going on.
  • Options
    Morning Cath

Really pleased you had a good day yesterday. Was it your mum who said you'd have ups and downs ?!!! You have such powers of recovery - life knocks you back, you recoil and then bounce back with renewed vigour. Only way to do it I think but well done !

I've got quite a nice day today - at home, finishing off my presentation for Friday. I also sent the kids off to school with our au pair so I had an extra hour with which I cleaned up the kitchen, the piles of paper, toys, indefinable detritus were threatening to overwhelm us. Me and the devil housework - it's always a battle ! I'll try to keep up with you today - hope you have a good one.

Redhead - what can I say - it's all a bit grim really. Keep smiling and posting - we're thinking of you too you know. When's your op - do you have a date yet. Do let me know - you in my thoughts.
  • Options
    Hi Cath - What a day!Just goes to show how resilient you are. Just after a really bad day you can turn things around to such a high - you're amazing!

Redhead - I'm sorry to hear how tough things are for you too at the moment. I don't know what to say, other than keep posting - there's a lot of sensible advice and amazing support to be had here!
  • Options
    Morning all,

Logging onto this thread has become a bit of a ritual hasn't it. Cath, hope you're bright and breezy today and ready for more exercise.

Thanks to WW and DD for thinking of me - it's all a bit surreal at the moment, especially for my poor hubby, Mike, who doesn't seem to have any respite. My op is on Monday with the results a few days later when I'll find out if I have to have anything else done (so fingers and everything else will be crossed).

I've found these forums amazingly supportive during the past few weeks. It's quite strange how Cath found her lump at the same time I was referred for an abnormal cervical smear. At the time I just thought I'd have a bit of laser treatment and then that would be it. No such luck! I'm quite a private person and don't find it easy talking about things that frighten me. Thanks to Cath's openness and frankness I have found the strength to open up and it's really helped.

Thanks Cath and everyone who has sent me their good wishes.

Susie