Options

Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Options
    I agree with Baldy why worry when your time is up there is nothing you can do. Hope the ankle gets better soon. Seamus are you running Belfast?
    Hill session last night tough going still feeling the effects of Saturday. Going to run home tonight about 9 miles be ready for my tea by the time I get home.
  • Options
    saw your name up in lights seamus on teh web site, well done. friend did ultra in 6.11 and was hardest thing he ever did, very dehydrated and not to be repeated.

will give ankle road test in the morning, fingers crossed.

what about all the lurkers, come out and join back in.
  • Options

Great picture Baldy!

Training has resumed after very bad patch - will attempt long run tomorrow and decide after that whether to enter the mara - but it will be a case of getting round I think. Just thought it would be a shame not to give it a go on the 25th anniversary. Will need more motivation for Dublin in October - Mondays in north down?

Good running in Omagh and Connemara!
  • Options
    Hi Chris marathons 5 weeks on Monday so a bit of serious training may get you ready. If not why not get a relay team.

Ran home last night it took 90 minutes was ready for my tea when I got home. Another 20 miler on Saturday morning. Then kids birthady party in the afternoon.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    did a tempo run last night around ormeau park, damn it was windy !!!

still on for larne 1/2m, although if the wind is as bad as last night my time will be toilet.

• Options
    Hi All, hope your training is going well.

Well done Seamus on your marathon, I,m sure the sub 4 hour mark will come in Belfast.

Have taken the cold this week so have had to cut back on the training. Still hoping to make Larne all the same on Saturday.

With only 5 weeks to go to marathon day, I've been trying to decide on my schedule for long runs. With doing Larne this Saturday I think that only leaves me time to fit 2 long runs on Sundays after this. So I think that I will skip my 2nd 18 miler and opt for two 20 milers instead. That should leave me 2 weeks to taper for the maratahon.
  • Options
    Thank for the positive comments everyone.

I'm looking forward to Larne on Saturday - I'll take it leisurely as I feel a bit tired yet - then you never knoe on Saturday I could feel fine.

I did a 3 mile recovery run on Wednesday and I couldn't get above 9 min pace - last year I ran the same run at 8.3 min pace.

This year I'm training less but tryin to do it more scientifically and I think its working.

Connemara is a hard marathon - Last year my preparation was excellent - I really put in the miles - I did it in 4hrs 16.5 mins.

This year I did a lot less training, but I concentrated more on a plan and it worked better - I was never really tired on Connemara itself - but I improved my time. However last year I was not tired after the race but I was tired during it.

• Options
    Well done Kenny, Mudshark and Jim on running Omagh. Gives me the momentum to keep focused on my first half in May!

Seamus... well done on the connemara marathon... I only hope I'll be able to feel confident enough to even consider a full marathon some time in the distant future!

Training has suffered a bit the last two weeks... travel and a throat infection mean't only one outdoor run... so suffered a little today with a 7.5KM... felt really sluggish... though was very surprised to see a PB at the finish for this training route?!?

Keep running!
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    did the larne 1/2m today in 82:15. Bit disappointed really, as I had been hoping for sub 80.
    It is a tough hilly course (was reduced to 7 min/miles at one point mid race) and it was very windy on long costal sections, last 5 mile were all into the wind..:-(

Averaged 89% HR which was ok, but felt like hard work.

Will try again in a month or so (Lisburn half maybe). Anybody know how that compares ? Is it hilly ?
  • Options
    Cartman - That's a terrific time, I met Baldy before the race - I'm sure he did well.

I had a PB of 1hr 52mins 15 secs for the course.

Iwas happy to do that after running the Connemara marathon 6 days ago.

Kenny - Were you there? I didn't see you.

