Options

FLM 2006: closer to 4:00 than 4:30

Comments

• Options
    anyone feeling depressed today ? I am sitting here at work and feel like crying, how strange because on Saturday I could not wait for it to be over.
  • Options
    Don't know what to say. I finished just behind Gordon Ramsay so the cameras were on him! Still I blew away all expectations and finished in 3.43.

I can't believe it myself!
    I'm so elated. I, too, burst into tears on the finish line and again when I got my medal. Felt such a fool.

Well done everyone. Thanks for your great support.

DC
  • Options
    Amazing day, well done WR for struggling on, the bottles nearly got me too and had to slow right down at some places to avoid them, then I was paranoid about slipping on gel packs and lucozade tops...

However still managed to keep 2 mins over my target pace for first 19, then slowed down for the last stretch but still managed 4:32. So so happy!

Emotions are getting me now - after seeing myself on a shot 'This Morning' showed earlier today. I really did do it! Just finishing was quite enough, Well done everyone!
  • Options
    Well done everybody, 4 hours 9 mins for me, had a really rough patch at around 22 miles but ohter than that a fantastic day, looking forward to entering next year and hopefully breaking 4hours!!!!
  • Options
    Great runs everyone. I can't believe it over. Depression hasn't hit yet - I'm still on a high, but I suppose later in the week it'll come.
    I squeezed in the sub4 - 3:59:48 - and am just elated with that. Steady 9min/miles to +24, then I suddenly felt a wall looming and decided drastic action was called for if I was to avoid it. I risked a very slow shuffle for few mins to properly top up with water and gather my reserves, and then I was over it,(it was only 1 brick high) and managed a sub9 last mile, with what felt like a mighty sprint over the last 400m to the finish. I don't know where I dragged that out of, but I'm so glad I did. 12 secs to spare - Phew!! Also, I never, ever want to eat another wine gum -

As a first timer, FLM goes down as one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and crossing the finish line will forever be the high spot of my running days. I felt really emotional. I also felt pain like I've never felt before when I stopped. Not too bad today though. Really sore quads but the rest of me is good.

THANK YOU to all you forumite friends for getting me through these months - I wouldn't have done it without you.
  • Options
    Chukka - didn't get to see you on sunday morning after all. The Graham driver who collected me had me stay on the minibus so I couldn't get over to your bus to say hi. I was disappointed.

WR,bad luck with that bottle but I admire your courage in keeping going with a bad hip. Well done.
    DC - always knew you were in the wrong forum - fantastic run.
    Mercury - go easy on yourself. You ran the marathon - injuries and all.

I feel like mother hen here, I'm so proud of everyone for doing so well.
  • Options
    well.... can't believe it's over!!! I finished in pretty repectable 4:34:14. Just been looking up people's finishing times and I beat the famous people I wanted to!!

I loved the day, had a bit of a wobble between 16 - 19, didn't think legs would keep going but I had seen my husband and my parents at 13.5 and knew they would be at 23.5 aswell so that kept me going and I was determined not to walk....

Well done evryone, any tips for how to train now, how long to rest for etc?

Emma
  • Options
    I was wondering how long to recover for, I was thinking of a month with no running but I'd go mad
  • Options
    Did anyone else think there were no mile markers between 13 and 16?? That really threw me off my stride.
  • Options
    I missed some mile markers and at least 2 water stops
  • Options
    Morning all,

it looks like you all put in some real efforts with some good times or just determined to get to finish.
    I managed 4.55. Two weeks not running did me in. Legs felt heavy at 10 miles and I got slower and slower with more walking than running. Met up with a fellow Macmillan runner at 22 miles and he helped me to finish.
    Wilde Rover - know how you felt - I was chocking back tears at end - so exhausted.
    But I'll do another - I've got a sub 4 in me!
    Well done everyone
  • Options
    good morning everyone,

well thinking about 2007 and closer to 4:00 than 4:30 (at least, that's the plan) assuming I get in.

feeling tired today but no longer depressed, legs starting to recover and tonight a 20 min. easy bike ride to get some blood pumping to help repair so I can go for a nice easy 10 mile run on Saturday.

