Options

Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Options
    BeansBeans ✭✭✭
    Thanks Baldy, I would appreciate that!
  • Options
    Ended up resting today, in the garden, grass cut, hedge trimmed and huge clematis removed. Nice and theraputic, will have to run the legs off my self tomorrow.

howd you all spend paddys day??
  • Options
    Hi everyone good to hear from every one. Seven miles on Thursday night. Rest today a bit of DIY long run tomorrow on my own. See you Sunday Baldy I am on the coaching course too.
  • Options
    Good session today, 35 mins of kenyan hills with 15 min wu then 20 min cd, reckon about 8 hard miles. Thats certainly what the dog thought anyway, he werent impressed when i threw him in the reeservoir at the end, he thinks im trying to get the mud off but i was just helping him do a paula really for his own good!!!

kenny if i get there first how do you like your coffee??
  • Options
    Hi everyone. Glad to see you are all doing well. Bad week for me... not one single run... was stuck in Bucharest in all day meetings :( Was hoping to get two runs in this weekend but had a St Patrick's party at the house on Friday night... 90 people... has taken until now to clear the carnage! Anyway, am hoping next week will be better... though am flying to Moscow tomorrow morning and not back until next saturday :( Keep up the running and I'll patch into the thread next week to try to get me motivated to get myself up and running.
  • Options
    Hi everyone 20 miles yesterday very cold and I tired towards the end as I had 5 miles into a head wind. Coaching course today think I'll stick to the running not much good at jumping or throwing.
    Sean your training realy suffers because of your work but at least your seeing a bit of the world.
  • Options
    Yeah Kenneth... 23 countries in the last 12 months!... mostly hotel rooms :) Can't complain though. Anyway, I'm definately going to have at least four runs completed this time next week... watch this space :)
  • Options
    Sean that a lot of travelling you must live out of a suitcase a lot of the time. Do you know I am lost in Russian or are you going to stick to the tread mill.
  • Options
    Hi All

Training slipped slightly over the weekend. Was away to Sligo and only managed a measly 3m on Sat & 4m on Sun.

Well done Kenny, 20 miles is impressive. Reading Baldy's or Cartman's distances and times is enough to dishearten anyone but I will plod along. Make sure you squeeze in those runs Sean.
  • Options
    evening all,

Kenny, having been there to witness it, my coaching advice would be stick to the track and roads, thanks for making me look coordinated!!! i have spent the last 2 days walking like John Wayne, those bliddy dynamic stretches - never again.

Beans - run for life is relatively flat, does not go up the hill but takes in the trails of stormont, described to me as a nice run!!

did a gentle 5 yesterday lunch then a steady 7 last night with plenty of strides. finally a speed session fo 6x1000m today with 400m jogs.

sean distances are relative, depends on what your goal is, mine is a mara, but every run is a personal thing. Just keep doing them.

Seamus, good luck for sunday, i know you will enjoy it, you always do.
  • Options
    BeansBeans ✭✭✭
    Many thanks Baldy, as I do most of my running on a treadmill and went out yesterday in my lunch break for the first time in ages, I am very relieved!
  • Options
    Beans. I live beside Stormont and do 90% of my running off-road there. I would describe it as undulating as you can find a challenging enough course on the bark trails through the woods including 2 short but very steep hills. The course for the run you ask about is fairly flat though and doesn't use the monster hill you fear. It was well organised and was a fun day for the runners families to cheer them on.
  • Options
    Thanks Baldy - I'm really looking forward to Connemara - a run in the wilds.

Kenny and everyone - Keep up with the training. Kenny - that 20 mile run you did will keep you in good stead for the Belfast marathon.
  • Options
    Seamus, Good luck on Sunday watch out you don't trip over one of those sheep. You will be hoping it warms up a bit.

Beans Stormont is a lovely place to run round esspecially when you miss out the hill, good luck with the run.

Baldy I take it you won't be doing any dynamic stretching before the marathon. I was OK on Monday but found my legs sore yesterday. Speed session last night finally sorted them out. If it leaves you like that is it realy doing you any good before a race. I can see the benifits in short sprints but can't for the longer distances.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    who is doing Omagh then ? I'm almost certainly doing Larne, anybody else ?

