Options

FLM 2006 Sub 4 hours

Comments

• Options
    Newbie1 - hi - I too am going to follow RW -4 marathon schedule, and its interested to note that you didn't meet your target. Do you have a link for your Hal Higdon programme, it sounds interesting!
  • Options
    Hi Newbie1 and BigJohnson. I am also planning on using the RW sub 4 hour. Am currently following the sub 2 hour half marathon plan which takes me up to early December, will start marathon one after that. Newbie1 - did you mean that you personally didn't do enough miles, or that you felt the RW sub 4 hour plan didn't set enough long runs?
  • Options
    I folloiwed the RW -2hrs half for nottingham and came in @ 1:58, so I can't complain about that!
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    thanks for advice there newbie1. I was just sitting here thinking I can't do this when I read your post. My prev pb for flm is 4.18. feel hopeful again!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    Don't know how to do links I'm afraid, but the Hal Higdon schedule is at
    http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00intermediate.htm

I used intermediate 1
    I thought the RW sub 4 was quite a 'hard' schedule as it had speedwork in it and a lot of the runs were at MP. I ended up getting quite tired and missing out a few runs, and only ran 3/4 times per week. Am sure it works fine if you are more used to speedwork so can do all the mileage they recommend. Conversely, on Hal Higdon's programme I ran much more mileage but felt less tired because it was generally slower and I think I overall had more miles in my legs

Is all personal choice at the end of the day. i reckon moving from 3/4 days per week to 5 (even on the same mileage) made a really big difference though
  • Options
    I have to agree with Newbie1 - it's about consistency of training at the level we are talking about - although some speed work "can" help..........

I did 4:07 in 2003, came to 2005 with a lot more miles in my legs, more consistent training and with only a 10K PB bettered during those intervening 2 years.........

I got 3:59:52 (the joy of 8 seconds!) including badly twisting my ankle at Mile 4 which scuppered a few plans to say the least...........and have since gone on to PB at 5K twice (taking over 2mins off), Olympic Triathlon (by 10 mins) and complete an Ironman.............I still used the sub-4 plan as my basis for training during the week but consistently put longer runs in at the weekends - started with 15 milers at Xmas...........

so, all I have acheieved this year has been on the back of long term, consistent long training.............

good luck peeps - am hoping to get a club place and join you all and aim at 3:45
  • Options
    fb, long have I been an admirer of your postings. I am going to take your advice.
    My last three marathons have been;

Cardiff 2004 4.45 1st mara and enjoyed the experience

London 2005 4.23 was flying till mile 23 then hit wall with a bang. Understand my mistakes. Decided that 8.45 - 8.30 min/mile pace felt comfortable. Will not make that mistake again.

Cardiff 2005 4.46 was sick almost continually from 16-22. Achievement to finish cause I wanted to give up!!

My pb for half marathon is 1.44
    My pb for 10K is 47mins.

I know I can get under 4, I just know it.

Going to follow your advice and be consistent with a capital C!

My mid week runs are from the RW sub 4 plan. My long weekend runs are from the RW sub 3.30 plan. I aim to do these 20% slower than 9.00 min mile pace out and 10% slower on way back in.

I may invest in a hrm and do my tempo runs in accordance with it.
  • Options
    rp

for your info - my 10k PB is 47:34 (hoping to go better in 10 days at Brighton); my 1/2 is 1:45:08 (those damn 8 seconds again!) - so we are very nearly equal here (plus the fact I am also from Gwent!!)

so you are definitely sub-4 material - if I can, you can..........just go get the miles in the legs, think positive, and hope you stay fit and well..........

and yes to a HRM _ I do all my long training runs to the rhythm of the HRM..........

and ditch the schedules for the LSR's and go longer earlier and more frequently as you will benefit from that more than anything else...........pre FLM this year I probably did 4x20 milers, 4x18 milers, numerous 15 milers and a couple of 21/22 milers..........a 1/2 mara to me is now a training run, not an event......

good luck - hope to see you there
  • Options
    This is about the standard I,m hoping to be able to achive.
    P.b 10km 45.01 half 1.50.
    Have reduced the miles I run each time I go out training,Used to do 2 or 3 times a week, and have been going out 4 or 5 times a week on smaller runs. I did this to get my body used to going out more often. Will start upping the milage again slowly, also some speed work. On top of this I also do four or five one to two hour walks with my wife a week.(think these may have to be shortened).
    Have just brought a garmin 201 and have been surpised what I have learnt using it, on what should have been slow runs I have found I have been going much to fast near my 10km time, Now I know why I struggle so much on longer runs.
  • Options
    Really good thread!

Have to say though that experience plays a big part in hitting a sub-4 time. I completed my first marathon last FLM in 04:00:15 (gutted), but definately knowing what it takes to break 4 hours is the biggest part in pushing yourself that extra bit. 6 months later i am on target for 3:45.
    Not sure if i am in this year tho. Good luck to you all!!!
  • Options
    LauraFLauraF ✭✭✭
    I'm planning to use the Hal Higdon program too - probably intermediate 2. I injured myself training for NY this year (didn't run it), and think it was because I was trying to do too much speedwork alongside the mileage. I like the idea of keeping the training pace down and just running long. Will keep some hill work in as hard to stay on the flat around here.
  • Options
    Steady ten miles today started off in to quiet a strong wind that helped keep the pacedown.
    Working up to a half at the Keyworth turkey trot on the 11th of Dec, Then take up to 15 miles before the New year.
    A day of rest on Saturday, then a leg of the High peak relay on Sunday.
  • Options
    Not sure I should be in this forum after all!! Have not really run since the Cardiff marathon on the 9th October. Went for a slow two mile jog the night before last to 'get back into the swing'.
    Am aching all over!
    How quick the fitness is lost!!
  • Options
    it will come back quickly RD - persevere..........
  • Options
    Went again last night on a hilly five miler. Felt much better. Think the body just needed a kick start.

