Options

FLM 2006: closer to 4:00 than 4:30

Comments

• Options
    DC - thanks for the reassurance re Excel...

wow - it really is only 5 runs to go...I've slipped into robot mode recently where i get up at 6am and grind out the miles without thinking too much about it. The day itself seems to suddenly be upon us. Getting nervous/excited now...

I've been following the sub 4 hrs RW schedule but will realistically do 4.15-4.30

enjoy the final week....will we miss it when it's over...?
  • Options
    great 10k run last night, feeling pretty good despite being tired. My marathon dreams are back ! I dreamed that I forgot safety pins to put on my number (again) and it was only minutes away from the start. It was already 25 degrees and they were predicting the warmest day on record.

Well at least I am not dreaming about not finishing !
  • Options
    yd.I will be working for brother here in England, we make graphic kits for motocross bikes, karts & T-shirt printing as well. I will be working a trade stand at national motocross & kart meetings & local races at weekends, producing graphics during the wk. It has a great variety of jobs which will be more intersting. Be able to fly to spain occasionaly to help out there as well.
    May even get chance to ride motocross bike which havent done for 15years.
    Had a nice 5miles last night, only 4 runs now.
    Only 9days 21mins to go.
    Pompey ive heard queues arent to bad for registration, i should get there about 1pm.
    Good runs all
    Goodnes knows what ill do with all my spare time after!!
    Still not dreaming of running
  • Options
    NT - My wife is already singing that. I've been told that if I sign up for another marathon, my clothes will be in bin bags and the divorce papers in the post. Half marathons OK, full marathons NO.

WildeRover

Hmmmm, I wonder if I can get away with the Gloucester 20?
  • Options
    Hi guys

I am sitting at work (yes on good friday - grr) with ice on my shin praying it's shin splints and not a stress fracture - trying very very hard not to panic.
  • Options
    Ello, its getting nearer, just this time next week............well its a biggy innit. Don't know about anyone else but I'm just trying to avoid injury at the moment, its been a long haul and I don't fancy pulling something on a 4 mile training run !
  • Options
    Gymbunny get yourself to a physio. You need to know. Work can look after itself- your marathon comes first! Tell them i said so if your boss complains.

I actually enjoyed my run last night. Went up the club but decided to run easy at the speed session- a reverse pyramid of 5,4,3,2,1 with 1 min recoveries then back up to five. I ran with a friend and we just chatted. I was surprised at the end that everyone felt they had worked hard and we didn't but we had kept up with them. You really don't notice when you just chat.

I did have a dream last night but sadly it was that I drank a glass of white wine, spoiling my preparations as I've been on the wagon since 4th January. Maybe I'm just getting excited about drinking again, never mind the run.

Happy running over the weekend,
    DC
  • Options
    Gymbunny - I understand the panic, being there myself this week, and my heart goes out to you. I'm not going to run again until 23rd, even if my leg is good before that. Ice is great, but off with you now to a good physio. I'll be hoping he says shin splints and 9 days rest will fix you. Giant positive vibes in the air for you.

Mercury, are you still nursing the calf too??

I did an incredibly boring 35mins on the crosstraininer last night so I suppose that's the equivalent effort of about 3m on the legs. It's a good leg workout but I don't find it aerobically challenging so I'm hoping that my capacity won't reduce significantly noticably with 2 weeks off running. Still, if I have 2 legs to run on I'll be happy.
  • Options
    THanks guys - will phone now.
  • Options
    Ted, the calf appears fine now, think its just my body panicking, I have done the training , now the tapering is seeming to easy ! 12 miles to do on sunday to prove the body still works, next time i do a marathon (!) I'll lay off the speed sessions in the last few weeks
  • Options
    8 done today, now it's 6 on Sunday, 4 on Tuesday, 3 on Thursday.

Can't remember how many I'm doing next weekend, I'll have to check my schedule.

WildeRover
  • Options
    Just done some totting up, adding in bits and pieces and...............I think I've just made my Golden Bond target.

WildeRover
  • Options
    Well done WR, is that one of those £1000 targets ?

Last nights run was a really easy 5 miles, followed by a cold bath which did the trick with my legs
  • Options
    Well done Wilde Rover - one major target acheived then. My HB and I both had our own places but are raising money anyway and have found it quite hard - mainly cos I had a gold bond for new york - last OCtober so everyone has already sponsored us and are a little less generous this time around.

Mercury - it was the speed session that did me in I think. I have woken with no pain so will be walking around in my fetchiing birkenstocks(with the fab arch support) for the next week and bugger how daft I look. Roll on next Sunday...

