Options

Giving up the booze

Comments

• Options

Hi WM, glad to hear you had a lovely anniversary dinner.  Sounds like it's time to up the ante running wise.  How about getting a 1/2 marathon training schedule and starting on that, and including a bit of speed work as well, you'll notice the difference in a few weeks.

I've weighed myself and lost a couple of pounds but for all the wrong reasons image.

I so much want to be veggie or even vegan but I'm too lazy - it's easier to cook one meal than two.  I tend to be veggie/vegan in the day then just cook a meal for both of us in the evening.

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow too much, it'll be messy,  I've already said I'll drive hubby to the pub tonight so I can't drink and with a bit of willpower tomorrow I should be able to stay off it, just tell everyone I'm running on sunday - knowing our mates they won't notice I'm not drinking after about an hour!

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Sounds like you had a lovely anniversary WM and yes like SL says, sounds like a half might be on the cards.

Hope tomorrow isn't too bad SL

Oh yes, been ill before after having KFC a few times, always comes on in the middle of the night after having eaten it.  I do take a tablet each day to suppress excess stomache acid so it might be linked to that.

I'd love to be veggie too.  I am trying to cook more veg recipes.

• Options

Well if you actually like KFC then don't read the links below, because they will put you off for life.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/family-sues-kfc-over-food-poisoning-20090803-e74o.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/4121773.stm

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Kentucky-Fried-Chicken-Being-Prosecuted-After-Cockroaches-And-Mice-Found-In-London-Branch/Article/200910415421848?lpos=Business_Second_UK_News_Article_Teaser_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15421848_Kentucky_Fried_Chicken_Being_Prosecuted_After_Cockroaches_And_Mice_Found_In_London_Branch

Not that any of their fast food competitors have much to laugh about because their history is just as bad. Interestingly, my son is a chef and once told me that the only reason a certain well know fastfood chain put a gherkin in their burger is because if they didn't, there is so much sugar in it that trading standards would demand it was listed as a sweet.

Interestingly, since I've been veggie I've never had any food poisoning. OK - jumping down from my soap box now .... bon apetit.

D

• Options

mmmmm, tasty WM, I'll have a bargain bucket - NOT!!!!

We went to the chippy last night and hubby had southern fried chicken, i didn't tell him about that article image.  He seems fine today so no ill effects.

Horrible and grey out there this morning, just had a downpour and it's supposed to be worse tomorrow - looks like I'll be getting wet on my stagger!

I ended up having 4 glasses of wine last night but I'm really not planning on having any tonight - watching everyone get trollied around me should put me off (Ihope).  I really want to get that run in and get back on track.  I don't care if I end up walking most of it, I just need to get moving again and get the weight off.

I was looking up at the clouds last night and the shape I saw was like a runner holding the olympic torch - I decided it was a good omen egging me on image.

Have you recovered from your coated chicken hangover Cinders?

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Ewwww, certainly put me off chicken for a while, both my experience and those articles image

Yes totally fine now SL, really should have learnt my lesson by now, maybe I'll go and search a veggie cook book out for some ideas.

Same here re the plodding, really need, and want, to get back on track, hoping to get out later.  I've got Hellrunner in 2 weeks so rather nervous about it!

Love the cloud shape too image 

• Options

Morning all

Wet isnt it!

• Options

Morning all,

Wet isn't the word for it - and I have my long run today. I'm not looking forward to pushing out the miles in this wind and rain ... and it looks cold too. Hurry Spring - we miss you.

Well I'm booking in myself for my local half marathon in Stafford, just need to now sort out a couple of races prior to the even to build me up nicely. There's a 10K locally in Decemeber, so that's an "almost certain", but a 10-mile in February would be nice. I'll need to keep my eyes peeled.

Cinders, Hellrunner looks like a nightmare - you'll have a ball!! If I was 30 years older ..... I still wouldn't do it ... image .... you must be crazy!! lol Every good luck - you'll need it.

• Options

Wet is one word for the weather today, its blowing a right hoolie.  We're just about to have a small lunch then I want to go out for a plod later.   Be good preparation for Hellrunner I feel image

Go WM, when's the half mara?

What's everyone else up to today?

Going to see Jimmy Carr at Margate Winter Gardens tonight!

• Options

Well, I'm back from Barns Green in one piece & didn't quite get washed away! The weather was horrific.

I finished in around 2.28, which was what I expected. It was hilly, especially the last half. No mountains, just long, long inclines & they all seemed to go up with no downs!!!

Anyway, I'm very pleased with myself & might just have a curry tonight!

I'm off to Jamaica on Tuesday, to get married & turn 40! So, I won't be around for a couple of weeks. See you when I get back.

Keep on running! x

• Options

Well done DLM, weather wasn't very nice today, enjoy the curry later.

Have a fab time in Jamaica and all the best for your wedding day and your birthday too imageimage

• Options

Congratulations Mama on the 1/2mara and the birthday and wedding.  You'll have to post some piccys for us when you get back image.  Have a fantastic time in Jamaica - I'm not jealous at all image

I think I'm just going to call this the 'lost' weekend, hubby decided to try out our new local for the first time, it was quite nice in there, cosy and not clicky at all so i had a couple of glasses of wine and needless to say continued all night - it was a fun party though and everyone enjoyed themselves.

Obviously didn't get out for a run so will have to get back on track next week - don't know about lost weekend, mmore like the lost week!

What's your local 1/2 marathon WM, and when is it???

Enjoy Jimmy Carr  Cinders, his 'gaff' this week was blown out of proportion (as usual) but (for me) a bit of 'political INcorrectness' is always funny!.

Well done to everyone who didn't get sloshed last night and got out for a wet and windy run!

