Options

sub or about 4h30 hopefully

Comments

• Options

Hi allimage

Good Luck to everyone image

Birdy have a great time in Scotland image

I'm having a disasterous last few days after keeping well all through training image But I will be on that start line and still hoping for 10mm all the way despite the setbacks and weather forecast!!!!image

I leave in the morning 8.20am train image

Love to you all imagexxxxx

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

ooh this is all getting exciting now!

yes - i have my number in my sticky hands - was hard not to  blub as the lady handed it over - was soooo sure that i wouldn't make it to the start line only a few days ago (and yes - i did see that cruise ship! wow - better than our thomson flight to bournemouth!!!)

my training over the past couple of weeks has been v erratic and my diet not ideal, but there you go - it's going to be a scorcher now so i reckon anything close to 5 hours is ok?

on a more positive note - i won the competition to have my slogan on the lucozade banner over the road at 15 miles: Run steady. Run strong. Run Tall. think of me as you run under it!!! image

• Options

Gladrags, that's excellent. that will hopefully make me smile and then adjust myself!

I am in red start pen #8  My race number is 34363, wearing a apple green Asthma UK vest, and at this rate i will also be wearing a white FILAS cap. Have a chat if you spot me...

I took a variety of pace bands, but refused to take slower than 4.50, so i think i will just see how it goes......

A BIG good luck to everyone and thens for your advice and support on here over the months,and hopefully sometime between 2 and 3 pm on sunday it will all have been worh it!!! I am going to eat some more food and then go for an early night....

....can you believe my dad is expecting me to work on mygarden tomorrow mixing concrete all day??? no chance, feet up with a good book!

• Options

Right, my bag is finally packed and I'm off to London town on the 9am train.

I hope I'll be able to get some sleep - I'm bouncing off the walls at the moment after downing a bottle of Lucozade sport and a flapjack mid afternoon. Hopefully I'll have this much energy on Sunday!

Gladrags - well done! I'll be looking forward to seeing your banner - I'm trying to memorise the course so I've got things to look forward to!

GOOD LUCK to everybody.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Sorry I went awol for the last 2 days but there's been so much media stuff to do.  Yesterday I was up at 3am, in the taxi at 4am and at Tower Bridge with GMTV untiul 9:30 (with newspaper interviews etc inbetween!) then I had to go to work from 12pm until 6pm so was knackered last night!  I'm at work today and it's jolly busy 'cos it's such a nice day.

Thankfully my cold has improved somewhat with just a cough and a small bit of snottiness remaining image

TraceyB thanks for stopping by!

Gladrags, well done!  I shall try and run tall but as a smallish person that may not be easy!  Glad you made it back OK.

Birdypie, sorry I missed you.  Enjoy.

GillyMac, I'll try and remember to look for you and if I can't stop (depends how slow I am!) then I'll give a big wave image

To everyone running tomorrow, GOOD LUCK and I hope you realise your dreams, love Redhead xxx image

• Options
    Good luck everyone-hope to spot some of you on route
    looking forward to a nice refreshing pint of shandy at the end!!
  • Options

brilliant Gladrags.......that wil keep you going.........image

I will reading this page for the race reports soon...image

and remember ENJOY

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

aha! am first back!

4h40. 2h19 first half and 2h221 the second - so v even. v pleased with that after my very chaotic taper! image

saw icclejim and way too slow on the way round - nice to meet you both!

did try the chandos but was waaaayyyy too busy by the time i rocked up and i had no energy left to fight my way to the bar - going to have a bath and glass of wine here instead!

did anyone see my slogan at mile 15? that was quite emotional! and seeing everyone at the mile 17 stop. wow. what heros. had coke and a milky way and felt great! then stopped to sort shoe out and a spectator dared me to have a sip of his lager so i did - could this be the secret to even paced marathons?! image

hope everyone ok?

• Options

Well done Glagrags, fab time today and how great about the slogan image  Was at Chandos, bar was mobbed, sorry I missed you.

only managed to spot relaxed from this thread at mile 17, got nice big hug  image.  Managed to spot loads of our group tho.  Missed RH, didn't even spot her with her wool.

