Options

PROVISIONAL Helphire Bath Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Rogerdodge-If i were you id have a complete rest till say thursday and if it feels any better then try a 3-4 miler to see if it holds out then decide if your up for it.

We dont want you drinking the pub dry now do we.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hope it feels ok soon RD!
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    A quick injury update for you, It still hurts and now I am in my fifth week of no running and feeling rather low.
  • Options
    I've just plugged my shiny 5k pb into the pace calculator to get a prediction of 1:27. or 6:38 m/m. Darnit. That means my 5k pb is slow. I'll still target 1:25 to 1:26 for BAth.

Come on Wrinty. Get better. You too RD.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    My predicted half time by the calculator is 1:26:14 blisters, but I'm not sure if I'm going to target it or just go with how I feel, which is what I normally do.

Best wishes Wrinty for that injury to heal soon!
  • Options
    My marathon pb gives me a 1:38:54 half so i should be ok.My 10k times gives me 1:24:16 so thats my target.

Wrinty-Keep that chin up kid.Remember theres more important things in life than running(LLL ducks for cover)and you still have your health and love of your family.What on earth am i going on about!
  • Options
    Are you sure that you aren't "gravitationally unstable" LLL?
  • Options
    Went out for six miles today with the middle bit at half marathon speed. Made a note of where I ran in ten minutes and when I later clocked it in the car it was a tiny bit over one mile. So maybe I will be able to get under 2.15:-)

Does anyone please know the name of the pub at the finish?!
  • Options
    I am in the same place twice.LOL
    Got a sore knee yesterday but was 6 miles out short rout home 4 slow miles try not to much today and hope all is well in the week. long run on monday?
  • Options
    Morning folks - went out for a few lemonades and a meal last night - when I got home I had virtually no pain at all. At the time I put it down to the effects of strong drink, but am pleased to report it is much improved this morning :-)
    I might try a gentle run on Tuesday ? Whaddya reckon, coach?
    RD
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Glad the injury feels better RD. That must have been some lemonade:o)
  • Options
    R.D...
    I'm just back from a company aniversary do at Coombe Lodge, Lemonade there wasn't as good as your stuff, My Knee still hurts.
    I reckon you should still rest up 'til Weds/Thurs. like LLL says' and just a small shakedown run at a sloooooooooow pace just to see how it is. If you're confident that it is better plenty of gentle stretching - don't go at it like a train or you will undo the scar tissue! The point is to make the scar tissue more flexible where it joins the rest of your calf so as not to tighten under the stress of running and cause you pain. Remember pain is the way your body tells you NOT to do something!

Wrinty...
    Are you keeping yourself fit even though you're not running at the mo. When you're injury gets better you can build on your core fitness and before you know it you'll be back on the tarmac...

5 mile medium tonight with Swim coach and Ultra Fit Mate. I think that the lemonade(s)may still be play a part in this. (I can always blame it on my knee)!

Stace.
  • Options
    Stace - thanks for confirming what my head was telling me (which is not necessarily what my heart would have had me do tomorrow) I plan to go to the gym for the next few days perhaps do some rowing or just weights to keep everything going - see how it is on Weds/Thursday.

Small world, my niece - no, honest she is my niece ;-) works at Coombe Lodge. I've never been but Mrs RD and family went for Mothers Day lunch there last week - whilst I was doing the "R" thing in Reading :-))

Have a good run matey! I didn't realise your Ultra Fit Mate was a girly ;-)
    RD
  • Options
    Birdy Pie
    Blisters (2107)(1:25)
    BD(formerly known as blond dog, husband of the lovely BB of Kitchen fame)945 1.40
    Bodjit
    Chaos (1:21 if racing, 1:50 if pacing...)
    Chynah (sub 2.15)
    Essy (1:58)
    Glugg (Race No.2822)(hoping to do 85mins)
    Grubbysoles (2:05)
    Graham "Legs in threads" - before it starts getting dark.
    Head Gone (Hope to finish this year)(1540) 2:30
    Hilly
    iPlod (2880) 1:50 - 1:55
    Josie Jump (sub 2hr attempt)
    Josie's big little bro (first half)
    Josie's little little bro (first half)
    LLL-(1:24)
    Mitten - (1:50:00ish!!)
    Monkfish (first half)
    Mr J (first half)
    Musketeer (4173)
    Norma (2:05)
    Oft (89:59)
    Pablo Honey (1st sub 1:55 attempt)
    Pompey Jon (1:59.59)
    Pompey Jon's Bruv (1:59.58 probably)
    Powelly (1:42)
    Raggy (sub 1.45)
    Ratcatcher (1:30)
    Rocks 2093 (1:25)
    RogerDodge 4222 (2:30-2:40)
    Skipp (first half)
    Snail (2:20-2:30)
    Spans
    Stace. 1033 (sub 1:50) I hope!
    Tea & Toast Man (1:42-1:45)
    The Doc (Race No 516)
    The Ed (Race No 1077)
    Tixylix (Race No. 1495)
    Toucan
    Zoom (AKA Zzz) (Race no.2020)(first half)(2:10-2:25)
    WhichWayNow 1:30ish I hope!
    alan p 1:24
    alan e 1:29, I hope, but expect 1:31...
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    Stace, Thanks for asking, but one of the plus points about being injured for what seems like an eternity (well five weeks actually) is that I am enjoying four or five beers a night, second helpings of pudding and burning the midnight oil without worrying too much about what effect it will have on my training or racing.