Dx

• Options

Cinders - tell us more about Hellrunner.   We went to see Jimmy Carr recently, and he was fab!

Well done Mama on your 1/2,  did they still use the field as the car park?  That would have been interesting getting out of that.

Good luck with the wedding and Jamaica, wow some birthday you will have.

Sorry about your 'lost' weekend SL, think you need to get your arse in gear, put the drink down altogether, and get those shoes on.  Wasnt too tough there was Iimage.  End of month has come and gone, you also need to enter Wokingham!

Anyone watch the NY marathon, grief those girls can shift it.  Wont say anymore in case your watching it later.

Well done WM for booking a race, gives you something to focus on!

• Options

Hi all - managed my long run and boy was it cold when I started!!!

The half is in stafford, Cinders.

Woooo hooo .. - Jamaica!!! Do you need anyone to give you away? If you pack me, Alsion and my kid in your bag we'll monitor and coach you on your running image

Have a ball!!

D

• Options

i'm doing hellrunner too cinders image

evening all image

• Options

Oooh just looked Hellrunner up - you crazy kids you!

• Options

RD, are you doing up north or down south?

HTF, yes very crazy, could be wet and whild!

Jimmy Carr was fantastic, so funny, had a lovely night out image

• Options

Morning folks

Thanks for the reminder HTF - Wokingham is now entered and paid for image.  Thanks for the 'tough love', it's what I need - constantly! 

Hellrunner is just the type of thing I'd go for (if I spent more time running and less swilling wine image), I love getting all muddy on a run- suppose it reminds me of being a kid.  I did an army obstacle course once, it was a works team challenge thing.  There was snow and ice on the ground when we started so blooming freezing, and everyone was covered in mud.  there was one bit where you had to go through a big pipe UNDER the river, I was too much of a wimp for that so just swam across but the rest was great fun!

Have a lovely Monday everyone.

Dx

• Options

Hi folks,

If all you guys doing Hellrunner had told me I would have put nails on the floor for you to run over and arranged for two dozen muscular Shaolin monks to be on the path to beat you with rattan canes as you passed image

I suppose afterwards you're all booked in for an ice bath and a beating with birch twigs. Lol

If you don't mind I'll stick to the conventional running - that's bad enough. As for the mud, well i don't mind as long as I can shower afterwards - the notion of travelling 100 miles with the stuff caked on me has certain non-attractions.

Been out today buying Alison some running clothes - she doesn't know yet, so hope she likes them. Certainly caused a bit of a reaction in the shop - especially as I am hardly a size 10 ... lololol.

D

• Options
    Lol WM, you weren't trying the clothes on were you????  Hope she likes them image
  • Options

I'd love to spend an hour inside your head WM, it works in a wierd but very funny way!  by the way, you need to change your photo - you're nearer to a size 10 now than in this piccy (but still don't try Alison's clothes on please).  Your Mrs is one lucky lady - I can't remember the last time hubby bought me anything that wasn't xmas or birthday - and then I usually have to tell him what to get or buy it myself and tell him what he's got me image.

Were you back to school today HTF?

Hi Cinders, did you go for a run today?

• Options

Yesimage, but now its only 4 days until the weekendimage

Think I will give you an 'excellent effort'  sticker SL for  entering Wokingham.  

• Options
    Does it have a smiley face on it image
  • Options

Oh yes, and smells of jelly beans................

• Options
  • Options
    Morning Cinders and everyone else - very wet, grey and windy here today and I must try to run this evening. Still, it's fine once you're out there!
  • Options

Morning Apps, very grey and windy here too today.

How are things with you?

• Options

Hi folks

Managed a 5-miler last night and avoided the rain. Not sure I'll be so lucky tonight as it looks pretty yucky out there.

It's a bit of a medical day today. I have to take my moggy to the vet as he has hurt his leg. Not sure what it is, but it's quite badly swollen and there's a nasty cut on it. It almost looks like there's an abcess underneath. Then once he's done I'm off to the doc to have a review of my meds. last time he saw me I was 17.5 stone and a couch potato, so I'm hoping he's going to cut down on my prescription. I really really want to be off all the pills, but that may be a bit of wishful thinking on my part. Still no harm in trying.

Going to start a bit of a weights programme tonight as I've gone a bit scrawny on top. I used to do martial arts years ago (judo, karate etc) as well as rugby and I've always been a muscular sort of guy but the running has made me lose all the flab and teh muscle underneath is far from toned. Still, I'm really looking forward to it. On Sunday I tried out the fitness ball for bench presses and fly presses and it really worked. As well as hitting my shoulders I could feel my core having to work as well.

Anyone else up to anything nice today?

D

• Options

How did you get on the vet and Dr WM?   Hope your puss is ok and maybe you got good news on your meds too?

• Options

Evening all

Been a busy one today.  I didn't have time to run this morning due to an early meeting and was dreading going out in that weather , I find it hard enough to get out after work at the best of times but amazingly I missed all the wind and rain and had a pleasant trot round the village streets with both doggies image.  I don't know exactly how far it was because I pressed the wrong button on my garmin trying to put the backlight on but it was about 2.5 miles - hardly a marathon but I thought it was sensible after a week off.  3 miles tomorrow night - I can't really leave the doggies at home as they need the exercise too but they do try very hard to trip me up and run round me in circles tying me up with thier leads image.

WM, hope both you and the moggy are ok, it would be great if you could reduce the meds solely due to your weight loss and renewed fitness.

I need to wait a while yet before I can ascertain the wobbliness of my muscle under the layer of blubber image.  It's going slowly but surely. 

Hi Apps and Cinders, did you both get out there today?

• Options
    Hi SL, didn't make it out today, felt very tired so when little man went to nursery I went back to bed for an hour, just felt I needed it.