Options

Sub 3:00 FLM 2006

Comments

• Options
    Odeon, With just over a month between the 2 races, my advice would be:

Weeks 1 and 2 - very little gentle jogging - recover.

Then keep your long run at ~ 90 mins.

If convenient add 2 speed sessions in the week - If you're looking at running close to 18 mins (for me an 18 min 5km equated to a 2:58 marathon) I'd put in one session along the lines of:

15 x 400m 1-2s a lap quicker than target pace, 60s recovery.

The other:

4 x 1 mile @ 5:45 - 5:50 pace with 90s - 2 mins recovery, or 6 x 1km @ 3:36ish off 90s.

Were you thinking of an Autumn marathon? If so, I'd look to get a 2hr run reestablished from mid July (after 5km), then increase to 2:30hrs from mid August.
  • Options
    pansies jej! im still keeping half an eye on this thread you know!!
  • Options
    have to say i havnt run since London as i have an illopsoas problem. very painful. its strange, you can run with it but after the run its hard to even walk as the thigh groin completely stiffens up. it was niggling all the way through my marathon training and now im paying for running on it.......im also a stone heavier! beginning to wonder if i will ever get back now.As for the unilever triathlon JEJ...i guess i can hardly run sub 20 now for 5k! just to ythink this time last year i ran a 5k in 16.10....ah memories
  • Options
    JH1 The Dentist is 'Goll' - perhaps the most competitive cyclist in Harley Street. If you look back over the past few years you'll get to see some of his faster bike times - last year was a slow one, and this year he's in training for a Lands End to John O' Groats ride.

NJ Thought that would get your attention if you were still reading this! Sorry to hear about your injury - doesn't sound too promising for July, but I'm sure you'll get up to speed quickly enough once you get over the niggle. BTW, I was speaking to James B in Ice Cream & Frozen Foods last week - he's a lot quicker than I thought (32 min 10km) and now in the GB duathlon team for his age group. Looks like we both have our work cut out to be the fastest man in Unilever!
  • Options
    Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Looking for Sub 3 at Cardiff. Probably look at putting in 5m in morning before work with current schedules which should take me up to 85-90m per week.

That will probably be max limit due to gf. Will attempt to get PB's on the way through at all distances.

Will use speedwork for July and then raise long run. From a comment you made over the last couple of days, sub-3 at Cardiff won't be in time for gfa for FLM2007. 1.15 hm not a chance. Any thoughts?

• Options
    Based on previous years Cardiff is unlikely to be in time, but it's not announced yet.

JH1 If you're doing the duathlon I'll have to get in training... I believe I'm unbeaten in competition (except the guess DN's LFOTM 5km time and Venom's theoretical marathon) this year on the sub 3 forum - can't have that changing!

If you could let me know your DoB (you can e-mail me via my profile if you'd rather not post) I'll get an entry form sent off.
  • Options
    Blimey JEJ, i had no idea james was that fast! think i will stay injured for a bit!
  • Options
    Hail Hail

CRAB - there are still 3 timebombs yet to go off. Odeon and my good self (and another as yet unnamed person from this thread), are doing Edinburgh in 9 days time.

Odeon - I reckon that they've allocated race numbers on previous pb's since I've been given 121 (although I suspect that if my 2.46 from Paris had been taken into account, I would have been a bit lower). Thank goodness I wasnt allocated 118 - dinnae fancy doing the thing with a bushy moustache!!

Seem to have developed an inflamed tendon around my ankle - similar symptoms to shin splints. Hopefully the physio can sort it later today.
  • Options
    nj Get well soon.

RB Think the moustache would suit you - don't knock it until you've tried it son. Can see you bagging 2:45 in a Willie Miller sort of stylee - Mmmm nice ;o[)

Still feeling like horse poo so that's gonna be a 3 day rest period at least.

BTW I'm now a runner, who 'swims' occasionally, owns a bike and has had a 3 month Triathlon training plan prepared for him. Was looking at it last night and with sometimes 2 (two) rest days a week and probably less than 30 miles running not sure it's gonna get a lot of use before October - if ever.
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Always knew you had a thing for men in 'taches CRAB!! And tight lycra cycling shorts. And probably a studded black leather biker jacket for good measure.

