Options

Runner's World 15-Mile Training Run, Richmond Park

Comments

• Options
    I was running the wrong way and met up with the Unofficial Get You Round Group. Thanks JJ and V-Rap :-)
  • Options
    oh.................. was it you who shouted ay me LL? just at the start of our second lap? I was off on a different astral plane which was probably lucky for you or you may have needed to increase your pace to escape my clutches.

Mumber 3 it was my pleasure, we were both in the same proverbial boat and I have made the mistake of trying to catch up too quickly in the past and suffered for it, didn't want you doing the same :-))

I had another of my crappy days but it was lovely to see those I saw///////
  • Options
    That was me, Plum. Catch me if you can! :-)
  • Options
    Mr Creosote, I was with the 7 min mob and was wearing all black, shaved/bald head and on the first lap I had a pair of cut off cycling gloves with the some reflectors on the back of them.

Which one were you, not the one who ran into the bollard?
  • Options
    Fantastic run, thank-you to the 10 min mile pacer. Do we know that it was definitely 15 miles? Hope so as it means I was dead quick,comparatively!
  • Options
    Really enjoyed trundling around with the slightly-on-the-quick-side 9 minute group, at least for the first lap, anyway. Halfway up the steep hill at the end I felt something in my right knee snap like a guitar string. I carried on for a bit to see if the pain would go away, but had to drop out just after the start of the second lap.

If anyone was wondering, I was the bloke in the Nike 10k long-sleeved top hopping up and down on one leg while clutching the other and shouting obscenities. Easy to spot.

It was a shame, really, cos I was having a great time until then, even though I was accused of being a "mentalist" for wearing shorts at the start.
  • Options
    Good run. Thanks to the 9 min lady pacer.

RW - what news please of the man who was receiving treatment at the end?
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Ah, so it was actually Jo Brand was it? I remember running past a woman and thinking she looked like her.

I wasn't in this run but I was out doing 2 laps in the same direction and had a morale-boosting time overtaking some of you! Looked like the usual well-organised thing, and I was relieved I hadn't opted to go anti-clockwise.

• Options
    Emma, RW says that the lap distance is 7.25M and I measured it on the map at 7.2M, so two laps is certainly around 14.5M, and almost certainly not 15M.

Anyone with GPS got a measurement to offer from the field?
  • Options
    I regularly run in the park. By GPS it is pretty much 7 1/4 miles. There is a minor detour by Sheen gate where you follow a roadside path for a short way before turning left down to roehampton gate - that makes it exactly 7 1/2 miles which I usually follow for my runs.
  • Options
    Hello everybody

Here's a quick update on the chap who collapsed at the end. The gentleman suffered a heart attack but is currently in a stable condition in hospital. Thanks have to be given to the two doctors who were, luckily, running in his group and the paramedics for the prompt action taken after his collapse. We'll keep you updated if we hear any more news.

Rob
  • Options
    Flyer, Thanks for the info. So 7.25M is a pretty good figure for the lap.

I don't think that we took the detour in the 9min group - We took the main path through the wood to the road next to the Sheen Gate, crossed the road onto the path and followed it to the Roehampton Gate, passing to the North of Adam's Pond. I guess that the detour goes South from the Gate, towards the mini roundabout?
  • Options
    Was glad to read that the 9min group was a 'lively' one - had thought it seemed a bit quicker than expected. Does anyone know what the 7min mile group did???

• Options
    BRM, that's right - go south from Sheen gate to the mini roundabout and then turn left down to Roehampton gate and resume the normal permiter path - that's almost a perfect 7.5 miles.
  • Options
    Rob

thanks for the update on the guy, fingers crossed all is ok, had been worrying about him and so had my friend Barry who saw him being taken away.

p.s. is that Icon of yours Gonch from Grange Hill?
  • Options
    Gonch Gardener it is. Didn't you see me selling toast from the bike shed yesterday?
  • Options
    What a brilliant run - really loved it. First time I have been to Richmond park.

Thank you RW and all the helpers- much appreciated
  • Options
    Gonch rules!!, if you are ever offered cake do you say 'just a slivah'
  • Options
    Thank you Rob for the update. Please keep us posted.
  • Options
    thanks for the update about the guy who was taken ill - have been very worried about him - fingers crossed from everyone there, I'm sure - and well done to the ladies who were able to provide the first aid.
    Good run, although have found the cold is really beginning to affect my knees - and although I thought an 8am start was cold - it seemed colder after 10am when the sun had gone in!
    Anyone know of any runs on the easter weekend?
    Once again - best wishes to the chap taken ill.
  • Options
    re easter weekend, I will be back on the sunday at RP doing 3 circuits for my last long run. Any one fancy joining in for an early start?
  • Options
    just a minor addition to the run on sunday, which was just superb, thanks again runners world for organising something so well and it was free! top drawer!

did anyone have any run ins with overly aggresive mountain bike riders? I had one guy loudly shouting "move out the way" as he came whizzing past at about 30mph, plus another one who deliberately went through a puddle right next to us getting us wet as he went past, I am wondering if they realise that we are all there to share the park equally and to enjoy it, there is plenty of room on the path for everyone and all they have to do is calmly sounds their bell, if they have one, or give us advance notice of their approach.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    There was all sorts of trouble like that last year.

The trouble is that since they built that path, it's extremely popular - 10 years ago it used to be quite difficult to get round the park at this time of year and involved some fairly heavy-duty mud-wading.

What's more, the nice people who run the park are quite harsh on issuing fines to bikers who stray off the path, as well as restricting its parking and closing its gates to motorists, so I can understand a level of frustration.

• Options
    Anyone join me in an easy (10mpm) 17M run next Sunday (6 Mar 2005)? Meet at Kinston Stn at 0900, run the river path to Walton and back, very scenic, flatter than Norfolk?
  • Options
    StephenV, As a sub-4-wannabe, I have to do 22M slow (10mpm) on 27 March - What pace are you planning for your 3 laps of the Park?
  • Options
    Hi Jimbus
    I was on the wrong side of the angry mountain biker - were you in the 11m/m group? I was in the fluro jacket and navy baseball cap! Nearly got run off the path by him as he shouted!!

Thanks Gonch for the update on the poorly guy, worrying about him too since I heard.

Anyone doing 11mins at Silverstone??
  • Options
    Stephen V, count me in for that if thats OK, I have been dreading that run & it would be a pleasure to tag along with someone else, mail me with the details as I don't come here a lot and we can keep in touch.

Nick
  • Options
    BRM-sorry didn't see your post , that looks good to me, let me know the details and maybe we can a last long run get together.

Nick
  • Options
    Its late - I meant we can sort out a pre marathon long run.

I am going to bed now.

G'night everyone.
  • Options
    1st time around RPk. Great place to run and will come back to complete another long run before FLM. Worried that I hadn't done enough mileage and wanted to know what pace I rang at because always found it hard to judge. Ran with 10min miling group. Faded after that hill but picked up again later. Thanks to Debbie from Handy X, who helped me to pick up pace to finish.
    Thanks RW - nice one.