Radio Worcestershire

Comments

• Well I haven't seen any of them up here...
  • Raptured or ruptured Kwilter? Do you think they're hiding from us SVT?
  • We should get someone to check Worcestershire for unattended piles of clothes...
  • CC is going to a meeting in Solihull today. Solihull is nearly Worcestershire, I'll get her to have a look.
  • Rapture was very uneventful in North Wales. image

I had a kinda weird happening on the way to work…I cut down a small single track lane to avoid going past the Comprehensive School in the next village. There is a blind bend on it and a hump back bridge and I have often thought that if I met someone on the bridge it could be nasty. The bend is just about wide enough to get two cars through. So anyway, this morning, I am pootling along, before the bend and this pigeon is sat in the road (btw, the road is Pigeon House Lane). It doesn’t move as I approach. I sit and wait, inching towards it. It just sits there. So I beep my horn and after a second or two it flies off. Funny, I thought, wouldn’t it be odd if that avoided a crash for me, haha? Next thing, this blue sports car hurtles round the bend, just as I get to it. I manage to avoid it because of it widening out on the apex and he does a speed wobble. If the pigeon hadn’t stopped me I would have been on the humped back bridge and it would have been a head on. Weird huh?

• It's a sign! Nice lucky escape, Minners!

Post-rapture Worcestershire much the same as pre-rapture Worcestershire; maybe it's because I'm an Odinist?

• I'm thinking of becoming an Ayn Rand-ist myself. Did anyone see that documentary last night about her/computers and the state of the economy generally? Most fascinating thing I've seen for a long time.
  • musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    Toe to toe
    Dancing very close
    Barely breathing
    Almost comatose
    Wall to wall
    People hypnotized
    And they're stepping lightly
    Hang each night in Rapture

Back to back
    Sacroiliac
    Spineless movement
    And a wild attack

Face to face
    Sadly solitude
    And it's finger popping
    Twenty-four hour shopping in Rapture

Fab Five Freddie told me everybody's high
    DJ's spinnin' are savin' my mind
    Flash is fast, Flash is cool
    Francois sez fas, Flashe' no do
    And you don't stop, sure shot
    Go out to the parking lot
    And you get in your car and you drive real far
    And you drive all night and then you see a light
    And it comes right down and lands on the ground
    And out comes a man from Mars
    And you try to run but he's got a gun
    And he shoots you dead and he eats your head
    And then you're in the man from Mars
    You go out at night, eatin' cars
    You eat Cadillacs, Lincolns too
    Mercurys and Subarus
    And you don't stop, you keep on eatin' cars
    Then, when there's no more cars
    You go out at night and eat up bars where the people meet
    Face to face, dance cheek to cheek
    One to one, man to man
    Dance toe to toe
    Don't move to slow, 'cause the man from Mars
    Is through with cars, he's eatin' bars
    Yeah, wall to wall, door to door, hall to hall
    He's gonna eat 'em all
    Rapture, be pure
    Take a tour, through the sewer
    Don't strain your brain, paint a train
    You'll be singin' in the rain
    I said don't stop, to punk rock

Well now you see what you wanna be
    Just have your party on TV
    'Cause the man from Mars won't eat up bars when the TV's on
    And now he's gone back up to space
    Where he won't have a hassle with the human race
    And you hip-hop, and you don't stop
    Just blast off, sure shot
    'Cause the man from Mars stopped eatin' cars and eatin' bars
    And now he only eats guitars, get up!
  • musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭

Morning Few

Hogweed Trot last night - quite windy, so not too disappointed with my time

Good old pigeon

• According to a salty old sea dog I was talking to on Liverpool Docks on Sunday, this wind should ease off sometime today. <looks out of the window anxiously and doubts it very much>

• Be very careful around salty seamen...

In the spirit of being nice to myself, I managed to run 25 miles last week over my five planned runs; week 1, on course, on time.

Mousers, well swashbuckled; I shall track down a report later...

Muskers, what's the Trot like? Have idly pondered once or twice, but never done...

• musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    I really like the Trot and have now done all 8 of them- well organised, friendly club and it has been my PB course for most of my running career.
    Only downside was the lack of hot water in the showers
  • Excellent work, Crashie.

I thought of Jeff the other day - I was walking past one of those fish eating your feet places. Bizarre on so many levels - grown women just sitting there with their feet in fish tanks. Do they realise how weird that looks? And the window into the shop was ordinary, floor length glass. So of course there were spectators. Fish Nibbling Feet as a spectator sport?

No hot water is a bit rubbish, Musky.

• No hot water in the showers? That's disgraceful in this day and age.  Nothing like the Slog... oh, hang on...

(In fairness the water was actually lukewarm last year, which is a welcome improvement on the usual 'barely liquid'.)

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Hello from sunny Mouseland.  Today we are a tad grumpy as we have tried to call in our policy for mending the boiler and it's never quite what they said it would be, is it?

I don't think I wrote a race report for the Swashbuckler, Crashie, a couple of lines on the thread maybe.  Possiblly a small bit on the Wing. Will see what I can find.