Hope everyone else did well and can't wait to hear race reports. image

Hope birdy's going well in Scotland

• Options

4.39 for me... pretty pleased with that, although splits (2.13 / 2.26) not very even.

Nice to be able to have a glass of wine now after a week of abstinence! 

• Options
    5.04 for me, not fussed about the time, i didnt walk a step and considering knee probs i had and not even a  twinge.... Fanstastic day
  • Options

Just over 5 for me too. Must of come across line at same time as you Sham.

Disappointed with my time. Was on for 4.30 up to mile 17 but hamstring and back were playing up big time so slowed right down and even walked some.  Not happy but atleast I finished!

Makes you wonder what your capable of without injury but I'll never know.

Well done to everybody.

• Options

Gladrags,meant to say, saw your banner, was brilliant, totally inspirational. At the time i had a chuckle, but when iwas struggling around 18m i though, 'Run Steady, Run Strong, Run Tall'.... so thank you !!!!!!!

Crouchy.... you got round, and the time is ok. you have something to improve on now.

• Options

4:57, just shy of my PB I think (also 4:57 in 1995!)

details tomorrow after a sleep!

W E L L  D O N E  E V E R Y O N E ! ! ! xx

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

shamplodder - great that you saw it! i was so over excited when it came into view - shouting to everyone around me that it was my slogan!!!

IJ - great time - sorry to have lost you at mile 3 - was enjoying our chat!

any news from birdy yet???

• Options

Hey dudes - broke my marathon virgninity yesterday ! Achilles hurt from 2 miles - ran first half in 2.16 but from from the pain i hit a wall at 14 miles and slowed right down (didn't stop) just flattened right foot as the pain in heel was unbearable - managed to finish at real plodder pace 3 hours for the 2nd half 5.16 in total.  Only walked for about 600 metres in between miles 23/24 in that tunnel.  Tried to stop at 18 but someone slapped me on the back and shouted "come on" so it just kept me going.  at 17 i was on the phone to my pal shoutin at him "don't ever fxxking do this - its HORRIBLE" - i did get a bit of confidence when i hit 20 - hit another wall at 22 - when i stopped at 23/24 took a couple of painkillers.  Saw my wife n kids along embankment and cried!

"The Jimbob" name on my running top worked a treat - it got A LOT of shouts and i was bantering a lot on the course with the runners and spectators. 

I did really enjoy it - i will do a marathon again but not London next year - maybe 2012 or Berlin in Sept 2011.  The training takes over your life and with a toddler and a baby it's a strain back home.  I'll stay in touch on the forum and look forward to reading your accounts of yesterday.

WELL BLOODY DONE EVERYONE - ITS AN UNNATURAL DISTANCE AND MY BODY IS BROKEN TODAY!

• Options
    gladrags - re: the slogan: run steady, run strong, run tall, I hadn't realised it was your creation... however it got into my head like a mantra.  I am sure it helped me get to the end
  • Options
    4.35!!! Sad not to get 4.30 but that'll do.... missed the RW support team and then ran out of steam at 3.50 when at 22 miles and then crawled home to make 4.35..........got on the BBC highlights show next to the pink tutu.......better do some work.........wearing my medal..........image
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

roundandround - oh thank you - that's great. I knoe the '3 miles and you're part of history' one at 23 miles really got me last year so that's great news if my 15 mile one helped you this year! image

clearly missed my vocation -should have been an advertising copy writer!!!

Mark -4h35? great job!

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning Superstar Runners and Supporters!

Well done to everyone for getting round in one piece, especially to those who achieved their target times (the revised-on-the-day-due-to-weather/injury targets!).

I'd worked out my pacing to come in around 5:50 as I had to get round in under 6 hours for the GWR. The crochet was much harder than I anticipated as the combination of very sweaty hands and a light breeze (which others probably didn't notice but which blew my wool around!) meant I had to concentrate really hard on every step and every stitch.