Hope this bliddy nasty wind goes by then, I was running straight into it for 7 miles yesterday from shaws bridge out to the end of airport road, horrible..
  • Options
    Hi Cartman I will be in Omagh have a 20 miler organised for 1 April so won't be in Larne. This wind is nasty especially when you are running into it. I find after a while I get cold and can't go quick enough to keep warm. During my long run last Saturday the 5 -6 miles was into the head wind it wasn't very pleasant.
  • Options
    Hi hope you are all fit and well.cut my long run on sunday to a 9 miler with omagh this saturday in mind.Can't wait for saturday to come.i have started thinking about times this normaly mess me up but in a race its hard just to run and not think about times. PB 1HR 43MINS SET 4 YEARS AGO IN Lisburn will be happy with sub 1hr 50min

scrap that i an going to enjoy the run whatever the time is
  • Options
    BeansBeans ✭✭✭
    Thanks Sam and Kenneth. I am really looking forward to it. I went outside tonight and although I am very slow I managed three miles very well (39 minutes which included a 5 min wlak to warm up but I am 4 stone overweight with an under active thyroid). I am a litle worried as early evening seems my best time to run and the 5k is at 11am. I went at lunch time the other day from work and found it very hard. This will be my first atempt at a race and I am hoping the atmosphere will give me the boost I will need!
  • Options
    BeansBeans ✭✭✭
    Excuse all the typos, I can spell - just can't type very well!
  • Options
    Hi everyone. I've made a couple of posts but have generally been a lurker and haven't introduced myself. I'm returning to running after an absence of a couple of years due to illness.Did 2001 and 2002 Belfast Marathon in about 4:15 with 1:45 for the half, then blew up. I'm back to around 4 miles - 5 days a week and looking to build on this. A group of us from work are running this year's Belfast Marathon. I drew the short first leg, thankfully. A colleague of mine from work had his son stabbed to death in North Belfast. You may remember it from the news. We are running to raise money for his trust and any donation would be welcome. Even better, it would be great if you would also try to raise money for this great cause. You can read more about it here. www.thomasdevlin.com
  • Options
    Greetings from Moscow :)

Just a quick hello. Tried to run on Tuesday morning... not very successful... footpaths absolutely ice laden... had to give up after a few minutes... treadmills were all in use in the hotel... strike one! Yesterday... on treadmill, 15 minutes in and the fuses blow! Strike two!... Third bat produced a home run... finally managed a nice 45 minuter this morning:)
  • Options
    Hi everyone ran Omagh today 1.55.04 very warm after all the cold weather we have been having. Was going well but tired over the last three miles. Well organised race and record number taking part. How did the rest of you get on.
  • Options
    Hi All, ran my first half marathon yesterday in Omagh (1:39ish I think). Really enjoyed the experience, but like Kenny found the last 3 miles tough going. Considering running Larne - any views as to whether its a good run or not.
  • Options
    Hi Mudshark good run yesterday. I prefer Omagh to Larne which I find boring. Out the coast for 5 mile three mile loop back inthe coast road which can be very windy. Not as big a crowd as Omagh. I find that trying to race half marathons two weeks in a row you don't go as well the second week.
    Official results up on the Omagh Harriers web site.
  • Options
    well done with teh half you two, need to pace it a bit more with the sound of things over the last 3!!

continued with the hard week, knocked up 41M before today so legs fairly tired before long run of 22M. Still, a creditable 2.25 and a bit with a breezy run out and a hard last but one mile when the wind was back in my face. doign everything without gels and only one drink at the moment.

Am for larne on sat myself, may just run it at mara pace then go out again on sun and try get another hard week in. then again...............

Come on Seamus, where are you, let us know how you got on
  • Options
    Hi all this struggling over the last 3 miles must be catching i to slowed badly over these miles to finish in a time of 1hr 48min.I am happy with this however.I am doing larne.I hate the course and always struggle on the coast road on the way back.Will start slower than i did in omagh.
  • Options
    Hello everybody - I just got back from Galway at 10.00pm. I ran it in 4hrs 14mins. Iwas very pleased with my run as it is a PB for myself for this course. Last year I did it in 4hrs 16.5 mins.

Kenny - You did well in Omagh - I'm sorry to miss it but Connemara is always on the same weekend.

There's a half marathon this year in Achill Island in Co. Mayo in early July.

Next year there will be a full marathon on Achill Island. These bring the tourists in.

Jim - That's a very good time.

Baldy 2.25 for a 22 mile run is excellent. At home I do a 22 mile run in 3.26 and I was pleased with that.

• Options
    Hi Jim good run on Saturday I was a bit dehydrated at the end of the race I found it difficult getting enough water from those plastic cups. This would lead to feeling tired towards the end of a race. I would have thought that I could stick the 13 miles after all the long runs even if they were at a slower pace. We are not used to the heat at the moment and I lost a lot of sweat out on the course.

Good run Seamus you must love them Connemara hills. What was the weather like it rained most of the day up here.
  • Options
    Kenny - The weather was terrible after mile 6 it rained steadily and there was a bit of a breeze blowing against us.

I felt good all during the marathon although I never got anywhere near the 4 hr mark.

However I was looking through the Connemara website today and one athlete died on the course. Its very sad when this happens and I am in shock.

This also happened on the Great North run and in last years Lisburn 1/2.
  • Options
    Well done seamus, dont dwell on the bad side of things, when my time is up i will gladly go doing something i enjoy!!!

feel carp today, woke up hardly able to walk on left ankle. mystery as dont mind hurting it. lots of RICE to help it and a bucket full of brufen to nudge it along. will keep off it til thurs and see how things are. only 4 wks left...................