Options

Focused Training - RW [Forum]

Comments

• Options
    Jane M - Sounds like you are looking really forward to your new training environment and upcoming marathon. In my view, the speedwork will not have a big impact in such a short amount of time. You are just about to taper and usually you should maintain at least a quality session until race day. For speedwork once again you need to put in 4-6 weeks with the combination of longer runs as well. Speedwork on it's own followed by a short recovery run is in my experience not so effective. In general, with three weeks to go I would not make any changes, rather stay positive and focussed until the next three weeks. You can still revisit training schedule after your marathon and try out a few other sessions.
  • Options
    Jane, I wonldn't worry about specific speedwork, mabye try a few faster 100m stides/burst's into a few of you steady runs & towards the end.
    This will get your legs moving faster without taking much out of them.
  • Options
    *Ooops* The 5k is not my idea :) I think I read that on Sandra's Khannouchi's training column regarding runners finding it difficult to get the right entry point and what you can do about it.
  • Options
    Thanks BT and URR. I will try a few bursts at the end of a shorter steady run this week, maybe practise my sprint finish for my marathon :)
  • Options
    URR, schedules have to start somewhere though & at least you get something to work from :-)
    Bruce Tulloch suggests time trials, occasionally,.
    Something I've always meant to do & will post-marathon [good stating point!]
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Very interesting thread, which only serves to confirm my suspicions that my training is somewhat structureless. In part this is because I've hardly raced at all this year (only FLM in April) due to various other constraints such as moving house and organising my wedding, which means I haven't had a goal to focus my training.

After FLM my vague plan was to build my mileage back up to a steady 30 miles per week on 4 runs per week, and I've pretty much succeeded in doing this consistently. Although I realise this is a very modest total compared with many on here, in comparison with the average 15-20 miles per week I was doing this time last year, it's a reasonable improvement. On only 4 runs a week it's quite difficult to increase much more than this without either taking up a lot of time during the week (which I don't have) or increasing the long run quite significantly, which I don't really want to do unless I'm marathon training. I should note that beyond the 4 runs, there's no real structure - one of them is always a long run and the other three vary from 5-8 miles but there's not a lot of pace differentiation between any of them (I know, I know ...!)

My thought was to try a half-marathon on this level of training just to see if I've improved on this alone. With the extra weekly mileage plus the fitness I gained from marathon training I would hope for a decent improvement on my 1:51 PB. Beyond that, I'm at a bit of a loss. I've applied for FLM 2005 but training could be hampered by the fact I'm going on honeymoon for a month in December/January and my fiance has requested that I don't take my running shoes(although if I build up a bit of a base now it shouldn't be too hard to make up the fitness come late January when I'm back) and had a vague notion to do a few 10Ks over the autumn/winter (Regents Park 10K series).

I also plan to try to increase to 5 runs a week on my current mileage to enable me to get used to the extra run (I very rarely run on 3 consecutive days which this would demand) and try to build my mileage from there as I do feel that higher mileage is the way forward, especially as I tend towards the longer rather than the shorter race distances.

However I would be most grateful for any thoughts on my current training and the best way forward. Current training looks pretty much like the following:

Monday - Rest.
    Tuesday - 5-6 miles.
    Wednesday - 6-8 miles.
    Thursday - Rest.
    Friday - 6-7 miles.
    Saturday - Rest.
    Sunday - 10-14 miles (when not mara training).
  • Options
    BT - Must admit, haven't heard of Bruce Tulloh. Is he an ol' time running hero? Is there a book available, I can read? :)
  • Options
    Thanks URR for your time and ideas, and thanks BT as well.

Certainly some interesting training ideas there, and I am now going to work up some sort of training programme for the next few months.

5k time trial is a good idea and will hurt :-) ... but will be an excellent benchmark!

Luckily, there are only a few days when the weather is too bad to run - snow is fine, it's when it turns to ice we have problems! But I plan to join a gym for the winter so that I can use a treaddie there.

What HR would you suggest doing the long and recovery runs at? At the moment I rarely do anything below 75%, including the long runs ... have a feeling that this might be quite destructive ... or not?

Thanks again, LizzyB
  • Options
    Jane - be careful at the gym induction tomorrow, make sure you don't do anything which you are not 100% confident about - a shoulder or back strain would not be good this close to the marathon.

Minks - just a thought, if you don't get into FLM why not set yourelf a spring target of something completely offbeat but achievable ... such as the Box Hill Fell race in Surrey (usually early March) ... 7.5 miles w/ 1800 feet of ascent. You could then structure your winter training round that (lots of hillwork!) and the training would only help you in the 10k series
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, not a bad idea, Lizzy - although I admit I'm pretty keen to get another marathon under my belt. What with getting married next month, and the ever-louder ticking of my biological clock, I'd like to get in at least one more marathon before I have to hang up my running shoes (in any competitive sense, anyway) for a little while.
  • Options
    Minks - I've entered the FLM as well, but I expect I won't get in. If not I'll definately be doing another marathon at around the same time - at the moment the early favourite is the Duchy marathon in Cornwall, simply because its the first marathon of the year.

