Options

Bromley and Surrounding Areas

Comments

• Options
    I think I will stick to the 400m and a glass (or bottle) of sparkling stuff and chat about the performance 60,000 times than actually doing it if you dont mind, far more enjoyable and a lot less tiring... image
  • Options

A very Merry Xmas to all runners in and around Bromley.

I shall be doing a few festive runs this season to counterbalance the usual over indulgences.

Decided to take a break from the FLM in '08 after seven consecutive appearances, and get in shape for club Grand Prix events and the like.

In terms of marathons, Prague and something in Scotland look favourites at the moment, to be mulled over in between sherry and trifle with the vicar over the Festivities! 

• Options

Hmmm... Running...

Haven't given next year much thought realy... 2009 planing the stage race in China with Lynda but nothing planed for 2008.

That said I am planning the mulled wine over Christmas, and lots of mince pies and sherry... But running.... now theres a thought

• Options

If you're planning to race China, you'd be advised to get a bit of training in in '08.

China's one 'ell of a big place! image - think of it as 'London to Brighton' x 100!

• Options

Big Difference is that the Chinese one is 16 days of short 10k/15 mile races each day a different distance, so nothing more than training for 16 days. L2B was 55 miles in one go a whole different proposition.

Besides who is going to race it. We are mainly going to enjoy China.

• Options

HNY to anyone still visiting this thread.

Mr P - if you get this in time, are you up for either the Tadworth 10 or the Leatherhead 20 the next two Sundays? 

• Options

A belated Happy New Year, one and all

Back to work now after 2 weeks of leisure

Sorry, Snoops, I've just checked in after a while not checking the forum. Tadworth 10 go well? I'm not planning on doing any races myself between now and FLM. That said, if there's anyhting interesting coming up, let me know. 20 miles is way too far for me right now though.

• Options

Happy New Year to you folks!

I'm doing the Dartford 10 on 20th January, hope to see one or two of you there.  I've also got an FLM place this year, if you fancy a run after work one day Mr P let me know. 

• Options
    Great idea Tigs - email on its way
  • Options

Thinking about Liverpool Half, dependant on not braking anything in the States - planning on skiing the week before.

Happy New Year

• Options

Hi, everybody!

Tadworth 10 was tough, but I made it round!

P'raps a 20 is a silly idea so early in the year, particularly when I have decided to take a break from marathons, and concentrate on 10k's to halves.

I can see the contagion in the States hasn't put you off the country, Ashley. Mind you, if ski-ing is your bag, it's a quarter of the cost at Bankso and Pamporovo. 

Two weeks off work, eh Mr P - some people don't know they're born!

• Options

Yeah, Snoops, luxury . . . Managed to get a few runs done in between the eating, drinking and sleeping. Back to ploughing through mountains of coursework and mock exams now though! Next "holiday" is a week in Italy at half term with 40 kids. Mmmm . . . Not the best prep for FLM but fingers crossed I don't twist anything.

• Options
    Done Bulgaria about four or five times so no rush to return.  Done Switzerland four times France, Italy and scotland once. Fancied something with a little more Hmphhhh... And also where they speak English and serve proper food... Nope still love the States despite it having more crooks than the Algarve and Bulgaria Real Estate communities combined! 
  • Options

Golly! It IS quiet in here! Are we still all running? 

Did the Dover Half at the weekend. Really nice race and super weather. Next up the Steyning Stinger half marathon early next month.

• Options

Yep, off to San Francisco for a 10k at the weekend (thought this would be a good way of getting the sight seeing done a little quicker!) and then a 5k in the mountains in the snow the following week,

Oh and of course 10k at ORR tonight and next month...

decided to give the Liverpool Half a shot 2nd March and then the Hastings Half a go as its supposed to be hilly!!!

• Options

Yippee made my 10k time of 41 minutes last night so well pleased this morning. At ong last I have achieved a running goal... 41minutes in my 41st year!imageimage

No more silly ideas or goals planned yet... although I may consider them... Snoops not an open invitation here image!!!!

• Options

that's pretty good - short stuff seems to suit you more than the long.

have a good one in 'frisco!

• Options

Wow San Francisco was fun. Not a bad course although there was one tough hill. the rest of the course was flat. Results were published quickly. I came in as the 1st International in 43 minutes.

