Options

Bromley and Surrounding Areas

Comments

• Options

It'll dry out Ashley - don't panic!

Hols sound fab btwimage

• Options

I'm starting to chicken out of the PW 10k.  As a new runner, I thought it would be good to have a goal to aim for but my running/training went completely out the window when I made two trips to Chicago in September.  Though I managed to do some running the first week I was there, my body clock got completely messed up and I was exhausted. 

So I'm thinking - maybe it's just too early to attempt a 10k (I've never done a running race before).  Especially as I'm not even up to running 20mins straight yet.  I am working through a beginner's schedule but I'm back at week 5 or 6 or something.

The running is still hard but it's getting easier and I can run for longer before I need to stop.

Sherry

• Options

If you've already paid to enter, I would give this a go, y,know - you have little to lose, and even if you walked all of it which you're not going to do, I expect you would not be last.

It's a pretty route and will be great fun. 

• Options

I'm going to give it a go although I'm wearing in the orthotics I've been prescribed post London.   Will be going at my usual slow pace but it will be a pretty route so it's worth giving it a go.   

• Options

Did a recce yesterday of the route - were any of you the chap who passed us and tried to give us a flyer for it?  Am sorry if we were rude!  Don't think our brains had caught up with our legs image

But, the route is lovely, does contain some updulations, but made up for by some lovely long gentle downhills.  Nice mix of road, trail, and paths through the woods.  Don't think its a PB course, but I got one of those last week, so not botheredimage.

Anyway, I will be slow Piglet and Sherry (over 1 hour) and a couple of my friends are supposed to be doing it and they're 1 hour 10- 1 hour 15 10Kers, so there will be a good party at the backimage

• Options

btw - no mud left - all dried up.  So as long as it doesn't rain too much this week...

And road shoes will be the way to go - too much tarmac for trail shoes, and the off road bits are nice and smooth, even the footpaths up the side of the field

• Options

Hello Piglet, will be nice to see you again!

Thanks for the info, TT - road shoes it is then image

I hope Ashley's not getting cold feet - I'm turning up for the birthday cake!

Mr P, are you coming along to this jolly?  Current thinking is that a 10K the week before a marathon is a good thing, and it'll get rid of all that taper angst too!

• Options

Did a reccie yesturday and Saturday.

Course has dried out nicely and with 70f forecast for midweek the final couple of bits should be dried out.

Still not sure about 41 now as my left calf was in a lot of pain yesturday but Im pleased to say I completed the course close to 43 minutes so if the gods shine there is still a chance... (hahahaha)...

Having seen the credit card bill this month the champa's is being replaced with Cava!

Looking forward to this one.

Sherry the course is lovely, its mainly through woods and the hill whilst long is not very steep... better still its bordered by a field of sheep (assuming I ran the right way!)... As Snoops says its worth doing as you've entered. Take it easy and simply enjoy yourself...

• Options

Yes - that was the right way Ashley - the sheep were looking at us very, very strangely yesterday.  So much so that we had to stop and laugh at them and check out whether they were in fact staring at us

(they were!)

You may still get that 41 mins Ashley!

• Options

Fingers crossed, but even if I dont I will still have improved greatly on where I was a year ago so can't knock that.

Will be interesting to see so many supporters there on the day all bleeting away and cheering us on!!!!

• Options

Hey, you don't get away with it that easily, Ashley.

You promised us all a celebration of your b/d with 'poo; that is, before you decided to blow your budget on warm weather training and a holiday in Spain.

So, no rubbishy Cava - let's have the real stuff, and put it on the plastic!  

• Options
    From your other post about pitbulls do you still want poo?image
  • Options
    Me thinks thats best left in Thanetimage
  • Options

Looking out the window today, looks like the PW 10k is going to be a little muddy.  For those who know the circuit, where's the best place for supporters to stand and cheer on the runners?

Sherry

p.s. definitely not doing the race - though this forum's kind words of encouragement and support nearly tempted me to change my mind (I'd not actually entered - too disorganised of late) but will be doing Sevenoaks 5K in Knole Park in a couple of weeks' time

• Options

Should dry up before the weekend - looks as if the weather is going to be warm and sunny for the rest of the week.

Sure we can't persuade you Sherry?

for supporters, I guess the best place to wait would be at the start and round those roads near the recreation ground, cos we go round there a couple of times.  Otherwise the route goes down the main path in Petts Wood, which would be a nice place to stand.

• Options

btw, unless its absolutely boiling I'll be wearing my Fetch shirt, so will be very noticeableimage

If it is boiling, will be wearing a bright yellow vest top - so still noticeableimage

• Options

TT funny that as I will be wearing a Bright yellow top as well no matter what the weather!!!!  My number is 41.

Sherry B

I agree with TT regards viewing... the majority of the course is in the woods so viewing may be a little more difficult. That said there is a cut through from the roads into the woods if I recall correctly (you go under the railway track) so you could see the start, middle and end without deviating more than around 1/2mile... Snoops can you confirm this please

• Options

Yes, there is an underpass footpath for the railway line, at the junction of Birchwood and Hazelmere Roads, about two hundred yards from Willetts Recreation Ground from where the race starts, which is quite convenient for getting to view the latter parts of the race quickly.

We call it Dog Poo Alley (there we go again!!), or Turd Tunnel....for obvious reasons.

• Options

Watch where you put your feet then Sherry!

I shall be in my yellow top as well, although mine will have Epsom written across the blue strip image

Got my number in today's post #386, gave the dog a bit of a shock it thought it'd seen the back of the postman!

• Options
    With what the Communication Union is doing these days, your doggy wont see many more postmen in the future, as there wont be any letters left for the Royal Mail to deliver.
  • Options

Yes I know Dog Poo Alley well ...

thanks

Sherry

• Options

I went to watch the 10k on Sunday in Jubilee Park as we live very close by - what lovely weather it was - a friend did it and said it was harder than she'd expected; heavy-going and more hills than she thought.  She's an experienced runner.

We got there a little late (trying getting a 2yr old and a 5yr old out of the house on time) so we missed the front runners.  Kept an eye out for Birthday Boy No 41 - didn't see you Ashley so you must have been up at the front!

Cheered on the backmarkers.  Really glad I didn't do it, as I'm most definitely not up to it yet however looking forward (sort of) to the 5k in Knole Park.  Just three weeks to go.

Sherry

• Options

Hi, folks.

Back from Amsterdam marathon - flat course, but the town/night life is more interesting than the run itself.

Now to concentrate on X country and shorter stuff. 

How did Lausanne go, Mr P?

• Options

Great to see everyone still out training and racing hard!

I've been away from the forums for a couple of months getting married and all sorts but finally knuckling down to some training.  I've kept the swimming and cycling going with Tri club but running has sort of drifted away from me. I also managed to shift almost 2 stone over the summer so looking forward to some speedy times coming my way....hopefully!

Right, off to Body Pump to try and put on some muscle.....grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

• Options

Hi Fliss - congratulations on being made an honest woman, finally..

(wonder what she's been doing so much to shift 2 stones?) 

• Options

Honeymoon????

Well done Flipper great to see you back and congratulations.

• Options

Thanks guys - only took him 9 years to get round to asking!!!!!

I'm thinking Dartford 10M should be my first race as a Mrs -  is anyone else planning on doing this one? 

• Options

Congratulations Fliss!  xx

I am intending to do Dartford - and Ashley said at the PW 10K he'd be doing Dartford too, didn't you Ashley?!  So see you there, you can flash your rings at me! image

• Options

Congratulations Fliss!!!

I may well do Dartford - have been looking for a 10 miler for a while (then 2 come along at once - but never mind!)