Just a thought.

Calcium and magnesium supplements bought today, along with vitamin C and garlic tablets I suddenly feel like a bit of a pill popper. I might have to read up on diets a bit more.

Also rather tired and sleepy today, I guess yesterdays 13miler took quite a bit out of me.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Julz, I don't expect to get into FLM either, but one has to try! I'm doing the Lake Vyrnwy half in mid-Wales at the weekend - there's a full marathon there in June which might be a possibility in the event of not getting into FLM. Failing that Stratford is always popular and around the same time, or I might venture to Paris ...
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    just lurking...
  • Options
    Thanks Lizzy. I will be careful at the gym.
  • Options
    BT dropped you a quick mail!
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    URR, Bruce Tulloh was a class act in his day (1960s) with world class performances from 1 mile up to 6 miles. He has written several books on coaching and also coached Richard Neurekar.

If you want a feel for his approach download the RW schedules for 10k and 10M -there written by him. He like, Horwill, puts a lot of emphasis on faster running than LSD, But he's no where as dogmatic as Horwill
  • Options
    Can you recommend any specific title by Bruce Tulloh? Can't identify myself with those I found!

"The Complete Jogger"
    "Natural Fitness"
    "Running is Easy"
    "Running over Fourty"
    "Teenager Runner"

Those titles look more like general introductions(?).
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    URR, Ive got a copy of "Running over 40"(well, what did you expect!) Despite it's title, It is a general book on training ranging from beginers to intermediate. As I said, the style of his training schedules, is as those you can download on the runners world site. My copy is currently in the post on its way to Sodahead for him to assess. If you would like to see it I can arrange for Sodahead to forward it on to you, after he's finished with it.
  • Options
    Thanks BT - all reads nice and clear now!
  • Options
    I reckon they might be a bit basic for you URR.
    As only books by the man himself that i've read
    Running is Easy and Running your first marathon seem to have beginners in mind.
  • Options
    Speedie, I've replied.

LizzyB,

These are the Heart rate intensities for standard workout's that I've started to use.
    I'm also interested in anybody else's view's?

94-98% of max heart rate = VO2 Max
    80-90% of max heart rate = Lactate Threshold
    73-83% of max heart rate = Long run
    <75% of max heart rate = recovery

Do we get to see this schedule of yours???

I start with my goal race & work backwards, my marathon schedule working like this,

9 weeks endurance
    5 weeks lactate threshold + endurance
    4 weeks race preparation
    3 weeks taper & race
    17th October Marathon day

21 weeks in total, all for one race, but you could peak for several 10K like Tom said before :-)
  • Options
    URR, I agree with Pammie, great books for beginners.
  • Options
    BT I take it you work on MHR which is what I have always done, where alot seem to work on WHR!

I put this together some time back:

50% - 60% 97-117 bpm - warm up
    61% - 72% 119-140 bpm - Esay runs
    73% - 87% 142-170 bpm - Long steady runs
    88% - 100% 172-195 bpm - Racing/speedwork

But when I done this years back I used to for all my cardio running, cycling, swimming, rowing but above indicates running!
  • Options
    I`m baffled by the whole carbo-loading business.

I`ve read in various books (inlcuding Noakes) that depletion prior to loading is not necessary. However, quite a few people seem to go through the depletion process. Why ?

I`m running Berlin in a couple of weeks so my interest is not just academic.

Also, on a more general note, does anyone feel that a 3 week taper is too long ? After 2 weeks of reducing exercise my muscles feel like mush - or I think they feel like mush which may not be the same thing.

Any views ?
  • Options
    Cheers, Tom.

*Ohhhh*, I thought I would get some good old school running material and nutrition advise along the lines orange juice with three spoons of salt!
  • Options
    I need every bit of "old running" advice I can get my hands on :)

Some very interesting reading on the thread - keep it coming.
  • Options
    Speeide, yes max

Beetle, the depletion diet is a Ron Hill idea.
    If you want to feel weak, tired & really not feel like doing the marathon then yes do the depletion diet.
    If not eat normally & carb-load in the three days beforehand.
    Like me come Amsterdam :-)

The feeling in your legs is because you eased off recoverd & ready to give the race a good go :-}
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I'm feeling jittery too as I did my last long run 4 weeks before the marathon. BUT Mike G says I'll be fine so I just have to get used to this reduced training. I think it's the hardest part when you start to cut back on the miles after months of doing lots!
  • Options
    Myself when using a HRM have always gone on whr,
    mainly because that's the way everyone seemed to do it (know otherwise now)
    thats how i've seen it in magazines and books.

Just a quick calculation. 70% whr for me is 145
    But 70% of max is 130, bit of a difference

Is there any reason why someone goes one way or t'other
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I've always used whr too because it allows me to run slightly faster. Am I right or wrong?