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Race type comments from other threads:

"..Aside from that, I'm tired and hungry. Swashbuckler report - the swim was hard (tidal) and the bike course was windy and I hated it.  I felt lumpen and slow. However, I felt the strongest I've ever felt running off the bike (either at Bala, Germany or from big brick sessions).  The usual whinges though, I feel fat and slow, you'd think I'd eat less pork pies as a result really.... alas not I had pizza for dinner last night.."

And a response to a comment from Min about not making a meal of it (cos she didn't know I was even doing it):

"..Min - I think it's a midpoint between 'just getting on and doing it' and 'not having 5 fkn minutes to tell anyone about it (yet alone fret!)'.  I will confess, I didn't feel particularly ready for a middle distance at this stage in training and I did most of the bike course on the premis (sp) that I wasn't going to run because I CBA and then kinda got off the bike and started running.  I'm also doing Copenhagen in August, if I don't get time to mention it between now and then...."

Race report from Swash thread:

I have swashed in disguise!

Met Gladys and Meface - thanks for saying hello chaps.  Introduced self to Happychap in the water at the start!  Saw Henny a couple of times and Henny and Trogs again at the car loading up.

Hard day for me, that swim is tough, and then we had headwinds EVERYWHERE! Felt improved in some areas though, def an improvement on Bala 2009 in terms of being comfortable on the run and having something left.

Oh and I am such a donut.

Nobody told me the water is salty. I got in, almost got straight out again!

• Ah, who'da thought it - saltwater in a tidal wash. Praps you should start washing your hands prior to getting into Open Water, in a Southern slaves on rice plantations kinda way?

I have spent almost 2 hours playing on my MTB in Caesars camp. I found some cows there too - I didnt know there were any cows so I was a little suprised. It was good fun, and far less nerve wracking than it would have been on the road where a gusting crosswind is liable to blow you under a bus at any time.

Min - yeah, I think it just looks pretty gross. At best, surely it tickles like hell?!

• The Wockette is DESPERATE to go and have her feet nibbled by fish ( imagine that being said in a over-dramatic small girl voice and you'll get the full idea) but I'm less enthusiastic.

MIn - time to be nice to birds.  Not your time to have a head on collison, I'd suggest.  Or a nice scare for the person in the other car?

I have unbooked my full week off next week.  I shall have to come in to work and mark on Wednesday which is a bummer, but on the other hand I will get paid extra for it as the contract runs out before I can actually take any summer holiday.  Still no news on who has a job next year.  Please keep your fingers crossed.

Crashie - well run.  Must be about time to get ill?

• I just popped out to the local music shop to look at basses. Got my eye on something that will only take me a couple of years to save for. image
  • Personally, I have spent many years carefully nurturing the hard skin on my feet to avoid blisterage and I have no desire for fish to nibble it off!

• WMS; she's wise.

SVT, that model will be long since discontinued by the time you've saved up; its replacement will be more expensive; life's like that...

• Crashie - fact. To both.

Maybe I'll just go for a regular sea bass - the freshwater ones have to be imported from the US, I believe.

• Do the American ones 'play' in a stateside accent? Good for the Blues, perhaps?
  • For a singing bass, I think the largemouth bass would be the best bet. I'm not sure what sort of accent they have, what with generally living underwater.
  • Oh yeah, good point.....
  • Afternoon all!

Not been raptured here either (or not that i've noticed) image

Fingers crossed Wotsit
    Mouse - sounds like you toughed it out - thank u for the cut & pasting.  Boo to the boiler policy - insurance policies suck
    SVT - ah well, perhaps your numberswill come up or something

I have been keeping my head down at work although I was praised today by someone giving a financial report to governors on Thursday - I did ask him to say nice things about me!

Off to Nottingham now for HLad to do some more regional tennis stuff tomorrow - at least I don't have to be at work image

• Hello

Shame I didn't know about the Trot as it's close to work.

• Ooh, get you with your 'job' image

No harm in reminding people what a good job you do, HL.

I read the other day that Ryan Giggs is sometimes homesick; apparently he loves Manchester, but he does miss Wales from time to time. (I'm not explaining that in public)

Moving on to a joke, apparently Chelsea have signed Kate McCann as their new manager. Roman Abramovich said 'she has an excellent track record; she'sonly lost one in Europe...'

• Baboomtish, Crashie!

Thing I don't get is even I can see that Mrs Giggs is gawjuss - why would you stray?

What Mr C said, HL.

Hope the boiler is sorted soon Mouse - nightmare, but at least it is summer, which somehow makes it better than it being a winter problem, even though it isn't your heating....

And in other news; it seems, after tax, I take home £5 less a week for 4 days than 5. Given that it costs me more than a fiver to get here, I am considering asking for a 4 day week. However, having only been here 2 weeks, that seems a bit cheeky! But the workload is ridiculously light and I know I could do it in 4. I could do it one, if I'm honest.BUT - don't want to talk myself out of a job completely....

• I think I'd use the time making myself indispensible/networking/making friends/generally being very obliging, so that if anything permanent comes up... image