Nevertheless, I must have done something right as I've set a new Guinness World Record for the Longest Crochet Chain whilst running a marathon coming in at 5:43 something with a length of 77.4 metres. I was actually amazed I'd managed that much so was very pleased. I turned down another stint on This Morning as I think I've done enough for the moment and I didn't fancy getting up at 4am again.

Will someone please slap me if I ever suggest crochet and running again as it was much harder than the knitting?!!!!!!!!

What I was very pleased about was how my body responded to another marathon so close to the last one. When I crossed the finish line I didn't feel completely wrecked, just a bit sore and stiff in my lower back (from carrying the wool) and my right leg was a bit crampy again. Full report will be on my blog later.

Now I can rest up until the final marathon in my series which is the 3 Forts this Sunday. I'm really looking forward to it as it's up on the South Downs and there's some beautiful scenery. Also, it won't mash my legs as much as the road marathons even though it's rather hilly.

Gilly, I did look for you but didn't see many people at the RW support place.

Gladrags, I loved your slogan too and it actually made me focus as the crocheting was giving me all sorts of problems and I realised that even though it was difficult I was still running strong so you gave me a boost when I needed it. Thank you image

I've got updating stuff and emails to do this morning but will be heading out for a long walk this afternoon to stretch my leggies. I really believe in 'active recovery' and walking seems to work for me.

We are all STARS imageimageimage
  • Options

Woop woop, well done everyone imageimage you are all stars

Crouchy, Well done on your team, its hard when you are hurting so you should be proud.  What do you mean, you'll never know, we'll see you back here next year. 

Mark Street, well done pretty close to 4:30, so fab time for you

IJ well done on your time, very close to pb and a great comback race for you. 

Jim, well done, the atmosphere is great isn't it, everyone encouraging everyone else.  Well done on keep going when it got tough.

Roundandround well done, fab time.  Wouldn't worry too much about the splits.

Sham well done on running the whole way.

RH sorry I didn't see you, some of us had moved out to middle of road as some of the runners weren't coming into the stand.  Either that or I would have been refilling bags.  Well done another World Record imageimage  You are just fab.

Had great day on supporters thread and got a nice big red face for it.  Was fab thos. 

Think got everyone who has been on so far but if not apologies.  Everyone did fab and just think you are all marathon runners now image

• Options

HI Everyone...

Race went well yesterday, hit the halfway point at 2:20 which I was pleased with but then struggled around miles 17 - 19 and found myself walking for a minute or two to recover before I saw all my family and got a big push...

Finished in 4:57 - so off my target time but am definitely pleased, was a great atmoshere but I think my lack of experience in large races made it hard as I was not used to the dodging bottles etc!

Hope to do another one...but not sure which on or when!!

Well done everyone, and thanks for your support over the last  few months!!!

• Options
    Agreed dodging bottles and people was really hard work when you run on your own all the time as I do. Very congested for us slower runners and elbows and feet crashing into you meant you had to focus on your feet alot...... Well done to all again...........Redhead fantastic achievement well done and good luck for next week............
  • Options
    Hi all
    congrats all round-really pleased for everyone.

managed my first marathon in 4.45 (halfway at 2.17)-like so many of the others the crowd really got me through the last 6 miles especially when i wanted to give up and walk.

Gladrags-saw you up ahead of me at one point in the final miles but didn’t have the energy to catch-up/say hello but even just spotting a familiar name gave me a lift

Sore muscles today but it was worth it!

thanks for all the support and words of wisdom over the past few months
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

small1 - sorry not to have seen you -agree seeing a familiar name is a boost! glad you had a good one?

redhead - madster -well done! assume you're not crocheting/knitting round the 3 forts?

getting v stiff sitting at my desk - have day off tomorrow so will swim and stretch then - if i can still walk by then?!

quality street being passed around here - reckon i have earned a few!

• Options

Just under 5 hours for me which was a bit disappointing considering that I was aiming for around 4.25. Got to half way in around 2.11 but the wheels started to come off after Tower Bridge and it was just a case of run/walking for most of the second half. Still not sure what happened but I had completely run out of energy after 15 miles and had virtually nothing left in the tank. I can only conclude that I should have run the first half much slower due to the warm weather (well warmer than I have trained in).

