Options

sub or about 4h30 hopefully

Comments

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    OMG (((Relaxed))), you poor love but what a great time you managed despite all your problems. You must have been running really well to get round in that time. I can't count the number of times I cried on the way round - it's all part of the emotional roller-coaster. You did an amazing job, very well done xxx

Russell, you absolute star. What a cracking time. You should be really proud of yourself image

Now where is SCharm? I think Birdy up in Scotland for the week so we might not hear from her just yet.
  • Options

Ah home now!

Got to 23 and took a caffeinated Sis gel. Got a little hard so stopped looking at my watch and kept on plodding. Went through a tunnel and onto Embankment. Where was Big Ben? I'd like to stop now! All the runners seemed to slow down so I started weaving around. Finally turned right by Big Ben. 800m to go. (agh!). Tried to run a bit faster but nothing left. Turned again and could see the finish line. Semi sprint to the finish then realised I could stop running now. Fantastic!!!!!! Got my medal and a kiss although I had to ask for the latter. Best bit was my friend came up behind me in the goody bag queue. Yes!! I had beaten him! He felt dizzy so I got his drink out, wrapped his silver blanker around him and carried his bag for him and dropped him off at the reunion point. It was brilliant timing as Marie was there right on schedule to meet me. I must admit I did have a few crying moments along the course when I thought of my running friend who'd died all those years ago.

• Options

Russell Fab time, well done you.

Relaxed fab time despite all the probs with cramp. Glad I managed to catch you at Mile 17 for a nice big hug. Nam has some some emotional pics of you hugging Hashette.

Well done little legs, sdtood and Small1

• Options
    {{Relaxed}} Sounds like you had a rough run! Do you think you had enough electrolytes onboard? Fantastic time considering you had to stop for cramp!

A massive well done to everyone!!!! You are all amazing!!
  • Options

WELL DONE EVERYBODY! Fantastic results all round!

I didn't do as well as I'd hoped - 4.54.45. Seeing as it was my first marathon I'm not going to beat myself up about it though. image Everything was going pretty well at first - got to half way in 2.16. Then at about mile 15 my knee packed in - I was struggling to bend it and it felt like it was going to buckle underneath me every few steps. It was really frustrating as, apart from my knee, I felt pretty strong.

I did manage to overtake Richard Branson and Natalie Imbruglia, which was a highlight. I can't believe how tiny Natalie is (and how ridiculously gorgeous she still looked at mile 14)!

MS2 - I saw you at about mile 1.5 - you were a fair way in front of me and I couldn't catch up with you!

Gladrags - I saw you too I think (yellow vest?) - again too far ahead to say hello. I did spot your sign though and it really gave me a boost, so thanks for that!

Redhead - congratulations on another world record! You're amazing. I saw you in April's Runner's World - what a star!

I managed to spot my supporters twice around the course which was brilliant - getting a massive bear hug from my boyfriend at mile 20.5 was just fantastic!

A mile or so later in Blackfriars tunnel (possibly the most depressing point in the course!) I was wondering why on earth I decided to this. When I finally crossed the line I thought "Thanks goodness it's all over". Five minutes later - "I have to do this again and nail sub 4.30".

So who else will be entering the ballot next week!? I'm in! I'll have moved to Germany by then (am off on Saturday) so am wondering whether I might have more of a chance in the overseas ballot. Fingers crossed...

• Options

Hmmm. Have just seen there's the Venice marathon in October or Florence in November which aren't too far from my new home in Munich.

I need help!...

• Options
    Hi all, well done to you all - what an amazing day!! 4hrs 42 for me which am well chuffed with image legs are v.sore today but somehow I don't really mind image
  • Options
    Hi All

Well done to everyone, different times but the same effort and deterimation shown in each story from you all

My second time doing London, I know this sounds a tad over the top, but how can there be so much trouble and bad feeling in the world, when people are so encouraging and supportive of each other whether they are running or spectating?

I got round in 4.54, a tad gutted as I felt great up to mile 16 when I saw my family (2.13 halfway) but it got pretty tough into mile 18, but beat my last time of 5.04.
    Had to run walk from 20 miles, had a wonderful lady called Lara not tapped me on my shoulder at mile 25, and said we were going to run in together, I would not have got going again so quickly. Lara if you read this thank you ever so much.