Can't get physio appointment till Tuesday but no matter hwat he says - if pain is bearable I am running. I did my last marathon with IT Band Syndrome and limped to the start - so I should be used to this by now. Possibly never going to make the olympic team now though.
  • Options
    £1500 rather than £1000 - National Autistic Society.

WildeRover
  • Options
    Happy Easter All,

I'm not a happy Easter Bunny! I've still got a chesty cough from last weekend. I went for the speed session on wednesday thinking I felt better but all it did was set me off again. Not running today but I'll see if the 12 miler will be ok tommorow. The lack of running shouldn't affect the big day too much should it?

• Options
    I've just totted up my sponsorship so far - £1280 for MacMillan Nurses. I've still got some more at work to do plus some suppliers and customers are outstanding. I'll walk round with a jar of cough medicine if nec, to get sponsor money!
  • Options
    DoughBall - any update on the weather?
  • Options
    7 days from NOW!!!!

Latest weather on metcheck is a nice 11C with light rain/showers clearing.

I've woken up this morning with an acute sore throat (actually woke up at about 4 o'clock with it and didn't get much sleep after that). Currently pouring extreme amounts of blackcurrant squash down my throat. Fingers crossed.

6,4,3 to go.

WildeRover
  • Options
    Gymbunny, you'll be ok for the big day, you are sounding strong.
    Wilde Rover congrats on the amount you've raised. Ive raised about £600 but got place by ballot so at least it's a bit extra for cancer research.
    Had nice gentle 4 miles ysterday followed by a good massage, got rid of a few knots in legs they feel pretty good this morning. 12miles pm today.
    Bum bag order seems to have disappeared so looks like my highly unfashionable leather bag will be used. nevermind i wear under my shirt.
    not long now 6days 22hrs
  • Options
    Thanks Chukka - I only had a small twinge yesterday and so far am pain free today but I am not going to even attempt to run till Tuesday after I have seen my physio. That will be crunch time. HB is being very positive and keeps insiting its inflammation and not a stress fracture. I am not so sure but trying to keepmy chin up.

Happy running to every one today - last 'long' one till the big day - I am off to pack now as I am coming to London regardless of how the shin fares.
  • Options
    Great work on all the fundraising everyone. I've also reached target for Shelter UK. (£1500)
    Gymbunny, very sensible not to run til physio has a look.
    Wroot and WR, try your pharmacy for propolis (with echinacea if they have it), its great for upper resp/throat problems as well as a general 'kick the immune system up a notch' natural remedy. It starts to work almost immediately you take it. I'm bolstering up this week with echinacea and B complex.

I'm still off running so envy all you who are enjoying the short runs these days. I'm doing hot and cold treatments, massaging with ketoprofin and doing gentle stretching. Hoping and hoping that 7 more days will fix it enough to run the distance.

Is anyone doing the expo on friday afternoon?
  • Options
    Nurse T
    Thanks I'll try this stuff. I'm doing Expo Friday afternoon - about 3ish. I'm travelling down Fri morning, check into hotel so not sure what time I'll get there.
  • Options
    Done my 6 this morning, but feeling soooo drained this afternoon.

Throat is getting worse - hitting the echinacea and now crossing fingers and toes.

WildeRover
  • Options
    Just about to go for my run, which I believe is 12 but may chop it down
  • Options
    Yes we are going to the expo friday pm too. Flying down in the morning so not sure about time but def afternoon.
  • Options
    I am at the expo Saturday pm, my hotel is nearly next door, or so I have been led to believe
  • Options
    Mr ST obviously can't travel with me now but kids are still arriving sat. They should be in from heathrow to hotel about 3pm so hoping to be out at expo by about 4pm. Might prepare a little label with 'ST' on it so watch out for me. It'd great to meet up with some of you then.
  • Options
    8.5 miles of multi terrain in 1hr 16mins. Felt brill, just hope I feel this good next week.

Couple more runs of 3 or 4 miles in the week, but more stretching than running.

Best of luck to you all next week. See you all at the finish line.
  • Options
    was meant to do 12 miles today but just could not be arsed all day...put it off, read the paper, evetually dragged myself out and managed 2.65 miles before giving up. Nothing physical apart from slight ache in left shin - just mental - I've had enough! bring on the FLM!! Anyone else feeling like me? My training to date has been pretty consistent...

oh well i guess this means i'll feel bad about today and make sure I do my runs on Tues and Weds.