Options

Lets talk Football

Comments

• Options
    first chance to get on line since the match yesterdya, so apologies if this has already been said either here or elsewhere.

Martin Tyler said before the match yesterday that Riley was selected because he was considerd by the FA to be our top ref (Hoot!)

Tyler also happened to mention later on that Riley has now awarded Utd eight penalties in the last eight matches he has refereed there.

...nothing much more to say really.
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    So it takes something like this for people to realise that the rich clubs get favourable treatment from refs? Of course, Arsenal have never had that and pens always used to be given to oppositions at Anfield.
  • Options
    Really disappointed the record went yesterday Snoop. I was sure it was going to be Palace that ended it in a couple of weeks.

You've got to admit that it looked like a penalty from the angle the ref saw it. I think every ref would have given it and the next one should have been as well.
  • Options
    Unless it was the away side at OT Richard. Then its never a penalty.

• Options
    Maybe, maybe not GT. I think that is where the crowd becomes the twelfth player. Create an intimidating enough atmosphere and the ref is reluctant to give decisions against you. As Gavo said the Kop used to do it, and OT yesterday was rocking. I'd rather see that then most of the games you see in the Premiership these days where the crowd hardly sings the whole game.
  • Options
    The ref had no option. Yes it was a dive, but at that angle it was always going to be given. Ronaldo was hacked down by Cole a few minutes later and they didn't get the penalty for that.

Things like this always happen but they more or less balance out. Pires does more than his fair share of diving, and i'm sad to say so does one of our new lads (Garcia).
  • Options
    shame you wont be at Palace with me on Saturday week then, Rikky (instead of far*ing about on a bike somewhere in Florida - huh! call yourself a real supporter!)

I'll text you with the result so that you can see it in transition before you start your run.
  • Options
    Gavo - it's obviously a personal thing, but yes, I do think Anfield is a special ground to visit. The way it's embedded among those back-to-back terraces, the walk across Stanley Park, the Hillsboro memorial, the Shankly Gate. Our society has changed radically over the years but Anfield reminds you of football's working class roots and traditions. I'm not being patronising when I say that: it's a fact. The personal element for me is that I'm old enough to remember the Beatles, and visiting Liverpool is always an emotional experience, even though I don't have any other links to the place. The city in general, and the Anfield area in particular, are amazingly evocative of an era and a tradition that isn't here anymore. I'm afraid Stamford Bridge is one of my least favourite stadia for the same reasons. It seems to sum up everything that's come in to corrupt the game. As I say, just a personal view.
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    RC - how (apart from the recent memorial additions) is that different from where Goodison is located? Personally I think they care more about their image across the world - as EFC are starting to now - than they do about the local community. Otherwise they wouldn't want to build on Stanley Park and wouldn't have bullied their way into getting planning permission.

And if they cared about traditions, they wouldn't damage Dixie Dean's grave or statue.
  • Options
    Gavo - I didn't say they cared about tradition. I don't know if they do or not. I'm talking about the sense of tradition that you pick up on when you visit. It's something I feel rather than something that they are creating for me. This will probably be lost when the new stadium is built, you're right. For years they've wanted to extend Anfield but the surrounding streets (and the owners of the houses there) have prevented them. That's a separate discussion. As for Everton, it may well be the same. I've been there only once, and I can't remember what it was like.

I didn't know about Dixie Dean's grave. Sad if true.
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    It was far better RC, trust me!

And the grave - red paint has been thrown over it more than once.
  • Options
    On a similar note, I was very very disappointed with Sky Sports tonight. The constant going on about the Liverpool fans "causing trouble" in the ground.

Fair enough, you might think.

NO

The fans were reacting to chants of "You should have died at Hillsborough"

****ing disgraceful. I hope LFC put in an official complaint, and Millwall finally ban the scum they call 'fans'.
  • Options
    We lost to Burnley! There goes one competition already :-(
  • Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Morning all.
    Well Pool managed to get into the next round. Not sure that it was as convincing as the 3-0 suggests. But it was good to see the kids given a chance. Whitbred and Potter done well. Mellor looks about a stone overweight to me and needs to get fit.
    Baros came on and made the game safe.
    I thought the Millwall skipper was out of order with some of his tackles and the way he grabbed Baros by the throat.
    Yeh the Pool fans were responding to the Millwall taunts but you what Wise said "it was the Pool supporters that started it, so we'll leave it at that".
    Dandy what were you views on last night? At least it gives the kids another game to play in.
  • Options
    Speaking as someone who was at the Millwall Liverpool game last night, the provocation definitely came from Millwall, who saw fit to sing 'Hillsborough' and '96 wasn't enough' amongst other things. We shouldn't have reacted, but Hillsborough is something that affected so many Liverpudlians, that it is understandable why so many people were angry (although, again this doesn't excuse stooping to the pond lifes' level)

Thankfully, the police kept it all under control, even though this meant being locked in the ground until the hotheads had got bored and gone home to iron their Stone Island and (fake) Burberry

It was only a block of Millwall fans initially, but then others followed suit, including women and kids - I despair at the mentally of some people, I really do. Glad we got a result, but hope to never experience anything similiar at a game again.
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Find them, name & shame them & ban them from every football ground in the country.
  • Options
    My thoughts on the game, well..