I forgot to record the BBC coverage, did anyone record it and if so could you burn me a copy.....I would love to see it and keep it as a souviner and of course would cover whatever costs.

thanks
  • Options
    Well done everyone - what a day. Managed 4:25 and a bit! Felt very dejected immediately after the race but as time goes by remember loads of great bits and sights and sounds and now think I loved it. Good points - flushing loos with wooden seats at start, sweet tea at start, amazing crowds and noise generally, I LOVE running on roads with no traffic, medal, t-shirt...and exploring contents of goody bag on way home in car! Bad points - water bottle avoidance, men p*****g anywhere (even against portaloos), people walking 3 abreast in the middle of the track, vittel water as it tastes revolting.
    I'm on cloud 9, looking forward to a wee stretching jog (2 miles) this evening, and have just agreed to do another one next year - I will never run such a long way by myself again as its tooooo lonely - with a couple of mates one of which is soon (God willing) to have a liver transplant.
    Thanks for all your support over the last few months x
  • Options
    Well. I cant believe i done it!
    I managed a time of 4.00.07 on my watch as i crossed the line. I felt a little disappointed to start, then relised what i'd done. Got a txt from a friend Sunday night to give me my official time of 3.59.56. what can i say, i had a near perfect race, everything has gone according to plan from day one.
    But it could have been different on the day. I was pllodding along in my own wolrd for first 11miles, until a lady near was talking to someone about doing 4hrs & i thought hang on that was my plan so i decided to up the tempo a little. Never found even a little mortar of the wall. got to 20miles still feeling pretty good, legs slightly heavy, met same lady from 11miles at approx 23miles, she said she was done so i pushed on again, last 3 miles well inside 9min/mile, sprinted the finish. After i'd done it didnt have feelings i expected. The thing that really made the whole thing was yesterday i walked across tower bridge about same time as i was running on Sunday, really brought whole weekend home to me. Well done everybody else on times, we got round & thats the most important thing.
    On the day i said never again but im alreay thinking maybe one more.
    Good luck to one & all for your futures. Ill keep looking on here for next few days for everybody else to report in.
    It was an ecxperience ill never forget.
    Thank you for your support & help over last 4mths.
  • Options
    BW, someone recorded the coverage for me, I think it's on 3 discs. When I get them I'll gladly do a copy for you, email me with your address and I'll send them out - just hope it won't be too long, I really want to see the coverage myself!

I'll be running again next year too if I can... I've got the bug. Also, really hoping I'll get a place for New York in November now....!!!
  • Options
    RB, thanks thats great ! I will email you shortly, I felt so desperate as I forgot to record it before I left. I am also hoping I am going to get a place for NYC in November too.

Chukka, well done, I knew from your training times and your attitude you were going to do well.
  • Options
    Hi everyone - sounds like a real mixed bag of results.

I managed to take 31 mins off my time and finished in 4:11. I am over the moon.

Was on track for under 4 10 but at 22 I just couldn't stay on pace and had to slow down. But what an amazing day, the organisation was mind blowing and I can't wait to do it again.

During the race I promised myself I wouldn't do another one for at least a year but now (while still pretty stiff) I reckon I will prob do edinburgh in June. Got a bit race a week on Sunday too so that is stopping me from getting too blue. DO NOT want to do any work today however. Noone at my office seems to appreciate what I have just done.............

And I was on the telly - oohh for about 10ns.
  • Options
    thanks Brent.
    I think my mother in law has recorded the race on sky+. I'll try & get a look at it sometime, hopefully she will have it all.
    Well done gymbunny.
    I really wish i could have met up with some of you over the weekend but sadly we didnt, being on my own was the only sad part of the whole thing. But if i do it again i will be part of a club so will be going with friends. I did manage to meet with some friends from club after run.
    Also found result on official site which give splits at various distances & half way, i had a negative split of 2:01:47 for 1st half.
    I was sick of lucozade at the end of the day i must say.
  • Options
    gymbunny, thats great especially after some pre-race worries.

I also wish I could have met up with some of you, I was looking for you guys during the race but gave up after awhile, I be we all ran near each other at some point.

