Options

Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

Comments

• Options

Boffin

Lots of calf exercises I also use a step to do calf raises with knee straight and then bend 15 times@5 sets of each.I do have a sheet I can email to you if you want?

I know no blood supply so takes for ever usually 3 months after flare upimage my latest flare up was after hill reps my first time in 9 years only to find the Achilles hates hill work/speed work and off road  and only yesterday did it feel no pain  and stiffness which is around 10 weeks from incident.

So all my training is aerobic based but at least I can run

Ah yes so true cheap and easy to cook even in the microwave if no oven or limited time.

I think our motto here should be NO GETTING INJURED

6 miles nice and easy this morningimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

I have managed to avoid injury for a while .... touch wood.... because i usually always go slowly in training and save going fast for races..........

I managed a mile in the pool this morning..........still hate indoor swimming but needs must sometimes....

• Options

Morningimage

I am sure it would be helpful Poppy, if you would like to email it that would be very niceimage My email is still the same as it has been for years.

Good news you did hill reps and your achilles is fine - good moto, can't fault it image

Great plan Seren, well done avoiding injury. I doubt I could manage a mile in a pool - unless it was a mile deep!!image

• Options

Well done Seren great session and good news on injury.

Boffin

Must check if I have your email addressimage

It was Hill reps that set it off so can no longer do them.

13.2 miles this morning longest to date along to Langland bay along cliff path steep uphill and vertical downhill slow but completed.

I am off to soak my weary bones  and eatimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

Morning - just!

Back from holiday in Spain - managed to escape the rain here! Did have one run out there although Achilles not ready yet; opted for walking each day instead image

• Options

Sounds like you had a great holiday Boffinimage

I am down with a virus so no running since Wednesday but in throat and so tired I am sleeping 12 hours a day.I always get a virus after travelling on a congestive train.My poor throat is on fire.Good job i never entered Cardiff 10k!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

Morningimage

It was a good holiday - much needed break image

Pity you have a sore throat - I find sore throats most miserable image Easy enough to rest an Achilles; different story for a throat!

• Options

Afternoon

Did you get the email I sent you?

10 days and still no runningimage so i am on lemon, honey and whisky to kill the thing

12 days till LV and 4.5 weeks till Cardiffimage..Cardiff I will be there as booked hotel and no chance of refund as a cheap deal.

So how is life? still leaving in same place?

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

hope you finally recover WP...

I did the big woody triathlon on the weekend.we were lucky it was saturday and so a lovely day out in the forest of dean...pleased i finished as swim and bike training have been minimal this year....

Monday I did the Machen fell race as its local and short....I am suppossed to be start training again on road but I just want to keep running offroad all the time....I think I am addicted to all the walk breaks  image  

• Options

Morningimage

Yes I got your email thanks Poppy - lots of good advice there image

Keep up the lemon and honey; double the whisky and you won't mind so much!image

LV? I am out of the loop and have no idea what this is? Like as not you will be fine for Cardiff - at worst you will have a good day out as Cardiff is a lovely city. If you are not up for racing, it is probably still worth run walking for the miles and to help along some others who may be doing a 10k for the first time.

We moved from Caerphilly five years ago; we are now further North into the hills - we bought a small farm in Carmarthenshire! Adorable countryside although not so good for road running as all hills and narrow lanes with no street lighting or pavements / cycle paths.

Saw you posts on fb Seren - fantastic image Lot of support to show walking breaks are the way to go.

• Options

I hope you are doing some of the exercisesimage

Ah yes the wonders of Whisky I don't even like it but it is working feeling lots better so much I ran 5 miles this morning and they were fast for me .......

It is the half marathon in Cardiffimage I will just enjoy the day,that is what i did in Swansea helped another runner get aroundimage

Lake Vryweny(I can not spell it for toffee)

Boffin!! a farm you are a farmer, wow big change for you how do you manage with your back? do you have sheep,cows,pigs,ducks,geese,goats,chickens.

What part of Carmarthinshire it is such a big county my husband was born and brought up there and we said we will go back to live there if we can ...he lived in small village and the village is still the same untouched.

Sounds not so good for runningimage but I also don't think you have the time..unless you have lots of farm hands to do the workimage

Seren

Wow you were busy over the weekend sounds amazing well done recover wellimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

Morningimage

Good your cold is improving Poppy image Half marathon; even betterimage One of the sensible (not counting your distances Seren!!!) distances I have never raced - maybe one day? Good to pass on support Poppy if you are not on form yourself, likely you can help someone else - good stuff image

Accidental farmer Poppy; we were looking for a cottage with a couple of acres to have the odd chicken etc and a bit of the 'Good Life' or 'River Cottage'. We had an allotment in Caerphilly which fanned the flames as it were. We ended up buying a derelict cottage in it's own derelict grounds - rather more land than we were looking for, but more is good?

Reduced the cottage to a shell and rebuilt it (with the assistance of contractors!) with me living in a touring caravan in the farm yard project managing!

Exciting times, and now attention has turned to the land - bigger job than an allotment and garden! We have an administrator, farm manager, maintenance crew, labourer, dogs body... oh, they would be me then! So the staff consists of myself and the CEO - Sweetie image The children do make great sheepdogs when the occasion requires, other than that they have their own interests to follow image

Routinely we have hens, sheep and cattle but have had pigs in the past and ducks and geese are on the horizon.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/61609_127434947307783_7372847_n.jpg?oh=bafb98b6d444e896964b19a9135df60e&oe=5679D930

Self sufficiency is the aim; most of the stock does get sold at regular livestock markets to enter the food chain, but I also take such animals as we need to the abattoir for our own freezer.