Good luck in the training everybody.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    well done on your PB Seamus !

didn't know anybody from here was going to be there. t'was a good race.. nice t-shirt ;-0
  • Options
    Well done cartman and seamus i ran 1hr 50mins 50secs just over 2mins slower than omagh last week.Once again slowed badly over the last 3 miles.

seamus we must have been very close at the finish it was just starting to rain heavy as i finished.That is a great time for you coming only 6 days after a marathon.I Know like me you like to go sub 4hrs for a marathon are you doing belfast and if so what's your plan for doing this.
  • Options
    Jim - Thanks for the positive comments - We were very close to each other today.

My PB for a marathon is 4hrs 45 secs in Dublin 2005. I'm usually in around from 4hrs 15 to 4hrs 30.

My plan for Belfast is to go as close to 4 hrs as possible. I did 4hrs 14 mins in Connemara. I would like to do Belfast in less than 4hrs 14 mins. I'd love to beat 4hrs but Belfast is a much harder marathon than Dublin.

My plan is to run the first half in about 1hr 57 mins and then try my best to run the second half as fast as I can. However the last 6 miles are always hard to do when your body is drained from energy. In the past I've run the first half in 1hr 54 mins but then I had very little left for the second half. To run a marathon you need to be very steady over the whole course.

Belfast is my 13th marathon - I don't like anything to do with Number 13. However it may be lucky on the day.

I feel I'm learning a lot from doing 4 marathons a year. Hopefully one day I'll do a marathon in 3hrs 59 mins 59 secs. That is my dream.

Jim - From your 1/2 marathon times - I'm sure you can beat the 4 hour mark. Good luck in your training.
  • Options
    Well done everyone who ran Larne. Seamus that was a good run six days after a marathon. Seamus I am sure you will get that 4 hour mark soon but Belfast maybe too close to Connemara. Jim I find it difficult to do two good half marathons in a row the second one is usually slower but it will put you in good shape for the marathon. Cartman that wind on the way back is one of the reasons I don't like Larne you think your going well then you hit the hill and the head wind on the way home. Lisburn has some tough hills but there are also some good down hill parts but I never get a good time.
    I was out at 7.30 with 7 other mad fools doing a 22 miler. I think we got the best part of the day cold to start but got very warm towards the end. Time was slow as I was trying to keep the slower members of the group together. We all completed the course but I feel very tired today. Belfast form filled in posting it in the morning no turning back now.
  • Options
    have i mentioned how i dont like doing larne half, heres another reason, o forgot my watch.

went out a tad slow for the first 5 or so and finished in 1.27.20. not too bad with a lot of mara miles in my legs. glad to see the wind didnt fail me - all the way back again!!

great time cartman, were you battling with greg mclure, he was right behind you and flying at the moment??

anyone for laganside, im hoping to watch, am doing final long run next sun for london.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Baldy, dunno was a bit pre-occupied and wasn't in the mood for having a chat ;-)

I was only passed in the last 4 miles by one bloke about 3/4 of a mile before the end (just before that last hill before you drop down to seafront), however he came past a fair old pace, no way could I hang on.. I was pretty goosed by that stage, the wind had sapped everything.. Although thinking about it there was a bloke in white and blue striped top that I only passed cos he had to go for a "Paula". Maybe that was him..

Overall, I did quite like the race, although if I was training for a 1/2m pb for a month or so (instead of piggy backing of off other race training), Larne would definitely NOT be my choice..
  • Options
    Hi everyone well done kenny its great to get those long training runs done 22 miles is a long way.

Yes seamus my half marathon times do make it seem possible and my long training usually go well,but after doing 4hrs 2 mins in Belfast 2002 in my first marathon my next four have all been slower.I don't know if its nerves or what but i just can't seem to get it right on the day.The marathon means the most to me its way i started running.
  • Options
    Hello all. Glad to hear youse are all running so well (I'am kind of jealous). Down with a chest infection at the moment, cant seem to shift it. Might try short run at end of week to see if it will help clear things.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that you have been unwell Ladyluck. Take it easy don't rush back until your sure you've recovered.
  • Options
    Thanks Kenny. Glad to hear your going for the Belfast marathon, with a 22 mile run under your belt you have nothing to worry about. Are you happy with new route? Love these bright nights and the best is yet to come.
  • Options
    New route looks better than last years but will let you know after the run. Great to see the clear evenings as it opens up a lot of runs, I can now run home one evening a week and we can get out into the country after spending all winter running round the town.
  • Options
    Yes the clocks going back is great.

