Options

Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Options
    Mudshark, we have probably passed, i live in conlig and regularly plod teh carriageway, am the bald one with a tiny silly hat, always in shorts. keep up the running and if you ever need help.......

Seamus, two weeks from now and it will all be over, again, for another year.

Defied the weather today and battled through the gusting winds, horizantal rain and freezing cold to do 21 in 2.25.30. Felt rally strong today thanks to 2 days continuous rest, a new thing for me.

Kenny where art thou??

Beau, ou est tous or is that vous???

tis becoming a multi cultural NI thread, how things change.
  • Options
    Hi to everyone

Ran 14 miles yesterday and my hip is killing me - will do something about it after the Omagh half marathan (just in case I'm told to rest).

Good to hear how everyone is training and hats off (or should that be on) to those who braved the elements today. Maybe see you soon Baldy on the carriageway - pretty impressive running today.

Hope you are getting better conditions than us Sean at the moment - I hate to run in the wind.
  • Options
    Hallo Baldy, Im from Belfast! Not that multi-cultural really, but if you like I could make little one-word references here and there to make it seem a bit more cosmopolitan? Bonjour?

Well, since hitting the road last week, that road has taken the form of the Ormeau embankment area... god, the difference between treadmill and road, even on a plus one gradient is madness. But, lookin forward to getting up to where I was in the gym. All good

Those sound like some amazing times for 21 miles.... oh, some day!
  • Options
    Mudshark,
    had the benefit of an absolutely glorious day... still very cold at around 1C but beautiful blue clear sky and very little wind. Hope your hip gets better.

Jeez Baldy! what a distance... and what a time to do it in! Well done!

Am off to Bucharest tomorrow... am going to try to get a few short runs in on Tuesday and Wednesday.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Beau, I run around the ormeau embankment all the time. In fact I've fot a nice little circuit there (3.3 miles) that I do 3 or 4 reps of a couple of time a week.

Ran there a little more than normal today goes the tow path to Lisburn was flooded :(
  • Options
    Hi everyone glad to hear that everyone is training away.
    Great day yesterday did a 20 miler at one time I thought I was running on the spot completely different day when you turned out of the wind. We were lucky that the rain wasn't heavy a fine drizzle most of the time. Good to get 20 miles under the belt. Seriously thinking about Belfast now.
  • Options
    great going folks, the wind is still up and am about to take out Fido, will save the running for club outing tonight.

Sean thanks for the name dropping of your bountry hopping!!

Beau keep it up tis more fun than being indoors although nice to be warm :-)

Kenny cant believe you really thought about not doing Belfast.

Have gto my accom booked for London now, so next thing is to get Belfast entry in.

TTFN
  • Options
    Hello all. You'se are all doing really well running in these awful conditions (Sean excluded - we are all so jealous). 20 miles under your belt Kenny, Belfast will be no problem to you. Hello Beau, I used to love the running machine until I started running outside, now it is the other way about. Needs must, so I still run on running machine when I put baby to bed but time seems to drag indoors. Up to 4 miles at moment, still taking it really easy. Going to increase mileage slowly this time hopefully avoiding injury. Still focused on 'round the bridges' so I have loads of time to get up to 10 miles. Running Belfast Marathon but in a relay team. We are running to gather funds for my mum. She has MS and we are sending her to Holland for Stem Cell treatment so keep fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Bucharest.... freezing cold... extremely windy... and raining :( At least the beer is good :)
  • Options

Hello all

Training is rubbish at the moment - two long runs is all I've managed, which is not good with Omagh round the corner and Belfast not much further away.......will have to see how it goes before committing myself to Belfast....

Ladyluck - how can someone contribute to the cause?
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    I'm almost certainly doing belfast. I've kept my weekly milage reasonable despite all the blinking cycling, and I've kept my long runs going virtually every weekend. Only problem is that I've let ym mid week tempo runs slip (as there are too much like hard work).

If I do do belfast though it will be part of the 3 day IM. do a nice 112 mile cycle the day before as a warmup.

Definitely need to pull my finger out..

What does everyone think of the new route. A bit better than last year, but still not a touch on the old traditional route..

• Options

Cartman - new route is certainly more appealing than last year - what do you make of the climb up the Antrim Road?
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    not too bad to be honest.. I suspect the worst bits are going to be the bit along the M2 and the tow path..
  • Options
    Hello Chris, sorry to hear ur training not going as planned, still time yet though. I honestly never thought about it, but I guess if anyone wanted to make a contribution they could email me and I could give them details. Thanks for the thought Chris.
  • Options

LL - can't seem to access your e-mail....if you want, you could send on details to me......
  • Options
    Chris think my email is working now but sent you some information regardless. Let me know if you got it ok.
  • Options
    Going to try and squeeze a run in during lunch today. No shower facilities in work so going to have to go to the gym. Think will do a 30 minutes speed session that should give me just enough time to get showered and back to work with a big red face.
  • Options
    bit of umph needed there Chris, get yourself back down the Norht Down way on a mon night and you will soon find it again.

gentle 6.7M recovery yesterday and a stiff 6M tempo today. 2/3 med long runs ahead as car is sick and have to run to and from belfast to work for 2 days. Train may be of use on one journey.

