• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    you never know

I'm off to do a 50K tomorrow

have bought loads of stuff for my knee

:)
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    4:18 for 50K quite relaxed with no real issues, a little tired from the 44 miles I had run from the previous week and the marathon but all in all a good steady run
  • Options
    Excellent running Gobi! Glad the knee held up. o you keep this kind of mileage up right through the year?

I did a modest 24K yesterday. :o)
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Plan is to run 30-50 miles most weeks
    then around November drop it down to say 20-30 miles then start again in December ready for a 50K in January

knee seems ok had a massage and a 4 mile run
  • Options
    Thinking of doing this in 2007 but I'm just wondering how much you need to do to train for it and what would be your longest run...I've done 3 marathons (4 if you count IMCH) so that distance isn't an issue but Comrades is a different kettle of fish....any advice gratefully received...
  • Options
    Hi RB you gonna drag Jo round this then ;-)
    We are hoping to do it next year, but have more pressing things on at the moment, but will know nearer the time.

Sorry not answered your question as don't have the answer yet.
  • Options
    Ratbag

Go to the Comrades web site and you will find a training schedule from January to the race in June. If you run around 1500K with a longest run of around 65K between Jan and June you will be fine.

Comrades is not about the training (though it helps to do some!) but geting your head around running for 9 - 11 hours.

Good Luck

Gobi.. Nice run
  • Options
    Ratbag, just to add on to what Dubai Dave had to say, that 1500km is a guide, i have finished with ALOT less!! so yes, your mind will be your biggest obstacle to get past.
  • Options
    I reckon if I can keep going for nearly 14 hrs at IMCH then I might manage 9-11 hours for Comrades...after doing the training of course....

OK, I'll seriosly give this some thought...

TL,

Come and do it in 2007....you know you want to...

Maybe another piratey trip??? but a bit expensive for some....
  • Options
    Is it better to do the down run or the up run???
  • Options
    Ratbag, that is a matter of opinion, most say the up run is better because its not as hard on your quads etc, not as much jarring and breaking on the downhills, but i personally prefer the down run,

who knows maybe i will change my mind after next year! (up run), i wouldnt let that dictate when or if you run!

btw, most say that you have only really completed comrades when you have done one of each! hahahahahah just kidding!
  • Options
    Ratbag

I prefer the UP for reasons Grant has given above, second half of up is fairly levelish... much easier on the legs.

Also I agree with Grant ...... You have to do a up & a down to say youve done Comrades!... Only half kidding
  • Options
    hmmmm...up AND down....OK, I'll speak to Mrs RB (Jo) about it....I'll need some cheap accommodation tho'....I do know some people in SA but not been in touch for a while...in 2007, I'm assuming it starts in Peitermaritzburg (sp?) so where woulkd it be best to stay, there or Durbs???

What is Durban like these days anyway...last time I was there the main town was becoming a little eeeerm....seedy???
  • Options
    2006 is UP / 2007 Down. In my opinion its always better to stay in Durban as there is more choice.

Durban (I'm going to offend some South Africans here) is not the city it was, best to stay out at Umhlanga. If its 2007 you targetting I'll see you there. 2006 is a Gap year!
  • Options
    Hi Ratbag

I am from South Africa and can tell you that Dubai Dave has it spot on. The further you stay away from Durban the better. I am planning on getting a place about 70K from Durban next year. Cities in SA are bad news.

You will be there next year Dave :o)
  • Options
    Aha!! I've been to Umhlanga...spent a week there a few years ago...I'll take your advice and find somewhere out of the city then....shame about Durban, I used to really like it but that was about 10+ years ago...on my last visit, about 4 years ago, it felt distinctly dodgy...

Portaloo. where are you from in SA?
  • Options
    Ratbag, it is dodgy, i we used to go on holiday there when i was kid, now i dont go anywhere near! there are lots of place on the north and south coast to stay, i usually go north! Umhlanga, Umdloti, Ballito,

Oh yes and there are busses to get you to the start, so there is no problems there!

• Options
    I live in a small town called Heidelberg,about 35 minutes from Johannesburg. just happy to be out of the city. :o)
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to live in Jo'burg anyway....I know a couple of people who live out in Lone Hill direction...and one who has a place at Silver Lakes (the golf course) ... jammy git...
  • Options
    Heheheheh, Ratbag, i live in Pretoria, work in jhb, soon to be jhb city center, feel sorry for me now ok!!
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning all

another 40+ mile week, I think the 50K race helped. ran 41:25 for 10K on Wednesday and even pushed down a hill Knee is holding up I think.

Durban is not all doom and gloom by the way
  • Options
    Hello Gobi son!! hehehehehe

Just depends on where in Durban you go, but its not anywhere the same asit was!

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    hey Grant chap

that is true, I have been to durban a few times and I know where not to go as they say

Hows training?
  • Options
    Gobi

its going, im not putting to much pressure on myself, just wanna keep going , and will do the hard stuff early next year!

The marathon i wanted to do in October to qula

Qualify for 2 oceans and comrades has been cancelled for some reason, so now i must look for another one, or just give it a break till Jan!
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I think they must realise that the gap between qualifying and the race is tooooooooooo big

Glad you are out there and getting it done

I think 6 weeks after the race and seeing the way I am running now I am more disappointed that things went so wrong at Comrades. Will be better nect year.
  • Options
    Good going there Gobi. That 10K time is quite impressive!

Doing a hilly 17 mile training run on Sunday.

Doing a half marathon next Sunday.
  • Options
    The wicjed thing about running is that there is always next time! and if next year doenst go well, then theres next time!! lol

Still think next year will be your last?
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    not a bad time still a little slow but I was tired

doing a half myself next Sunday
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    what time are you hoping for ?
  • Options
    Cheers for all the info guys....wil go away and digest before making decision on 2007....very tempted tho'...