a couple of gentle 5 milers yesterday to stretch teh legs and a day off today, steady 8 tomorrow at mara pace.

welcome back LL

cartman you is sick if you liked larne. personally think Lisburn is a better chance of PB, for every up there is a similar down, find the course fairly quick but not easy peasy!
  • Options
    Baldy are you still doing those dynamic stretches? 6 by 1000m last night 2 min recovery legs still heavy after Saturdays long run. Lisburn would be similar to Omagh if you can work the hills there are some good down hills stretches especially that mile or so back into Lisburn about mile 10. Tends to be a bit warmer at that time of year too.
  • Options
    Hello Baldy, is that really ur pic? It made me laugh when I was feeling miserable with chest infection, very funny. Feeling a bit better today but still cant seem to shift it although doc put me on 2nd course of antibiotics of 500s. Why dont they just do that the first time round. Went for brisk 4 mile walk yesterday and to be honest was out of puff. Going to try a slow run on Friday, just dying to get out for a run in these bright evenings. Kenny everytime I get a knock back with running I keep thinking how determined you are and you never let injuries/health stop you. Someday I will run a marathon although in the near future if I get my asthma under control soon I will still seriously think about round the bridges.
  • Options
    Ladyluck running when your on antibiotics will slow you down. I tried running Lisburn Half 2 years ago while on antibiotics and had a terrible run. Give them time to work their way through your system and your'll be OK. So if your going to try a run on Friday take it easy. Bridges still possible with nearly 3 months training. Looks like I'll be stuck behind the computer again this year but hopefully I'll get out to see the start and the first few runners home.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    baldy, so whadda ya reckon, is Lisburn about 2 mins faster than Larne ? I really want a sub 80 before the summer..
  • Options
    LL its not far off!!

Cartman, I reckon so, probably because it is on the back of some good warm presummer training, as opposed to Larne and the cold weather adn dull winter running. Plus i find it easier running at that time of night, 630 start.

steady 7mm tonight, nice and comfy on a hilly breezy course. reps tomorrow, mile or 1000m me thinks.

kenny, sod that for an idea, i am still doing the speed walking though. find it helps the lower legs.
  • Options
    Hello everybody - I did 5 miles yeaterday - I'll do 8 miles tomorrow and then a long run on Saturday.

Ladyluck - I wouldn't do too much exercise when on antibiotics.

2 years ago I ran Derry half-marathon after finishing a course of antibiotics the day before. I regretted that decision. I took a relapse which lasted for 4-5 weeks and ended up having to pull out of the Dublin marathon scheduled at the end of October.
    The doctor told me that I was lucky that I didn't weaken my heart. After that I said 'NEVER AGAIN'
  • Options
    Hi everyone, greetings from Tel Aviv. Glad to hear all those good runs and good training sessions!

I managed to get out and do 8KM on Sunday night and 13KM Tuesday night.

Is absolutely beautiful here in Israel... 20C... and able to run about 5KM along the beach (a lot tougher than street running!).

Anyway... am off to the airport... 5Hr flight ahead of me.

Enjoy the weekend everyone.
  • Options
    Nighmare Seamus, that wld devistate me. I had my heart set on round the bridges this year, think I might have to give it a miss especially after hearing your experience. Half way through 2nd course antibiotic but still not feeling right. Think another trip to docs might be called for. Hello Sean, do you ever stay still for 2 minutes just to catch your breath. Glad your running is going well. Just to make you feel even better, it is raining here and can be quite windy and cold at times although cant complain, the bright evenings are fab.