Sorry I cannae help you.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    JEJ - must be a bit disconcerting finding a bloke at work who's faster than you. Reminds me of a couple of years back, when I was introduced to a new guy "who used to do a bit of running". Asked him what he did, and he said he was only into 5k's and 10k's. "Ever done a half marathon?", I ask innocently thinking he's just a bit of a charity runner.

"Only one...63 minutes. Won the British title with that". Turns out he ran in the Commonwealth Games for Wales back in the 90's. I was busy backtracking and disappearing off to the bar.

RB - always prefer numbers being issued on times rather than alphabetically. Had a no.3 this year @ Finchley and felt a bit self-conscious at the start. Once had no.2 at the Kingston marathon and people were pointing and muttering, "he must be good". I wasn't. Also had no.1 at last year's Marathon of Britain - didn't win overall, but won the final stage so felt I did it justice. Only thing I've won since the U13 X-country at school - 2.8 miles and I remember being well chuffed at doing the whole thing without walking!
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Crabbie, he may have a 9:30 IM to his name, but two days rest FFS !!!!! think you should use the cart-goose-youself-IM plan instead...

anyway, as usual, it would makes sense that your current horse-poo-situation had something to do with your womble-tastic 9:10 mins/mile attempt the other day..

I have a big time bomb going off in err, 7, fck me, weeks !!

no chance of a sub 3 in the M though, I'll be very lucky indeed not to be right at the bottom of the our 2006 league table.. bstrds...

Going for my first open water swim of the season this weekend (a couple of hours after 90mile bike race in the sperrin mountains !), in the lovely lough Neagh. The water is so clear there that when you put your hand out in front of you you can't see your elbow. Lovely, can't wait..bet its fck'in freezing aswell.

Rb, NJ, get better soon..
  • Options
    Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    CM- The wooden spoon will be mine, but the year is still young.....

Dan- Was looking at the MOB website yesterday.Might give it a go next year. Got a mate who did marathon des sables so he's good at all the kit and stuff which appears fairly crucial.

I'm from the "bring a mobile phone in case you get a puncture" school of preparation..

• Options
    good news is i'm back out running again and shin splints seem to have gone completely although PF and Achiles still there despite near on 5 weeks of virtually no running....i'll just try and keep them under cotrol as I ramp the mileage back up.

Onto my question. With the new arrival and having to help out around the house more getting the other 2 kids to bed etc I now have less time for runs int he evening and being pretty knackerd motivation is lacking too.

The opportunity is still there to get out at lunchtime though so this is what i've been doing....and here is the question.

Time is limited so what is going to give me the biggest bang for the buck ? I figure putting a few interval sessions in there will be more benefit than just wombling 5 times a week ? Or should I just womble and build a base again ?

Today I did a 10 min warm up 5x2min effort (with a sky high HR) off 90 sec recoveries with a warm down to jog back to work. It felt like hard work and the HR was certainly up where it needed to be for a VO2Max session so must have done me some good ?
  • Options
    Hail Hail

The trip to the physio while expensive <shock news - tight Scotsman not used to paying £25 per half hour!> was useful. I've got an inflamed retinaculum (the band which holds the peroneus and extensor muscles in place). Thankfully he reckons its not too serious - a few days rest, ice, compression socks, and gentle massage should do the trick. Just in time to rest properly for Edinburgh.

JEJ - FYI, my physio is Jon Travena (sp) who used to compete for the UK in Triathlon. Maybe you've come across him? Nice fella, and very good at his job.
  • Options
    Rb - glad to hear it's not serious, gotta keep up that one-marathon-a month schedule.

D07 - Tough one, and I don't claim to have a satisfactory answer. I think it probably depends what your aim is. I would probably give it a few weeks of wombling though just to get back into things before the intervals.