Our children were young when we moved here and they have had the opportunity to know exactly where their food comes from be it home grown or supermarket purchased; they have a good knowledge of how the food chain works. 

• Options

It sounds perfect...I am not telling Alun because that is what he has always wanted us to do...even down to the caravan in the yard.......but it is great for you all to live the dream sounds like hard work but worthwhile no wonder you have no time for running!!

So crops go on do tell

We are still awaiting allotment 6 years and still waiting!

10 mile run yesterday so rest day todayimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

boffins life sounds much harder than my training  image

I did parkrun yesterday and was a minute quicker than a fortnight ago..so hopefully my speed will return slowly/....

beautiful day today so was out with cycling club....went with the nice and steady group  image

• Options

Afernoonimage

Well done Seren; a minute off - always nice to meet goals image All those cross training  miles will put you in good stead and ward off the more common injuries.

It was a lovely day yesterday, so opted for a day out at Aberystwyth with the family - not all hard work image

Only crop we grow on a large scale is grass for grazing and making hay or haylidge for winter feed. We do have a cottage garden where we grow allsorts of things - regular veggies (peas, beans, salads and roots), corn, squashes including pumpkins, regular brassicas and also chard. I have a few experimental (for me) crops on the go for the cattle; various species of sugar beet and I tend to pinch whatever has overgrown for them as well - although Sweetie complains when I pinch her veggies for the animals! I figure we will get them back as meat and I would much rather eat meat than veggies - especially those dreaded courgettes and sprouts!!

All exciting stuff image

• Options

We love Aberystwyth even went on holiday up that way and was swimming or paddling in the seaimage Borth we have stayed there twice a nice place to stay as you can go on for trips outimage

Aha you do not like Courgettes and sprouts any excuse to feed them to your animalsimage nice haul of crops well doneimage

My LV race number has arrived and Cardiff this morning just need Swansea 10k to arrive as spur of the moment entry I had till midnight and at 10pm decided to go for itimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

Morningimage

Was actually Borth Animalarium we went to Poppy image - They even have a couple of lions - big cats in Borth!! They are actually far too big an animal to have in a compound - probably Marwelll is as small a compound as big cats should have to endure in captivity... even that is debatable.

Spur of the moment is the way to go - act now and repent at leisureimage I am sure you would have regretted not entering if you didn't - you are sure to have a good race image

Did you tell me what LV was?

• Options

I did say BoffinimageLake Vyrnwy which was yesterday 1pm start 2.12 for me I wanted quicker if I am honest but had a great day lots of banter with Dudley runners and a sprint finish.

10k Sunday

I have picked lots of raspberries yum yum

Aha we never visited although had planned too big cats!!!...I just disagree with keeping animals in cages/compounds

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

Morning image

Ah, old brain Poppy! 2:12 sounds a good time, so long as it got your circulation going and you enjoyed the day out - faultless image

Lots of us are guilty of keeping animals in confinement; I have kept tropical fish since I was a teenager - can't say even my huge 4' fish tank is any comparison to a river! Domestic cats are probably the only pet animals to have free roam. As for farming; animal welfare may well be on the agenda, but it is hardly ideal. The solution is reduce the global human population, give up modern living and the benefits of society and return to hunter gathering and living in caves - just don't fancy it myself!

• Options

No I don't fancy that either.......image

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

Back from a long weekend in pembrokeshire supporting at Ironman wales........ready for bed now  image

• Options

Hope you managed to put those 'essential supplies' I saw on FB to good use Serenimage Must be novel for you to be supporting not taking part?

Quite agree Poppy; society may be far from perfect, but it beats living in a cave!image

• Options

Seren

I had a few friends doing IMW I would have loved to have supported as sounded a hootimage

4 miles recovery this morning...who replaced my legs with lead....image I am still tired but getting there have to be tiptop for Sunday!!

Boffin

Exactly where would one put ones running kit collection in a caveimage

Have you been doing the Achilles exercises?

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

I forgot to say i did a parkrun whilst down there.........near amroth/..... a lovely little offroad one in National Trust grounds......really enjoyed it  image

• Options

Morningimage

The joys of a campervan Seren; able to do park runs on tour and have a shower afterwards - good for you image

Yes Poppy, I am doing various Achilles exercises - although to be honest I more often forget than remember... think it may take me a long time!! -  That's it then, caves are out; no room for running kit!image

• Options

no shower or toilet in my van... but my campsite had them  image

I spent today down in swansea and will be there Tuesday, Thursday and friday next week.....glad i didnt enter the 10k now  image

• Options

Boffin

Try to be vigilant with exercises....they will helpimage...especially as it seems races give technical t-shirts these days ones running kit collection is increasingimage

That is a lot of time here in Swansea Seren

Shame no shower or toilet..........

10k tomorrow........nervous me 9 years since last 10k I think it is going to hurt

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

good luck poppy

• Options

Thanks Seren....57.58  garmin timeimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

Morningimage

Been busy the past few days..

Good time there Poppy, you should be pleased with that - no longer been 9 years since your last 10k image

So long as your campsite had them then you are sorted Seren image