Dudek - Looked shabby against that direct throw-in style of Milwall. We need a better 2nd string goalie, but that's what Transfer windows are for! 5/10

Josemi - Looked a class above this level, and annoyed he was having to play to be honest. Worked hard and played well. 7/10

Henchoz - Oh how the mighty hath fallen.. one of our best defenders of the last few years but his confidence has seriously taken a knock at being forced out (rightly) by Carra. Gave away too many sloppy balls, but generally solid. Didn't look happy. 7/10

Whitbread - I'll admit I don't keep an eye on the reserves / youth team setup too closely, and trust the club - didn't really know anything about him. That said, I forgot for most of the match that this blonde defender wasn't Hyppia. Strong defensively and good on the ball. One for the future, and a bright future at that. 9/10. 1 pt dropped for having a stupid hair cut, and looking like a surfer.

Traore - "Jimmy" played a solid game. Nothing fancy, can't cross the ball consistently but fairly well all round game. Much improved over last season. Oh, and special note that he was getting racial abuse the whole game and didn't react. Well done Jimmy. 7/10

Potter - Excellent vision for the 3rd goal, quiet first half but looked more in control once he moved into the middle. Needs to be more confident on the ball and release it quicker. 8/10

Diao - don't like him, never have. Miss-hit the shot for the goal, but they all count. Drifts in and out of the game too much. 4/10, but only because he scored.

Biscan - Super Igor, you've gotta love him. He's not good enough for the 1st team, but a solid squad player, and always gives his heart for the team. Well in, son. 8/10

Warnock - Fast, confident, good passer. The only problem I had with his game last night was a couple of missed opportunities to release Traore on the overlap. 8/10

Flo-Po - Visciously taken out by the thug captain of the 'Lions'. Deserved better. Worked a few good moves and tracks back well to help out in midfield. 7/10

Mellor - His worst first team performance that I've seen, looks far more comfortable when he's playing regularly. Needs to go out on loan again this yr, but I've seen enough of him in the past to know he's a solid player and deserves a crack at the full team. 6/10

SUBS:

Baros - Milan..Milan.. Some of the better chanting in the ground, and thoroughly deserved. Showed his quality, and didn't react too badly to the thug captain's throat-gripping antics. A class act. 9/10

Finnan - Dull, solid, dull, defensive, dull, boring, and dull. Has no imagination, and can deliver a cross 1 out of 3. 5/10
  • Options
    Forgot to mention, MoTM - Zak Whitbread. Normally it would go to Baros for the goals, but considering the fact it was Zak's full debut, I was extremely impressed.
  • Options
    Whitbread was very composed - Henchoz did a good job holding the back line together too. Not heard one bit of moaning from him about being in the reserves; a true professional.

Igor deserves a mention just for his lumbering skills! I-gor!
  • Options
    Here's a bit of gossip for you. I was in a London restaurant on Monday night and Viera, Edu and Ronaldo (Madrid not Manchester) walked in with their respective girlfriends/wives. Ronaldo to Arsenal? Or Vieira and Edu to Madrid? Or maybe they are all thinking about joining Palace?
  • Options
    It never changes at Millwall does it.

I remember when we played them in the Cup some 8-year'ish old kid come up to me, had a spit, shouted "f*****g Gooners" and then went running back to his dad who gave him a pat on the head.

Another guy I used to work with (Millwall fan(?)) used to laugh at the fact that a group of them in the crowd would make monkey noises at th black players.

This thing keeps rearing its head and its most notable at a minority of clubs around the UK. There are some grounds that I dont mind going away such as Everton, but others that I know will be a bit frisky such as Chelski.

Find them, name & shame them & ban them from every football ground in the country, and then chuck them in jail.
  • Options
    RichardM - I *think* they all have the same sponsor, so I'm guessing it's something to do with that.

Nice conspiracy theory though :-)
  • Options
    Gary. Do I take it from that comment that there may be a chance of Edu or Ronaldo joining Palace then (seeing as you didn't laugh at that prospect)?
  • Options
    I reckon Ronaldo might go for it given the chance of linking up with your on-fire strike force.

Edu, nahhhhhh.

• Options
    There's a rumour rumbling around these 'ere parts that Danny Webber is on his way to Palace in the transfer window. Lets hope he does better than your last big purchase from us, Dwyer.
  • Options
    Do you mean Bruce Dyer, PM? Yes, another in a long line of average players we've wasted money on. Can't believe Birmingham swapped Johnson for the arrogant, under achieving prima donna Clinton Morrison though. AJ is the business and only 23, not sure we'll hang on to him for long. As for Danny Webber, I am ashamed to say I have never heard of him, but he may or may not have been in the restaurant on Monday.
  • Options
    That's the fella, Bruce Dyer. we got him back on a free (not bad as we sold him for a mil) from Barnsley last summer. He's now a permanant on the bench.
    Danny Webber the championships top scorer. Man U let him go 2 years ago and for whatever reason he chose us, Watford. Obviously we won't be able to keep him in the financial position we're in so off he goes.
  • Options
    Danny Webber's an excellent player, we did well to contain him last time our two sides met. Would love to have him in our strike force....

... would love to have a strike force!!