Big red face is giveaway LL, i have to drive with the car window down to try rid myself!!
  • Options
    Managed a 5 mile run at lunchtime avoiding the showers. Busy week ahead so trying to squeeze some training in around family commitments and a weekend in Sligo.

I'm interested in introducing some cycling into my training and perhaps attempting a few dualthons towards the end of the year - any hints as where to start Cartman?
  • Options
    Hi everyone hill session last night. Legs still heavy from Sunday's long run I think I need to get out and do a slow easy run on a Monday to help loosen up a bit. Second 4 hill quicker than the first 4 once I had loosen up. The weather was mild and very little wind but a heavy drizzle, that rain that wets you as Peter Kay would say.

Did you get out at lunchtime ladyluck. No cure for the red face but you feel a lot better in the afternoon and you get to run in day light.

Chris can you have a word with the Angie and see if they can give us a bit of good weather. Leaving it a bit late to get the miles in for Belfast have sent my entry away for Omagh so probably see you there.
  • Options

Angie very unco-operative about arranging weather for events......but will try.

Baldy - you might be right - what time and where and how much?
  • Options
    Got my run done during lunch, tight going though. Mad rush to get showered and back to work but just about made it. It was great though to get baby to bed and not have to worry about getting some fitness squeezed in between baby bedtime and housework. Think I will try this at least once a week. Did get some stick about my red face though.
  • Options
    Ladyluck you should get your workmates to go with you then you would all have red faces in the afternoon.
  • Options
    Hello Kenny, dont think that would work. I am the only female here and would not be at their level of fitness. Would just hold them back but it is a nice thought though.
  • Options
    Hello everybody - Good to hear that you're all still at the training.

I did 5 miles on Tuesday - this is my tapering spell for Connemara.

I hope to do Belfast as well

Kenny - after a long run its only natural for your body to go into a slower mode.

I find it hard to increase the pace most of the time - I'm a slowish runner - but I like running marathons as I know that I can keep going.
  • Options
    BeansBeans ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. I have managed to pluck up the courage to enter my first ever 5k despite being slow and bricking it that I will be last! It is the Tesco sponsored race for life in Belfast in June. The location is Stormont but surely to God it won't include that huge lane up to parliament buildings will it? Does anyone here know?

Cheers Beans
  • Options
    hi everyone home pc sorted at last so i can start posting again.have kept reading posts via computer in work when boss is out.

i have been training away since the turn of the year and complted a 18 miler on sunday [very wet a finish]in 2hrs 43mins.

will be running omagh and larne can,t wait because the last race i run was the 10m ballyclare at the end of last summer.

i have been trying to do 3 and 4 mile speed session but find these very tough.I am total shatter at end of these and don,t seem to see an improvment.It's putting me of entering an 10k races again.
  • Options
    Hi All

Squeezed in another 5 mile at lunchtime with some hail stones thrown in for good measure - just in case the run got too enjoyable.

Looking forward to Omagh but I'm away this weekend so no long run on Sat. Good to hear of all of those who are keeping their mileage up for the marathon and those who have difficulties in trying to fit some training around everyday life. Its not easy but well worth it afterwards.

Omagh will be my first half marathon, would it be too optimistic or foolish to contemmplate Larne the follwoing week - any views?
  • Options
    Some serious training going on out there.

Beans, sorry dont know as they wont let us guys join in, will try and find out in the meantime though.

Kenny you are long enough in teh tooth to go out in any weather, or are you going soft on us?

Jim welcome back, good luck with Omagh and larne, neither is too easy. What sort of speed sessions, mihgt be able to help, try mixing them up with hill work. It may just be your averall training plan that needs a tweek.

Mudshark, beauty of both is that you can enter on the day usually so you dont need to commit until you arrive at the start. Do one and see how you feel.

Chris, 7pm Bangor sportsplex and nowt to pay until you join the club, then its not much more than £20 including NIAF registration. Unfortunate bit is most of us join the track too for use of the facilities there.(£32 but use of the showers and the track and the equipment)

Me i am messing about at the moment, ran home from belshaft last night and back this morning, 13M ish in 1.32 and 1.34 today. happy enough with both but today was hard after little rest and cold early 6am start. No long run this sun, am in Stroke city doing UKA coaching course.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Did a tempo session round ormeau embankment last night, 10 miles in 63 mins on the noody.. quite pleased. And have bagged an 12 easy today.

If I can do that fast run twice a week for the next 5 weeks I think Belfast will be a goer for me..

am deffo gonna try Larne out, might cycle up there and back, it'll be good IM training..