Options

Bromley and Surrounding Areas

Comments

• Options

Thanet, yep will be doing the 10 miles in December, and I expect the Half on 7th September and 15 mile Quicksand on 21st as part of our Beachy Head training.

Flipper, 3 to four times a week!!!! Thats more than me.. If I get out four its a mega week, once or twice is the norm. Good luck with the exams.

• Options
    Snoop DoggSnoop Dogg ✭✭✭

Hi, Flips! LTNS! That's good working out, by the sound of it!

Indeed, No Fannit, but doing a lot of others, and have put in for Abingdon Marathon in October to try and get sub 3hr 45mins.

Good luck at Peckham next weekend and for the zams in June - I'll be doing the Sevenoaks Seven then - always a goodie!  Must book you for a massage sometime.

• Options

hello all - how are things?

beachy head? takes me back!  enjoy, ashley, its a brilliant event!

snoops, fliss, everyone keeping things ticking over - good to hear

typing is a mess at the mo coz i fell off my bike a few weeks ago and am using one finger. currently re-plannng my season.

finished london in 4.09 - delighted with that given that i did zero training during april after a bash in the ribs during a footy match with the year 11s.

• Options

Just joined Bromley Vets and took part in a South East ENgland athletics meet at the weekend.  Got selected for the A team and came in 6th out of 12 so well pleased with that. Complpete 3k in 11 minutes exactly.

Wow Pathfinder well done, and snoops sub 3.45??? going for Good for Age ? 

• Options

Sounds like speed is your thing Ashley - congratulations on being selected for the A Team!

I've been out of action again having to undergo a spot of surgery but permission given to start running again this week and after 8 weeks off, it's flippin' tough!  I think this is the longest I've ever had off and I feel like a total beginner again!  Pretty much written this year off for any PB's and am just hoping to get the mileage up again.

Hope everyone's doing well

Flips

• Options

Well on the back of the 11 minute 3k I got invited as an Elite Runner to take part in a Kent Masters race. The fastest recorded track times were taken from various league races and a race line of around 30 was established this weekend to race ove a one mile multi terrain course. 

I couldn't believe it when I was invited and thought that maybe it was a chance to have a go at breaking the 6 minute barrier.

Fantastic afternoon yesturday with Big Tim from the Forum in attendance (now I knew this was not a play event with the like of him taking part this was going to be a serious event with some top quality runners.

The Senior rce was awe inspiring with the first runner completing the course in 4.01 and I think the first 6 all finishing under 4.15 - oh to be young and under 40...

So how did I fair, well I gave it my best shot and thought at an outside maybe 5.30 was a goal that would see me take last place, but that was going to be a tall order.

I stayed with the front pack in site (I think 4 runners, then Tim then myself and someone from Sevenoaks).

In the last 800m someone came out of no where and dissappeared into the distance while the Sevenoaks guy speeded up and overtook me. I kept in his wake until the final 100m and put on one of my sprints... it became a 100m sprint to the finish line but Im pleased to say I pipped him at the post (just) completing the course in a 5.16...

I couldn't believe the time and checked my Garmin, the distance had to be wrong but sure enough that recorded 1 mile and confirmed the time.... Im waiting to confirm my place but I think I was around 7th...

Now if I actually put in some training do you think I can push it that little bit more and get a sub 5?  I think maybe just maybe there is now an outside chance that it could just be possable...But dont expect any more than one mile out of me though. I went home last night and did a further 6 miles with Lynda, struggling to keep up with her at a 9 minute mile pace!

• Options
    Snoop DoggSnoop Dogg ✭✭✭

I'd nearly forgotten about this thread - seems like there's some life in the old dear yet!

Hiya everybody! There's still some of us around then.

I'm doing various events and off to the Milland Trail 14 in Hants this w/e - did the Dartford Half last week. 

Yes, it must be hard Flips to get going again after such a lay off, but keep at it Gal.

And well done Ashley  - seems like short stuff is your bag! 

• Options

got that one right but then you always said I was a short middle distance runner and not a long distance person.

good luck in Milland

• Options

Yes - it was always obvious from the way you set out to maintain a fast pace on long runs that you didn't like slow stuff - it was a long time coming, but it seems to have worked for you.

Now me...I like 10 milers and half marathons - not particularly keen on anything longer, but I'll give most things a go. 

• Options

Hi, Ashley

Are you down to do the Petts Wood 10k on 12 October? Can't remember if you ran it last year.

• Options

i did run last year. It was my 41st birthday.

Not planning to run it this year though.

Plans are Beachy Head (entered but may pull out as Lynda has developed Planta Fascietous (I Think )... Hastings marathon.

What about you - marshalling Again?

• Options

That would be Plantar Fascitis - sounds nasty!

Yes, I shall be marshalling it again - all PWR's have to do their bit.

Beachy is always a hard one to do, but I shall be missing it this year. 

• Options

'Hi' to anyone still around this thread.

Did the Abingdon marathon on Sunday in a 'not too bad' 4'09", and generally busy with a three-runs-a-week schedule.

Got a place in FLM for next year, so it'll all start again in January.

Anyone else still getting out there? 

• Options

Yep. Walking Beachy Head. Lack of training!

Looking forward to Hastings Marathon - for the medal.

And yep in London next year... wonder if I will manage to crack 4 hours! A 5 minute mile has now been achieved in training but theres a hell of a difference between one 5 minute mile and 26 9 minute miles....

Tortoise or Hare ?image

• Options

How did Beachy go then?

See you at London. I shall be aiming for around 5 hours or so, but haven't decided in what guise yet I shall be doing it next time around.

Someone did suggest to me that I could be novel and do FLM as a runner with vest and shorts, but that's too weird to even contemplate.

• Options

Not a pleasent thought you dressing up in skimpey lycra !!!!