Want to do another marathon later in the year, any favourite winter marathons you guys and girls have done?
    Going to do a few 10ks and check out my local running clubs, still a tad apprehensive of that for some reason..

Redhead, my mother in law could not comprehend what you have done over the years. We had a meal at Jamies Italian, she knits and was stunned when I mentioned what you have done in the past. Then when I told her what you were doing this year so was speechless (first time in a while so thanks!)
    What are you going to do next.....

Well done again to everyone
  • Options

Hi everyone am I the last back? ( via a few pubs ) I finished in 4:42. I had my right thigh problem from the start and then at mile 20 my right hip joined in. Weren't the crowds brilliant? I got offered a can of beer in the Isle of dogs but refused it. Thats not like me.

Snapdragnon, I stayed at the Strand Palace too. Wasn't it posh.

There's some great stories on here and some quite magnificent efforts by everyone.

Redhead, I told my Mum about what you're doing, she knits and thought it was unbelievable.

I look forward to reading more stories in the days ahead.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hey, great to hear some more stories.

RTC, it was your first marathon so a guaranteed pb! Hope to see you next year image

Big Al, in the road marathons, Abingdon in September is a favourite for many (I didn't like the route as it involved pavements, cars and traffic but if you're a lover of road marathons then it's a good bet as it's a fast course), Thanet Coastal marathon in September (same comments as before but with nice sea views), Beachy Head in October is my all time favourite trail marathon if you fancy an off-roader.

Well done on beating your last time. Sadly, it doesn't matter how well your training went if it doesn't all come together on the day (as I know form my performance at Abingdon last year). LMAO at your MIL story image

LP, great time. Take care of those sore legs.

My walk really helped to loosen things up but I expect I'll be suffering from DOMS tomorrow.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hi Trail Runner and welcome back! Fab time for you, especially carrying injuries. Well done.
  • Options

Fantastic stories everyone! we'll have to re-post them again next March as inspiration!

Basically my story's simple. Met Richard Branson and Tegla Loroupe on Saturday morning and got them to sign my number as good luck! Started in pen 7 which was far too far back and still a few wallies infront of me going too slow! Had to wee before the start line but then ran solidly for 17 miles with no real problems. I knew my left foot was hurting as it was wet from the early rain (and as it happens, massive blister under my little toe) but knee also hurt after loads of traffic jams while driving to Maidenhead on Saturday.

At 17 I had to stop for a cubicle and so lost 6 mins. It also meant my legs could cramp up. I managed to restart and run quite well to 20, but from then on had to walk 100 yards or so every mile, increasing to a few walks. The crowd kept me going and I used them to "whoop" me into running again several times!

Finally saw Mum at 385 YTG and legged it down The Mall for a perfect finish in 4:57:39... my PB was recorded in my "almanac" spreadsheet as 4:57:00 so I think I have to record this as a 2nd best. Best ever 30k though, so that helps!!!

Again, again, congrats everyone. Brilliant efforts and heroes abounding!

I like to run, it makes me smile. I think I'll run another mile...

• Options
    evening everyone. well done everyone on your fantastic efforts yesterday.

my race started off very well. managed to keep the pace i wanted through to about 11 mile. i was feeling good then turned the corner to tower bridge and started to feel a stitch coming on. by the time i got to the other side of the bridge i was in agony and had to stop and walk. tried several times to get going but found it a struggle. i carried on run/walking for the next couple of miles then managed to keep more of a run going then about 16 mile cramp struck in both my groins. i considered pulling out but gave myself a talking to and decided that while i could still walk i would finish. the rest of the race was spent shuffling/running till the cramp started to come on then walking.
    i crossed the line in 5hrs 23 min 39sec. along way off the time i'd hoped for.

going to have a couple of week off and try and figure out what went so wrong, but i'll be back as i know i've got a decent marathon in me somewhere.
  • Options

Really well done everyone - some fab stories -I know I'm not part of the usual crowd but still want to tell our tale -

- Jaime (my daughter) and I started at different points - the security meant it was impossible to sneak in, but we successfully met up at mile 3, thank goodness. She was looking brilliant and our first 12 miles had us closer to 4:45 than the sub 5 she was conservatively hoping for - all her training times had indicated she would do really well, too! We saw our loved ones, including our hubbies and her 16month old, who absolutely loved the whole thing, and gangs of friends which gave us such a boost, and we got to Tower  Bridge (which is fantastic, don't you agree) feeling fresh as daisies.

