Options

Kent Coastal Marathon

Comments

• Options
    DG.

Although people do get PBs on this course, it is not a strong potential PB course. It is too undulating in the first half to be so. However, it is very pretty and it is going to be good this year :-)

djb
  • Options
    So are the results for last year available?I'm really quite slow and wouldn't want to be holding the marshals up. I would be more than happy to do the half anyway so it's not a problem.
  • Options
    Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    Hiya RHG,

Results. I'll be doing this one again as it's such a varied course, even though I got a PW last year due to the heat.
  • Options
    Scotty how is the hangover?
  • Options
    Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    Which one ?

They all kind of blend together.........
  • Options
    ta Scotty, I will consider it, there were 4 people behind my at Lochaber, looks like the same time would be similar here. Although hopefully I'll be able to get a bit faster over the summer now I know what it's all about.
  • Options
    Morning all, Just entered this one on line.
    This will be my first Marathon, so I am really looking forward to it.
    Will probably travel up from Farnham in my campervan and have a long weekend in the area, I presume there are plenty of campsites locally ?
    Havent checked this out yet, so any recommendations gratefully received. :-)
  • Options
    The whole of Thanet is a trailerpark, T.

Just draw up and fill yer boots!
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    RedhairedGirl, I'm a slower runner too, 4hrs 53 for FLM but I'm considering the full one too so maybe see you there.

Tinribs, this is the only info I've found so far ....http://www.touristnetuk.com/se/kent/accommodation/ac-camp/margate.htm

Must admit I've lived down here for 5 years now and not spotted many campsites!
  • Options
    The is a campsite in Ramsgate at Nethercourt Park. But if you are doing the marathon why not pitch up near the start on the cliff top. (its free and your close to the startfinish with good sea views to wake up to.)

Sorry but you no longer hold the only Marathon in Kent... there is one on 7th May at the other end of the County in Orpington... I suppose you could split hairs though and say that whilst Orpington is in the county of Kent for voting and rates, education etc. its part of the London Borough of Bromley.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies, I do like a spot of free parking, which is all it would be, with my VW camper.
    I don't really need campsite facilities as we carry everything we want with us.
    But wouldn't want to fall foul of local byelaws/overnight/parking/sleeping restrictions etc.

The thought of waking up overlooking the sea from a clifftop sounds just the ticket.

We did a similiar thing for the Hastings half, very condusive(sp) to a relaxed pre race buildup :-)
  • Options
    Sounds good to me... only point is watch exactly where you park - the locals may help themselves to your wheels!

That said unless anyone says any differently then the cliff top at Cliftonville is a good place.

Possably also the undercliff at Ramsgate (theres usually a couple of campers there over the summer months). the good bit is that your closer to the sea but the down side is you would have a ten minute drive around local roads... Probably best to stick to Cliftonville near the start.

Now opposite the start is The Blues Brothers restaurant. Not been there but it looks good fom the outside.

If you want something a bit a nicer then you can walk (or drive) along the cliff top to the Fayreness which does a very nice pint and is a supurb restaurant on the cliff top. In fact park the camper half way between the Fayreness and the start line is perfect. You will have a short walk to the pub
    estaurant and the following morning a short walk along the cliff top to the start. when you return carry on going to the Fayreness for your recovery drink and if the seas in you can stroll to the beach for a dip in the sea and some sand between your toes!
  • Options
    If anyone has seen the local news, the start of the race is roughly where the hotel caught fire!!

Fortunately, it was not the hotel we used for the race HQ. However, it was a beautiful old building and it was a real shame to lose it.

Doesn't affect the route though.....
  • Options
    Cheers Ashley, very useful info, a great help. :-)
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Hotel that burnt down was an old folks home it seems till 4 years ago, was some blaze last Weds for sure! Was is the hotel used for hq?
  • Options
    Actually, it is the only Kent marathon, as Orpington only retains the Kent postcode (and only thanks to the Royal Mail in the same way that Middlesex still exists).

Orpington is part of the London Borough of Bromley, a Unitary Authority that is responsible for setting its own Council tax and running it's own Education Authority and together with neighbouring Bexley, elects a Member of the London Assembly.

The Kent boundary ends at the Districts of Sevenoaks and Dartford since Local Government reorganisation in 1965 that extended the London County Council and paved the way for the Greater London Council. Kent County Council and the 12 District Councils covering Kent are an entirely different animal.

Using the same logic you could say that the London Marathon includes part of what would have been the County of Kent, if you go back far enough..

Sorry for the lecture. It's part of my day job to know the difference.