As soon as my toe starts to show some sign of getting better then I might start thinking about regaining fitness, but for now I am making the best of a bad job.

Regards Wrinty
  • Options
    So you're not worried about the weight gain then LOL! We'll be able to catch you.

If we tie your laces together.

Question for Hilly.
    You've got plenty of 5k races under your belt. What's the pb? Don't be shy, I am NOT faster than you, especially if you take male gene syndrome into account (30 sec/mile). I'm also prepared mentally to see you cruising past me on Gt Pulteney St.
    I just want to find out if I tried hard enough on Saturday.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    blisers, I've only done a few 5k races (4) my pb done during Cardiff training is 20mins! So I've a long way to get to your 18!!
  • Options
    One week to go, which pub are we going to?
  • Options
    19 minutes less a second or four.

I also reckon that with some more focussed training at that distance there was a minute to gain.

My recent track sessions haven't included the mile reps. w/u, 3x mile reps, w/d. Do these sessions say twice a week with a reducing recovery time each try. And do them on the track, so it's level.

Mind you Mike's after 8x mile reps isn't he?
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    What weight gain is that then Blisters, one of my other injury techniques is to remove the bathroom scales :-)
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    blisters, Mike hasn't mentioned mile reps YET:O) On my last training for Cardiff I was up to 6 with 90 sec recovery-they hurt!
  • Options
    Ratcatcher - you have mail.
  • Options
    Did 92:47 for the Forest of Dean Half yesterday ("what better way to prepare for a HM" !). According to my race predictor tables (Blisters, LLL, Hilly etc) this gives me a target time of ~92:47, give or take q:~(

Well at least I like my auspicous "1966" race no. I just hope there'e a Russian linesman...

Birdy Pie
    BD(formerly known as blond dog, husband of the lovely BB of Kitchen fame)945 1.40
    Bodjit
    Chynah (sub 2.15)
    Hilly
    Monkfish (first half)
    Mr J (first half)
    Musketeer (4173)
    Oft 1966 (89:59)
    Raggy (sub 1.45)
    Skipp (first half)
    Spans
    Tea & Toast Man (1:42-1:45)
    The Doc (Race No 516)
    The Ed (Race No 1077)
    Tixylix (Race No. 1495)
    Toucan
  • Options
    Hello all - I'm still on for doing this one. And (foolishly?) have decided to try and beat my Reading time, so I've revised the list. Whattheheck, eh?

Birdy Pie
    Bodjit
    Chynah (sub 2.15)
    Hilly
    Monkfish (first half)
    Mr J (first half)
    Musketeer (4173)
    Oft 1966 (89:59)
    Raggy (sub 1.45)
    Skipp (first half)
    Spans
    Tea & Toast Man (1:35-1:37)
    The Doc (Race No 516)
    The Ed (Race No 1077)
    Tixylix (Race No. 1495)
    Toucan
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I'm not putting a time, what will be will be:o)

Well done oft!
  • Options
    Wise words Hilly !

I'd like to claim I share such karma - the simple truth is though I'll be sulking big time (and throwing a strop) this time next week if I don't go under 90 mins. This is the biggy for me

Lots of worries (other than my lack of ability + fitness !) eg

- pacing (anyone fancy a sub 90 min group ?)
    - weather (WIND !)
    - misc niggles
    - picking up a bug...

Regarding the latter, am especially worried about something called 'Grand-Slam Feaver' which is currently sweeping Wales.

Echinacea ??
  • Options
    (I'll get my coat...)
  • Options
    hilly's time will be 1:32:45 :-)
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    Breaking News - I will be taking part in the Bath Half Marathon on Sunday, albeit as a Start/Finish marshall. The RD was quick to sieze upon my injury misfortune and has contacted me with a starting line opportunity - see you on Sunday, i'll be the one in the yellow flourescent jacket, looking slightly portly and walking with a limp :-)
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Karma gone, I'll be most upset RD if it is as that will be slower than I did half in during my 20 mile race!:o)

oft, you'll be fine, you wait and see. Every race I've read about that you've reported on you've done well and always seem to surprise yourself. I'd like to say I'll join the pace group, but I don't run well in a group. I tend to always have to be leading it or in 'no man's land'.