But between 15/16 Jaime started to get quieter and confessed she felt "poo". Whereas, everyone around was getting redder and redder, she was getting paler and started to really struggle. We walked a bit and with encouragement and lots of hugs at various points from family, we eventually ran down the Mall holding hands. Whisked her off to First Aid where they declared her to have become seriously salt depleted. After treatment, and feeling so much better, she confessed she only managed to run as she didn't want to collapse on TV. 

I can also tell you that having your baby to worry about completely takes your mind off any aches and pains you may be experiencing!!! But don't try it at home! All in all a very emotional experience- my little girl was so courageous!! Oh and we came in officially at 5:19 but neither of us even turned our garmins off as we had more important things to worry about. She has declared "never again" -I'd already entered 2010 but hope to Dublin in Oct.

Hope everyone really enjoyed the day and  well done, Redhead xxx

• Options
    P.S. RZC - do Florence! It's wonderful and so scenic.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

It's really emotional reading everyone's stories as they all contain elements of things that have happened to me during my marathons.

IJ, how fab to have your number signed by RichardB. I thought he was wonderful running his first marathon at 60! You did really well and I suspect that if you hadn't got the niggles you'd have beaten that pb.

Fiddy, sorry to hear you struggled with stitch. I know how horrid that can be as I used to suffer from it and I found that by sipping less water and not taking on much sports drink I could overcome it. The groin cramps could be related to that or possibly from your posture - do you lean forward perhaps? Try not to be too downhearted and just put it down to experience and plan another one.

Fran. Massive hugs to you and Jaime and very well done for getting such a good time when she was feeling so poorly.

All these stories just go to show what a massive achievement it is for any of us to complete a marathon. We are all stars!
  • Options

Wow. Just wow.  Fantastic stories everyone and big cingratulations to you all - whatever time you got.

I so enjoyed the day. The crowds were magnificent and spurred me on tremendously.   I had a great first half and felt really good with a 2:18 split.   Full of energy and really buzzing. However, the wheels came off at Mile 19 and I slowed to a crawl.  Having realised that sub-5 hours was unlikely, I set myself a new target of running every single step and not stopping.   I'm proud to have achieved that and crossed the line in 5 hours 12.

Ran one of the early miles with Mark S - good to meet you and glad you did so well !

Gladrags - sorry, missed your banner competely, but it's a great slogan.

I have now entered the priority application thing for next year... hopefully I'll be able to walk again by then !

• Options
    Hey snapdragon - what is the priority entrance??
  • Options
    Had a serious case of post marathon blues yesterday!! I guess it was coming back to normality after such a massive high!
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Well done Snapdragon. I've entered that as well!

LL, it's for people who've been rejected 4 times or more. They used to give automatic entry after 5 rejections but they are stopping it so to appease those of us who'd nearly attained the magic number they've created an extra ballot.

LP, the marathon blues are a real pain. I expect I shall get them after my marathon on Sunday. You just need to plan another one image
  • Options
    Redhead - 3 marathons in 3 weeks - you are mad. But actually, I feel I could join you!!! Bit optimistic probably but thinking of a possible ultra in the future. Next goal is that have my sights on a GFA but may not manage it until I'm 80!
  • Options

Little-Legs

The priority application thing was the 'early-chance-to-enter-the-ballot' that I got because I've already got 2 consecutive rejections.  My place this year was a Golden Bond for a local charity.    Perhaps the word priority is a bit misleading - hope that makes sense now

• Options

Congratulations to everyone who took part on Sunday. What a fantastic experience and what fantastic support!

Had a panic coming into the marathon as I was stranded in Egypt and only arrived back in the UK early hours Thursday.

Started well at planned MP then tweaked calf after mile three! Panicked for thirty seconds then decided to turn off ipod and Garmin and enjoy the experience at a slower pace and take in the atmosphere.

This was the perfect strategy and I managed to run the remaining 23 miles 385 yards to finish in 4hrs 44 minutes (2:17 half) so a pretty even run.

Got the medal and am now a marathon runner - how good is that!!