Beachy Head was fantastic, what a course. We (as planned) walked it with little jogs down hill and through the boring bits (there weren't any!)...

I wouldn't want to run the course though....

Had a great day out with even the weather being fantastic (unlike some of my colleagues who were up north sleepng in a water logged car having had to quite thier marathon - still he has done 74 before and L2B three weeks ago coming in 17th so what do you expect hahahaha!!!

Next outing Hastings. Aim to complete the course and enjoy it. Be even better to get sub 4 but hell we all know my distance ain't thons, although thongs is a good idea.

• Options

..better that surely than some of those Borat style mankinis that were the fashion at several summer races this year. 

Hastings will be slow, which you'd know if you've ever done the H Half.

• Options

Went out yesturday and did your famous Rushmore Hill loop, starting in the Knoll heading down to Priory Gardens and up to the M25 roundabout dropping down to Knokholt Station before picking up Rushmore Hill loop. I veered off to Downe, then Keston Ponds through to the Wyvale Garden Centre, continued down to A21 before heading back to Farnborough and a stretch along the High Street. 20 miles exactly in 2 hours 50.  For my sins I then went out and did another 6 miles in the evening!!!

I can't imagine Hastings being any worse than Rushmore Hill there are some nasty stretches on that course and my Garmin showed total assents of around 3000 foot.... I think BB is circa 4000.

Still 20 miles is the easy part, its the last 6 that are the killer!

Been away for a week and got some nice desert runs in. Mad dogs and English Men, I set off at 10am and raced a camel train through the desert in 40C. Fantastic.... I came across a bunch of American Tourists on thier camel rides and told them I had lost my camel and was running back to see if I could get another... boy did they fall for it! image

One month to go and time to taper, Going to see if I can limit to max of 13 miles with Chris group on a Tuesday night (not this Tuesday though!)

• Options

Coincidence - I went over to Tunisia a fortnight ago and went warm weather training in the Sahara - really quite a change from the streets of Orpington.

Have entered Paris and London (yet again - the sixth time I've doubled up!) in April, so you can expect to see me doing some long distance runs around the borough - not twice in one day though - you're just loopy (no change there then! image)

So when's the next mob match?

• Options

Nice to see you boys are still doing crazy races!

I'm still plodding along but a bit more in to the cycling and swimming now so my run times are the same now as they were 8 years ago! 

I didn't get FLM place but am doing Dartford 10M in Jan and Brighton 1/2 in Feb.

I had a mail from Meg recently and she's keen to meet up so maybe we can meet up for a plod in the new year?

• Options

Hi, Fliss - see you've got a yellow flaggy thingy by your name - Plummy has one of those too! Ooh arhhh, me hearties!! image

It'll be good to meet up for a plod with Meg after Christmas - let us know a couple of dates.

And see you at the Dartford 10. I'll be there.

• Options

Finally beat my dreaded 4 hour marathon yesturday at Hastings... a whole 45 minutes off my PB set in the Kent Coastal way back in 2003... and a stagering 2 hours 15 minutes off my last marathon in Disney... not to mention a whole hour off my London time in 2002 and 2004.

3 hours 27 minutes 27 seconds.  190th place out of the 1900 entrants and 1175 finishers.

The course due to the hills was advised to be equivalent to a 27 mile course so Im hoping to improve on this time for London.

Strange as I didn't do anywhere near as much training as previously but i think this time round was quality.  Rushmore Hill and the Cudham loop in the pouring rain certainly worked. 

Taking advise from all and sundry my milage was pretty much give or take 10 seconds a mile consistant the whole way round at a hairs whisker under 8 minutes per mile, not bad given the hills in the first half, and the second and the shingle at mile 21.

Great to see you around Fliss

For me - a well earned rest this week, a 10 mile fancy dress cross country on Sunday then the same on Christmas day and a run on New Years day... then time to start planning London in April...

• Options

There y'go, then. Just shows what ye can do when not bogged down with all that emotional baggage.

I still can't get my head round why you wanna get round London fast though. It's so hard to get into the bugger in the first place; some people have to wait five years or more...and then you want to see it over with as quickly as you can! Makes NO sense that.

On the other hand, I shall be stringing it out to five hours or thereabouts, as per usual. 

• Options

Happy New Year

If its like 2004 I will want to get round quickly to keep warm !

• Options

That must have been my red indian chief year - it rained a lot then, I recall.

C'mon Fliss - where are you?

• Options

Happy New Year. And good luck with the marathon training.

I am running steadily and have been injury free for four months now -touch wood, long may it continue. I am building it up steadily as I am targeting a half marathon in the Autumn. Speed and distance wise I am not yet back to a standard where I could join you but maybe later in the year I shall be better placed to keep pace with you on one of your spring runs. In the meantime, I continue to plod around solo although I have discovered that there's a mid-week running club at Canary Wharf for a bit of an extra push.

• Options

Well done Meg and welcome back.

After my injury and lay off I tok the same approach. Work on speed and forget distance. I did this for a year up to a maximum of 10k then over the next year increased the distance to 13 miles and in the last quarter from 13 to 20 miles in readiness for Hastings.  My aim at each stage was to maintain speed.

Snoops that was the one I think Horrable year.

• Options

Hi, Meg - LTNS!

Haven't heard anything from the gang of '04, apart from Donna who had a baby last month and is doing fine.

See one or two of you, maybe, at the Dartford 10 this Sunday.

• Options
    Morning all, not been on here for a while.  I'm at home at the moment, not done a lot of running in the last few months been in the gym, just having a change.  Hope all are well, Snoop give my best to Donna, and sing of Jj.
  • Options

Will do, Witchy - hope all's well with you.

Heard from JJ this morning as well. She seems fine, and will be coming over for a run before long as well.