Options

Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for that Kenny - Terence wiil contact Stenaline. Its just as well its off as running on icy roads is very dangerous.
  • Options
    Hi everybody - The weather is very cold for running. I did a long run of 22 miles today. I was glad to get it done. 3 weeks to go to Connemara.

I see Stranraer Football Club's game was also cancelled today. It wouldn't have been pleasant going over on the boat today anyway.

I hope to do hills tomorrow.

Hope everyone else's training is going well.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    so who is up for the Larne 1/2 ?

Is it flat ? The times seem blimmin fast from last year (won in 1:07 !!!)

any idea on how to enter it ?

• Options
    Hi Cartman you can enter Larne on the day or before by going to Larne AC website http://www.larneac.co.uk/ and printing out the entry form. It's a flat course round the coast for about 5 miles you then do a 3 mile loop which includes a big hill before returning home along the coast road. Can be very windy along the coast. Good run but I prefer Omagh which is the week before.
    Hows the training going for Belfast?
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    did look at Omagh but can't make that weekend.
    Did think the wind might be a problem on the cost road (did a lot of cycling along that road last year)

Training is going ok.. keeping the long runs ticking over at 19.3 miles up and back down the lagan tow path. But am struggling keeping the mid week "tempo" runs going as have been building up the cycling and its leaving me feeling tired.

This is why I fancy a sneaky 1/2m before the marafun, it'll give me something to focus on, and my 1/2 PB is very soft indeed. Think I can take 5 or 6 minutes off it.
  • Options
    Hello all. Got new trainers (Sacony Triumph) from Up & Running in Belfast. Great staff, extremely helpful. Ran for the first time yesterday in them and they felt quite good with my orthodics. Still only up to 3.5 miles. Dark evenings still a big prob, starting to get a bit frustrated. I feel really insecure when running by myself during the day never mind running when it is starting to get dark. Need to get myself a running partner.
  • Options
    If you or one of the others fancy meeting up for a run before or after work, I could do with the company too. I live in Lisburn but work north of Belfast.
  • Options
    Good to see some old faces again.

better pic this year cartman!!!

Larne is carp, sorry but it is, you can see Alan McCullouch tear off for the first mile, then its boredom for the next 5 to the turn off, then its up hill for 21/2 then back along the boredom road for 5 and you can see the end for the last 3 or 4. Oh and it always rains, and then thers the wind............ Talk about demoralising, still i suppose it is a half and a godd opportunity to put in some miles. did i mention the t-shirt..................?

Kenny hope stranraer is at a good time, what with lots of long runs to do and under 8 weeks to london would nt want to miss it after all the hassle getting a seat on the boat.

Seamus keep pluggin away for connemarathon.

LL, glad to be of service, and good to see you were looked after in up and running
  • Options
    Ladyluck it won't be long until the clear evening. Its helps if you have some one to train with you drag youself out on nights when you just want to put you feet up. We've a good group built up in Ballymoney at the moment sometimes we have about 15 out which is good because you always find someone at the same pace as you to run with. Keep it up glad to hear that you got sorted with the shoes good staff in up and running I would normally call in if in Belfast even just for a look around and a chat.

Baldy I was glad at the end that Stranraer was cancelled as I wasn't feeling the best last week. Karen was to let us know this week the new date. With marathons comming up it might not suit. Larne t-shirt OK as long as you don't wash it after that it makes a good duster.

EllRS I live in Ballymoney so meeting up for a run after work is out of the question. Why not take a run down to Bangor and run with Baldy and North Down AC I am sure you would be made welcome.

Keep up the training Cartman you need a race during marathon training to give you something to aim for and a break from those long miles.
  • Options
    Know it's kinda cheeky as I'm no longer in Belfast... but is it OK to be part of "Northern Ireland Running" in heart? Living in the Brussels area and started training 1st Jan... am going to run the Brussels 20KM May 28th... only problem is, although quite fit a number of years ago playing football, I've never ran distances before. Anyway, training is going great... long run up to 12.5KM (1:16) and the weight is dripping off... -7.5KG!

Read through this thread and gave me great motivation... loved hearing of all the places I've been and hearing the craic! From Belfast and went to Uni in Coleraine.