Just finished a very sweaty 18-miler for a 55-mile week. Biggest of the year so far for me, but still small fry for this thread.
  • Options
    Hail Hail

And the same to you CRAB. Although I agree wholeheartedly.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    d07, I'd go for 3/4 womble (now there is a surprise !!), 1/4 1-2 NADS with a smattering of pubes. Don't think there is much point in intervals at this time..

another weekend of no running for me replaced with more miles on the bike, did manage to run 5 times though from Mon-Fri. Did another bike race on Sunday, nice and hilly but hard work. Also did 60 miles on Saturday at my IM Bike HR on a slightly hillier course and came in a couple of pubes under 3 hours, which I'm delighted with.. still had plenty left. Think I'll extend that to 4 hours in a couple of weeks time.

Was looking at my training logs from this time last year, and I'm wombling nearly 1 minute a mile faster !
  • Options
    I won second prize in a beauty contest (or even 5km run) which means a new pair of New Balance trainers will be heading my way. Not sure which colour to go for though.

Time was only 17:25, but I have my doubts about course accuracy as it was almost identical (perhaps 3 - 400m short) to the route I'll be running on Thursday which is called a 3.5M race.

Also PB'd in 1500 and 3000SC on Sunday - 4:27 and 11:05 (shortly after).

Running a 2M race tonight, so looking for something close to 10 mins, if not under.

D07 - NADS every time, apart from the long one.
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    jej (pretty boy),
    "only 17:25"....gggrrrr.

I've booked my Portsmouth-St Malo ferry crossing today, so my cycle trip to Spain is on. Bring on the Pyrenees!

This thread seems to have turned into a cycling/tri thread anyway over the last couple of weeks.

I'll be treating my cycles to and from work as time trials over the next 6 weeks. Something like nads crushed rather than nads out (60:11 this morning; I need to check back, but my pb is about 48 minutes)
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Anyone else prepared to confess to running a bit faster than they'd want to when the pubs, pavements & towpaths are packed with people enjoying the sun outdoors?

Gentle 10 miler yesterday turned into a 6.15 m/m charge, which I'm quite happy with, considering at 3am I was staggering out of a kebab shop in Nottingham at the end of an arduous stag do starting at 11am at the cricket. A 16 hour session - good training for the world cup, but not necessarily the diet of champions.
  • Options
    JEJ - pbs by the dozen...was the 1500 another slow-run race?

DanA - ah the kebab-shops of Nottingham. I used to be an expert in em back in my student days....

But yeah I know what you mean - I think I've been cranking it up a bit now that the clothes have come off.

Where's your money for the cricket Dan? Good morning session for England..

Is it the first Yately this Wednesday?
  • Options
    NM2 - a very different race from the last one due to two junior GB runners tearing the pack apart after 50m. I settled into the next pack of 3 who stayed together until the end of lap 3, where the lead guy (who had just run a 15:20 5000m) sped up and me & t'other guy had no response. I stayed with him but he had a bit more than me down the last 100m.

Will try harder next Saturday and put in some hard work early on.
  • Options
    Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Still feeling a bit flat after flm, desperately need to book an autumn mara to get my arse into gear

NM2- Have you entered Yateley,there are no on the night entries.Who else was up for this?
    I'm in for the whole series, so first one Weds night hoping for around 37ish
  • Options
    Hail Hail

The book is now open for scores at Edinburgh for myself, Odeon, and the unnamed mystery guest.

FYI - the course is flat (by CRAB standards, not DN's), although there is a long (approx 15M) coastal section where the wind could be with us or against us. Long range weather forecast predicts 22C with low wind speed (that will prob change).

FWIW - my injury seems to have cleared up pretty much totally. I managed 14M this am with 5 @ MP. Target for myself is 2.43 (bit of leeway for the 2.45), but we'll see.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    RB - You've temptingly mentioned this unnamed mysery guest twice now - I am responding to the bait and in my failproof style 'Does his name begin with a A, does it being with a B, does it begin with a ', or maybe a new line of questioning, will this mystery guest be avoiding Italian food, this time?

GR - Know the feeling. First 2 hard sessions over the weekend for some time. Feeling a bit sharper and motivated again.

• Options
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Ooops!

OO - sorry I'm sworn to secrecy. Only the guarantee of a sub 2.45 will make me break my vow of silence.