Skiing was great, even though we had tons of snow and got snowed in.

Came home end of last week and went up to Liverpool for the Half, I midly hopped I could maybe just squeeze in a sub 100 minute time but being that 3 of my 5 previous half have all been over the 2.15 I doubted I could achieve it realistically.  Well The final clock time was 1.41 but fortunatly they had Champion chip and that recorded a time of 1.37!!!!  Thats a whopping 8 minutes off my PB set at Tunbridge in 2004. I know if i had trained for this event and done more than a 9 mile run that another 2 minutes could have been knocked off the time as well as I realy felt it from mile 9 where my time dropped from an average sub 7.5 to post 8.5 minute miles.

Snoops your right short distance is def my thing... Club 10k next week where I hope to shave another minute off my time and then off to Hastings for the 'alf, where I am only looking to finish the course, and am seriously not bothered about a time on that one.

• Options

...found this languishing some way down the pages.

Good time, Ashley - I thought you were more into shorter stuff these days. And how was Hastings?

I'm off to Paddock Wood for the half this weekend and hopefully some better weather too. 

• Options

Hastings was great. I started off at the back treating it as a fun run. The first three miles were averaged around 9.5.  I changed my mind at this point though and decided to pick up the pace and simply run at what was a comfortable pace. It was the first race where nobody has ever overtaken me at any point, where I didn't flag at the end, had a positive split and a sprint finish that didn't involve vomiting!  Time was 1.45 so well pleased.

Good luck with PW, fast course and maybe one I should try some time.  I applied for Bromley Vets today and hope to do som track work this summer, mainly 200 - 1500 although my preference will be 200m and 400m. 

Hows young Ashley doing on his travels?

• Options

1hr 47 mins yesterday at Paddock Wood - was "Singin' in the Rain" as it was so nice to be out there on a warm day for a change.

Ashley is now in Oz working in a financial spread betting firm, having gone there via India, 'nam, Cambodia and Thailand. Running with Sydney Striders when he can get away. 

• Options

What have I done?

Beachy Head

Hastings

London

What the hell came over me?

• Options

Ashley! Someone take the credit card away from that man. image

I'm looking forward to a summer of short races, the absolute longest I am contemplating for some considerable time is the Dartford half!

• Options

Actually Ive already done that its locked away somewhere very safe where I can no longer get to it!!!

Im looking forward to a summer of short races as well in the Vets league with maybe a maximum distance of 800m!

• Options

Ha! image 3!!

Sounds like a brain bypass moment there! image 

• Options
    Well we all know London is about zero chance so not so bad there and Beachy Head is a run walk so no problems getting a sub 5 there either... just realy leaves Hastings to worry about realy...
  • Options

I may do Abingdon in October, if Spring races go to plan, but take a break this year from Beachy - now Hastings - that's a one-off centenary anniversary in December, isn't it? 

• Options

Thats the one and also why Im doing it.

Abingdon is my personal HATE. you should be able to get a good time, but despite the first half  being pictureseque through villages and an industrial park the second is so boring around an airfield. When I did it in 2003 there were cold winds that blew up a sand storm off the fields that brought everyone to a standstill as you couldn't see let alone walk. Still the marshalling was good, with mars bars en route, some good supporters in town and a Stadium Finish (although Reading Half is somewhat better).

Did come accross one very interesting one 'fun, held in the deserts of the USA on a highway that goes along the side of Area 42... The whole race is held at night with an American breakfast waiting for the finishers. THere are also prizes for fancy dress (aliens!). Looked interesting...image

• Options
    fun? Americans? interesting?!! Some non-sequiturs there, surely! image
  • Options

Glad to see this thread resurrected.  My running has been suffering a bit due to exams which have been coming at me thick and fast since Feb! Still, I'm managing to squeeze in 30 mins 3-4 times per week so hopefully when I pick it up again in June it won't be too painful (although I have entered the Peckham 10K which is next weekend...hmmmm....)

Some great runs seem to be going on in some pretty exotic places (What, no Thanet???image ) with some fab times. Anyone do FLM this year? I was massaging for a charity and was gobsmacked to see people still crossing the line at 6.30pm!!!!