• Options
    Hi Sean good to hear from you. You'll find running slighly different from playing football. A good way to loose weight and it will get easier as the weight drops off. Keep in touch and let us know how the trainings going for the 20K. Whats the weather like in Brussels its raining away here at the moment.
  • Options
    Absolutely beautiful :)

Just back from a light 5KM run with the wife.... she is going for the 20K also.

Yeah... the football training and general type of fitness is SO different!

I'm finding at the moment that my stamina is actually pretty good (especially after being unable to run even 1KM the first time I went out on New Year's day!) but that my joints (especially knees and ankles) are what I need to build on.

My cousin runs marathons and he has recommended I do some weight training once I have built my long run up to the 14KM mark... not sure about this though.
  • Options
    Sean I do circuit training on Wednesdays and pilates on a Thursday as part of my training. Used to go to the gym but found it boring Tend to work harder at circuits than I did in the gym. A session in the gym doing weights would help I would go for ligher weights and do more reps rather than trying to pump heavy weights. Once you have built up the miles you could try adding some hill sessions and a bit of speed work into your training.
  • Options
    Registered for my first event... American Womens Club of Brussels 10K in aid of Breast Cancer.

All excited now :)
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    baldy, I've done my fair share of carp runs over the last year. In fact every day I run down airport road west, so I know the true interpretation of the word bleak !

The times for larne are fast though, 1:07 ? So it can't be that hard..

Still think I'll do it though..

Had a bit of shock on my run last night up the tow path at Stranmillis. Seems they pulled a body out of the river there recently !!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice Kenneth. My weekly mileage is between 20 and 35KM. I travel a lot so find it difficult to do all of it outdoors so I add in treadmill sessions to keep the mileage up. In another few weeks I'm going to fit in a hill training session per week with a few friends who do the Brussels 20K every year. May also fit in one speed session per week... this would give me... 1 medium slow run, 1 long slow run, 1 speed session and 1 hill session... absolutely cannot fit in any more... two small kids :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the good advise Baldy & Kenny, advise from the pros always welcomed. Hello Sean, lucky you living in Brussels. I thought I was bad moving 60 miles away from Belfast in the middle of the sticks all in the name of love. Do you miss home? bet you dont miss the weather.
    Going to try and squeeze in another run tonight on the running machine...yuck.
  • Options
    Hi Ladyluck. I moved from Belfast 7 years ago... WOW, times flys fast! We were in Dusseldorf for 5 years and have been in Waterloo, just outside Brussels, for coming up to 2 years.

Sometimes miss home... but home is really where the wife and kids are :)Plus have Sky from Northern Ireland... makes a big difference seeing the local news from home:)

Travel virtually every week all over Eastern Europe so am finding the training hard to make consistently... but am absolutely addicted!

Where are you living now?... You mentioned 60 miles from Belfast.
  • Options
    Just recieved email from Karen in Stranraer half is now on Sat 3 June. Hopefully there won't be much snow then. £20 foot passenger special still available on that day should be no problem getting on the ferry as the football season will be over.

Ladyluck don't let them in Limavady hear you saying you live out in the sticks.

Sean when you have a young family it ties you down. I am lucky I can do some of my training at lunchtime. Tread mills are fine if you are pushed for time and you can still baby sit and run at the same time. Personally I hate the things and much prefer to be out in the open exposed to the elements. Must be dificult fitting in a run when your away from home.

I think you should try Larne Cartman and report back. The year I ran it one of the mile markers at the start of the climb was move up until then I had been running at 8.5 minute mile pace then went to over 10 minute miles couldn't understand what had happen. The down hill mile was short and I think I ran a sub 5 minute mile but the rest of the mile markers were OK. That year there was a strong head wind on the way home and you could see all these runners in front of but couldn't close them down. Some runs you like others no matter what you dislike.
  • Options
    You're right Kenneth... the travel really restricts things... and also, because I'm away so much, my time with the kids is precious. I've been either running late in the evening after bathing them and putting them to bed (quite a few minus 6C runs!) or working from home the odd day when I can be a bit more flexible with my time and run when they are at kindergarten/nursery.