It was my first and probably last London Marathon but I have to say that the crowds were amazing over the last 8 miles or so and the whole race was expectionally well organised from start to finish. I now understand why so many people want to run this race each year.

Well done to everybody on their achievements yesterday. 26 miles is an awefully long distance and we should all be proud of ourselves.

• Options
    4:21:55PB - 17 minutes faster than Edinburgh.
    Started in zone 7. Got soaked just before getting to the pen. Shivering with cold! Did not want to be there. Was in no mood for running! Sureal lining up. Met Simonw from Realbuzz & ran first 3 together then left her when she needed a pit-stop. Couldn't believe we had to walk for a few mins at several points because of congestion. Quite a slow start but kept telling myself I'd appreciate the slower start.
  • Options
    Spent first six miles trying to control my pace. However where a downhill opportunity arose I took it. Decided not to bother running around people or stepping up on the curb. Saw Beatrice. Got politely moved to one side by one of her bodyguards as I tried to say well done. Saw Natalie Imburglia with her personal trainer. She is very petite! Saw a man with pink fairy wings. Assumed he must have lied on his entry to avoid starting in the last pen. Realised later on the news he was Richard Branson. Er we'll let you off on that one then!
    Saw Redhead knitting away and said hello. Saw Way Too Slow who was running strictly at 10 min mile pace. Really though he'd drop me at 20 miles and fly passed. Took my first gel at 5 followed by water. Mile 9 I actually spotted my girlfriend. What are the chances of that?! Time seemed to pass really quickly. Tried to concentrate on the supporters, bands and other runners.
  • Options

Hi allimage

I had an amazing time yesterday even though I had a really bad journey!
    I was running well and on target for first 13/14miles then i got cramp in both my calves. I have never suffered with cramp so just thought once I had stretched it out I would be OK. How wrong was I.....!!!!
    To cut a long story short- the second half was a combination of cramp, stetch run. The cramp was always in both legs in the same place! Calves at first then alternating between calves and just above the knees! Very odd that it was always exactly the same place at the same time in both legs! I got emotional at mile 15 when I realised that this was it for the rest of the run. Needed some reassurance but couldn't contact anyone on phone!
    Getting to support group at 17 gave me a target. My support group were brill and I got massive hugs as I sobbed like a baby! Then Gilly saw me and I got another massive hug too! Thanks Gilly it was very much needed! That gave me renewed strength and got me to mile 22.
    Then I managed to get my daughter and friend on the phone. They talked me through another emotional sob!! I then saw them at about mile 24.5. More hugs and renewed stregth.
    Crossing that finish line was the best feeling ever! As I crossed the lady at the finish gave me another hug - amazing!!! After all that I finished in 4.45 (unofficial time) So am not even disappointed with the time image

Well done to you all, you are all amazing marathon runners!!!! imageimageimage

Redhead you really are a superstar! Love you. image

Birdy can't wait to hear from our other madwoman!!image

• Options
    Gel at mile ten with water. Kept pouring water over my head which was a godsend as it kept me from overheating. Was very careful not to take water at every stand to leave plenty for other runners. Always ran with a bottle taking small sips. Mile 12 and a sharp right into the wall of sound over London Bridge. Fantastic! Remembered what they said about not getting carried away and then dying around The Isle Of Dogs so kept pace down. There seemed to be a lot of downhill at this point. Kept my flow. Took another gel at 15. Looked out for Runners World Support Team but was almost past it when I saw it. Couldn't spot Hash from the Lucozade Supper Six so kept going. Started running in my own little bubble. Knew I could do 21 so told myself I couldn't wobble until then. Started feeling sore near Canary Wharf. 21 and then it's just the run home I kept telling myself. Saw Alison and her husband who had a massive stroke last year and is now in a wheelchair. Another miracle I found them! Gave them both a big sweaty hug. Made my day!
    21 reached. Two more miles. Make 23 and the you're allowed to suffer. 10 min mile pace. No that isn't good enough. Hurry up Russell. Focused on catching
    the runner ahead and then the next and the next.
    Will continue when I get off the train!