• Options
    I never elected any B**** member of the London Assembly especially that p*** who claims to work for London, and who is intent on making everyones live hell, increasing the cost of taxes... fighting for the rights of Asylum seekers and tube drivers every time they want a pay rise and hold London to ransom whilst the people who actually risk thier lives every day to make us safer (police, and fireman) are paid next to nothing.

Sorry rant over.

So lets see was the hotel in Cliftonville by any chance bought by a developer. There are a lot of fires in Thanet Ive noticed and its amazing how many of them are started in properties owned by developers. Take a look at Four Lanterns - burned down the week after it was closed for refurbishment and all staff were temporarily laid off (without pay!), then there was the Courtstairs. A lovely hotel bought by a developer and filled with refugees then he claimed that the business made no money. Surprising all the locals willingly accepted his plans to knowck the place down and build a some lovely houses... I heard that the hotel was burnt down by a refuge using a camp oven in thier room just after planning permission was granted,

I see that the Regency is up for developement, wonder if that will catch fire?

Oh and then there was Pleasurama. I believe planning permission was applied for on that building around the time it burnt down as well!

No idea if there is any truth in any of it but there do appear to be a lot of fires in the area...
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Hi Ashley, apparently the hotel already had permission to be turned into flats! Guess the fire saved on the demolition costs!

Don't forget Mr G's too, certain person wants to put an access road through to Dreamland and it was in the way!

Sure is hot in Thanet :-)
  • Options
    Hi Tinribs
    i also did the hastings half and this will also be my first full marathon so at least few newbies and I am not fast by any means!Can anyone inform me as to what the parking is like on the day or is it recommended to book into hotal for the night and if so any recommendations? Cheers!
  • Options
    Hi Katie,
    I remember you posting on the Hastings thread, but never got to meet you on the day, I did meet Sweetest Thing though.
    Perhaps we may cross paths at this one :-)
    Anyway whatever happens , good luck.
  • Options
    Tinribs
    Yeo also remember you posting on there too! yes Sweetest Thing and I missed each other despite going over the finish line a few mins apart, mind you I couldn't even find the people I did know! Yes good luck too. You know if Sweetest thing doing htis one?
  • Options
    Katie,
    Don't think so, she just did the FLM, and is planning to do Oxford T&G 10K and also Bristol half.
  • Options
    Tinribs
    Thanks for that, shame.What area do you live in as if you are in Surrey are myself and running buddy doing couple smaller runs leading up to Marathon if you are interested in joining us?
  • Options
    Katie

There should be no problem parking on the day as long as you turn up in plenty of time. If you do decide to stay overnight, then the Smiths Court Hotel is directly opposite the start. Details can be picked up at:

http://www.tourism.thanet.gov.uk/pages/where_to_stay.aspx

I have not stayed there myself, but we used to use the hotel for our club meetings..

Regards

djb
  • Options
    Just a quick update

Those of you who have already seen forms the start is at 9:30 not 9am. If you spot this anywhere else, please let us know.

Thanks

Dave Bennett and Mark Foster
    Race Directors
  • Options
    Katie, I believe that Smithies is supposed to be one of the better hotels in Cliftonville! My sister did stay there once (her wedding night!) If you can recall Only Fools and Horses Christmas Special when they had a day trip to Margate - Dell stayed in an interesting place... - well it isn't like that! Try the hotel that Boisy stayed in... typical B&B. Cheap and cheerful (plus across the road from the start line).

Other alternatives are Fayreness as previously mentioned good food but approx 2.5km from the start... you pass it on both out and back - but no cheating and joining the course late!

As for parking there is tons and tons. but like all races the later you leave it the further you are from the start.
  • Options
    Cinders... (bad name considering our conversation!!), I just wonder how long before the Scenic Railway gets burnt down by the local Thanet Arsonists... I hope it doesn't as having that built in your back garden could be a major plus in selling your house!
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Ah good point Ashley, Cinders apt right now as it seems Fort Lodge hotel had another fire over the weekend, was going to recommend there too!

Had my wedding reception at the Walpole Bay Hotel and that seemed a nice place, most of my relatives stayed there.
  • Options
    Katie, I live on the West side of Farnham, Surrey, so a fair way from you, I think ?

It would be nice to join you and your friend for a training run, but probably impractical.
    Remind me where you are based though, just in case !!!
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Semi-tempted by this but only as a summer target, not as a PB attempt or something like that.

Can I easily transfer my entry from Thanet 20 over for this or is that being dealt with at a later date?