Just waiting on my Forerunner coming... think it may help me get out and about when travelling.

Good luck everyone who are planning on getting out for a run this evening. Enjoy :)
  • Options
    Welcome to the group Sean.

Was coming your this weekend Kenny, had fri and sat booked at the radison, unfortunately mrs b and 2 litluns in sickbay so stay at home and long run along the coast to make up for it!!

Ground out a hard 10 today, heart wasnt in it, hate those days, hills tomorrow am so hoping for a bit of umph to find me tonight!!
  • Options
    I feel a bit of an intruder on this forum - I am relatively new to running (about 8 mths)and have decided to attempt the Omagh half marathon. Grateful for any info. on what I should expect - an earlier thread I read said it was quite hilly.

Also for anyone in North Down, can you recommend a good physio - I have developed a pain in my left hip every time I run. It eventually goes away but returns every time I venture out.
  • Options
    Hi Mudshark 1 welcome to the forum all inputs are welcome. Omagh is a good well organised half and always gets a good turnout. It is quite hilly but for every hill you go there is a downhill section. The last mile is flat or slightly down hill and you finish with a lap of the running track. I don't know if its a bit short but I always get a good time on this course.

Do you always run on the one side of the road sometimes if you do this and there is a camber you put more pressue on the leg thats on the high side of the camber causing a pain in the hip. Hopefully Baldy will be able to suggest a physio so you can get it checked out.
  • Options
    Mudshark welcome, if you are from north down i can recommend a great bunch of runners of all abilities on a monday night.

Omagh is good and nicely undulating!!!!!

Best local physio is Phyllis English in Bangor near to Bryansburn Pub. She is a bit of a task mistress and often advises brufen or a 'wee one' before sessions, but she is very good. Mrs B is away to her at the moment.

Pain in hip often down to trainers and pronation, might be worth getting on a treadmill and having it checked too. might be repetitive but up and running will do it and charge nothing for advice, wont try hard sell either!!!

4M of Kenyan hills for me today with 1M wu and cd. Carnlea dog walkers thought i was mad, no comments pease.
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome and advice.

'Nicely undulating' would make me apprehensive about taking part if I wasn't so committed to meeting the goals I have set myself - so onwards and perhaps unfortunately upwards.

My running route has predominately centred around running on the Bangor to N'Ards dual carriageway (which incidentally isn't the most interesting of routes) although it does have a slope on one side so perhaps I will change sides to see if that helps. I will assess how I feel after Omagh and perhaps if no better will arrange a visit to Phyllis.

• Options
    Hallo there, whoa, a Northern Ireland thread!

LOL at the name Turtle Toes, great stuff. I, too, am a girl. Oui oui.

Have been running for about three months now, and am pretty much brand new to this site. Just to say, it really is mega-informative and all the members seem very supportive, which is just great.

Running can be tricky, is all I will say, having just graduated from training exclusively on treadmill (running about 25-30k per week) to tackling the roads yesterday, Im pretty much learning to walk again today! Muscles ache everywhere and only did about 5k (in the pouring rain though).

Even though a first time, Im astounded how different it is. However, its so much more cheeser smile-bringing in terms of achievement compared to musty gym.

Take care and much luv.
  • Options
    Hi everyone. Great to hear from so many fellow Northern Irelanders!

Beau, I find the same between road and treadmill... though I see the benefit in both.

Was in Germany this morning and went for a 6KM run along the Rheine... saw the sun come up... absolutely great run... probably my best so far! :)
  • Options
    Sean - Welcome to the forum - Early morning runs are great. After an early run you feel good all day.

Kenny and Baldy - I hope your training is going well.

I must run later on.
  • Options
    I did 13 miles in 2hrs 4 mins today. This is my last longish run before Connemara. Its great to have to taper - at least you know the big one is ahead of you.
  • Options
    Well done Seamus! I did my longest run ever today... 15KM... feeling great... am absolutely over the moon... never thought when I started 10 weeks ago that I would now be able to do anywhere near that distance!

Hi to everyone back home and I hope everyone is in good form!

Sean