When I got home had an overwhelming feeling that I needed to pee urgently. Ran to toilet and noticed there was blood in my urine.

Dont think there is anything to worry about after reading other threads on web site. However, will get it checked out next week by quack.

The joy of running eh?!
  • Options
    not an uncommon issue in runners RD but go get it checked in case there is an underlying problem

could have been worse - you could have crapped yourself.......;O))
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I am still in this thread but no longer planning to do evry other day sched, other half pointed out it would mean not running all club nights and neither of us can see th epoint of missing out on running with others so much! Printed off hal hig's sched to peruse....
  • Options
    Wabo I dont think the schedules have to be followed to the day as long as you do what it says in the week. I agree with you about running with your club, its so much easier to go out in a group if your tierd or the weathers poor . I have done 30 miles this week
    including 12 miles off road around Bakewell on Weds, Went out with a mate this morning and did 7, Thats it till sunday feet up saturday then cross country. Not going to do so much next week aiming for 20 to 25.
  • Options
    Cheers fb!

Now thats another story for another time :)
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    had a very cba weekend so now its time to knuckle down! starting with this evening. Will run mon, tues thurs sun and poss friday this week.
    see if I post it here I feel I should do it!!
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    got off my bum and ran last night!! With two youngsters, they sped me round 3 miles, eyeballs out! Let the training commence! Hows everyone else getting on?
  • Options
    Training going well at the moment. I am following the RW sub 2 hour half marathon schedule at the moment and did a long run of 14 miles on sunday in 1 hour 49 mins. V pleased with that. Change over to full marathon schedule after xmas. Motivation good, cold weather not a problem, I think snow and rain will prove more testing.
  • Options
    Training going well. Been following the asics on-line 3:45 schedule. Currently training 4 times during the week with a long run at the weekend. Found having to step up from 3 to 5 times a week really hard and left me feeling tired for about a month. Seem to have go used to it now. Will be introducing some speed work and long-hill repeats during January. Already have place for FLM 06 through work.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Managed to get out on my own last night, had lovely run, about 3.5 miles? No watch, just me in shorts and t! Passed 3 ladies who had just started to get going and they had the works on, hats long leggings jumpers etc! I was roasting!
  • Options
    My training not going too bad either. Motivation really strong. Love running in the cold. Bring on the snow, everything looks so fresh, I find it quite exhilerating.

Aiming to run between 20 - 25 miles a week including a ten miler on Sundays. Will do this until January then follow my main training plan.

Anyone doing any tune up races? I am doing

Pontypridd 10
    Llanelli Half
    New Forest Half

I find every marathon an adventure, I never get tired of them!!!
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I will do all chingford league races. Xcountry vets, southern, nationals.
    Will prob do a couple of halfs, rodaing valley? and I will def do Orion harriers Mercury 10 (v tough xctry). And whatever else comes along. There is an Orion 15, give this a miss though as its too close to flm and risky))
  • Options
    hi peeps

still waiting to hear if I have a club place but in the meantime starting to train as if I have one - other half has a ballot place so am helping her train for her 1st FLM...........doubt if she's sub-4 but she training for that which will help - and she'd better not beat me!!

did Brighton 10k last weekend and missed my PB by 9 secs so form is OK.........just need to shed some of the weight I have piut back on after the tri season but with Xmas on the horizon, that will be tough.........

got a few events in the plans but not entered any yet - plenty of time.......

hope to get a 15 miler in this weekend

RD - any diagnosis on the blood in urine?? all OK I assume and classic runners haematuria??
  • Options
    Have had a good week, Cross country last Sunday in that wonderful bright and chilly weather, had a rest Monday, 7 miles steady Tuesday, 5 miles tempo Weds and 8 miles off road today. Will leave it now till Sunday then try and do another 6 to 8 miles.
    Working up to do the keyworth turkey trot on the 11th of December so want to do a 12 miler one day next week.
    Anybody else on this thread doing Keyworth?
  • Options
    Blood In Urine

Dr examined me and said I was in pretty good fettle. Has taken samples to rule out infection etc. However FB you are spot on, runners haematuria.

Hoping to do 10 this Sunday. The views on top of the mountain should be spectacular this week end :)
  • Options
    LauraFLauraF ✭✭✭
    Training going well. Have been concentrating on running 5 days a week (20+ miles) to form a good basis for starting 'proper' training in about 3 weeks time. Enjoying the cold, although would prefer proper icy cold than the damp 'British' weather we have at the moment (watch me eating my words in a few weeks time!)

Planning to run the Sutton Beacon half in February. Trying to find a suitable 20 mile race in March.

Does anyone know if RW are doing their pacing runs this year?