Options

Comrades 2006

Comments

• Options
    Scruffy , i want aswell, only 8 to go!! hahahahahahah ouch!!
  • Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone

Did a 16 mile run in 2 hours 20 minutes yesterday. really enjoyed it and could have gone further if I had to but decided to take it easy,plenty of time left for those 20 milers.

How are you guys doing today?

Oh,also watched the tour de France yesterday. Amazing stage win for Rasmussen.
  • Options
    Everyone safe over that side??????????
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    hello all

knees are improving did over 22 miles today in 3hrs

my first proper long run since Comrades

have a marathon in 13 days
  • Options
    Hi Guys

Getting back into running again now, will have a 80K + week this week. I was in Turkey working last week and the chance to run in cool green surroundings got my legs moving once again. Last night ran here in Dubai it was 43C as per my car thermometer ( this was at 1900!) and I guess around 70% humidity, promptly ran 6K in 30 mins which I thought was pretty good given the conditions!

Still certain that 2006 is out as have the following schedule in mind.

Jan Dubai Marathon
    Feb Bahrain Marathin
    March Abu Dhabi Marathon
    April Two Oceans or London
    June Dartmoor discovery (UK) ultra
    August Two briges (UK) Ultra
    October Himalaya 100
    November Athens Marathon

Fit in a few 1/2 M's, 10K's etc around that and thats next year gone!

This year I have 2 marathons planned for October and then its trail running season here as we run various lunatic races up and down the very rocky mountains in the North of the country.

Hope your all running well

DD
  • Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Running in extreme heat there DD. have you ever done a marathon in that kind of heat?

You have an impressive (more like intimidating) program for next year. I see you have listed the Two Oceans as a possibility. Have you ever done that race?

• Options
    Portaloo

Have run Abu Dhabi marathon in March, that was around 35C. Two oceans is a definate possibility! Yeah I ran 2Oceans in 2004, more scenic then Comrades and doesn't require so much training, if you can run a marathon then you can run 2 Oceans.

Hope that your training is going well.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    SunTastic Marathons with Dubai Dave
  • Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Good one Gobi :o)

Training is going very well. I will be running a 20 mile race in November. Very hilly but quite a large field,around 3000 runners.

My schedule looks a bit like this at present:

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 5M
    Wednesday - 6M
    Thursday - 5M
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 6M
    Sunday - 16-20M

The plan is to build my Wednesday and Saturday run up to 10M.Every second week I cut my long run to 13M. I will keep to this schedule until the end of the year. January I will start training for Comrades and run my first marathon in February. Then a 31M race in March and another in April.

My schedule prior to Comrades will look something like this:

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 5M
    Wednesday - 8M
    Thursday - 5M
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 2-3 hour run
    Sunday - 3-4 hour run

This is if all goes according to plan. Must admit after doing those 16 milers I find the idea of running another 40 very daunting indeed.

Getting tired of winter to be honest. Running in the dark, wearing layers of clothing every morning is no fun at all. I really fear injury or ilness and view those as my greatest obstacles.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Porta

why long runs on saturday and sunday ?
  • Options
    I think it would be time and daylight, get light very late and dark early at the moment~
  • Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Hi Gobi

I have had a look at the Hal Higdon ultra schedule and the thinking is that back to back long runs will teach you the ability to run on tired legs. Bruce Fordyce's schedule also incorporate back to back long runs.

I am not too keen on this to be honest as I would much rather do a run of 6-10 miles only, on the Saturday. I am worried that these back to back runs may lead to injury.

Your opinion on this matter will be appreciated,Gobi. I need all the advice I can get.
  • Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Checked out bruce Fordyce's book last night. His program does not include back to back long runs. He suggests doing an 8-10 mile run on Saturdays. I feel more comfortable with the shorter Saturday run to be honest.

No running for me today. Sore throat and slight fever. I trained through illness in May and missed three weeks of training due to pneumonia. I am not going to take any chances,one or two days off wont hurt.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I went with the long run most weeks and a variety of miles at allother times

did a lot of runs around 10-20 miles
  • Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    No running this week due to flu. Feeling much better today and will be out there tomorrow.

6 Day running weeks from tomorrow, only rest day being on a Monday.

How are you guys doing?
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Flu for a week?

I'm racing sunday, knee is not bad have done another 30 mile+ week and almost looking forward to Sunday. After this race I will not run beyond 20 miles in one go until January :¬)
  • Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Monday was a rest day and Tuesday I had the flu,justcouldnt shake it,but feeling much better today.

What distance are you racing on Sunday,Gobi? hope you have a good one!
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Marathon mate

mileage is a little low since comrades but quality of training has been very good so I should fly if all goes to plan 3:10-3:20
  • Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Best of luck and let us know how you got on.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning all

3:17.09 on a very wet afternoon. Easy course mildly undulating(comrades gives you a whole new view of what hilly is :¬))

Went well for 20 last 6 was hard as a lack of speed over distance and the weather took its toll
  • Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Well done,Gobi!!

How did the knee hold up?
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    It survived, rested today, if ok will give it a spin tomorrow

quite hopeful to be honest and chuffed with the time all things considered
  • Options
    Gobi, well done, nice one m8, glad to see you getting back on form.
    See yah soon :-)
  • Options
    Tinribs, i see in your profile, your looking to do an ultra next year? is it Comrades your considering?
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Cheers Tin, see you in Yately ?

Hey Grant, how is it going?
  • Options
    Grant,
    Yes I am defo considering it, to be perfectly honest, cost will be a major consideration, so I need to know well in advance what the overall expense will be.
    Any advice on this would be gratefully received. :-)

Gobi.....Yateley it is !!!
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Tin

lets get together at Yateley and chat about COmrades
  • Options
    Tinribs, i think Gobi will be the best to ask about costs as he was just here! Im a south african, and am not sure what costs would be, however the favourable interest rate should be an advantage!!

Gobi ol pal, see it went well on the weekend! your a machine!! :-)
  • Options
    Ok Gobi,
    Sounds like a good idea good to me. :-)

Thanks Grant,I may have to make it a holiday and bring oh so may need your on site advice later.

In the mean time I must concentrate on doing my first mara on 4th Sept and a further 3 that I have booked before the end of the year.
  • Options
    Tinrib, anytime!!

4 marathons before the end of the year? your eager!! hahahah, i only have 1, rest is much shorter, ill only do lots of the long stuff in the new year!