Options

New York 2005 Superheroes over America

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, a meet sounds good... Btw, I have now, wisely or not, entered the Brussels Marathon, Oct 10.

Good Luck with the Orkney running Ian. If it wasn't so dismal here in Bristol, I'd be out running now...

• Options

Back on the road!

I'm up to two miles now. I plan to stick to that for a while until some sort of rhythm and speed materialises.

A meet in September sounds good!

• Options

Hi Gang. Working in the NHS, I came across this article today.

[u]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10838343[/u]

Hanneke, in particular, please take note, and read the fine detail.

Good luck with all who are running now or soon. I'm doing the Machen Mountain run Bank Hol monday. Hope I'm not as dismal as last year...

• Options
    Back from holiday in Spain. A level and GCSE results all in. Now I've got to go back to work!
  • Options
    You can't just tell us that Howard, and not give us a clue as to if you're at least satisfied with the results.....

I ran 5.5 miles on Sunday, and 7.5m last Tuesday..better pack in, before it gets a habit... altho if the rain keeps off I should run now... ah, sod it, food first... I'm off for beers at 8.. gotta get my priorities right... Working at Devizes 2moro and thurs..Bristol fri, then off for 12 days.

The dreaded Machen Mountain run on Monday.... hope it's sunny... some hope!
  • Options

So there is still some life here. Good to hear from you. I am still trying to delay the onset of gravity/ageing/muscle fatigue. Ipswich Half Marathon this Sunday  followed by a PB on the following Saturday. PB is guaranteed as this will be my first 12 mile race. Takes place in Westray one of the islands of Orkney. All this in preparation for Berlin Marathon at end of September which will be preparation for Athens at end of October.

Howard I assume GCSEs and A levels are for your children. I trust they are all well.

• Options

OK I was just trying not to be too proud a father!

Rosa's A levels: A in PE, A in History and A* in Politics. This gets her in to her first choice University (Sheffield) to study Politics.

Ella's GCSEs: One A and 10 A*s. There is a post mortem about what went wrong with the Spanish image !

• Options
    Well done Rosa and Ella. Mother's genes obviously except for Spanish.
  • Options
    Wow! - well done HRR brood. Yes, bit slack on the Spanish there..... Be Proud Howard... there may not be toooo many more times you can take credit for their achievements... but try anyway..

Good luck Ian .. tomorrow is it? Well done on the Half.

I did similar time to last year's Machen Mountain run, so can't complain... hmm, nor can I train hard enough, apparently....
  • Options
    Bisgeo 12 Mile Run in Westray,Orkney. A PB for this my first 12 mile run-1:50. Very hilly especially the final 2 miles-whose idea was that? No goody bag or medal at the end instead we had to make do with fantastic free barbeque with cpoious amounts of beer, wine etc. Then a celebration party in the evening. They know how to enjoy themselves up here!
  • Options
    Fold up and Frame your number with your time written on it Ian, for your momento.

Darned respectable time for 12m tho, especially a hilly one.... compares favourably with, nay knocks spots off, my 20 mile time for yesterday.... at 4 hours, mainly because I had no energy to run the hills... and walked most of the 1500 foot up from 10 to 13 miles. Oh well... all good time on my feet, and strengthening. ....surprisingly pain free today... ?
  • Options

Well done Ged, good effort......and see you tomorrow  :¬D

• Options
    Was great to meet up with my ol' friend Supes again.. had some good times this weekend, beers n such, and apparently we both felt inspired to run this evening.

ok, I ran 10 miles tonight, the last 6 of which were in my pet hate of rain and wind, in a total of 1h38m.. still off my desired pace, but enough to get me under the cut-off time, if I can maintain it...

I may try to fit in more runs this week, no more than a 9-miler, and I have Swansea 10K next sunday, and lpool 10k the week after, for a lil speedwork
  • Options

Yes it was a good time Ged. I managed 9 miles in just under 9 mins per mile, in windy but dry conditions yesterday afternoon. Have a hill race on Sunday, only 4.5 miles but very hilly, off road  to the highest point on the South Downs, up and down 3 times. Looking forward to it though.

:¬D

• Options
    Hope I'm not getting addicted, but did 2 loops of Ashton Ct in Bristol tonight... It's about a mile and a quarter steepish uphill, then flattish and downhill, 32mins per loop, 3.7m each, so 7.5miles in the end... That would make 38 miles in 8 days. good grief! - I better retire... too much for the like of me.....
  • Options
    Tonight, I ran down the dreaded Talbot hill in Bristol from the water tower to the A4 (0.4mile), and back up again.... five times.... only 4 miles total... but out of breath and sweaty? - you bet... 41 minutes, by the way.
  • Options
    Ok.... Swansea 10K@ 1pm tomorrow... I'm so far off my sprint pace, I'm not sure what to do... My initial thoughts are to set, but not look at my Garmin til the end, and start near the front, and just get carried along with the leaders. lol.