• Options

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE, WE DID IT!!! and it wasn't that hot - thank goodness!! 

Absolutely with those of you on the post marathon blues, I've not really celebrated at all...I burst into tears at the end as just felt so underwhelmed that it was over, delighted with my time 4 hours 13 minutes...definitely thinking about the next one, but probably won't be London.

I had to struggle past the Beatrice/Branson caterpillar, but otherwise it was OK...my Garmin did seem to be clocking up random distances, but I guess that's because I was weaving in and out of people - I was surprised (and panicked) to see people walking at 2 miles!

Thank you so much for advice and support during the arduous training months - I really do think they were the toughest thing in this whole event!

• Options

Brilliant effort to all. Snapdragon good to meet and run with you abit. Its very hard to find a running partner to stick with so sorry I didn't stay around too long, you did well.... I probably should have gone 15 seconds slower at the start as I passed the half abit quick. I had a chat with the catterpillar thingy, dont think it was Beatrice though.

At the start of pen 7 I was sat on the floor on a bin liner,, she sat down next to me and asked me to hold her bin bag up, I thought for her to take her leggings off. Oh know next thing I knew, she was having a Paula Radcliffe style pee in the pen behind the bin bag I was holding.......that got me some chuckles though most were shivering or too nervous at that point to say much......

I ran with the guy in yellow pants,from the start for about three miles, boy he got the ladies going.....Darth Vader and a guy in a pink dress. When walking at one point about mile 21 I saw an elderly or should I say mature lady (70s) plodding past me and that just got to me and spurred me on to get going again. Boy I looked cr.. on the BBC running through Canary Wharf with the guy in the pink dress who got interviewed. My posture had gone and I was stumbling along.....dreadful. 

FANTASTIC DAY OUT. The crowds screaming names out got to me at one point almost over whelming and then when I got on the tube to go to where I was saying back out of the center of London no one speaks or says anything. What sort of world is this we live in? Crazy? Everyone should run and love.

Is this post marathon madness or just common sense?

• Options
    4.28!!!!!  Yes oh yes - over 45 minutes faster than Edinburgh!!!!  Well chuffed and I was second home for the club, with two of those "fast" guys behind me - so got my sub 4.30 and beat the boys!  Last 2.5 miles really tough and no sprint finish but am very very happy.  Well done everyone.  We are all b******y amazing!
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

YAY Scharm! image

you soooo deserve that time - well done - hope you're recovering ok?

have had lovely day off here - stretch and gentle 15 minute cross training and then swim and sauna followed by lunch out - image

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Wow, SCharm that's fantastic! You must be absolutely over the moon and it just shows that all that hard work you put in has paid off. You need to celebrate big time image
  • Options
    Yaaaaaaay!!!imageimageimage Way to go Scharm! You so deserve that! Well done!!!imageimageimage
  • Options

Hello everyone,

Some great stories on this forum.  Thought I would share my own 'interesting' experience with you.  Apologies in advance for the length of this post. 

My first marathon and one I hoped to run under 4hr 30 based upon several sub 2hr halfs and by strictly following a 16 week training programme. 

Got to the halfway mark in 2hr 09m, and felt strong until the 19m mark - then it all went downhill!  Got cramp in my left hamstring, then right calf, then right hamstring and then left calf !!!  Then came the nausea and dizziness which meant I was only able to run / walk and shuffle the last few miles.  Got home in 4hr 58m.  

After going through the meet and greet area my legs packed up completely and I had to be rescued by a couple of St John's Ambulance guys who gave me a much needed calf massage.  Drama over or so I thought.   

Walking past Downing Street (so my other half could take some pics) I made my own contribution to the Election campaign by throwing my guts up down a drain much to the amusement of the armed police at the gates.  Not my finest moment. 

Complete mix of emotions - happy to finish but a bit downbeat at the same time as I put in a lot of effort to try and get under 4hr 30.  image

Been racking my brains to think why I faded so badly.  Got doubts on the quality of the training programme (Sam Murphy book).  Recommended just one 20m+ LSR which I know now was not enough.  Dehydration was also the other factor - despite drinking four mouthfuls of my own carb drink every 20 mins and then water / Luc Sport when this ran out. 

All in all an eventful day and one I shall remember for a long time.  I will be back to have another crack at the marathon