Chukka, I found running it alone a bit depressing too, my partner could not attend but was really lifted by the number of people yelling my name for encouragement. I almost puked lucozade at some point so stopped drining it and stuck to my gels.
  • Options
    looking at the finish times it looks like Depth Charge has taken the crown for the people i have race numbers for. But i still say a fantastic job done by all.
    Caramel i hope you come on here to check all the messages & i hope we have done you proud. next year you can keep telling us what race time you finish in as well & you will have a young supporter following you im sure. Thank you for starting this thread, without you guys to talk too i dont know where i'd be with whats happened this year, its bringing a lump to my throat & a tear to my eye writing this as i dont want to loose you as friends.
    Yellowdog, will probably still see you around local races & hopefully meet BPS as also fairly local.
    For all others if our paths dont cross, good luck & happy runnings.
    Ps, im still going to check on here for next few days or weeks.
  • Options
    Chukka - Absolutely brilliant run and I am sure we'll see each other at local races. I should be around until 2008. Have fun at your new job!

Shy Ted - Fantastic!! I bet the recovering Mr. Ted is filled to bursting with pride!

Gym Bunny, Rainbow Brite, Brent West, Blue Pete, and everyone else I haven't already congratulated - well done! I am so proud of all of us.

I was lucky enough to also have "real" running partners, but this forum has been essential and irreplacable to me. I looked forward to checking in a couple times a day and loved reading everyone's progress. When I was at a low point it was nice to see that others were also having some worries and then it was great when we all rallied around each other. I'll continue checking in for a while because I really do love our forum, but for those of you moving on with your lives thank you so much for being part of my FLM experience!! Amy
  • Options
    Chukka, I will be at the Norwich half so maybe catch you then!
  • Options
    BPS, hopefully i will be there as well, depends on the new job & what races are on that weekend
  • Options
    I'm suffering withdrawal now. I'm feeling post marathon blues setting in. Also as is usual with me, no matter what the race, I start wondering if I could have done things differently.... a daft waste of time I know.

Have you seen our training schedule for this week? It makes me feel sad and happy all at once!

I was quite mobile on Monday day, but by monday evening it was stairs on hands and knees. My quads were useless. Did anyone else have delayed onset pains? Now, the aches are all gone but I'm really tired. Off for yet another early night now.

I hope we'll all check in here once in a while and discuss current training plans and races etc.... I'm definitely applying for FLM 2007.
    I have the Brussels 20km in 4 weeks and am going to set myself a challenging time target so that I continue to train properly. It'd be a shame to let it all slip.

Gymbunny, well done on a great run.
    I think I got the rest of you on my last post.
  • Options
    ST - I was fine Sunday, sore Monday day, and even more sore Monday evening and Tuesday. I was holding the toilet seat to brace myself and holding onto the walls to get off the loo! I'm sure it was very entertaining. Today I'm feeling fine - just a slight soreness in my quads and some tightness above my right achilles. I'll probably do a few miles Saturday to work out the kinks. Don't bother yourself with overthinking the race - a sub4 - you should just bask in the glow of a great run!! :)
  • Options
    I've recovered enough to fancy a small run tomorrow but I promised myself a weeks rest at least
  • Options
    I had a nice 5 miler last night with local group from shop.
    Shy Ted I know where your coming from with doing things different, i want to do another marathon as i think i could knock several minutes of this one, not down because of it, just i now know what it's like to do the distance. Would like to do a marathon with less crowds where you can run forwards for 26.2 miles.
  • Options
    Quads a bit stiff yesterday, went out for 2 miles last night and did 3.5 @ 9mm and feel ok. Felt very light on my feet and fairly strong - garmin was buzzing and beeping but didn't look at it once. I think I'll only use it as a stopwatch for a while and then see what it says when I've downloaded it.
    I too will dip in and out of this forum as I think next year becons!
    Enjoy your weekends.
  • Options
    Did a 4 miler yesterday. The first two miles were very creaky and gentle, but then things loosened up and I was running freely for the second two miles.

I am banned from training for any more marathons now - but I might find that my Half Marathon training includes some runs over the half marathon distance. Just to improve stamina for running HMs of course - not as marathon training, no siree!

WildeRover
  • Options
    I will be off for my first post marathon jog tonight. I am still a little sore in weird places but can't wait to get going again. Less than 2 months till my next marathon - I must be mad.