It's important for me to maybe get about a mile or so warm up before the start, as it's usually a mile and a quarter before I loosen up enough to relax into my pace, and get my joints going.

Don't quote me, but maybe I'll stretch tonight.
  • Options
    Hi Gang. Just reporting in... Swansea 10k in 48.55.. best I could do on the day.
    753rd out of 2863... ie 26.3% Not bad. Let's say, at this stage, I'm satisfied. Think I blew a better time by getting to mile 1 in 7.09.
  • Options
    Something like 52.30 at a VERY wet Liverpool 10K.. They say results were up yesterday, but darned if I can access them. Happily, altho soaked through, it was literally like a jog in the park for me, so hopefully that will bode well for me on Sunday.... Have had to put up with 2 days so far of students sneezing all over me... hope I can weather that until after the race.

• Options

Ged,

I believed you survived the Brussells Marathon. Report please!

• Options
    Sorry all..yes, sorely disappointed with my performance..

Ok.... confession time for me... I had a bad 'un ... was at Halfway, the Diploma says, at 2.06... I was feeling fresh as a daisy at 14, even 19K, then I think I saw the uphill on the other side of the road, and lost all willpower and energy.... I just wanted to quit... but I don't DO quitting, so had to struggle on.... One major mistake for me was to wear shorts, which I don't usually... I reckon the first 3/4 of the race was in shade, so my leg muscles got cold, and tired too early on.. I'd like to make the excuse that the minute I set foot on the Eurostar in St Pancras, I started sneezing, and then suffered with a headcold til the start of the race, when it seemed to miraculously leave me.. oh well, but I reckon it still zapped my energy a bit... Anyhow, I finished in 4.39 too... was so disappointed, hardly even acknowledged my girl's 'well done!' because I really didn't feel it was...

The water was a bit misleading, and I succumbed to that, but the other flavoured stuff did appear to have the dreaded aspartame in, which I left alone... I made do with some Vimto rope sweets I carried, and the odd banana slice, altho most offered was too green to bite...

I strive to do a Marathon which made me as proud as Amsterdam... Not sure how i'll manage it, but am ear-marking Paris 2011 for now, and see how I feel maybe next week.

I WAS going to do Stroud Half next weekend, but am trying to re-coup some dignity, and just looked at last year's 2.06 time, and the unflat profile, and have decided against it.
  • Options
    I am considering the 10K at Stratford Airfield on Nov 20.
  • Options

Ged,

Every Marathon finished is a triumph, it certainly is for me. Perhaps we could meet up in the near future although after Athens on the 31st Oct I am being dragged off by Mrs ITC to New Zealand for 5 weeks. As she is in charge of packing I will have to make sure she packs my ASics. Perhaps I should just wear them on aircraft.

Perhaps in the New Year. Any decent half Marathons?

• Options
    Sorry not to have posted more. I've been quite busy and Dad's had a stroke so spending some time in Yokshire.
  • Options
    Supes - how ahave you got on with the storms this week? I hear that there was flooding near you.
  • Options

Hello Howard There was certainly a lot of rain here recently flooding was mostly over in the east. Emsworth flooded quite badly, luckily my mother moved out of there the week before. Hope you dad is recovering ok.

I'm running the glamorous Gosport Half on Sunday, first long run for a couple of years, hopefully keep the fitness levels up for a full marathon in the spring.

• Options

Hello folks

Ran 1: 51: 55 in Gosport Half last Sunday, very please as thats 4 minutes quicker than 2 years ago. Now interested in breaking that 4 hour marathon mark again, just need to stay injury free and i know i can do it.

Hope you are all well.

Supes

• Options
    I'm doing fine. But haven't run since Brussels.... pressures of work, dark and cold nights... etc.. my usual excuses... Sorry not to have popped in here for ages,,,,

Hope your dad is ok Howard?

Glad to hear you weathered the storms Supes, and well done on that time.

Still considering Dusseldorf Marathon in May, but no training plan as yet.

Work is very busy.. just coming to end of Phase 2, with Phase 3 starting in Jan.. Contracts extended to end June now, with a view to further extension.

Good Luck all in all your endeavours
  • Options

Dad out of hospital and now in a nursing home. He probably won't walk again and he can't really remember that he had a stroke a coupele of months ago I've been up to Yorkshire a rew times and he always remembers me straight away which is something. I hate nursing homes but this one seems ok; the staff a very friendly. He seems quite confused but also quite settled in a way.

I'm in light training at the moment. Two runs a week, each of about 3.5 miles. Foot doesn't hurt at all when running but tends to feel a bit sore for the next 24 hours after.

• Options
    Keep up the green gel on that foot Howard.

Too cold for me to run.

Looks like an interesting bit of footy soon... I suspect Liverpool's current form will impact on the result... image
    15 Dec, 20:05 Liverpool v FC Utrecht Europa League